Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my favorite mcu is probably the ESP32

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

i think i need to watch wandavision asap though because it does sound cool but it seems like we're nearing the point where i will no longer be able to avoid being spoiled on whatever the big Thing is
sorry, sounds like you already found out about The Thing's cameo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

imaginary numbers would be better if you just changed, literally everything about them. their name, their representation, everything that was too important to be left to primitive european mathematicians that didn't even fully believe that negative numbers were a thing

it's the cobol, of math

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

complex numbers are just vectors but with translation and rotation/scaling defined to be addition and multiplication. The up vector, multiplied by itself, becomes the left vector.
in math 2.0 that's what they would be, but in caveman math they're saddled with a representation that insists that they work inside linear equations which hides what's actually happening because they were afraid of symbols that weren't the plus sign

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

on the one hand you need 8000 more twitter followers to qualify for the next big race in three turns, on the other hand theres a secret event waiting for you in the swimming pool right now

what do you do huh smart guy? your horse girls life is on the line

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

WHAT'S IN THE MYSTERY POOL
another horse girl that teaches you a cool trick to run slightly faster when it's wet

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

now, give the horse girls swords, THEN you've got a game
allow me to introduce you to rice shower, the horse girl with a sword

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I will allow you to introduce me to her
https://files.catbox.moe/m2mc71.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSdsq8uY1fM

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's a series of events where you can skip training your horse girl to go out on dates with the teacher at horse girl school (she's just a regular person though), and it feels vaguely like embezzlement. and also you have to go out on like 7 dates to finish the chain and skipping 7 turns to go gently caress around is incredibly irresponsible. of course I take that event whenever given the opportunity

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

*naomi watts voice* "....rusty gently caress-it bay"
wow didn't know I was posting with a celebrity. welcome mr angry video game nerd, sir

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

not even using her sword. yawn.
that would be dangerous...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah I'll buy some of that, sure

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hopefully they pay their dividends in robux

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

a lot of the puzzles usually have multiple solutions too, depending on what skills your character has to solve them

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

qfg3 is one of the most powerfully aesthetic adventure games of the era, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NktoZqMO4

right up there with rise of the dragon and under a killing moon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Walla posted:

It does need to be mentioned that there are some problematic elements, or at least stereotypes that could be seen as somewhat racist. Like the first game is in Not Bavaria and you know this by the lederhosen and suspenders, the second is Not Arabia complete with genies and flying carpets, and ect.
the african stuff in 3 always seemed the most respectful of all of them at least, they do a lot of work to make african fantasy extremely cool, even if sometimes that manifests as a white guy challenging tribesmen to games of mancala

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

help my stupid idiot brain only wants to play games that aren't out yet and any other game i try to play in the meantime it absolutely refuses to enjoy

i am so bored
i suggest a little game, about training and racing horse girls

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

bovis posted:

I've played an hour or so more of FF X and the dialogue almost feels really stilted and strange but I'm somehow into it. Definitely intrigued to see where this goes!
i just hope you end up having the correct opinion about the laughing scene *cracks knuckles*

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Lost Planet 1 was not a great game but what the hell Lost Planet 2???
lost planet 1 is the best successor to arcade shooters in the vein of bionic commando that we ever got, and lost planet 2, takes that and turns it into monster hunter

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not sure which part of it is supposed to be wrong. lp1 level design is aggressively linear, to the point that they're practically side scroller levels given a third dimension, and encounters often evoke shooting gallery style arcade games, the flyers sometimes appear in straight up galaga patterns. t-eng is a mechanic straight out of an arcade game also, a conflation of life, time limit, and score. theres also a decent amount of movement tech that elevates it beyond just being a third person shooter, and puts it more inline with an arcade action game

lp2 steps away from being just 3d contra, to recontextualize lp1's mechanics into a game that is richly and obscenely multiplayer, it luxuriates in how diverse the roles that players can fill in the same game can be. weapons and skills that drop totally randomly in lootboxes out of a gigantic pool and then immediately forcing you to piece them together into tight loadouts that distinguish players from each other right off the bat. entire levels designed around the concept of having 4 players that very few games even attempt to do, like the train level. the VS merge system that's all about forcing players to cooperate with each other. and yeah, huge complex boss fights against occasionally monster hunter-esque giant monsters

theyre, extremely good games. and then lp3 came out,

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the train level in capcom's lost planet 2, i should mention, is literally just a more complicated version of the jhen mohran fight from capcom's monster hunter 3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RcuM1Pa5xMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBA6p1zunw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

two capcom games in development at the same time, both have levels where you ride a vehicle while fighting a sandworm and bad underwater stuff, how deep does this conspiracy go

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

people get really hung up on the dungeon golf I guess, and always insisted that dark cloud 2 was the better game, and I like it a lot but am extremely skeptical that anything they add in 2 is actually an improvement over 1

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rarity posted:

Game safe everybody. Remember to take regular breaks
absolutely not

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

most graffiti looks like rear end, lets teach people how to tag before we enter the graffiti paradise

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

go start the darn nintendo game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

y'all talking about anything fun in here?
horse girls.

i took a horse girl on a date to the arcade and she asked me to win horse girl plushes for her from the claw game, which turns out is a fully interactive minigame that you can just not see if you don't wind up at the arcade when you click the free day button. what a world of possibilities

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats just what a lot of ps2 games look like when you increase their internal resolution

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lavatein posted:

Valve fixed a three year old bug in their community features, which has resulted in any games that were banned from Steam no longer having their achievements counted towards a user's total. In practice this means that people who spent all their time buying low effort asset flips to get 5,000 achievements in five minutes are sudden finding that they've lost hundreds of thousands of achievements and hundreds of perfect games overnight.

This is a great fix :) Those games were completely ruining leaderboard chasing in the achievement hunter scene. I'm hoping that once everything shakes out and gets updated I'm going to be in the top 50 ranks again, because like a True Gamer I never played them.
the what hunting scene?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a monster hunter demo, they're not good. for the same reason that arena mode in monhan is not all that fun, who wants to play monhan with someone else's gear and without the prep phase

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Convex posted:

Is Horizon better than Breath of the Wild? I have both in the backlog and not sure which to tackle first!
totally different classes of games imo, horizon is firmly rooted in the ubisoft formula and while its a lot better than any of those games its mired in all the same unappealing systems and rpg mechanics. people call botw a ubisoft game too but it at least has the good sense to avoid that junk and focus purely on carving a progression through the environment

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only checkpoint race i'm interested in, is the daily quest in genshin you get sometimes where you have 20 seconds to climb a mountain and get more time as you kill slimes along the way

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I am going through every Advance Wars game for some reason and gosh darnit I wish there were more of these- surely the revival of Fire Emblem post-Awakening signals that a new release would be successful?

Wargroove... was alright but not as good as the worst AW game
play daisenryaku

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Looks like the PS2/Xbox one is the best bet
the ps2 one, daisenryaku VII exceed, in particular is an expansion over the xbox one. thats probably the best entry point for english speakers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

They should remaster that Jeanne D'Arc PSP game, I seem to remember that being a good one of those games
I think sony owns that, and it was developed by level 5, and i doubt either of them would be interested in that. PSP emulators are good, though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think that really applies to genshin tbh, most of the progression is not particularly tied into standard mobage systems. there is a stamina system that gates some character upgrades, but a lot of the most impactful stuff comes from raids on weekly lockouts as if it were a mmo. much of the stuff you need is just stuff you accumulate by playing the game normally which is not at all how most gacha games work

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

That's good to know if I ever try to get back into it. I think I saw that weapons are part of the gacha and that just kind of shut me down right there.
there's a weapon banner but it's a whale trap and most of the time it's full of garbage. they also give you trash weapons as condolences on the character banners that are largely useless

the consistently useful weapons in the game are either crafted or from the battle pass which is a much better return on investment than actually paying for gacha

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh, it's good to know my initial impressions of how much one needs to rely on the gacha were off, then. I assumed all the good weapons came from gacha pulls.

How grindy is the crafting and the battle pass leveling? I'm willing to give the game another shot and I'm less annoyed by battle passes in free games (depending on how much grinding they take to level versus how long the battle pass lasts) than I am with gacha because at least the rewards are deterministic.
the battle pass is pretty easy to level if you're playing consistently, I generally just do the easiest daily/weekly quests and skip some of the more annoying ones and still cap the bp when I try, my tip is just look at the list and do the math and figure out what you the bare minimum you need to do each week. also, you don't level it any faster if you buy it, so you're better off waiting until the end of the season and seeing if you reached a high enough level to bother spending money

crafted weapons are gated by weapon prototypes, you can get at least one of each type from npcs to get started, and then they're a somewhat rare drop from the weekly bosses after that. it's tight but only really a difficult grind if you care about fully upgrading weapons, which isn't very necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

by far the best thing about genshin impact as a gacha game, is that it is an incredibly easy going and undemanding one. most gachas are constantly using new content and events to push you towards specific builds and pulling the new characters, even uma musume is running an event right now that incentivizes you using certain horse girls and cards to get event progress faster, but in genshin once you have a team you like built out there is very little reason to change things. the pressure does exist, they rework encounters in the endgame dungeon seasonally to favor certain elements and characters, but that dungeon kinda sucks and is largely whale bait, and also seasonal events do occasionally give you extremely marginal bonuses for running certain guys (but routinely it's not the featured 5*, the best guy during the dragonspine event was just Some Dude that had already been in the game for months)

I've used essentially the same crew since launch, and three of them were freebies, just because I like the way they play. I haven't even bothered to fully upgrade them even though I'm at max world tier because if you are good at the game you can punch way above your weight, which is not something that is generally true for gachas