Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The demo actually has 3 completely different maps in it, as the branching point causes the story to veer in two totally different directions with a different map. I found the one where you surrender Roland to be much harder than the one where you protect him.

Definitely agree that it needs a better tutorial, but basically yes TP generates at a rate of 1 per turn no matter what. If you wait or take a non-TP action you can save it up for your more costly abilities. There's a recruitable character (don't know what the requirements are) who also serves as a TP battery. It was pretty interesting how many purely support based characters there are.

The colored squares are a bit tricky to distinguish yeah. I didn't have the blue purple trouble, but in the map with the fire traps I was trying to see their exact borders but the orange squares were overlapping with my character's always present purple movement squares so I couldn't see them properly.

I liked it a lot overall, the story was interesting enough and I'd really like to see where it goes with the branching paths. This one example makes it SEEM like it could get huge and complicated but many games have promised and failed to deliver things like that before.

My biggest gripe so far is how bad the voice acting is, Serenoa in particular. Definitely gonna say something about that in the survey because yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I managed to swing a unanimous vote to protect the prince the first time, but then actually failed to get Frederica to give him up the second go around. The persuasion mechanic does have potential to be very interesting, though it seems like at least as presented here it would always be easy to save and try again if you didn't get the outcome you wanted. Maybe morality choices will make that more complex later on, I dunno.

I hope it all turns out good, it's got me looking forward to it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ezana is great on the give up the Prince route because that map's gimmick involves flammable
terrain and if you don't want to deal with it her rain spell just lets you say gently caress that and eliminate it permanently.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dackel posted:

Wait there's more than just the water shaman lady?

Three total it seems!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know people love job systems and customization, but I really hope it plays it rather straight with just simple classes with maybe a promotion of sorts. I know I have issues with choice paralysis, but aside from that, tactics games need to be balanced and the more customization you have, the harder it is to get that balance right since you now have too many parameters.

It's definitely my least favorite thing from modern FE aside from the often cliché-riddled writing.

I hope so too, I'd really like the choices being in who you want to use based on truly unique and different things each character brings to the party.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't think anyone REALLY knows yet. All people know is that it seems to have more to do with your hidden morality stat from those choices, and less to do with the route you take in the big decision. I got Julio and Ezana both times, which makes sense because I reloaded from a save right before the persuasion point so my earlier morality choices were preserved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I get there are two separate battles depending on whether you give up the prince, somebody said there’s a third battle? What is it? Keep the prince but don’t learn about the secret weapon?

I said there are three battles total. That is, including the first one before the branching point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Did they get a new English VA for the main character, or at the very least have that guy give it another pass? Because he was the weak link for me.

Don't see anything about that in the changes but god I hope so. He was AWFUL

Looks like they took most of the other common complaints into account though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still not clear enough on how that system works to make a choice like that in advance. I'll just follow my instincts and see how the story unfolds before diving into how it actually functions in a later playthrough perhaps

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finally got this and finally had time to beat my first playthrough. It was pretty great and I'm eager to replay to see more choices and endings (and I hear there's a True Ending to be found as well).

My question right now though - is there an easy way to switch up what characters I'm using? I was hoping to try out people I didn't use in the previous playthrough but since enemy levels are now at endgame tier, I can't just swap out and start with the new folks. Is there anyway to do that other than grinding mock battles (which doesn't seem fun) or should I just resign myself to using the same team until I can recruit new people who are up to my level?

E: Prime example, I really wanted to use Roland this time since I'm gonna take the path where you don't turn him over, but he's still level 10 from where I stopped using him last time.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 17, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah yeah that makes sense. I hadn't really thought about how much exp they'd get for being that underleveled. I'll run through the mock battles once to get em checked off again and then i'll pick some people to start bringing along to future fights.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I used Medina and Piccoletta this second playthrough and it's definitely not too hard to keep the healing items stocked, though this may be because I had a healthy stock built up from the first run. Piccoletta though I found her bonus to item damage wasn't enough to be worth the money. I just use Decoy and Copycat.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man Decimal is my favorite character in the game. What a concept, FFXIV's mathbot as a cute lil barrel who blasts enemies from a million miles away.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really love the huge conflict that happens in the aftermath of the last 3 way choice. So far I've seen Roland lose his poo poo at Seranoa trying to usurp him and Benedict have a loving stroke that we'd be this stupid as to go for an absurdly idealistic solution. Not looking forward to seeing Frederica's outrage at us submitting to Hyzante but I'll see it through next time...

This game's got some really good writing and even the voice acting is pretty great in scenes like this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I agree about Serenoa but I really like Benedict. It was his performance in that scene that just prompted me to make that post!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One small detail I don't really understand about the story is why they don't just incorporate Milo betraying Hyzante into the main story. Like it still happens regardless, she stays in your encampment and her character story makes her reasons clear. But the story itself just drops her entirely and there was even a line just now that they're not sure how they'll detonate the Aelfric without her. Seems to me like there's no situation where she DOESN'T stay with you, so why not just continue to feature her?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Does she stay with you if you don't recruit her by going to the Wolffort demesne in that three-way choice? I haven't taken that path yet but I don't remember if she hangs out in the encampment past chapter 15 or not otherwise.

Part of it is sorta Final Fantasy Tactics syndrome, where characters can make main story appearances right up until they join your army and disappear from the plot entirely, though at least in FFT that was partially to account for the possibility of permadeath.

Ah I suppose that must be it. She still stays with you in future playthroughs but you only get her the first time if you go that route, which I did my first run. I should've worked that out considering I just got Trish added to my group for going with Frederica. I guess you get someone else with Roland's route too then, not sure who it would be.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

lmao that one of Lionel's level up voice clips is literally :sickos:

Yeah (no specific spoilers) each path through that chapter gives you a different recruit. Milo only joins if you go to the Wolffort demesne. If you go to the Rosellan village, you get either Trish or Travis depending on whether you defended or surrendered the Roselle earlier.

Aw so I guess unless the golden route involves surrendering the Roselle (I kinda doubt this but I haven't looked it up yet) I'm not gonna get to use Travis. Not a huge deal but would've been nice to use every character at some point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Prowler posted:

I love Decimal. Spoilers for a Chapter XI (?) battle and a recruitable character or two:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullGracefulGaurPJSugar-GwXFmgqOpJ1d1oBo

Edit: Ooops, I guess Twitch clips aren't hidden by spoilers.

lmfao

He's so good. I just used him to GREAT effect in the last map of the Morality route. Oh gonna attack me from the top of a cliff eh? How do you like METEORS

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I was seriously not expecting the character you recruit in Roland's chapter 15. It makes sense though, very cool.

The first half of the game wears a bit thin on the third playthrough, but I knew what I was signing up for when I decided I wanted to see all the major branches. At least you can skip scenes with impunity for half the story, and now I'm in the cool new stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Roland path confrontation is :eyepop:

Serenoa: There is nothing for which I would trade the time we've shared.

Frederica: Oh, but there is. I hope his friendship is worth it.

:vince: :iceburn:

E: I never took you for a liar, Serenoa

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 21, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Qua is just disgustingly broken. If Medina wasn't in the game he'd be the best character by a huge margin. Because of her he's only the best character by a small margin.

I've been using him to end literally any map where you only have to defeat the commander in ridiculously short times. Warp people around, warp the boss into the midst of my army, do huge damage with his time delayed spell on bosses, etc.

I haven't done as much crazy stuff as is probably possible with his time rewind skills though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m pretty sure if I had made Frederica say that I would have turned the game off out of disgust with myself

The desire to see Content drives men to do terrible things...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

True ending achieved, the four playthroughs were worth it to see all perspectives and then see it all come together for this ending. This was a really great game!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Barreft posted:

Frederica is like the most competent person in the whole game lol she rules

Spoilers for an ending route: Girl shaves her hair and leads an underground resistance if you side with Hyzante, gently caress yeah she rules

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I did the smuggling route first because I VERY much wanted to get in touch with Svarog and was extremely pleased when it became clear that that would be a key element in turning things to our advantage in the final route.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never failed a single vote in all my playthroughs. As long as you are careful with the choices you pick, you should be able to persuade enough people to your side.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The game also ultimately doesn't branch - or perhaps the better term is diverge - all that much. It always comes back together at certain key points up until the final decision. Fortunately it's well written enough that it doesn't bother me and the true ending satisfies that desire to have game long consequences to your choices.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I personally don't think it takes too long setting things up at all. It introduces the characters and setting and then things kick off chapter four. I'd say only chapter 3 is a little extraneous.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh, okay, perfect. I guess I will visit the Roselle both times having protected or evicted them for both of them and lwave visiting dad for the golden route attempt.

Yes this is the one thing you must do to get all the characters across four playthroughs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...okay, now I see why Roland is the worst?

Did he get possessed by a Law SMT hero offscreen!? Like JFC the whiplash of him suddenly going "oh yeah we should all submit to Hyzante and keep their slavery" even with all the bad choices he made was astonishing. Even if Frederica and Benedict also sound like the Heroine and Chaos Hero but at least they sound natural (well Benedict amped his evil schemer stat in the morning). And Roland is the liberty representative? Jeez.

Anyways, gonna try for Frederica's option, continuing the proud Wolfwort tradition of betraying everyone, gently caress this poo poo im out.

Roland's choice is the Utility option, Benedict is Liberty. They have kind of represented the other option for most of the game, but the idea is that Benedict was just biding his time until the perfect moment where as Roland has finally lost the will to fight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Who do you guys tend to swap out of the initial party? The starting 8 all seem to fill very specific roles, I think the only one I could get rid of easily would be the slow shieldbearer guy that never gets there in time.

Also, what does it mean when I get "Serenoa's Convictions Have Been Strengthened" after a combat? I thought that was just when I make some sort of decision.

I kept all of the original party for my first playthrough and ditched them all for my second until I'd used every character.

The conviction stats are hidden for the first playthrough so don't worry about it but basically there are various other actions that raise them. You'll see the stats after you beat the game once and can then focus on raising the ones you need to recruit the remaining characters.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's what multiple playthroughs are for!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I... think you've missed something very important with the salt.

The only source of salt in this world up until this point was the lake in the middle of Hyzante. The Roselle weren't mining it for them, they were removing it from the water. Since the lake is entirely within Hyzante's territory they had a complete and total monopoly on it.

The fact that salt also occurs in crystal form underneath the earth is something that literally no one knew until Dragan discovered it, aside from Roselle legends that were discounted. This completely shatter's Hyzante's monopoly and gives whoever holds the mine incredible power.

The other thing you've missed is that the salt crystal is evidence yes, but Aesfrost already knows about and controls the mine. Hyzante can't just make it disappear by destroying you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Technically Dragan's discovery in the mines is still a mystery at that point, but if you haven't put two and two together by then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

Oh you're right but yeah that's definitely where the player is supposed to figure it out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honestly it's not the worst thing to have them overrule you your first run since you can do different choices later and you'll have more conviction. But yeah if you're getting overruled it means you've not been thorough enough in the exploration sections.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No customization! More unique bespoke characters though.

Unless customization is a binary choice for an upgrade or whatever. That’s the most I’ll accept. The game is so finely tuned specifically because it’s designed to the units available. FFTA is fun but once you can do whatever you want the game just breaks.

Yes absolutely, each unit being completely unique is why this is one of my favorite entries in the genre.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

At this point in the game Gustav doesn't have much choice. He's no longer negotiating from a position of strength. You've routed his army, killed his siblings, and eliminated his greatest general. He can regroup his forces but any further military action would have him up against both your group and Hyzante. The terms Benedict can offer him are the best he could possibly hope for at this point and he's enough of a pragmatist to realize that. He needs that salt for his nation to survive so it's either fight a losing war against both the Wolforts and Hyzante or make an alliance.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Unless I'm forgetting someone there's only 7 characters that are recruited by route choice, all the others are either default or via conviction thresholds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You'll get a chance to use every unit in the game across the multiple playthroughs if you want. Just focus on a core team for each run and mix it up on the next one.