Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im just curious, I dont want to play any of them. But FF14 released over a decade ago and most well-known MMOs after that point are either from that era, or are even older like WoW or EVE.

So far I have:
- Black Desert Online
- Secret World
- ???????

And things like The Division or Destiny also probably count but those mutate the genre pretty heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
Depends on your definition of successful. Going by players definition vs the companies definition you'll get wildly varying results.

There's a lot of mmos that are successful from a purely business standpoint because they make/made a poo poo ton of money.

From a player perspective I think there's been some great ones that turned to poo poo very fast but created enjoyable memories along the way.

In terms of people still playing and having an active community there's a lot.

OSRS
Planetside 2
GW2
ESO
SWTOR
Albion online

if you include destiny GTA V can also be added

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im fine with GTA5 being considered an MMO but Im interested how it qualifies

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
30 player lobbies, has been extremely successful with its online component.

I don't think destiny, gta v, or the division should be considered mmos though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I included Destiny because you have players running around doing open world missions where you can freely join in, you can queue up with people for more focused instanced content, and theres weekly gated gear rewards and seasonal events. Ive never played The Division but I assumed it was close to the same. Id still classify them as looter shooters but Destiny at least has enough MMO DNA to warrant a mention

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TSW is "successful?" I swear that game's been on life support from the day it launched.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Rift was successful enough at launch and into the first expansion, but the game went downhill badly after that. They went free to play cash shop and sold to gaming who have one guy in a cubicle running it all.

I think ESO and ffxiv qualify.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Secret World was 0 for 2, I played a fair bit of it and it did some cool things but at no point was it a success, either time they tried. My best friend played a lot more of it than I did but she eventually had to give up because 5-man dungeon queues were measured in multiple hours, no matter what role you picked, because there were that few players.

Rift's initial f2p model gave the game a couple more entire years of "doing okay" than it deserved and absolutely changed the way developers in general approach the MMO genre so I'd call that a success, albeit a short one. I knew multiple dozens of players who had full black-tier loyalty rewards which took about 15-20 thousand dollars to obtain and I was persistently very disturbed by it.

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 28, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Control Volume posted:

Im fine with GTA5 being considered an MMO but Im interested how it qualifies

GTA5 roleplay servers were the most popular thing on twitch for a while last year

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
DC Universe Online is still going strong. I would still be subbing if they didn't do the whole "buy lootboxes" poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
def planetside 2

one of the best games (and worst games) ive ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Ad by Khad posted:

GTA5 roleplay servers were the most popular thing on twitch for a while last year

it's been the most popular thing for the past couple weeks, too, since the streamer server just got updated. it doesn't look like much fun on its own, though.