Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's possible to recruit two per playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Um, actually, there's no class system or generic units, so it's actually the most accurate to compare it to Shining Force III :smuggo:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Scrap Dragon posted:

Julio just seems like a direct upgrade to Benedict, wow

Can he boost damage? I could barely dent most enemies on map 2 without Benedict's damage boost; but I never recruited Julio

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bongo Bill posted:

Not liking the voice acting but it looks great otherwise.

The British-accented characters sound fine, but every American-accented character sounds flat

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mezzanon posted:

Give me every ogre game on the switch pls

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Oddly enough singing the phrase "Triangle Strategy" in engrish doesn't make the name any better at all.

Still a banger though

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I, for one, enjoy having more units on the battlefield than the typical FFT/NI-faire. 5-6 just doesn't quite allow for more intricate and tactical battles.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It's been a while but I remember Octopath having pretty solid English VAs, weird to see the quality dip for a game like this

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah, permadeath can be extremely limiting and no-fun, especially in games where the damage/to-hit% is relatively opaque and the RNG is borrowed from X-Com.

I can understand the appeal, definitely, but it works better as an optional difficulty slider than a mandated way to play the game.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Junkie Disease posted:

Serenoa's Convictions are for lovers

Turns out the real triangle strategy were the convictions we strengthened along the way

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

SuperKlaus posted:

A possible weakness of SRPGs without job systems or randomized generic squadmates is that you spend big chunks of game time without a full squad load out or the ability to meaningfully tailor your squad. I'm thinking of good old Shining Force 2 - though I love it to death - and how a team comp dream of say "four centaur cavalry" or "two blaster mages" is only a dream for too many missions.

It's just a shame because Shining Force 2 improves over its prequel in just about every way except the part where you have to play like half of the game before you can actually build a team for yourself because so many recruits are backloaded.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Beat Avlora first try without burning down any buildings. Piccoletta was undeniably the MVP, Avlora wasn't fooled by the decoy but her entourage was, allowing me to isolate her and pelt her with attack items.

If you can keep a decoy alive you can do anything.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Hughette was the MVP of the following battle, the foiled red wedding-esque party in wine country. Took me two tries, ran away minutes into the first attempt after realizing that no individual group od 2-3 could handle their portion of enemies on their own, and I needed to consolidate as quickly as possible. Hughette blinded half the map while Corinton mopped up with his "delete a single unit with ice magic" spell, with Julio keeping him firing and everyone else walling up in a corner to keep Roland alive long enough for the cavalry to show up.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So far Hughette and Piccoletta have been my key players. Healing is pretty slow and so damage mitigation has been essential to getting through tougher battles, and in that regard Blind Arrow and Decoy put in the work.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Ambush! This looked bad for a minute, until I was able to get everyone up the cliff on the left. Ultimately this was one was more of a team effort, with Jens' ladder getting everyone to safety, and Eridor and Piccoletta covering the retreat. Hughette again put in work, while Frederica trapped a group of enemies in some burning grass.

Honestly my two biggest weak links are Roland and Serenoa. They do less damage than I was expecting and seem to be made out of papier-mache

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Next battle was short and punchy. Half my party ended up in the Mortal Kombat pit at one point of another but everyone was able to crawl out of it okay. Frederica destroyed most of the enemies, and following advice I picked up Serenoa's Hawk Dive bonus range and he was doing really great damage. Managed to keep everyone alive though, except for Roland, but what else is new?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Yinlock posted:

He's TP hungry so it's kinda rough to build up the TP for his ultimate though, and while powerful it's melee range leaves him super exposed. I think horse units would've really benefitted from FE's canto, where leftover movement points can be used after an action. Both he and Hossabara's kits make a lot more sense with that being the case so I wonder if it was in an early build but was too busted. Good point on Rush, I never thought to use it like that.

Darn; I was hoping one or both of them would pick up a Canto-like ability from their later progression. Of the two I'm definitely finding Hossabara the more useful.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Finding the Scale of Conviction mechanics weirdly inconsistent. My record so far:

1st Choice: Convince everyone, unanimous vote
2nd Choice: Convince only one person, I win 4-3
3rd Choice: Fail to convince anyone, I lose 3-4
4th Choice: Convince everyone, unanimous vote

Maybe I just screwed up on those middle two? Are there particular thresholds I need to hit to convince people or is it just a matter of picking the wrong arguments?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

I had exactly one vote that I just plain couldn't succeed at in my first playthrough. I even created a second save so I could save scum and see if it was possible (since I decided I'd play out whatever happened on my first playthrough). It was the vote to smuggle the salt.

No matter what choices I picked--even looking up the optimal ones--I couldn't convince a single person, not even the undecided one. Turns out I had really, really, really low Utility. So I can confirm that it's possible for a choice to just be completely impossible because of a low conviction score. Not sure how low a score has to be, but it's possible.

Yeah that's the vote I failed miserably. Had a feeling as I had been not really leaning Utility at all.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
What's the difficulty curve like in New Game+? How quickly or slowly does it take to get through additional runs through the game?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I was just curious if NG+ was something I could how through to get to the newer parts

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Been re-reading the thread now that I'm less worried about spoilers.

The English voice acting really does pick up towards the end of the game. The scene where Benedict and Serenoa get in a verbal fight and then an actual fight was awesome.

Chapter 18 on Frederica's route was intense as hell. Cornered and vastly outnumbered and outclassed by the enemy (even at the recommended level). Still not quite sure how I ended up surviving that one. Fred and the archers put in the bulk of the work. Ended up with only four characters left alive at the end.

Fred's weapon skill was incredibly helpful in the mock battle with all the chests on the cliff. Feels a bit bad having her light up all the Rosellan guards up there, but it made a nice path to all that money in the end.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
My process so far has been to get my entire army up to the recommended level before each story battle. It has definitely felt like a bit of drag at times but I genuinely enjoy using every character so far and they all have their use cases, even if I have do have favorites. But these have also fluctuated as time has gone on. Corentin went from being my favorite mage from moving to the middle of the pack. I was singing Hughette's praises upthread and now she's probably my least favorite of the archers I have (but I mean, compared to mini-Anna with a bow and actual damage and Old-Man-Delete-Anyone-Anywhere-From-The-Map it's stiff competition). I'm finally getting a handle on Medina's TP-raining abilities. Even the less strictly useful characters, like Jens and Decimal, are still fun as hell to use (I get Jens is god-mode with traps but I'm garbage at reading enemy AI I guess so I only succeed like half the time).

In any case, I think I prefer this method to having to play catch-up with a bunch of scrubs for the endgame. And I'm liking the story but I'm not so invested that I've got a driving need to skip grinding to see what happens next.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

In case you do decide to just leave some people behind, the EXP curve means that catching up underleveled units is really fast in this. Like if a unit is more than 3 or 4 levels below the battle's recommended level, they'll gain a full level for every action they take.

That's probably more efficient overall, but I think I'd only leave someone behind if I felt that I couldn't use them at all in any functional way, and I doubt that will happen seeing as how I'm over 2/3rds of my way through the roster.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah, I've got a pretty solid core team for the story battles:
Serenoa, Archibald, and Trish for ranged DPS (I gave Serenoa the thing that boosts his stats but causes him damage every turn, so I keep him behind Erador and snipe with Hawk Dive)
Geela for healing
Erador for tanking
Medina & Julio for TP generation
1 or 2 slots for whichever mages are most useful depending on the map and enemies
1-4 utility slots depending on map and enemies (Jens & Anna for height scaling, Decimal for small maps, etc.)

I keep everyone up to pace on levels because I never know who I'm going to need for those utility slots. Even Hoss & Roland have their uses.

Finished Chapter 19 on the Frederica route (I was actually expecting it to be the final battle!), and after how frantic and difficult the previous battle was, this one was definitely a breather. "We're gonna give you an elevated platform to defend while we slowly advance on you through massive fields of water tiles, I sure hope you don't lightning us all to death before we can even reach you!" Boss didn't even bother advancing themself until I had fully wiped out the rest of the enemies.

One last battle before I dive into NG+! It's nice to get to grind on a battle without a time limit again.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Harrow posted:

No Hughette??? :psyduck:

I kid, Hughette rules but there are also a lot of great characters in this. Archibald's amazing and I didn't really notice until NG+.

Hughette often fills a utility slot for me, especially in a map with a lot of elevation changes I can have her abuse. Her range and damage keep her from being a key part of my offense, but she's one of the best at crowd control. Between Fury and Blind you can pretty much lockdown any unit.

But yeah, I was singing Hughette's praises through the first half of my run upthread. She was the total MVP of some earlier maps.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
People give Giovanna a hard time but everyone has their niche, and I've learned that hers is "pair her with Corentin and freeze the world".

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Yinlock posted:

Giovanna is held back by like 95% of the game being pavement or stone(this also technically hurts Frederica but she hits so hard that it doesn't matter) Also her moves lack punch for how conditional they are and the straight-line range can be a nightmare with the limited positioning of terrain.

The only thing she has going for her is that the grass move is stupid-good which gives her a niche on a single map. She is admittedly extremely good on that single map. She can get use if promoted with Corentin because any battle Corentin takes part in is going to have ice fuckin everywhere by the end of it, but you could also take someone who can be useful outside of Corentin's attack range,

Also, on top of everything else, she's slow as hell.

To TS's credit, having only one stinker out of like 30 units is really good.

Yeah I'm not seeing it. Her damage is bonkers, enough to make the conditionals worth it (lining up enemies is one thing, but icing the floor is trivial). She hits hard with her basic attack, has ridiculous movement and a 1 TP ranged move she can use practically anywhere, generates TP twice as fast unless you have her standing still for some reason, and her weapon skill wrecks.

I'm not gonna argue she's like S or A tier but she's definitely not a stinker.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I keep a good stock of all magic stones on hand, but I keep extra icestones for Corentin and Giovanna.

What's great about the game is that every character in it (at least so far, I'm up 26 so far) is either generally very powerful or useful, or situationally extremely powerful or useful in right circumstances (Giovanna, Jens, Decimal, etc.) The only characters I've struggled to find a properly great use for are the spear boys (Roland & Maxwell); the former can't seem to hit the broadside of a barn and the latter is doing way less damage than it feels like he should (though he's not fully promoted yet so that may make a difference).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah, fully buffed and leveled up she's fantastic; her ultimate has infinite range and high power, it goes great with the ability that boosts her damage on TP, and the height tolerance isn't terrible (+/- 2) on most maps. Maps with a ton of height variation are for Decimal to utterly destroy.

I gotta say I use every character frequently (I've got everyone at this point except Cordelia, Travis, Milo, and Avlora) and every character so far has generally pulled their own weight and absolutely served as MVP for at least one battle or another. Maxwell is definitely my next promote (only a handful left of those as well)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Mustard Iceman posted:

Did a random character run and the party it gave me was Serenoa (obv), Julio, Narve, Corentin, Geela, Anna, Hughette, Groma, Trish and Frederica (was supposed to be Giovanna but i never got enough Liberty).

Really increased my appreciation of Corentin. He was always my least-used caster but he carried here. Not having a mid-game tank meant using a lot of Ice Wall, and once Julio unlocked Inheritor, Corentin was able to use Glacial Moon on his first two turns...

Even without the multiple endings and the new game plus, this game has so much replay value by mixing up the party like that.

I regularly rotated my party. Spent a lot of time between story missions keeping every character up to the appropriate level, which meant a lot of mixing things up which was so much fun. Every character I ended up unlocking was useful in at least some situations, with Giovanna and Jens being probably the most situational.

I threw the Obsidian Anklet on Decimal because why the heck not and he absolutely dominated all but the most spread out maps.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How did you choose randomly? Corentin is great though. Strong caster and once he can auto generate TP you don't need Julio or Medina on him.

I really really like Giovanna. I wish she were a touch physically stronger, but frankly paired with your calvary, they make a deadly as hell trio, since she can mop up whatever Roland or Hossabara fail to kill. Her movement is crazy and it isn't hard to make her terrain gimmick useful with ice stones, or Ezana's rain spell. Set the three them up and have them go on wild flanking strikes around bigger maps.

I'm a huge fan of Giovanna, but I'll admit there are times where she just doesn't provide the output that you need from her. Pair her with Corentin (or just throw ice crystals at her feet) on a small map or near a choke point? Hilarity ensues.

quote:

Jens is "map" dependent but there's a lot of maps where he's great. Ladders are always helpful, and the springs are great on any sort of choke point. Plus he hits well. You can probably use him decently on almost all maps, especially once you begin learning enemy AI and placing springs like a savant.

I think I would have appreciate Jens more as an all-rounder if I could've ever figured out proper spring trap placement.

quote:

I think Trish has really gone down in my opinion. Yes she has great mobility, but she's rather inefficient on turn economy, or rather she's not efficient as I would like. Best case scenario, you lose a full turn activating Act Twice, and you use it by leaping on one turn and then launching a rather weak attack, and doing that twice until act twice runs out. The thing is, leap only gets her as far as what Hughette is already moving pretty much, and Hughette can at least inflict Status Effects. Rudolph has bad accuracy but at least he has some nice status effects and can take a hit or two.

Trish saved my bacon way too many times for me to completely discount her, but I think on balance she's probably the least useful of the game's archers. When my options are "take a unit out of the fight for a few rounds", "do that and also stop enemy movement", and "every couple of turns just delete one unit that offends you from literally anywhere on the map", Trish's shtick just doesn't stand out quite as well.

quote:

My least two used characters are probably Benedict and Lionel. The former has some clear benefits, but I almost always want a different support character or some firepower. And Lionel... I get his niche but yeah, I think I roll with Flanagan and Erador enough that his Fury just isn't necessary.

Benedict eventually became a physical tank for me; I found his abilities to be fairly limited in value except for his most expensive moves. Lionel's job is to shut down enemy mages, which is actually tremendously helpful in keeping Flanagan and Erador alive.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
The ratio of story to gameplay evens out quite a bit after the initial couple hours of setup. Crucially, things also start actually happening

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
One of the cardinal rules about writing stories is "start your story as close as possible to the inciting incident" and Triangle Strategy is not interested in following that rule, for good or ill. The game as a whole would have been suited having all of that delicious world-building being spread out better through the course of the game, but it definitely is confident in its ability to suck you in early.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yep.

Decimal is great but does gently caress games up where you just need to hold a position. Abuse it. It doesn't quite feel as cheap as Quahog though. That fucker... I don't understand quite everything with him, but the few times I've taken him out it's just been ridiculous. People have already spelled out in what ways he's broken. He requires a bit of set-up to really get going, but even just using him as a regular character and avoiding some of his galaxy-brained combos still makes him ridiculous. He's an effective healer, has a very strong spell, and warping characters is incredibly useful.

As for Giovanna, I think I'm one of the few people who really likes her. I think she's tons of fun to use. On maps where she can work, flat maps with geography, she's rather ridiculous and you can get an easy spell pairing her with Corentin. But aside from that I just like making her run with horse characters, triggering rain, and making her a pseudo-healer who hits harder than you'd expect. Paired with the strength of Roland and Hossabara, they work as a very effective strike team. Still, I know she's not great, but I think she's cool.

I did a mock battle in that raised arena area and Corentin and Giovanna and they absolutely dominated together. They're a fun combo for sure, especially since it's usually worth having someone throw some ice at their feet to get them started.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Fred gets single as you want her to get kills and get TP. Corentin is less of a killer. He’s about affecting terrain so take multi. Besides his single target spell casts silence which neuters an enemy especially mages so it’s a bit of a waste to then off them.

Yeah this is how I do it. Fred I point at whoever I want to delete from existence; Corentin's more about crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Yeah she's incredibly good, especially in New Game Plus when money is less of an issue