Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Shneak posted:

Exact same sentiment. Didn't expect the Academy to give Sound of Metal the most love it's gotten all season.

I've still yet to see Judas, The Father, and Mank.

I thought it was a great movie but it feels like it'll be one those movies that crop up every other year or so that don't win anything besides best supporting as a signal boost to a lesser known talented performer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gladiator is kinda low tier Scott, but Joaquin does a good job and I had a blast seeing Oliver Reed before finally drank himself to death :smith:

And after! I remember how much of a deal the press made of them finishing Reed's final scene after he died and how seamless it was, and then you watch it and it's the most glaring poo poo. Like they didn't even correct the light source.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does he have his thank you speech on the floor?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The whole 'We take care of our own' rings kind of hollow when one of the success stories was about taking care of a life partner after the studio refused to pay out on a pension.

Doing Director so early? Are they wrapping this up by 930 or something?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 26, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

smug n stuff posted:

The father is a really really good movie, but it’s brutal

I couldn't bring myself to watch it, not after I couldn't even watch Frank with how close it hit to home.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll agree to some of those notes, Blade Runner is a feast for the eyes and a test of the patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chuka Umana posted:

Or the 80s and having Cats be the defining cultural moment

What was the theater hell in the 70s, Equus?

70s would be Grease probably, or maybe Chorus Line. For 80s I would think Phantom or Le Mis both bump Cats as being the cultural touchstone. Every honors kid in the tri-state area had the option to go see Phantom in the late 80s early 90s.