Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmao is this the dude who brought back WCW
Pretty sure it's a different person, who apparently made local headlines awhile back when he registered trademarks for the Continental Basketball Association and the CBA team the Albany Patroons shortly after the league/team folded and did nothing with them but is trying to get paid off to 'grant use' of the names.

Presumably he's doing the same pseudo-patent-troll thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Isn’t this only the second time they’ve even mentioned it by name after Drew caught it?
Technically this is the second Ad Council PSA the WWE has made about the Coronavirus, this is one from April 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PEiDK_MQ6o

I don't remember if this one actually aired during WWE programming, but the current one aired on Smackdown apparently.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I don't watch the shows, but I'm in all these threads and I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've heard anyone mention that they did one almost a year ago, did they try to bury it or something?
I only realized the April 2020 PSA existed because it came up in searches for the new one, which in turn I only found because I was trying to find the source of "So Brie and Brian go on a podcast and say they won’t take the vaccine and downplay masks." which as it turns out there is not a source for.

But yeah, I'm not sure if it's "tried to bury" as much as "WWE is not going to donate ad time to a stupid PSA, let other programs use our Superstars to promote handwashing on their own dime". Though it could always be both!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The thing about New Super Bloopers and the like is that in general they're treated as funny things you can laugh at, not "Ted Danson that loving hack, messed up his line on The Good Place five times, who told this doofus he can be on a sitcom??" or pulling out a string of 'botches' to 'prove' that Paul Pierce has no business being in the NBA, much less the Hall of Fame.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Brayrotsukidoji: The Lore of the Overfiend

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Decline and Fall of Tributes to the Troops:

2003: Filmed in Bagdhad, main event is John Cena beating Big Show, also features Stone Cold pretending to be Santa Claus in order to beat up Vince McMahon
2004: Filmed in Tikrit, Mick Foley is Santa Claus, main event is Rey/Eddie vs. Angle/Reigns [Luther], show-closing angle of JBL insulting the troops and Big Show beating him up
2005: Filmed in Bagram, main evented by Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels
2006: Filmed in Baghdad, main event is A TROOP beating the Masterlock challenge with the help of Santa (JBL in disguise)
2007: Filmed in Baghdad, main event is DX beating up Mr. Kennedy and Umaga
2008: Filmed in Baghdad, features a video message of George W Bush shouting out WWE, Cryme Tyme as Double Santas, and a main event of Cena/Batista/Mysterio beating Jericho/Big Show/Orton.
2009: Filmed in Balad, features video messages from Barack Obama and David Petraeus shouting out WWE, R-Truth as Santa, and a main event of Mysterio/Henry vs. Punk/Carlito

This may have been the peak of tributes, as after this they move stateside and experience a significant dip in appearances from Santa Claus or high ranking government officials.

2010: Filmed at Fort Hood, Sherri Shepherd (not a WWE Superstar) as Santa, Diddy and Cedric the Entertainer (have never been POTUS or even cabinet members) guest star, main event of Cena/Mysterio/Orton vs. Half of the League of Nations & Miz
2011: Not even filmed on a military base, (it's filmed near, not on, Fort Bragg) but they get Obama to cut another promo. Nickelback performs. Cena/Punk/Big Show beat ADR/Mark Henry/Miz. I can find no evidence of Santa appearing.
2012: Again filmed near but not on a military base stateside, Obama makes it a threepeat of videos. Main event is Cena vs. Cesaro, Damian Sandow interrupting the Miz officiating a wedding between Kermit and Miss Piggy, and performances from both Kid Rock and Flo Rida. They get the real Santa (or at least he's not a wrestler in disguise) but he's not over enough to make the telecast I don't think.
2013: Actually filmed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Jeff Dunham and Daughtry are the celebrities. Big Show beats Damien Sandow and Daniel Bryan leads everyone in a Yes chant to close the show. Santa is a no-show.
2014: Filmed near Fort Benning, where the troops are exposed to Florida Georgia Line and Hulk Hogan himself coming out to raise the hands of the iconic babyface combo of John Cena, The Vintner Erick Rowan, Dolph Ziggler, and Ryback.
2015: Filmed in Jacksonville, main event is a sixteen man clusterfuck where Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns and their six friends beat up the League of Nations and the Wyatt Family and don't even get Santa Claus or a racist old man to raise their hand at the end. Howie Mandel and Train guest star.
2016: Filmed in Washington DC and they're not even pretending to be on a military base anymore. Gabriel Iglesias seconds Apollo Crews as he beats up the Miz, and Big Cass main events, helping The Big Dog beat Rusev and Kevin Owens.
2017: Possibly filmed on an Air Force base in San Diego. Machine Gun Kelly, Sam Harris, and Bebe Rexha serenade the troops before a main event of Orton/Nakamura/Styles vs. Owens/Zayn/Jinder. Santa continues his boycott.
2018: Back to Fort Hood! Morgan Wallen (a Hulk Hogan level talent in terms of using the N-Word) sings, Jon Stewart jokes, and Santa Claus continues to avoid paying tribute to the troops before AJ Styles and Seth Rollins defeat Daniel Bryan and Dean Ambrose to send the crowd home happy(?).
2019: Filmed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. WWE Network Exclusive with no celebrity or Santa appearances. Seth Rollins beats Erick Rowan in the main event.
2020: Filmed at the Thunderdome. Aired midday on Fox, the main event (out of three matches) was Drew McIntyre squashing the Miz. Hardy (no, the other one,the one that looks like Vince Gilligan dressing up like Kid Rock) performs.

What does the future hold for Tribute to the Troops 2021? Well, WWE has thus far only held a TttT at four of the ten military bases named after Confederate Generals, so they'd better hurry up and do shows at Fort AP Hill, Camp Beauregard, Fort Gordon, Fort Lee, Fort Pickett, and Fort Rucker if they want to get the complete set!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

King Bahamut posted:

which Tribute featured a loosely controlled promo cycle that resulted in Ashley Massaro getting sexually assaulted and told to hush it up
None of the Tributes, looking it up it appears to be a summer 2006 USO tour.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

kinetic77 posted:

Does anyone recognize who this moron is?
Quoting myself from the last time he ran for office:

Edge & Christian posted:

Dan Rodimer's entire WWE main roster career:

October 2006: Trading wins with Val Venis on a house show loop as "The Big Deal"
December 2006-February 2007: Trading wins with Val Venis on a house show loop as "Daniel Rodimer"
January 29, 2007: Losing to Eugene on Heat
March 2007: A fifth house show loop against Eugene
April 2007: Tour of Europe where he beats Super Crazy, loses to Val Venis and Johnny Nitro, tags with Kenny Dykstra in losing efforts against various teams
May 2007: More house show matches against Eugene
June 2007: Even more house show/dark matches against Val Venis and Eugene (and one against Funaki)
June 16, 2007: Gets a world title match against John Cena

Then he gets sent back down to FCW and leaves the company in August 2007.

Out of 38 main roster matches, 23 were against Val Venis, nine were against Eugene. One of the remaining had him teaming up with Val against Haas and Benjamin. His entire contract (including developmental time) was just over a year, from July 2006-August 2007.

This may seem like a pretty thin track record to run as "former WWE superstar Dan Rodimer", but in that brief run he managed to rack up wins against the future Jesse (of & Festus fame), Fandango, Ricky Ortiz, Santino Marella, and several people who have even less impressive wrestling careers than former superstar Dan Rodimer!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know they stripped Starr, but what did OTT do with their title afterwards
It looks like they haven't had a show since February 2020 when Starr successfully defended the belt, so nothing?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

stab posted:

I loving love New Breed. The promos were ALWAYS this batshit insane.
Shame Chris Champion turned out to be such a scummy shithead
What did Chris Champion do, aside from wrestle as Yoshi Kwan?

Actually I tried looking for it myself and uh

quote:

Hear what really happened in 1990 in Evansville when Chris was accused of molesting a 12-year-old girl at a show and who got him out of it. Chris recalls his relationship with ”Kat” Stacy Carter and Jerry Lawler. Youll be shocked at the details. [...] This tape is a must see just for what he says about ring rats.
There's all of this obviously

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

stab posted:

Did it mention how he was in his Cowabunga the Ninja Turtle suit (of Jim Cornette infamy) when this happened?
I did not purchase the shoot video from Rob Feinstein to find out, but any additional information would be.. not welcome, but I suppose informative?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WCW's Robocop tie-in was 31 years ago, so they didn't go back quite far enough.

Though Chucky vs. Rick Steiner was only 23 years ago, and the Apes from the Planet of the Apes met Chris Jericho a mere twenty years ago, so who is to say when the golden age of Let's Pretend Movie Characters Are Real And Interacting With Our Wrestlers was.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

Batman was supposed to be on Dynamite once. I swear to God they announced this then next week just didn't mention it at all.
You didn't make it up, the original announcement was super vague and then I don't think anything at all happened, except *maybe* they ran this video during an ad break?

https://twitter.com/tntdrama/status/1199374819499724801

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s more likely that nobody gives a gently caress and he’s fallen into the JTG zone.
I know he's fallen into that for a lot of viewers, but don't undersell the JTG Zone.

JTG was released from WWE on June 12, 2014.
His last house show match before his release was September 16, 2013.
His last television appearance was August 19, 2013 (jobbing to Kofi Kingston on Superstars)
His last non-televised win before his release was April 7, 2013 (Michael McGillicutty at Fan Axxess)
His last Raw/Smackdown appearance was December 17, 2012 (squished by Brodus Clay on Raw)
His last PPV appearance was May 20, 2012 (IC #1 Contendership Battle Royal at Over the Limit 2012)
His last televised win was May 8, 2012 (beating Yoshi Tatsu on an episode of NXT season 5)
His last Raw/Smackdown win was June 22, 2010 (beating Caylent Croft on Smackdown)
His last PPV win was April 25, 2010 (beating Shad in a strap match at Extreme Rules in under five minutes)

In contrast, Dolph Ziggler wrestled last week on Smackdown, and was one half of the tag team champions up until a little under three weeks ago.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Meltzer and others reported that AEW was in talks with Aramis in late 2019 and he was set to debut in 2020 in AEW before the pandemic screwed up everything in the travel/visa/etc. department, so maybe you're thinking of those reports?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

AEW Roster Members Who Have Wrestled Minoru Suzuki Before Dustin Rhodes And Lived To Rub It In His Face

Kenny Omega
Jon Moxley
Lance Archer
Cody Rhodes
Chuck Taylor
Trent?
Gallows & Anderson
Riho
Emi Sakura
Colt Cabana
Michael Nakazawa

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I may be misremembering things but the vast majority of Playboy angles really boiled down to "other women are jealous because they're not in Playboy"

1999 - Sable appears in Playboy, turns heel by "going Hollywood" and bringing in Nicole Bass as her bodyguard.
2000 - Chyna appears in Playboy. There was some skits showing her kayfabe boyfriend Eddie Guerrero upset about it, but they revealed he was sleeping around and she dumped him before the issue actually came out. She mostly feuded with Right to Censor about the magazine.
2003 - Torrie Wilson appears in Playboy, which makes Nidia and Jamie Noble jealous because they think Nidia should have been in Playboy. A returning Sable is also jealous that Wilson appeared in Playboy, which leads to Torrie and Sable making out. Eventually Billy Gunn pairs up with Torrie for mixed tag matches with Nidia/Noble, which ends with them having a foursome in a motel room, turning Nidia/Noble babyface.
2004 - Sable & Torrie Wilson appear together in Playboy. This time they feud with Stacey Kiebler and Jackie Gayda, who are jealous that they didn't get to be in Playboy.
2005 - Christy Hemme appears in Playboy, and in a twist feuds with Trish Stratus because Stratus calls her a slut and a bad person for appearing in Playboy. Victoria later feuds with Christy because she is jealous she didn't get to be in Playboy.
2006 - Candice Michelle appears in Playboy, and fellow Playboy model Torrie Wilson is supportive of Candice's decision. However, Candice (and Victoria) turn heel on Torrie for trying to hog the spotlight and Candice wants to make sure Torrie can't be in Playboy again.
2007 - Ashley Massaro appears in Playboy, has a feud with Jillian Hall who is jealous because she wanted to be in Playboy.
2008 - Maria Kanelis is kayfabe dating Santino as a heel couple, when Ashley returns from injury. Maria wants to be the next Playboy model and Santino is not into that, though he helps her beat Beth Phoenix in a Winner Gets to Be in Playboy match. Eventually Maria turns face by dumping Santino and affirming that she will appear in Playboy, leading to the Santino/Beth Phoenix heel pairing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

"Izzy trained with Chasyn Rance" is unfortunately not a tasteless joke, it's a
a tasteless thing that actually happened

Any sort of double entendre completely blew right past me and I read that as "Izzy has already trained to be a wrestler, she's ready to get involved in an angle" not...

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 28, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I am so not metal that this is what I initially thought people were talking about re: Lulu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEMnbnAXuQ

Sandie Shaw was better but don't associate poor Lulu with Corey Graves (or modern Metallica, though if they did all Bacharach and David and/or Neil Diamond songs for a cover album I would probably listen to it once)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

Might as well face it, you're addicted to love.
Rhett Titus is (to the best of my knowledge) not an abuser, please leave him out of this.

That ICP photo tweet is funny too, with the "legends" they've paid to appear at their shows being Scott Steiner, Vader, Ricky Morton, and... the Headbangers?

Especially weird when you could have given that fourth slot to Abdullah the Butcher, Dusty Rhodes, Jerry Lawler, 2 Tuff Tony, 2 Cold Scorpio, Jeff Jarrett, Bobby Eaton, Homeless Jimmy, Scott Hall, Ken Shamrock, Bob Backlund, Colt Cabana, Big Chuck Wagon, X-Pac, Bob Orton, Mick Foley, Matt Hardy, Dick Hummer, Roddy Piper, Tracy Smothers, Tony Atlas, Kevin Nash, Sandman, Weedman, Nyla Rose, the Young Bucks, or Baby Bitch Boy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The best cheap beer for viewing wrestling is obviously Ballantine, because they invented the WCW World War 3 match back in the 1950s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8-uGu5CS9c

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I also seem to recall with some of the pandemic-era call-ups, there was chicanery with the NXT vs. WWE contracts, because the WWE contracts pay considerably more. It would be pretty fitting if cheaping out on the "main roster" pay bump results in "marginally less restrictive contracts that expire sooner and have a shorter non-compete clause" for folks.

That said, Black got called up over a year before the pandemic and they didn't properly fix his contract, so there's no consistency to expect/rely on for anything.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lid posted:

seeing Dalton Castle's name and thinking "god thats a name i havent heard in years" and a thought flashed in my mind that he'd retired and now was unretiring and maybe All Elite.

Google told me nope, he's just been in ROH which might as well be on the moon at this point.
Even as someone who was probably paying more attention than many pre-pandemic, Castle had a frustrating and frankly kind of confusing loop of "get injured, cancel/delay some matches, come back still clearly injured to have a very limited match, for whatever reason don't actually take enough time off to fully heal up, repeat" that I think maybe the enforced break for the pandemic has finally broken.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MotU posted:

they were selling beers at the show as "cardonas with lime", this was planned and intended

Gumball Gumption posted:

Anyways I wonder why the build up to the match focused on which lovely beer out of a can the wrestler drinks.
Cardona's podcast is sponsored by PBR and their social media interacts a lot with the podcast social media and then Nick Gage cut a promo on PBR.

I get where this is coming from but using this logic, we should have expected a ton of people pelting Jericho/OC with bottles of sparkling wine and Tropicana, or every Young Bucks match getting interrupted by a barrage of deadstock Jordans and bottles of cold spray thrown at them from the audience.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MotU posted:

should i pelt you with a giant man made of straw from ringside
Putting aside anything about how cool and good throwing poo poo at wrestlers is, having themed beverages sold at a venue is not an invitation to throw them at the wrestler. Also mentioning something in a promo is not an invitation to throw that thing at them.

And it wasn't that big a venue, you can definitely get an orange juice bottle into the ring. Someone DID get a juice bottle into the ring.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MotU posted:

i literally said the "cardona with lime" as a joke lmao come on kid get real a little
lol forgot u were shitpostin sorry

I think it was a cool moment and out of everything anyone's posted I agree with Massaro's take the most. I lived through WCW so I've had my fill of people just throwing poo poo into rings and generally think that the whole "how awesome was it that audiences tried to stab Nick Bockwinkel and threw batteries at Freddie Blassie's head, I miss that kind of heat" nostalgia is dumb when cornpilled folks do it too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MotU posted:

its a good think no one called for anyone getting stabbed or batteries thrown at them, then, nor did anyone attempt to do either
No who doesn't have an edge, afraid to throw a battery

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

People who Beat Kevin Nash in a Singles Match in TNA (none of these counting DQs)
Jeff Jarrett, Billy Gunn, Kurt Angle, Booker T, Samoa Joe, Scott Hall
People who Kevin Nash beat in a Single Match in TNA
Chris Sabin, AJ Styles, Consequences Creed, Samoa Joe, Abyss, Amazing Red, Mick Foley, Stevie Richards, Eric Young, Jeff Jarrett

Almost like a pattern

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Let's get back to talking about Wrestling and Social Media

https://twitter.com/Scroobiuspipyo/status/1067516411734630401

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I really don't hear the resemblance between Dr. Damian Chaupin and Limp Bizkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6ak6Vw2Dc

Kind of unfair to Fred Durst, at least he rhymes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

coconono posted:

funnily enough, that looks like Nashville.
If it's from the same photo shoot as the last one, it's the lower east side of Manhattan.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Not to overanalyze it but her ticket is from ORL to NYP.

NYP is as mentioned, New York Penn Station on the NJ Transit route, and she's coming in from North Jersey based on the Port Jervis train, which actually terminates at Hoboken, so she'd have to take the PATH train or a ferry into Manhattan proper.

Her ticket is from ORL to NYP, ORL is not anything for NJ Transit but is the airport code for Orlando International Airport, which is the nearest airport to the WWE Performance Center.

So it's a gimmicked ticket, and I guess the metaphor is that she was traveling from NXT to WWE proper and got 'left behind' on the main roster?

Also if we're really going to pick nits, the bar the previous photo shoot is from is actually a block above Houston Street and too far east to actually be in Soho.

Just shameful lore handwaving.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Couldn't it just be as simple as she's not gonna be at All Out and is debuting on the Brooklyn AEW show? IE She's going from Orlando (NXT) to NYC (AEW Grand Slam)?
All Out is in Chicago which doesn't appear to be in her gimmicked travel plans, and while she missed the train to New York, but she does also have over a month to get to Queens for the Arthur Ashe show.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MotU posted:

nyp is on a lot more train routes than new jersey transit, bud
She was running to catch a New Jersey Transit train though.

I do admit that upon re-watching she is holding a perfectly valid ORL -> NYP Amtrak eticket.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 18, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I don't follow football of any sort but is Enfield Town higher or lower ranked than Cardiff City FC, I need to know where Super Furry Animals rate in the sponsor power levels.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Super Furry Animals >>>> NXT UK, good to know!

After all they accurately predicted Vince McMahon's attitude towards NXT UK decades ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h6icgaSUCo

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 19, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The dude from Rancid literally told her he would make a phone call and sort the licensing agreements out for her, which is a bit more than just saying "yeah you can use it"
The dude from Rancid *made the suggestion* that she go by Ruby Soho and that he would work out all of the legal stuff for the name/song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZG-bUG8NU&t=3000s

Based on her saying the name Ruby Riott was inspired by "Ruby Soho" and her reaction to Lars's suggestion, I'm going to guess she wants the Rancid song and is not shopping around for better options.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Ganso Bomb posted:

You seem to be taking this very personally, are you the guy from Rancid?
Taking a cool calm rational approach, is your position that Ruby Riott secretly thinks the song she named herself after isn't a good entrance theme and faked excitement about being able to use it in order not to hurt Lars Frederickson/Alaois's feelings? Or is it more that she has bad taste in entrance music and someone needs to intervene and tell her she needs to keep looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hedgehog Pie posted:

People got all snarky the last time Kaiser Chiefs came up, but which song was a #1 hit: their song or this Rotten song or whatever?? Checkmate!!
In the United States of America (home of All Elite Wrestling) both "Ruby" and "Ruby Soho" topped out at #14 on the Alternative charts.

"Ruby (Don't Take Your Love to Town)" by Johnny Darrell got all the way up to #6 on the real Billboard chart in 1967, which means it's the obviously superior walk out music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcu6ZNAVDVc

Though if we are being objective and not taking Dori Prange's foolish sentiments into account, the truly smart thing to do is to tell her that Ruby Soho is a loser name and that her wrestling name should be White Christmas and then she'll have a TRULY recognizable banger to come out to. That or "Happy" Birthday.