Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
SA should ban anyone who posts less than 600 times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Y'all need to learn not to get your political takes from people who collect CTE like Pokemon.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

This is purely from what I've read here and elsewhere so anyone is free to correct me: some lad on Myspace begged IWAMS for a match. They put him up against a woman because that's funny and he's a loser, but it turns out this guy doesn't actually know the basics of wrestling, so he ends up hurting her just before she's due to make a TV appearance for TNA. They then decide to punish the guy in some really gross ways that are clearly meant to legitimately hurt him while everyone cheers. The younger lad smacking him with the cane is, I believe, the promoter's son. The promoter (Ian Rotten?) is the man hitting him with the BARBED WIRE CRUTCH.

Like I said, I know this is sort of thing isn't representative of the likes of CZW and IWAMS, but it's always the first thing I think of.

From what I remember, and we're talking what, a decade and a half ago?

The dude getting destroyed is "White Lion" Mike Levy, a backyarder at best, who would beg to be put on shows doing deathmatches, and for the most part everyone ignored him. Until Ian Rotten, IWA-MS owner, decided he had enough and booked Levy for the Queen of the Deathmatches tournament, because mid-2000s indy wrestling wasn't the hotbed of social consciousness.

Levy faced Mickie Knuckles, a legitimately good wrestler that Ian had trained (for all his many, many flaws, Ian could actually work a straight match. Someone on the old DVDVR board once described IWA-MS as "Battlearts on crystal meth" and drat if that wasn't accurate) and who was getting a shot on TNA with the ever so charming name of Moose Knuckles. If you don't know what that means I'm not explaining it go look it up.

So now you have a backyard guy with little to no actual clue what he's doing in the ring against someone who has a clue but now has an axe to grind on behalf of the meathead owner, and poo poo quickly goes south. Levy gets concussed at some point, meaning he goes into negative awareness, and after what's barely a work Mickie wins, and then we get to what the linked video showed. Devon Moore and Tank commit what's at least aggravated assault and maybe attempted murder, Ian and his son John Calvin commit assault as well, Rollin' Hard and Mad Man Pondo kinda get in on the action but their hearts aren't really in it.

Mickie had a short run in TNA that came to an abrupt halt when she was facing Sara Del Ray in a match, tried a dive off a stage, and had a horrifc leg break. Ian tried to block the footage of the break from being officially released but it eventually made it's way to tape (probably because Ian knew it'd raise tape sales let's be honest). Mickie's career was never the same and I have no clue what she's doing these days; she's someone who probably doesn't get enough recognition in women's wrestling as Ian booked her very well and brought in talent for her to face, but she ended up wanting to do deathmatches and the TNA run would have been the high point of her career given the landscape of women's wrestling in that era.

As for Levy, police did investigate but Ian and Co. were able to convince the police it was part of the show and Levy was told he would be brought back if he didn't press charges. He didn't, and wouldn't you believe that Ian wasn't be a man of his word?

There was a lot of highs for IWA-MS and CZW in terms of actual wrestling talent, which puts them above XPW which is damning with faint praise, but the lows are pretty loving low.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The match should not be falls count anywhere. There should be one station where they can win and the rest of the time they have to follow all train rules.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I say I'm going to the elimination chamber.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Mike Mondo wasn't even the most over Mondo in the history of the wrestling business.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SG Bamboo posted:

No matter how many times I see him I still get that flash of surprise that Masato Tanaka is still an active wrestler

https://twitter.com/noah_ghc/status/1716426899613007990

Considering what him and Mike Awesome did in the 90's I'm amazed he still knows what his name is.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Oh, that's impressive.

Callis got got for being a sex pest towards Scarlet, which drove her and Kevin Kross out of the company.

The second time Callis got fired from TNA/Impact for being a sex pest, mind you.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
clint eastwood is a good song and i'll fight anyone who disagrees

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

loving lol

still slaps

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

He didn't even toast the bagel!

It's Bread Club not Toast Club.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

Add in a drink and it’s a snap crack and pop :cmon:

Imagine selling cereal as well.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

And now my brain has gone straight to Lee Harvey Oswald's return.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Who do you think explained to Eric how to do the clown emoji? Conrad?

He's got kids, I assume he asked them after they hit him with it for the ten millionth time.

Also, I said Tony was going to have a meltdown on social this year, I figured he'd at least last until the TV deals were signed. 9 days in isn't a good sign for long-term stability.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Very gracious of Tony to give Jinder a win ahead of his big title matchup.

Booker of the Year for '24 all but locked up now.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I thought his hashtag said sexworker at first and got confused

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

graph posted:

i clicked thru some toots and boy golly a bunch of people sure are mad

evergreen post

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lid posted:

AEW has two angles - father issues and self-doubt driven fears of betrayal/not deserving friends. It is perfection.

Tony working out his emotional issues through his booking.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

Throw in the Torneo Cibernetico also thank you please

tony book tournament of death you coward

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
With the roster size the time is ripe for Lord of Ten-Man Tag.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

Solution: AEW Torneo Cibernetico de la Muerte

Every time someone gets eliminated, a new gimmick enters the match.

I think we're onto something here, get Brett Lauderdale on the phone.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

stab posted:

No thanks im too old to drive SeXXXy Eddy to a hospital and wait 5 hours in a foreign country's hospital waiting room while he bleeds

if he had just bled some more he could have gotten a helicopter ride like gage did

see that was the big brained play gotta think bigger

fake edit what happened to excess69 he was someone i thought had potential out of the iws crowd but never broke out

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

stab posted:

Still wrestles in a tag team with his son!

He got too many concussions in a row and had to take time off, and by the time he was ready to go again America forgot about the canadians

Well that's good and bad to hear, I guess. I didn't see a ton of him but liked what I saw. Same with Jason Cross in the other geographical direction.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The hands isn't an Ai issue it's actually exposing that they're all members of the Yakuza

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Deejer

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It makes sense. Vince always has viewed being bound to biological needs as a terrible weakness, like sneezing.

gotta love taking the table bump in the middle of the main event and having to lay around in jr's piss puddle because he wasn't allowed to stand up for the past six hours

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

STING 64 posted:

he should be inducted by a process server

tommy dreamer finishes the story

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

Squared Circle of the Moon

Lament of Booking

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Open murder, as opposed to closed murder

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

vivazomo posted:

There's rumors Colby has a close family member working for a seedy organization currently being sued for sex trafficking.

ecw was shady but i didn't think they were that shady but oh well

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Been thinking about which presidents brought the most eyes to the product.

https://twitter.com/AaronFrobel86/status/1769252438387626234

All four are New Jack.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

Whatever happened with Jigsaw anyway? That guy should’ve done more

He finally realized he was Jigsaw and subsequently retired in shame.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Stealth Tiger posted:

Did Punk record a podcast when he left ROH? Or when he left the backyard companies he wrestled in as a highschooler? Or is this habit exclusive to the big companies?

ngl if punk recorded a podcast off of backyard wrestling drama before the year 2000 it would be quite forward thinking of him

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
listen if your name has six letters and starts with an r your credentials are impeccible

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

neoaxd posted:

Stephanie left HHH for reasons unrelated to Ryback's allegations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Counter-argument: AJ. Left TNA when they lowballed him and went to NJPW when they needed an opponent for Okada. Hooked up with the Bucks/Bullet Club and really became the ones who introduced them to an American audience, which restored him in the eyes of wrestling fans who already thought highly of him. Didn't outstay his welcome in NJPW and went to WWE when they were doing the brand split again so they were taking it seriously. Cena was starting to wrap up and put people over and AJ was the first one in line so he got the most rub, and they needed an opponent for Roman and AJ was able to main event against him, which put him in the upper card scene for essentially his whole WWE tenure.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
wait who the gently caress let rahm emmanuel be an ambassador to anywhere

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Easy to sell out when you only make four shirts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Whole lotta lightweights in here who need to eat more and lift more.

Eat 10,000 calories a day. Deadlift 1,000 pounds. Lose all your hair. Wear a CPAP when you sleep and sometimes when you're awake. Hear your heart cry out in pain.

You are doing none of these and it's shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Friendship ended with India, now Pakistan is WWE's best friend.