Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah I meant like, specifically if you wish to use them. With the cost of buying upgrade materials, the cost of using those materials to upgrade characters, etc. it feels like there's just not enough money to use those abilities. Grinding mock battles seems cheesy but I guess it's part of the game. I've just been doing them once to get the checkmark but I guess with how the exp curve works I shouldn't be too worried about mock battles making my characters overleveled?

Yeah, overleveling is really hard to do. The EXP curve is set up so it's really easy to catch up characters who are far behind, and really hard to overlevel.

Early on there's a mock battle that has a 2000 coin loot bag every time you do it that's pretty easy to grind if you want some extra money, though if you're not seriously leaning on Medina as a main healer (and you probably won't until she gets TP Physick at least) you shouldn't need to grind too much. I did a bit on my first playthrough just for weapon materials, though.

I'll echo the advice of some other people in this thread that it's best to pick one upgrade per tier on each character's weapon at first, since each upgrade in the same tier gets much more expensive as you continue to upgrade. It's better to spread the love at first and get everyone's weapons upgraded, then start filling in the earlier tiers once you can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I used Medina and Piccoletta this second playthrough and it's definitely not too hard to keep the healing items stocked, though this may be because I had a healthy stock built up from the first run. Piccoletta though I found her bonus to item damage wasn't enough to be worth the money. I just use Decoy and Copycat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly Medina only really gets expensive if you want to abuse TP Physick to its fullest because it has you spamming Ranged HP Pellets all day long. Worth it, though.

If you just want her as a good healer, she's really not that expensive at all. If you were going to have to use a healing item anyway, having Medina throw it instead of someone else (or having someone use it on themselves) gets you more value anyway.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone pointed this out before but the best way to grind coin is to do the lv 10 mock battle on the tiny tournament grounds using one character with the golden pinkie ring (I liked using Frederica) and Lionel with his ability to get coin every time he picks up loot. Have Frederica murder dudes and have Lionel pick up the loot bags for like 8-10k every 5 minutes.

Frederica is the best choice because of her ability that gives her TP when she kills an enemy, meaning she won’t run out of TP.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Someone pointed this out before but the best way to grind coin is to do the lv 10 mock battle on the tiny tournament grounds using one character with the golden pinkie ring (I liked using Frederica) and Lionel with his ability to get coin every time he picks up loot. Have Frederica murder dudes and have Lionel pick up the loot bags for like 8-10k every 5 minutes.

Frederica is the best choice because of her ability that gives her TP when she kills an enemy, meaning she won’t run out of TP.

Nah, the fastest method is going to the map with dudes on the raised arena.

Deploy Frederica/Anna/Lionel

Frederica Vanguard Scarf/Golden Pinkie ring.

Frederica turn 1 - +3 SP Quietus.
Cast Drop Sun.
Anna turn 1 - Frederica next turn Quietus.
Frederica drops sun.
Most enemies explode.
Lionel picks up bags.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man Decimal is my favorite character in the game. What a concept, FFXIV's mathbot as a cute lil barrel who blasts enemies from a million miles away.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Decimal rules, yeah

I was hesitant to use him at first until I realized how forgiving his attacks' conditions are. Multiples of 3, 4, and 5 are really common, and with his huge range, there's almost always at least two enemies he can hit. And on any map where you can place him at a low elevation he can do some nutty stuff, especially with someone feeding him TP.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Your Computer posted:

I've just recruited two characters whose abilities revolve around using items, but items are expensive and the game really isn't handing out a lot of money.

Is the idea that you'll grind mock battles for cash?

Essentially those characters are NG+ characters. Medina in particular is crazy strong at higher levels and NG+ hands out gold to you like candy. You shouldn't especially need to grind for money.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eh, I managed to make good use of Medina in NG without needing to really grind. I did each new mock battle as it opened up and that was about it. I couldn't spam ranged HP pellets with her every battle but I had plenty of pellets for her to be a reliable healer who could feed TP to people as a nice bonus. It's just that in NG+ with piles of coin I can now spam ranged HP pellets to feed four people (plus Medina) 2 TP each per turn and just utterly break the TP economy.

I didn't really use Piccoletta until NG+ but even now I mostly use her for Decoy and Copycat. Her item throwing is nice but it's not the main draw.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 20, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really love the huge conflict that happens in the aftermath of the last 3 way choice. So far I've seen Roland lose his poo poo at Seranoa trying to usurp him and Benedict have a loving stroke that we'd be this stupid as to go for an absurdly idealistic solution. Not looking forward to seeing Frederica's outrage at us submitting to Hyzante but I'll see it through next time...

This game's got some really good writing and even the voice acting is pretty great in scenes like this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly the only weak links in the English cast IMO are Serenoa and Benedict. They both still have their moments but for the most part I don't really like those performances. Maybe Geela, too, her deliveries can be a bit flat sometimes.

Frederica's performance is absolutely fantastic, she's my favorite by far. Roland's up there, too. I'm not sure I'm ever going to do the Utility route so I watched Frederica's duel/leaving scene on YouTube and the voice performance is absolutely heartbreaking.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I agree about Serenoa but I really like Benedict. It was his performance in that scene that just prompted me to make that post!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something about Benedict's performance just doesn't really connect for me most of the time but I do agree he's really good in that scene. I actually really liked his performance (and his character, actually) in that whole ending route. It was really interesting to see how he didn't just gently caress off but instead kept doing everything in his power to protect the people of the Wolffort demesne. True to his motivations the whole way through.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One small detail I don't really understand about the story is why they don't just incorporate Milo betraying Hyzante into the main story. Like it still happens regardless, she stays in your encampment and her character story makes her reasons clear. But the story itself just drops her entirely and there was even a line just now that they're not sure how they'll detonate the Aelfric without her. Seems to me like there's no situation where she DOESN'T stay with you, so why not just continue to feature her?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

One small detail I don't really understand about the story is why they don't just incorporate Milo betraying Hyzante into the main story. Like it still happens regardless, she stays in your encampment and her character story makes her reasons clear. But the story itself just drops her entirely and there was even a line just now that they're not sure how they'll detonate the Aelfric without her. Seems to me like there's no situation where she DOESN'T stay with you, so why not just continue to feature her?

Does she stay with you if you don't recruit her by going to the Wolffort demesne in that three-way choice? I haven't taken that path yet but I don't remember if she hangs out in the encampment past chapter 15 or not otherwise.

Part of it is sorta Final Fantasy Tactics syndrome, where characters can make main story appearances right up until they join your army and disappear from the plot entirely, though at least in FFT that was partially to account for the possibility of permadeath.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Does she stay with you if you don't recruit her by going to the Wolffort demesne in that three-way choice? I haven't taken that path yet but I don't remember if she hangs out in the encampment past chapter 15 or not otherwise.

Part of it is sorta Final Fantasy Tactics syndrome, where characters can make main story appearances right up until they join your army and disappear from the plot entirely, though at least in FFT that was partially to account for the possibility of permadeath.

Ah I suppose that must be it. She still stays with you in future playthroughs but you only get her the first time if you go that route, which I did my first run. I should've worked that out considering I just got Trish added to my group for going with Frederica. I guess you get someone else with Roland's route too then, not sure who it would be.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao that one of Lionel's level up voice clips is literally :sickos:

Regy Rusty posted:

Ah I suppose that must be it. She still stays with you in future playthroughs but you only get her the first time if you go that route, which I did my first run. I should've worked that out considering I just got Trish added to my group for going with Frederica. I guess you get someone else with Roland's route too then, not sure who it would be.

Yeah (no specific spoilers) each path through that chapter gives you a different recruit. Milo only joins if you go to the Wolffort demesne. If you go to the Rosellan village, you get either Trish or Travis depending on whether you defended or surrendered the Roselle earlier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

lmao that one of Lionel's level up voice clips is literally :sickos:

Yeah (no specific spoilers) each path through that chapter gives you a different recruit. Milo only joins if you go to the Wolffort demesne. If you go to the Rosellan village, you get either Trish or Travis depending on whether you defended or surrendered the Roselle earlier.

Aw so I guess unless the golden route involves surrendering the Roselle (I kinda doubt this but I haven't looked it up yet) I'm not gonna get to use Travis. Not a huge deal but would've been nice to use every character at some point.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Aw so I guess unless the golden route involves surrendering the Roselle (I kinda doubt this but I haven't looked it up yet) I'm not gonna get to use Travis. Not a huge deal but would've been nice to use every character at some point.

I beat the game on NG+, taking the unquestionably worst route and recruited him. Compared to another unit you can get, he was a giant "meh" for me. So I could see the other ending before doing the Golden Route, I reset my save file and opted for his counterpart for my NG++ run. It was worth it.

Harrow posted:

Decimal rules, yeah

I was hesitant to use him at first until I realized how forgiving his attacks' conditions are. Multiples of 3, 4, and 5 are really common, and with his huge range, there's almost always at least two enemies he can hit. And on any map where you can place him at a low elevation he can do some nutty stuff, especially with someone feeding him TP.

I love Decimal. Spoilers for a Chapter XI (?) battle and a recruitable character or two:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullGracefulGaurPJSugar-GwXFmgqOpJ1d1oBo

Edit: Ooops, I guess Twitch clips aren't hidden by spoilers.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 20, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Prowler posted:

I love Decimal. Spoilers for a Chapter XI (?) battle and a recruitable character or two:

https://clips.twitch.tv/DullGracefulGaurPJSugar-GwXFmgqOpJ1d1oBo

Edit: Ooops, I guess Twitch clips aren't hidden by spoilers.

lmfao

He's so good. I just used him to GREAT effect in the last map of the Morality route. Oh gonna attack me from the top of a cliff eh? How do you like METEORS

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 20, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It mildly annoys me that Twofold Turn doesn't let you instantly cast charged abilities like Sunfall even though Now! and In Tandem do. Now! and Twofold Turn even have the same TP cost. It's not like Benedict can't speed up a charged ability for 3 TP, his turn just has to come after whoever's charging instead of before.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I will have to give Decimal a try, I was put off by his moveset because I thought it might require thought lol.

I have not used the other two max conviction recruits yet either, can someone break down what they do well and when you like to use them? Especially the time boy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I will have to give Decimal a try, I was put off by his moveset because I thought it might require thought lol.

I have not used the other two max conviction recruits yet either, can someone break down what they do well and when you like to use them? Especially the time boy.

Decimal's easier to use than he looks. He's pretty much foolproof. His attacks only target enemies (unlike Calculators in FFT who you have to be careful to avoid friendly fire with) and you'll get to see exactly which enemies will be hit before you confirm the attack. Worst case scenario there's just nobody to target and you have him charge some TP that turn.

I haven't used Giovanna yet, but Quahaug is great and, like Decimal, not as complicated as he appears. Turn Back Time is cool because if you use it right it can be a heal, status cleanse, and teleport all in one. Warped Space just lets you teleport an ally to a square of your choice, like a Lightwave that only costs TP, which is very helpful. Distorted Space is a little trickier to use but it can be funny to make Quahaug swap places with an enemy healer to teleport that healer right in the middle of your melee units or something goofy like that--you just need to make sure Quahaug can get to safety after that. In Due Course is just an attack that deals damage after the enemy's next turn.

His other two abilities are extremely situational. Stop Time puts the Stop status effect on every single unit except Quahaug for two turns. The nice thing is that your units will still regain TP as they pass their turns waiting for Stop to wear off. But you also can't really do a whole lot. That said, if you have enough TP, Quahaug can use Turn Back Time immediately after Stop Time to release one of your units from Stop and then they can both act while everyone else is stopped, which is fun. Then Reverse Space-Time is just a rewind button that lets you undo a whole round of combat for 4 TP. Kinda hard to use effectively just because you need to be in a situation where a) things went badly enough over the course of one round that you want that big of a re-do, and b) Quahaug has 4 TP to burn.

While I haven't personally used Giovanna, I think one of the common strategies is to use her with Corentin. Corentin lays down freeze tiles, Giovanna uses them to do even more ice damage and spread frozen tiles even further, and Corentin uses the proliferation of freeze tiles to be able to regain TP in more spots or blow them up with Icy Tomb.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Epi Lepi posted:

Time boy is mostly a utility character with a teleport/swap positions ability and an ability that effectively extends the duration of buffs. He however also has a couple of Ridiculously Broken shenigans abilities that utterly break the game if you take full advantage of him.

EDIT:^^^ Reverse space-time, for example. The important thing is that unit TP is also restored, so using him with Julio means you can use it infinitely. Further, enemies that are killed stay dead. So you can loop RST over and over focus-killing one enemy at a time.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 20, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fangz posted:

EDIT:^^^ Reverse space-time, for example. The important thing is that unit TP is also restored, so using him with Julio means you can use it infinitely. Further, enemies that are killed stay dead. So you can loop RST over and over focus-killing one enemy at a time.

lmao I did not know the bolded part, holy poo poo, that's loving nuts

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Harrow covered Quahaug pretty well. Turn Back Time can be super powerful if used right--someone like Erador or other tanks who are slow benefit heavily. Stop time works out better for your team than the enemy team (with one very glaring exception--always check and see what your boss units can do!) since you have more abilities you can exploit after recovering TP.

I've used Giovanna a few times, but overall she's unfortunately a bit underwhelming. She has fairly well-rounded stats, but that winds up meaning her strength isn't quite high enough, her magic attack isn't quite high enough, etc. Her moves are great but require planning, and they can only hit a straight line, which hurts her versatility. Her high mov helps a lot, but he's honestly better on paper and is outshined by other mages who can more easily target enemy units.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Fangz posted:

Time boy is mostly a utility character with a teleport/swap positions ability and an ability that effectively extends the duration of buffs. He however also has a couple of Ridiculously Broken shenigans abilities that utterly break the game if you take full advantage of him.

That's nuts!

I'm halfway through my first NG+ is there a way to know if I've unlocked all of the character stories for each character? Or is there a record of them somewhere online yet? Do we even know the exact machinations to unlock them?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Giovanna's biggest issue imo is that her actually good abilities have almost no vertical tolerance, severely hamstringing her on any map that isn't mostly flat.

Also, extremely niche but also hilarious Stop Time interaction that I discovered: dying clears all status effects, including stop, so if you can set up a unit with auto-res to get killed by poison/fire/black anklet while time is stopped, they can start acting again without Quahaug having to spend a rewind on them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Epi Lepi posted:

That's nuts!

I'm halfway through my first NG+ is there a way to know if I've unlocked all of the character stories for each character? Or is there a record of them somewhere online yet? Do we even know the exact machinations to unlock them?

Pretty sure you just unlock them by completing a number battles, including training fights, while fielding that character. Haven't checked the actual numbers, but I think they vary by character. Some are also limited by plot progression; I had been using a bunch of lategame recruits on NG+ and all of them had side stories that fired at once, which I don't think was coincidence because both the side stories for one character triggered simultaneously.

Don't think there's any way to check which ones you've seen, but AFAICT, most characters have three events, while the chapter 15 recruits and the last two tiers of conviction recruits have two events each.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow I was seriously not expecting the character you recruit in Roland's chapter 15. It makes sense though, very cool.

The first half of the game wears a bit thin on the third playthrough, but I knew what I was signing up for when I decided I wanted to see all the major branches. At least you can skip scenes with impunity for half the story, and now I'm in the cool new stuff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Roland path confrontation is :eyepop:

Serenoa: There is nothing for which I would trade the time we've shared.

Frederica: Oh, but there is. I hope his friendship is worth it.

:vince: :iceburn:

E: I never took you for a liar, Serenoa

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 21, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Qua is just disgustingly broken. If Medina wasn't in the game he'd be the best character by a huge margin. Because of her he's only the best character by a small margin.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Qua is just disgustingly broken. If Medina wasn't in the game he'd be the best character by a huge margin. Because of her he's only the best character by a small margin.

I've been using him to end literally any map where you only have to defeat the commander in ridiculously short times. Warp people around, warp the boss into the midst of my army, do huge damage with his time delayed spell on bosses, etc.

I haven't done as much crazy stuff as is probably possible with his time rewind skills though.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Regy Rusty posted:

The Roland path confrontation is :eyepop:

Serenoa: There is nothing for which I would trade the time we've shared.

Frederica: Oh, but there is. I hope his friendship is worth it.

:vince: :iceburn:

E: I never took you for a liar, Serenoa

I’m pretty sure if I had made Frederica say that I would have turned the game off out of disgust with myself

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m pretty sure if I had made Frederica say that I would have turned the game off out of disgust with myself

The desire to see Content drives men to do terrible things...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

True ending achieved, the four playthroughs were worth it to see all perspectives and then see it all come together for this ending. This was a really great game!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I got curious and decided to see what would happen if I took the default option at every choice. If you're also curious, here are the decisions you get if you never even attempt to persuade anyone of anything for the whole game:

Chapter 3: Go to Hyzante (Liberty)
Chapter 7: Surrender Prince Roland (Utility)
Chapter 8: Tie, so you get to choose
Chapter 9: Expose the illegal salt trade (Liberty)
Chapter 11: Defend the Roselle (Morality)
Chapter 13: Flood the Capital (Utility)
Chapter 15: Return to Wolffort demesne (Morality)
Chapter 17: Benedict's plan (Liberty)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Finished up last night and loved this game a whoooole lot. I gave Frederica whatever accessory boosts her damage at the expense of natural TP regeneration and just had Julio act as her personal TP steward. Paired off Vanguard Scarf Benedict and Anna for some good twofold nonsense and let Narve clean up everybody else. Good poo poo.

Final chapter, Benedict route: I exploited the hell out of the initial orientation of the six automatons and the battle ended up being easy as pie. Benedict went first with Vanguard and I used NOW! on Narve. Before Narve acted, I used the In Tandem quietus on Frederica. I was able to hit all six automatons with Narve's extra-range Whirlwind (boosted by his weapon's Wind Magic+ skill) and then Frederica wiped three of them with scorch. Nothing came close to hurting me except for Erador getting nuked by the Hierophant as a one-off attack.

Seeing a lot of NG+ talk about the early-game difficulty - does it calm down after that? I'm really interested in an NG+ run but I'd rather it be easier than my first run than harder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Poque posted:

Seeing a lot of NG+ talk about the early-game difficulty - does it calm down after that? I'm really interested in an NG+ run but I'd rather it be easier than my first run than harder

The NG+ difficulty spike is pretty specifically the first battle, and even then mostly only applies on Hard. The problem is that you don't get to pick who you deploy, or how you arrange them (and Roland starts in an awful position), and you're facing two bosses who hit really hard on NG+. It's not too bad on Normal but pretty rough on Hard. You have to play ultra-defensively.

After that it feels mostly on par with a first playthrough, eventually getting easier as you get enough money that you can start maxing out weapons or throwing unlimited Ranged HP Pellets with Medina to feed a ton of TP to five characters at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That works for me. My first playthrough was Normal and I didn't intend on increasing it, so Normal should be good. Thanks!