Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Another gripe I have is the names of the items.

Gonna give Hughette an HP Pellet in Triangle Strategy :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think they employ some form of random sampling. I never seem to get 'em neither, not that I've played this one quite yet.

But oh boy did I download it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Whoops, should've saw this yesterday. Already out of stock.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Post-script: I want to acknowledge that there are definitely hard battles later in the game. One that springs to mind immediately is the battle on the rooftops with Elmdore and his lady friends.

Was that the FFT fight where you had an AI member on your team and you lost if they died?

I was so low level when I got there that three times out of four they'd go first, rush the enemy, and get killed. All before any of my characters got a turn.

In the 25% chance I got to provide input turn two did not go much better.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Played through to the first battle last night. Voice acting (or perhaps direction) is indeed a bit silly but I don't mind.

The lounge/swing/cabaret influences on the soundtrack has been a pleasant surprise.

Game looks better with the dark borders and depth-of-field off, but I wish the sprites weren't blurry.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Triangle Strategy: Might Makes Right (Triangles)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah my thought was in general everyone was underacting.

Then I got a scene with Dragan and at first I'm like, this guy's underacting but I think I like him anyway. Then he started overacting.

Got me some good giggles given the contrast, but I don't like squinting my eyeballs these days so I'll leave it in English and hope for more Dragan.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Junpei posted:

Do you feel like Serenoa and Frederica actually love each other? I've heard some people saying their relationship feels natural, while other people say that it feels stiff and purely political despite them being very kind to each other.

I was super excited about going to Aesfrost 'cause it's obviously way cooler (zing!) at the end of Chapter 3 but then I found out Frederica wanted to experience the plight of her ancestors and I'd be a terrible forced partner if I was like, "Nah babe. Not everyone got to grow up on cool snowy mountain like you did."

So they're at least well-enough written that I empathize with their situation.

Though if it weren't a game lauded for its supposed consequences then you bet I would've been a bad husband.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is there a New Game + and if so do you start with your levels or gear or any carryover stuff?

Don't think I want to maintain branching saves if it's not strictly necessary but I also don't know how much I'd want to replay early battles.

It'd be nice if they did that visual novel thing where you could just warp to a decision point.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

No Mods No Masters posted:

THE DioFIELD CHRONICLE

Why is it that I like the name Project: Triangle Strategy but not The DioField Chronicle?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I am digging the options in combat more than I thought I would. Not super far in (Chapter 7 Part 2?) but I haven't really resorted to the same strategy from battle to battle.

And if I ever make a JRPG you're going to get experience per action based on the average / expected level (whatever catchup system they have here) and definitely keep the experience gained but not the items lost upon wipe.

I'm not sure why no one to my knowledge has made JRPGs xp-per-action but that's a glaring oversight considering how often you'll get walled by a boss and how unsatisfying it is to backtrack.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jens is my man.

Give him the item that lets him act first so he can drop an immediate ladder, have everyone run up it, lay some spring traps at the base.

Then wonder why the AI decides to not even bother moving toward the party on their turns.

Anna takes the rear!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For half a sec I thought someone should make a Jens-movement-shenanigans puzzle/pinball SRPG, then I remembered that Into the Breach is a masterpiece. If anyone likes SRPG combat as a mechanical puzzle and hasn't checked that one out, it's brilliant.

Also Triangle Strategy needs to effect change amongst its editorial staff that way I might have an affect change. That's twice in the same cutscene.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YOUR PRIDE!

I haven't yet got to that point but I forgot that both that option exists and also that Quietuses exist. Possibly because I can't pronounce them or maybe because they're unique(ish) to this game and not tied to a character.

I've bought a handful of cool ones and to date I've never remembered that they exist in combat.

Probably doesn't help that I tend to shop before I save before I sleep.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got to a story fight where the recommended level was 16 and Benedict was mandatory. My Benedict was level 3 because I didn't really care about that attack buff he started with.

Took me three tries to beat it (finally used a Quietus) and now Benedict is level 11 or so and he's gonna see a lot more use in fights. There's never a turn where I don't wanna either defense buff or movement buff someone.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Keep standing in it. Duh.

I do think that one of the strengths of this game is that the characters themselves have enough mechanical variety and interest that at least through Chapter XI I haven't used all the characters as much as I want to, and at least before I've tried a map I often have to think long and hard about who can make the cut because 9 or 10 is never quite the 11 or 12 best buddies I seem to have at any given time.

I was usin' Frederica a lot 'til I got rainy day lady, but now she's best girl. 66% chance for 2-turn stun is almost the same as OHKO.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

poemdexter posted:

Dodeca Squadron

Dodecadungeon.

OC do not steal -- I've got pages of notes about things in multiple of 12 (12 classes, 12 skills per class, 12 bosses, 12 floors of dungeon, 12 options each with 12 value settings...). Feel free to steal 'cause I'm exceedingly unlikely to finish that project.

Pun driven development is a thing and Triangle Strategy could use more strategic triangles. Nobody even calculates castle wall height using bowstring, shadows, and the Pythagorean theorem!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’ve said this several times but it’s worth repeating: the unlockable option is often a red herring. You have to choose based on the character’s personality.

There was an answer I really wanted to pick but I didn't because I was trying to speak Erador's language and he was all, "I'm glad you're enthusiastic and all but we really need to be more serious about this." and voted against me.

Made the characters feel like they had more depth. Clearly I need to strengthen Serenoa's convictions.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vegetable posted:

Turtling is far too successful a strategy for this game. It never gets boring but I consistently get slayed when I try to be aggressive.

Yes in general though I just died on Securing Whiteholm Bridge twice trying to turtle and the third time I said screw it, I'm rushing Thalas' half of the units and that run went a lot better. Granted I had a few more levels by then and knew how to fly Hughette and teleport Archibalt on top of the two archer pillars on the far side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I highly doubt it but, does Benedict's Twofold Turn give Anna four turns?

I'm not 100% certain but I think recipients of Twofold Turn only get the one TP that they would've gotten for the beginning of their first turn.

Good thing auto-attacks don't cost TP.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Just got to the climax decision and drat does this game pull a bug-eyed situation out of left field.

Went down Frederica's route and: Benedict :magical:

One thing I was wondering -- is it possible to have a tie during 3-choice votes, and does the game do anything interesting because of it?

I was thinking of trying to force one but I also enjoy playing this game without re-making decisions even when they don't go my way. So I didn't wanna risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They honestly need to apply the whole experience system to all JRPGs -- experience on hit, keep it on death, scale real fast if you're behind.

Then you could grind or avoid combat as much as you wanted and bosses would still take no more than a couple of tries -- maybe one to learn the gimmick, at most one more to git gud, and there's no way you're losing the third one which is good 'cause you've already seen what it has to offer by then.