Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do consumables used in mental battles disappear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how are the story and characters so far

On a scale from cargo cult FFT to 10

I like the story and characters, everyone has reasonable views on things and I like the Scales of Conviction mechanic. I also like that unlike FFT or whatever, AFAICT, it's a pure medieval politics story and does not turn into Oh, BTW, there's an EVIL DEMON BEHIND EVERYTHING!!!!!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone figured out what the damage formulas actually are? Like how much additional damage does a point of strength add, how much does defence help, is weapon potency better or worse, how much damage does a crit add?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I prefer English Frederica to her Japanese voice.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

A possible weakness of SRPGs without job systems or randomized generic squadmates is that you spend big chunks of game time without a full squad load out or the ability to meaningfully tailor your squad. I'm thinking of good old Shining Force 2 - though I love it to death - and how a team comp dream of say "four centaur cavalry" or "two blaster mages" is only a dream for too many missions.

Is this the same? If I'm taken with the idea of using like half of my roster on archers can I do it without delay?

The short answer is no. You eventually unlock a bunch of archers etc but you can't really build that kind of group until quite a ways in.

The long answer is that you don't really want to. The scenarios are designed around mixed compositions, and the different archers fill different niches anyway. There's an archer focused around status ailments and area control, one around pure damage, one who is a mobile elemental archer, one that also places traps. If you bring too many mages you'll find yourself running out of mana, and some of the mages really anti-synergise with each other. You're better off building a powerful mage or archer, and using support characters to buff their damage and increase the number of turns they get and the number of times they can use their best abilities.

Even just putting a melee character on the other side of a target for your archers would double your damage output due to follow-up attacks. Cohesive teams are the name of the game.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 22, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah like Aesfrost is a meritocracy to an extent, the game makes this really clear whenever anyone talks about access to the archives. But you're not gaining power from the Duchy with Gustadolf at the helm. And Gustadolf trusts his family more than most.

I never really saw him as a mustache twirling villain though. The twins, yes, but Gustadolf invades Glebrook with good reason.

He knows that with the right positioning and enough time he can make a play to control the entire continent and that scans with his belief in meritocracy and might making right. Like he's not doing that just for the sake of being cruel, he's doing it because he genuinely thinks his way of life is better. (Well that and more power = good by that same way of life)

Also Hyzante would never accept an alternative source of salt. So the moment Dragan finds the salt crystals, a war with Hyzante will come sooner or later and Gustadolf would rather strike according to his timetable, not Hyzante's.

I'm on NG+ now, and I feel like going to Aesfrost paints them much more positively than going to Hyzante paints Hyzante. I mean Hyzante is all "kill the heretics", you have the ice mage defecting under false pretenses (instead of being sent away with Sycra's blessing like Rufus), you've got the mysterious secret experiments wing of the hospital, and the whole thing is culty as gently caress.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's sort of amusing how House Wolfhort basically picks up every single legendary warrior in the land.

Edit: and also a child who is good at juggling

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 22, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

Yes it does and it rules

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Exharme isn't really evil, IMO, unless there's something I missed from a route I haven't played yet. He's just invested in getting on top of the system he's born in. Booker is a ruthlessly loyal attendant, it just happens his boss is awful.

I appreciated the irony with Sorsley that Sorsley's "crime" is honestly the least amoral thing he does. His monstrous behaviour towards the Roselle is indeed fully condoned by the Hyzantian church.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 25, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Besides the point of the mechanic is that you convince people over to your point of view. I got an unanimous vote, even.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Do you not notice that all the hidden items are indicated by sparkles?

EDIT: VVV That's fair

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 27, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

poe meater posted:

Is it more interesting to smuggle salt or telling him to gently caress off?

Both lead to interesting consequences, if you want to play through the game again to get the Best Ending (it's rather recommended that you do so, because otherwise the final true ending battles will be super hard, and it's not easy to get the best ending without a guide), leave the choice of smuggling the salt to last.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The events of chapter 17 made it pretty easy to surrender Mr Prince to Aesfrost, at least.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I recommend you focus on a core group of 12-14 or so units for your first play through, then level up the rest for NG+.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I've never liked FFT very much. Triangle Strategy is far better in my view.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Roland isn't the best unit but he's okay if you play conservatively with him.

I think Hossadora, Piccoletta and Giovanna need buffing. Hossadora having be brave self heal might be enough, I'd also reduce catapult to 2 tp.

Piccoletta could have a skill that gives a 50% chance thrown offensive items are not consumed. Or just make it 2 TP to throw an offensive item and not consume it.

Give Giovanna an ability to generate a random effect on a tile (grass, fire, ice or water) so she's more self-sufficient.

To be honest if there's one change I'd want them to make, it's to make it so that the inventory screen shows which units you've deployed.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 7, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Beating the army on hard mode w/o burning down any buildings felt like an accomplishment. Good game.

Avoiding most spoilers on it, but I've caught a few folks saying they wish they knew some materials were limited. Are there any materials (medals? silver?) I should be cautious about immediately dumping into my A-team?

The bird archer is entirely broken. Love her for it.

There isn't enough medals of valor to promote everyone to Elite, even after two playthroughs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

What do you retain between New Game +'s? Sounds like you might keep the party members throughout, tho curious how that works out.

You keep most things. Party members, exp, conviction, items, cash. You aren't allowed to use certain party members on certain missions though. No mirror matches.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Finally escaping Elden Ring's gravitational pull so I just bought this. Been looking forward to it, especially after hearing positive impressions.

Anything to know before going in? I get the feeling this is probably best experienced fairly blind story-wise for a first playthrough but I'm curious to know if there are any spoiler-light tips or pitfalls to avoid or anything like that.

The game is quite slow going at the start but it does improve later.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also don't upgrade mage weapon damage. It doesn't increase their magic damage, only melee.

This is wrong, I think there's a UI issue or something IIRC but it definitely does upgrade skill damage.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's fastest if you use Narve and his ridiculous extended range wind spell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It has a happier ending at least.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just drown your sorrows in "mock battles".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I would kinda suggest that players don't go for it on the first playthrough. FWIW, there's still some variability in what you can pick and still get the Golden route.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

When you get the opportunity to unlock upgrades for your units, focus on ability unlocks and passive effects first, the stat bonuses have a comparatively minor impact.

Look for glimmering spots in the exploration phases, those are secret items.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's options arising out of picking to go to Aesfrost at the start of the game. Not sure if it applies to this choice though.

Generally speaking though you're failing because you haven't been Moral enough in your conversation choices.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

Kind of agree with this. The splitting of the forces thing came out of nowhere and made me hate that I couldn't upgrade everyone. That said, I also don't think I'll be replaying the game for a long while and it's nice to know what the "true" ending is. If you're absolutely loving the game and already know that you're going to turn right around and play into NG+ then don't worry about it.

I think you'd be better off playing to a normal end and watching the Golden Ending on youtube in this case.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arist posted:

Enjoying the game a lot so far, just hit Chapter 7. Have some questions, though: am I expected to grind the mental mock battles for exp? I'm finding the recommended level is outpacing me a bit. Also, is there ever going to be a good way to get materials for upgrades/promotions?

If any of your units are below the recommended level, they get a huge amount of bonus XP whenever you do anything. So you shouldn't really ever have to grind - though I'd usually play the newest unlocked mock battle in between chapters anyway. Late in the game/in new game plus there might be more of a need to grind to get left-behind units up to level. Cash and materials will be in more plentiful supply later on also.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That map wasn't too bad for me. I put Hughette on a house in the middle of the map and just shot Rufus again and again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think I'd compare it to Freedom Force, though that's real time with pause.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think it makes a bit more sense in the give up Roland route, since Wolffort's built up the reputation of being ruthless opportunists, so backstabbing Roland seems quite in character.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The recommended level is more like a maximum level, I was usually slightly below it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I've just recruited two characters whose abilities revolve around using items, but items are expensive and the game really isn't handing out a lot of money.

Is the idea that you'll grind mock battles for cash?

Essentially those characters are NG+ characters. Medina in particular is crazy strong at higher levels and NG+ hands out gold to you like candy. You shouldn't especially need to grind for money.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I will have to give Decimal a try, I was put off by his moveset because I thought it might require thought lol.

I have not used the other two max conviction recruits yet either, can someone break down what they do well and when you like to use them? Especially the time boy.

Time boy is mostly a utility character with a teleport/swap positions ability and an ability that effectively extends the duration of buffs. He however also has a couple of Ridiculously Broken shenigans abilities that utterly break the game if you take full advantage of him.

EDIT:^^^ Reverse space-time, for example. The important thing is that unit TP is also restored, so using him with Julio means you can use it infinitely. Further, enemies that are killed stay dead. So you can loop RST over and over focus-killing one enemy at a time.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 20, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Don't the shops restock every other chapter? Anyway chapter 15 should leave plenty of time for you to be able to buy it again.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can recruit most characters in two playthroughs but you need four to recruit everyone. After one playthrough you can recruit about 2/3rds of the roster.

In later playthroughs you will get more details about how unlocks work etc. I wouldn't advise trying to optimise the first time round. Just play how you feel is appropriate.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 6, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Piccoletta is theoretically decently powerful with her decoy but I don't really enjoy using her. I think you are too beholden to the AI cooperating.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I really like this somber version of the main theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sHJjymsuGM

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I wouldn't put Medina in S tier for new game. You get her pretty early and she doesn't get her best abilities until quite late. Plus money is short on your first playthrough, so using her slows down getting your other characters upgrades.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I would have guessed technique points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It doesn't just remove status, it can also extend status effects, like Erador's invincibility and the Act Twice Benedict grants..