Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Got into this series with Golden last month. Played it a couple times through and absolutely loved it. Just finished my first run of Royal and, my word, the sheer amount of style in that game is incredible. I like the story in 4 better overall, as well as the more light-hearted tone, but 5 beats it out in combat gameplay. My favorite confidant is probably Death from 4.

Fojar38 posted:

I was more referring to the fact that the party basically never uses Morgana as a way to easily gather intelligence in the real world despite the fact that he's a cat and can go lots of places and be unassuming and people will keep talking even if he's around. He could have single handedly identified and located Kaneshiro in an afternoon if that had occurred to anyone.

But then he wouldn’t be able to comment on all of your text messages and where you were allowed to travel.

Also, how is Ann struggling at all in school? She sits right in front of you and Morgana, who narrates all the test questions/answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Instead, she grew up, changed her name to Ohya, and became a drunken journalist.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

My first time through 4G I went with Yukiko and my first time through 5R I went with Makoto, so maybe I just think the Priestess confidants are the most interesting.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just wish the romance was acknowledged in the story. I could see keeping a relationship with Hifumi a secret, but there's no way any of your teammates wouldn't tell at least one other about dating you. The harem thing is just stupid as a concept.

Also, same sex partners and female MC should be available too.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

All of the rejections in 4 (save Chie, I think) were brutal like Haru's. Kinda surprised you can't just say "I'm already dating someone" though, in either game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, the triple threat of Snowflakes, Reach out to the Truth, and Heaven makes P4G one of my favorite games for soundtracks alone. Not to mention Shadow World and its video that must be watched in its entirety every time you boot up the game or else you're a monster.

Wudz posted:

I'm not sure if it's because I happened to hear it at the right time in my life or what, but Snowflakes still hits pretty deep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTbH43n77Q

Chie is like 15 feet in the air in that picture.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

later on I wake up with Morgana next to me but Morgana is human.

Oh I loved that scene.

mastajake fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 28, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm clearly in the minority, but I really liked Teddie. He was, admittedly, grating at times, but I overall thought he was a good addition.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I didn't mind the Ann rejection on my first playthrough, though the wording used to do so was stilted. The ones for Haru and Sumire were pretty rough though, yeah.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just love that (Persona 5 late game spoiler) Igor's voice change was actually relevant. I thought they just decided to go in a different direction, and was weirded out, but then there was actually a reason.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Acerbatus posted:

For longtime persona fans the first hint it's not just a new direction is him referring to it as "my" velvet room

Ah, I only played 4G before 5R, so I noted that it was different, but not enough to be a clue. I also was thrown off by noticing the pancakes thing the first time through. It tipped me off that Akechi was important, but not that he would be the villain.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The part where everyone called him stupid was good enough to make up for the awkwardness though IMO.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

ajkalan posted:

He's really Psi-ched to see you.

For real?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

One of my favorite touches is that Joker isn’t wearing his fake glasses in the flashbacks, so it’s clear he wanted to wear them to try to start over on the dl at his new place. He’s really trying (depending on your dialogue choices, of course), and that bastard Kamoshida just ruins it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

HaB posted:

So.....LOOOOOOOVED P4A.

Yeah, just watched it based on the recommendation and loved it too. Agree about Aika, and Yu's character too. Yosuke and Teddie were about as.......bearable.......as they were in the game for me. Still some icky personality traits, but I still liked them. The peak for me was the summer duology. Getting to watch Yu do all the simplified secondary s-links and it all tying together with Nanako's story was great. The fishing scene set to I'll Face Myself was just perfect.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I didn’t dislike Yumi, but I certainly didn’t like her enough to not leave her hanging in that awkward scene. I thought it was funny that she is basically the only character left out of P4A.

Lord_Magmar posted:

You know what's wild, Kanji and Futaba are the same age in their respective games.

Kanji and Ayane are the same age in the same game. The game actually comments on it via classmate gossip, though it uses Rise as a reference instead of Kanji.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, P4 did villain scenes, but it was always something like "Unknown voice: "Again?"", or the hilarious "Unknown voice: "..."".

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Made some curry tonight and have leftovers, so I’m considering having a Joker morning tomorrow, with curry for breakfast with my coffee.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah. And it is possible to max out all.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm playing through P4G again right now actually. I'm hoping to get the Risette trophy this time, as it's all I'm missing, but we'll see.

Still love Teddie tho.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, I forgot how amazing the juxtaposition of the bad news and the setting is after the Okumara palace.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I definitely prefer Teddie to Morgana. I don't dislike Morgana particularly, but having the player's inner monologue get replaced by talking to your companion just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't mind it in games like Zelda with a silent protagonist, but didn't like it here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I can't recall what doc I have installed for the Persona 5 Royal persona calculator and it's real frustrating. Pretty sure I just downloaded everything free though.

Question, in mementos, there is a trophy for getting all the stamp upgrades.

I'm at the end of the original game now descending into mementos to kill the treasure boss and I'm missing like ~12? Are they recurved in the post original game content or something?

I just went floor down / floor up repeatedly until I got both a Futaba floor show power and a visible stamp. There's one on each floor guaranteed by the exit, but the remaining ones are random.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, the FeMC music in P3P is so good.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

DC Murderverse posted:

I will say that there’s nothing more funny than the thought of a table of Joker, Ryuji and Morgana out-clevering the boy genius for a full 3-round sweep with Akechi as the Beggar. He absolutely should flip the table in game if that happens.

I love the thought that Akechi was so cocky about his plan and wasn’t careful enough because when he met the group for the first time it was just the doofus squad, and he couldn’t imagine them ever being a threat.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Disappointed Morgana isn’t a Cats-style abomination.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Pwnstar posted:

Ann and Ryuji are both goofy idiots and also real and strong and my friends.

Doofus squad ftw.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

https://twitter.com/SnapsCube/status/1586541037496983552?s=20&t=ZWRQceopChjF-12H8Fea9g

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

She's gonna lose it all trying to get a local coffee place off the ground. Sojiro's gonna wreck her once she starts being actual competition.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, what are you supposed to do about Mamudo spam in the 70s floors? I’m playing on beginner or whatever, so I can restart the battles, but it’s not like a humonculus is easy to come by. How in the world are people doing this without easy restarts?

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Did you accept the quest for the item that Elizabeth wants BEFORE that date or before Evening? If not, you won't get the item. The guides really should be updated to mention that.

I think you can go get the request and then come back and it will work. Not 100% sure, but I think I did it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Petiso posted:

The problem is Junpei is at the dorm, there's no access to the Velvet Room in the dorm and going out finishes the night slot the moment you go back to the dorm even if you didn't do any activity that passes time, so if they saved during the evening slot they can't complete the quest.

I never played the original or FES, but it doesn't work that way in portable at night. I like to use that time to buy stuff before going to Tartarus the same night, since I won't need money for anything else at that point. Sunday daytimes it locks you out once leaving though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Any trick to quest 72 in P3P? Supposedly the treasure can only be found on floors 3 or 8 and I keep striking out on floor 3.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Did they change it to where your weapons carry over in NG+ in P5G for this port? Not really worth grinding the Reaper or stones for the pub otherwise.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I gave Persona 4 Golden a shot because of Fire Emblem Three Houses (and because the PC port came out right when I was still playing three houses) and loved it. So I will second FETH. It is way different gameplay though.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I played P3P as FeMC a few months back and didn't realize the protagonist died at the end at all.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Makoto is great because she is so judgmental of doofus squad but then joins in on all the antics anyway.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Clearly you aren't Izanagi, Arist.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

For real?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Have they released the remix for the second semester post school theme?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I personally have much more fun with the games when I follow a guide, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It would have kickass music.