Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Releasing March 4, 2022. PROLOGUE DEMO AVAILABLE NOW!

Triangle Strategy is the newest strategy RPG offering from Square-Enix. It premiered on February 17th, 2020, as part of Nintendo's first full Direct in 1.5 years. It's part Final Fantasy Tactics, part Game of Thrones, with a dash of Octopath's art style and a heaping of that moral choice thing that was all the rage in 2007. From Nintendo's page:

quote:

Three nations battle for control of the dwindling resources of salt and iron
Command a group of warriors as Serenoa, heir of House Wolffort, in a tangled plot where your decisions make all the difference. Key choices you make will bolster one of three convictions—Utility, Morality, Liberty—which together make up Serenoa’s world view and influence how the story will unfold. When faced with truly momentous decisions, multiple characters will weigh in by casting their votes on the Scales of Conviction. In these moments, the allies and decisions you make can determine the fate of whole nations and the continent of Norzelia itself.

Control multi-tiered battlefields to strategically secure victory

Finding the best location in turn-based battles can tip the tide of combat in your favor. Position units on higher ground to take control of the battlefield and gain the advantage with increased range. You can also flank enemies on both sides, then strike from behind for a powerful follow-up attack. Elemental chain reactions are also an important part of combat. For example, use fire to melt icy terrain, then use lightning to electrocute it. Push the enemy into the electrified water to see sparks fly!

Here's the final trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nhTJ-Evv_U

In addition to battles and cutscenes, there are exploration sections where you can walk around maps and talk to people, collect items, etc. The game consistently presents you with three options to answer questions, which represent Utility, Morality or Liberty, but don't tell you which is which. Depending on your choices, the story (supposedly) will unfold differently. There are also moments where you have to make big decisions that cause large divergences in the story, or so it seems. These require all characters to vote, and while you can only choose how Sernoa votes, you can have conversations with your allies to try and sway them one way or the other.

The original Debut Demo was available after the game was announced and showcased an early version of the game. You joined the story several hours in and fought a couple of battles in addition to exploring and making lots of choices. The demo was also pretty difficult, to encourage players to really utilize all of the tools they are given. There was one very large decision that had to be made during the demo. Just like with Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default II, Square released a survey so that people could give them feedback based on this demo. Here were the updates based on the feedback:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/triangle-strategy-debut-demo-survey-results-nintendo-switch/

UPDATE: There is now a prologue demo that consists of the first three chapters. Your progress carries over to the full game!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm reserving this post in case I need it and also wanted to separate my feedback from the OP.

The biggest issue I had with the demo was my completely inability to distinguish the purple spaces (where you can be targeted by enemies) from the blue ones due to my color blindness. I'm probably not the only one, too. They absolutely need to distinguish them better. The only way I could tell were by the lines that come out of the enemies when you highlight the panels. Another issue I had with the battles was, I didn't think they explained the battle system very well. You have to "stock" turns (was it called TP?) to use certain attacks. Did that require you to not take any actions that turn? Could I still use a regular attack? It needed a tutorial. If there was one, I missed it. The battles were difficult but I also felt like I made a bunch of mistakes and barely won both battles. I'm also curious if using the traps in the second battle (assuming it's the same depending on the big moral choice) have some kind of long term effect, depending on how many you trigger.

There also needs to be an option for the dialogue to automatically continue without hitting A every time someone finishes. I also think you should be able to scroll backwards through dialogue in case you missed anything... I believe both of these options were in Octopath Traveler and the Bravely games. I also felt like the menus were kind of annoying to navigate? The status screen had giant portraits of the characters but the actual information was small. Seemed weird to me.

I didn't look too hard, was there a place you could see the information you learned from allies & townspeople? Just curious. I definitely missed something because the third option(s) didn't unlock when I talked to Anna to try and sway her not to give the princey boy away to the bad guys. I ended up convincing (almost) everybody to fight instead anyway. Next time I do the demo I'll see what happens if you can't sway enough people.

EDIT: I forgot, the demo has a glitch that was present in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at launch, I recall. If you suspend the game and then put your Switch to sleep, it counts that time and adds it to the timer of how long you've played. A little detail, but definitely something they'll want to fix.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Endorph posted:

I think a speedup button would also help, or just a general pace improvement button. If I enjoy this game I'm definitely gonna want to replay to see the other options, but the pace is a little slow.

You can hold R to speed the game up, at least in battle.

There were some serious performance issues, mostly when the rain shaman character summoned the rain and when I activated the fire traps in the second battle. Magic effects in general cause performance issues, reminds me of the original FFT on PSX which is not a good thing.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Al-Saqr posted:

what if we took FFT and removed the interesting art style and appealing character and world design. and made it really straight faces and grimdark.

I don't know about grimdark. Heavily influenced by Game of Thrones? Yes. Grimdark? Ehhh, no.

I'm excited to try the demo again so I can find the characters I missed and try to get other paths.

Another gripe I have is the names of the items. Might be minor but "HP pellet" is the dumbest name for a potion, just loving call it a potion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Please mention the blue/purple squares so I’m not the only one!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rimusutera posted:

I actually really like that it seems a bunch of the cut scene stuff was optional, unless important to recruiting a character which it was marked as.

I don’t think anyone disagrees, the problem was the UI. Moving the cursor around the map was very slow, why not just have a list so you can scroll through it and have the cursor jump to that area? Also, sometimes you’d watch a main story cutscene and then it’d kick you back to the map and ask you to select the same place to watch another cutscene... it was incredibly cumbersome.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I get there are two separate battles depending on whether you give up the prince, somebody said there’s a third battle? What is it? Keep the prince but don’t learn about the secret weapon?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

I said there are three battles total. That is, including the first one before the branching point.

Booooooo

I feel like a butthead for giving up the prince but I wanna try both battles before I fill out the survey.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got around to filling out the survey, man it’s hard to fit all those criticisms into 250 characters, wtf. I guess they really wanted everyone to pick the most important ones.

Does anyone have a good strategy for the battle if you decide to give up Roland? It’s really difficult and I couldn’t figure out a good approach that didn’t get a bunch of my guys killed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t figure out how to fix the lift. I talked to everybody...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you talking about the one on the left or right? I fixed the one on the left but not the one on the right. For some reason I assumed you were referring to the one on the right :shrug:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The full game is called Triangle Strategy and is coming March 4th, 2022. There are more details of the changes they made based on the feedback from the survey on Nintendo’s website, or will be soon at least.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1486074183541010439?s=21

I love me some insane JRPG jargon, so I know I’m gonna love this game

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Is that a March or April release date? Doesn't matter I suppose, I'll still get it for my birthday in April, but still I always like when it's punctual.

It’s NOA so that would be March 4th.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There were definitely effects that made the framerate tank, like the house explosions/flames effect. It’s the Switch so I’m not too bothered by it, that’s just part of the deal. A fine trade-off for being able to play it in handheld.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ace Transmuter posted:

The British-accented characters sound fine, but every American-accented character sounds flat

Just like in real life

Seems like a Fire Emblem job progression (possibly branching job paths?) with skill trees, that sounds good to me.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The trailer says “kwai-ee-tuh-sess” which is such a weird word. Who comes up with this stuff? Anyway I need a new thread title so if you can come up with a pun using Quietuses, I will be impressed.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quietuses rhymes with fetuses, that’s a good way to remember how to pronounce it. Or a bad way, depending on how you feel about the word fetuses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I guess I should hurry up and finish Shining Force 2 before I start this demo, huh?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Shining Force let you have like 12 units out. But each unit could really only do a few things so it made sense.

I haven’t played any of the Disgaea games after the first one but I seem to remember having a lot of units and also extremely specific units like “blue mage who can only cast ice.” But I think Disgaea might be an outlier of the genre.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I've finally updated the OP, still working on a new thread title. Let me know what other stuff I should include, preview videos or tweets or whatever.

EDIT: New thread title is coming soon

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 25, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nah I came up with a good one that used Quietuses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I beat Shining Force 2 finally, so I feel like I can start this game now. I look forward to the insanely intricate flow charts people will make showing the different routes. For my first run I will just do whatever but eventually I’ll do some planned routes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gyoru posted:

the red/green they chose for choices can be a problem for my colorblind eyes so I've had to guess based on the text

I had problems with the blue/purple in the demo so I’m glad they added big X’s to the purple panels. I’ll probably have trouble with the red/green choices too, but I’m not there yet. I just beat the first battle lol

Edit: the atrocious voice acting feels more like a feature than a bug. I can enjoy it.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know I’m only on normal and it’s early in the game but I absolutely demolished chapter 2 but just moving my team into the corner in a defensive formation and forcing the enemies to come to me. Made me feel smart. I’m greatly enjoying the game so far.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pasting this into the corner of unrelated photos would be good meme material.

If only I could make that image the thread title

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

Not lying, I was tempted to change the thread title to that even before it was brought up.

I guess it’s better than my fetuses one.

But seriously, I wish I had played the demo before I can up with that thread title because I absolutely would have made it that. I had that pop up after Serenoa’s turn in an imaginary battle with one enemy left, maybe because I could have moved him over and killed the last guy but I didn’t? It legitimately doesn’t make sense.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Subject: I am the last disciple of Grandante and I need you

To: Serenoa Wolfort

Hello! I am the grandson of the great archmage Grandante! I am also his last disciple! He left me a priceless, magical treasure and I have decided that I want to give it to you! All I need is your full name, address, social security number, bank account number and routing number. Please send me 10,000 coins via bird mail and I will send you back 100,000 coins and the priceless treasure.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Is there a New Game + and if so do you start with your levels or gear or any carryover stuff?

Don't think I want to maintain branching saves if it's not strictly necessary but I also don't know how much I'd want to replay early battles.

It'd be nice if they did that visual novel thing where you could just warp to a decision point.

I don’t think you can warp to decision points, but according to the internet you keep all of your units, items, upgrades (not exp levels, I don’t think), information and notes. Also, battles become more difficult to match the fact that you already have upgrades. Apparently it also shows you which conviction each dialogue choice corresponds to and lets you track how many points you put into each conviction. There are also new, harder mock battles.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cephas posted:

I think permadeath made more sense when it was like, these units are unique people, but the roles they fill in combat are easily filled by someone else. In modern Fire Emblem games you spend 15 hours raising skill levels and getting unique promotion abilities to create the perfect soldier, and then there's the whole dating system which promotes game-long investment. As much as I love Fire Emblem games, there definitely got to be a point where the permadeath for realism was directly clashing with things like timewarp bubbles that let you eugenics a perfect child soldier.

Good news! You can turn off permadeath in the newer FE games. It makes the game significantly less stressful. I think they only keep it around because it’s a staple of the series.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Huxley posted:

Every fight is like a JRPG boss, in that I want to have a really tough time and feel like a genius when I figure it out and beat it, but also I never want to lose a boss fight under any circumstances.

Never has anyone so perfectly explained my thought pattern :laugh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1500924572132155399?s=21

drat that drawing is fuckin sick

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Even though I did chapter VI in the demo, it took me three tries to beat in the real game. I’ve learned a valuable lesson: always assume more reinforcements are coming. Also it isn’t worth sending a unit far away from the main group just to pick up loot. Thankfully Ser Maxwell unintentionally picked it up on my third run.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 8, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it actually possible to beat Chapter VII when you’re defending the town without using the traps? The boss lady has like 500 hp and I can barely dent her. I guess the only way is to torch her? I was doing ok until the third wave of reinforcements arrived and I got massively overwhelmed. All of my characters are lv10+ but I could only get one promotion item. I also only got one item to upgrade a weapon so I feel extremely underpowered for the fight. :sigh: I’m going to have to bite the bullet and torch the town, aren’t I?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

McTimmy posted:

I rushed the archers as fast as I could to take them out of the fight then did a fighting retreat. Archers > Mages > Blades > Healers > shieldbearers are too slow to do anything and are actually mildly helpful since they get in the way of faster units at times. Review your units and make sure you have a good grasp of how their abilities can interact and their stats. Understanding that Benedict is actually tanky during the earlier demo decieded my battle lines. It's probably too late but the merchant during the explore had oil pots that you can use with Frederica to create a murderous killzone and is one of the best options for harming Alvora. And don't be afraid to just sacrifice units to keep her away from you for a turn her two. I had Benedict lure her away for a few turns while I cleared the rest of the map. You will take loses.

I kept an earlier save, so I can go back and buy the oil thingies and try to light her on fire. Do you get anything for winning without using the traps? Probably conviction points?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cephas posted:

Lol I cheesed the village fight with the power of two ladders. Zero casualties, no fires required. Normally I wouldn't resort to something like that. But when the game presents that battle as a legitimate moral dilemma I feel like you have the right to say "what about the third option: a cheeky map-specific strategy with the character you just gave me."

What did you do?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay I protected Castle Wolfort without torching the town, the oil items worked really well. Idiot boss lady stood on a flaming panel so she could kill Serenoa and it cost her a ton of hp. Then it was a matter of picking off the remaining guys with Hughette. My biggest problem before was that I split my forces instead of keeping them all together. Keep them all in that corner and get the enemies to stand on the stairs, then torch them. Then they will go around the other way to reach you, so you can make a flame wall there, too. I got a shitload of spoils including a medal of bravery. And I feel like a genius lol game is good!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Anna isn’t great for every fight, but there are definitely fights that she is extremely useful for.

Edit: the slow trickle of promotion medals is making me angry. I’m in chapter 9 and I’ve only been able to promote like three of the original units.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reik posted:

I can't convince Anna to make the choice I want to make in chapter 9, I got the extra dialogue option so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Am I just boned?

I don’t think the unlockable dialogue option is always the best one. I think it’s a red herring sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Huxley posted:

This makes me happy to hear!

They are totally different scenarios on different maps. The story changes greatly depending on the choices on the scales. Look at the flow chart under War Chronicle -> Path Traveled. I’m on chapter 9 and it looks like depending on what you chose in chapter 7, chapter 8 is completely different and then itself has two possible battles. That’s one of the selling points of the game.