Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

This is always the most tedious response to this sort of thing, as if this wouldn't be incredibly lovely heel work if it was deliberate.

Like c'mon, we can distinguish between heel heat and "go away" heat, I think we can push the boat out and split out "just actually a piece of poo poo" heat too

I think this is getting it entirely backwards. It’s not a moral judgment. I’m saying that when faced with something as odd as a nascent Ugandan wrestling scene we might not know what’s going on. But that will not lead me to clicking the tweets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Who was "the pizza guy"? That sounds like too stupid a story to pass up.

A meme that is best forgotten.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Beeswax posted:

I think this is getting it entirely backwards. It’s not a moral judgment. I’m saying that when faced with something as odd as a nascent Ugandan wrestling scene we might not know what’s going on. But that will not lead me to clicking the tweets

It’s about 4 years worth of “TRUMP RULES” and outright racist, homophobic and transphobic bigoted bullshit tweets. Unless this guy was playing a really, really long game with his entry into the world of Ugandan pro wrestling it seems pretty open and shut.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a very long time, agreed

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This may not change anyone's mind but the account full of slurs/Stonetoss/based alt-right memes is not an account for the professional wrestling heel Lord White, it is the personal account of the person portraying Lord White, "Saint AlecZ" who has been posting this sort of thing for about a decade before Soft Ground Wrestling existed. I do not know what the statute of limitations for building up someone's wrestling debut is by being a bigot in real life is, but I feel like it should be less than ten years.

It is social media and may well have been performative but if WWE brought in Milo Yiannopoulos (someone the person playing Lord White seems to be a big fan of!) as part of the Bloodline angle, I don't think you can reasonably say that anything he said or did prior to his debut at Wrestlemania was just him pre-emptively working heel.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Giving the benefit of the doubt to them and others in the past doing similar "angles", cynically using racism or other hot button issues to get heel heat is probably going to be pretty tasteless. While it is possible for wrestling to address real topics, it needs some thought and care for it to have a chance to work. Going out there and doing Local Team Sucks! material but with a minority group as the target probably won't reveal nuances to the issue that you hadn't considered before.

It's kinda like "ironic racism" in comedy. If you are spending all your time perfectly crafting your set of the most racists jokes you can come up with, what is your actual goal? Is there a deeper point you are making that is achieved only by coming up with fresh well-honed racist jokes (that you crack up while delivering)? Sometimes people trick themselves into thinking they are making some deep point when they do this stuff, but I think in most cases it is just laziness and knowing that certain stuff will get some kind of reaction.

MJF's stuff is certainly done in earnest by him, but that is still pretty iffy because it is really hard to do well without someone looking really bad or it coming off as tasteless in some way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

beepo posted:

Giving the benefit of the doubt to them and others in the past doing similar "angles", cynically using racism or other hot button issues to get heel heat is probably going to be pretty tasteless. While it is possible for wrestling to address real topics, it needs some thought and care for it to have a chance to work. Going out there and doing Local Team Sucks! material but with a minority group as the target probably won't reveal nuances to the issue that you hadn't considered before.
I don't want to harp too much on this but the main topic here is not that people are using racism for 'angles' or 'heat'. People are pointing out that the performer has a years-long non-wrestling account doing all of this on Twitter.

It's less "Earthquake is pushing some uncomfortable buttons in his feud with Bobby Lashley" and more "ten seconds of research reveals that John Tenta, the person who portrays Earthquake also has an active online presence going back years before he got involved with wrestling. John Tenta, not Earthquake, professes to hate black and gays and pretty much any other marginalized group you can think of".

People on the whole seemed to be digging his heel work prior to the latter part coming up.

Edited hypothetical to be someone who passed long before Twitter existed and by all accounts was a very nice person because I did not want King Kong Bundy catching strays here.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 26, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/gangrel13/status/1772629502033617165?t=yzKrtihOYkXQ5o5-iSRu6Q&s=19

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Love that vampire

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't want to harp too much on this but the main topic here is not that people are using racism for 'angles' or 'heat'. People are pointing out that the performer has a years-long non-wrestling account doing all of this on Twitter.

Yup, that's why I put quotations around "angles," and said I'd was giving them the benefit of the doubt about the before making a different point. Agreed, this doesn't seem like simply involved character work or whatever lame excuse they give.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Reading through his Twitter feed, gotta say I did not have “Gangrel is a super positive guy on the internet” on my 2024 bingo card #fanginNbangin

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the fangin and bangin lifestyle is only good vibes

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
         MY
PHILOSOPHY
          IS
Fangin N' Bangin

https://twitter.com/gangrel13/status/1768736286796554373?t=1nLXmRAnETNbyNOBzbXsBQ&s=19

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

#SuckinNFuckin

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Begging for engagement from MoonPies is sad but not really that sad for the NWA's usual standards.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1772703965123113248

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know what moon pie or pizza guy is. This new world confuses me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Is Billy Pumpkins still using the NWA account to get in twitter fights with people?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Is Billy Pumpkins still using the NWA account to get in twitter fights with people?

Not sure who that is but the NWA account is mostly used to not be noticed by anyone while RTing NWA wrestlers plugging their other bookings because the NWA runs so infrequently.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

MassRafTer posted:

Not sure who that is but the NWA account is mostly used to not be noticed by anyone while RTing NWA wrestlers plugging their other bookings because the NWA runs so infrequently.

Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins guy who bought NWA after his attempts to buy TNA failed and like 6 months ago was using the NWA twitter account to poo poo on Dave Meltzer, etc

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I honestly thought moon pie was just a Simpsons joke.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Y'all don't know what Moon Pies are? I thought this was the 'rasslin forum, everybody on that working man's lunch everyday

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Drakkel posted:

Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins guy who bought NWA after his attempts to buy TNA failed and like 6 months ago was using the NWA twitter account to poo poo on Dave Meltzer, etc

Oh I know him. I think he was mostly using his own account for that, the NWA account is mostly just very boring attempts to replicate an epic brand twitter account.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh you mean WPC?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Y'all don't know what Moon Pies are? I thought this was the 'rasslin forum, everybody on that working man's lunch everyday

you gotta put them in the microwave for like 20 seconds first

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

boxcarhobo posted:

Moon Pie and an RC cola is another preferred variation.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

you know ive had plenty of moon pies but i have never had an rc cola in my life

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

boxcarhobo posted:

I have had a bunch thanks to the brief period RC Cola was the only thing served at Yankee Stadium.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

boxcarhobo posted:

I drank it on occasion in high school (sometimes w/ Moon Pie); probably a year ago when I was visiting family I spotted it in a grocery store for the first time in ages and bought a 12 pack. I still have like 8 left. It's basically Pepsi.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MassRafTer posted:

I have had a bunch thanks to the brief period RC Cola was the only thing served at Yankee Stadium.

:stella voice: some real brooklyn cola

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

RC was my favorite as a wee lad

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

boxcarhobo posted:

a ton of restaurants in Portland serve rc and always have. nobody knows why.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I was working at a government agency and we got Artemis branded Moon Pies, that is my Moon Pie story, thank you very much for reading.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Every time me and my wife go on a road trip and stop at Cracker Barrel I get one of those fancy glass bottles sodas and some snacks, usually including a moon pie. This is quickly followed up by being disappointed in said moon pie. I will never not buy the moon pie though, it part of the ritual.

The best candy at Cracker Barrel is the Smoothie-brand butterscotch peanut butter cup. Also a fan of the Hershey bar with the 1800s wrapper.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
RC Cola is good. Haters in the mud

Moon pies are also good but I haven't had one in probably 10 years

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Royal Crown Cola and Moon Pies, sounds like luxury.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

NienNunb posted:

Every time me and my wife go on a road trip and stop at Cracker Barrel I get one of those fancy glass bottles sodas and some snacks, usually including a moon pie. This is quickly followed up by being disappointed in said moon pie.

boxcarhobo posted:

The microwave gives the shelf-stable marshmallow and cookies some life, otherwise it's a very dry and crumbly "Treat".

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

You ever dip your moon pie in your rc cola? It’s pretty good

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Sandman from ECW posted:

You ever dip your moon pie in your rc cola?
/

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

The microwave gives the shelf-stable marshmallow and cookies some life, otherwise it's a very dry and crumbly "Treat".

Sandman from ECW posted:

You ever dip your moon pie in your rc cola? It’s pretty good

We’re breaking new grounds in the Wrestling Twitter thread today. Let’s keep this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Do some places only have RC Cola or is it usually available alongside standard Coke or Pepsi? I've been wracking my brain but I can't remember seeing it anywhere during my few trips to the US. This is critical wrestling Twitter thread content.