Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think Guardians 1/2 are the only Marvel films I really like.

I will be watching Shang-Chi day one, I know its pandering directly to me shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im genuinely impressed that you made the game somehow look worse by showing more of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Roblox gonna be big fuckin money when it IPOs

Rinkles posted:

I hadn't heard of this before. Sega's cancelled, leaked own take on Street Fighter II, Burning Fists

:siren: flashing stuff in video, seizure warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2bvT2AWqM

Oh my god this is what they forced the cancelation of Eternal Champions 2 for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The individual zones are a lot more open than FFXIII, so it felt less like a hallway, even though it was just as linear

You also can go back to earlier places later and it has towns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Warface is a straight laced counterstrike knockoff that fell off the back of a truck andI can't believe they still make these

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its not particularly more linear than any other FF game. The overworlds of pretty much all of them are designed so the geographic features funnel you towards your next objective and reliably go town->dungeon->town. FFX just dropped the world map aspect but functionally its the same minus the old rpg mega dungeon that is the world map.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ymgve posted:

Maquette review: It's okay-ish. The story is really meh, it's just about this couple that falls in love then falls out of love, which changes from saccharine to grating. The puzzles aren't all that either, half of them are variations of "make things bigger or smaller so they fit", it's not until the very last level that the recursive nature of the level is actually used in clever ways. But the game is really pretty. Not sure it's worth the full price, but if you got a PS5 you can get it for free with PS+ so give it a spin. Or just wait for a discount.

This is bumming me out, I was super excite for this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lost Planet 1 was not a great game but what the hell Lost Planet 2???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wouldn't think you've actually played either of the games based on that description

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

I played Xenoblade 2 and I know what those characters look like :v:

I did too and still had to stare hard because they are such powerful nothings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where the gently caress is my Bloodstained 2* announcement

*The metroidvania, not the classicvania

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

No actually! I had no idea they ever did such a silly thing.

I think for further bafflement it was the only way to get the story of Xenosaga 1+2 in europe

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

Dodogama what happened to your FACE

Also goddamn are your AI partners braindead in this game

The best thing I can say about them, and I mean this sincerely, is they dont count as humans for the absolutely catastrophically terrible final boss fight

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would like an online CCG that can be played with more people than 1v1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Well Runeterra just introduced a 2vs2 pvp mode after testing out a 2vs1 AI one, that work for you? Unless CCG doesn't mean card game then ignore.

Thank you, slam installing this game now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, the issue kind of is Shin-chan is a childrens show with like 2,000 episodes while what americans are familiar with is like 50 episodes redubbed with crude humor added and a child who loves Ronald Reagan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I didn't realize that there's more to that show than that. What's it about when it isn't an awful show about crude humor?

Its honestly a pretty mundane kids show where the kid shows his butt sometimes and can be a little rude. Nobody outside of the US thinks of it as anything super special other than its been on air for freakin ever, its like what if Dennis the Menace had a 30 year weekly tv show.

Macaluso posted:

My friends for whatever reason are suddenly getting into League of Legends. I'm trying to play it with them since they're so into it but man after playing HOTS for so long it's just like playing HOTS but everything is more annoying. There's a bunch of stuff I don't like about how LoL handles things compared to HOTS that I could sit here and list out, but the biggest thing that I don't like is the last hitting mechanic (which is directly tied to the shop, another mechanic I don't like). HOTS streamlines all this and it's rough trying to play LoL with my friends. LoL fans I'm sure love the "complexity" or whatever but I am too old and tired for this. Bulldozing through a bunch of structures as a tiny fish boy is so much better

HOTS was made to remove that legacy cruft, sorry. Only thing I can tell you is a) League used to be so so much worse this is after a decade+ of cleaning things up b) Wild Rift is a console/mobile phone variant of LoL that further removes stuff and plays way faster maybe try to lure them into that whenever it comes out in your country?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright then. I was just kind of curious because that's pretty much also how it came across in my own country. I didn't watch it in the US, but I can't exclude the possibility that they presented it in a similar way here or even translated it from the US show, so I was just kind of wondering what it was supposed to be like.

The US show was a very limited run on a late night programming network ( a later season was made for Hulu but god only knows what happened to those rights) so I highly doubt anyone cribbed from that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Bloodborne came out before ds3

Yeah, Dark Souls 3 is really bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest 11s is on both Xbox and PC game pass so if budget is an issue for a dollar you could be playing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Whole game is playable in 2d. Its also like, 50% faster or more in 2d mode so if you want to savor the game don't use that first time through?

You can actually replay any chapter in the other graphic mode if you want to go back later and the huge side content area is in 2d mode.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I vaguely remember that if you let the AI control your party members in 2D mode it cheats in your favor while it input reads what the enemy will do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coco Ichibanya is the only curry you need in Japan. God bless Coco.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I used to delete saves as a kid as an acknowledgement I was done with a game. Having 15 years of cloud saves with xbox has messed me up when I boot up something like Feeding Frenzy and it knows where I left off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's 11 reviews for the game and zero of them are about the games themselves and are mostly just people getting into passive-aggressive arguments with each other about how the port is bad because you have to watch the first cutscene in the game to get to the options menu to exit fullscreen, or how controllers don't work, or how actually controllers do work or how the fullscreen thing isn't a big deal. I hate Steam reviews.

That being said 45$ is a lot to roll the dice on this. Might try out a """"demo"""" before you buy

Stranger of Sword city has some great art and a neat hook but it has a lot of rough edges almost all in tedium due to poor QoL. The updated version eases this some, for instance nerfing a dungeon so cruel I can't believe they shipped like that, but plenty of other stuff is still not actually fixed. You will still be making insanely long runs back through dungeons and grinding mindlessly while always facing a chance to just sort of have all your time wasted due to critical hits.

Rerelease is like a 7 out of ten to the base games 5 or 6.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Elaborate on your cruel dungeon thesis please, I’d love to hear about poorly designed dungeons that required a remake to fix. I gather that it’s more than enemies that can one hit your part? I’ve also been interested in the Sword City games but that interest has cooled based on your feedback here

The game introduces teleport stones and connected dungeons and then goes "oh yeah, uh all the stones are in the first ring so if you want to do any dungeon after the first few walk your self back". A late dungeon is multiple dungeons away from the teleport stone and the gimmick is all abilities including passives are disabled. For many character types this turns them into dead weight (literal guide recommendations are "give them a shield and select defend every turn). The dungeon then becomes a slog of just mashing auto and, again, losing any party member is basically a full reset walk all the way back and since none of your abilities like passive aggro don't work just gotta hope!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

yesss thank you. I love it

I should mention Stranger of Sword City also has a permadeath mechanic but its handled just stupidly. Characters can have 1 2 or 3 hearts, determined by their age. If you are downed in battle you lose a heart and are incapacitated and if you have no hearts left thats it, dead forever. By being younger you have more hearts but less stats and being older you have more stats but less hearts.

Problems:

1) The break points are messy. At age 19 and 20 you get 3 hearts and a small stat boost. Ages below 18 get 3 hearts and no stat boost. Why even have that be an option? Similar things are at each bracket, with no reason to be the younger side of a heart tier
2) It takes absolute ages to recover from being downed. If a character is downed and has a heart remaining you go back to the hospital. There they spend time recovering until they can adventure again, but that doesn't give the heart that was lost back. No, that requires a separate, longer stay that gets longer the higher level you are. Even by 1/3rd into the game it was an hour+ of game time to recover a heart during which you can't use that character and they get no XP, by end game no guide would ever tell you to waste time on this mechanic.
3) This is also a really brutal game, so powerleveling is both not as fast as you would hope and also ridiculously risky; a single errant blow to your new party member filling in the slot starts the hospital cycle over anew. Even if you don't it'll still take you significantly longer to level a replacement than just reseting your game and walking back to wherever you were.
4) The stat boost of going 1 heart is, frankly, pretty big. Like we're talking 5+ levels or more worth of bonus stats in game where you will be fighting tooth and nail for each xp level up and one or two level ups greatly impacts your odds of survival.
5) The main character can't perma-die, so giving them more than one heart is 100% pointless. The game does not tell you this until looooooooooong after the tutorial but yes, the optimal player character is 99 years old.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that after moving to Japan my exposure to anime has declined tremendously.

Except Love Live! which did a takeover at the mall I go to a lot. Thats how I learned some poor human woman has to pretend to be a foreigner whose name appears to be a parody of Anne of Green Gables.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Half of Something Awful lives in Portland, Oregon.

How's living in Japan?

Its great except for the racism. Below is a true story that happened literally yesterday.

"Do you rent to foreigners?"
"What country?"
"America"
"What color american?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gay bars are closing down rapidly in America and worldwide, please visit them if you have interest because you may never get another chance.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hey the new pikmin game I knew about almost two years ago finally got announced. Woo woo!

They did a survey of who knew what Pikmin was in my office and of 500 people in a digital field in an office in Japan like 10 people total knew what it was. 0 people working on the project knew it was an established series and thought I was bullshitting them when I talked about it and dragged me in as a subject matter expert. Iirc only 25% of Japanese gamers knew it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 23, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japanese curry is thin compared to indian and usually full of multiple ingredients and I would eat it every single day until I die no questions, Coco Ichibanya is tattooed on my soul.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

you raised my hopes and then i saw it was a mobile game :negative:

This is why I cautioned all of you when I mentioned it years ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I assume if you have equity or private stocks in Discord you really want them to sell, because I assume any attempt to go public would involve revealing their actual operating income which I can't fathom supports a 10 billion valuation unless theres a shitload of nitro subscribers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While we're ragging on Lunar Dragon Song lets mention other great things about it

1) The way you make money is accepting delivery quests, fighting monsters to get the items you need, going to the destination and turning them in. This is mind numbingly tedious but there is no fast travel between places on the world map, if a town is 3 dungeons apart you gotta go through those three dungeons again, buddy. Where it reaches the peak is that the quests it gives you are entirely randomized, so the optimal way to make money is just have the game reroll quests as frequently as possible hoping the delivery is in the same town you start in for items you already have so that you can avoid ever actually delivering packages which is literally the protagonists job.

2) The final boss is a palette swapped boss you already beat

3) Just before the final boss fight, a character in your party sacrifices themselves to slow down the boss. You then take their sword and throw it into the boss as a symbol of revenge and honoring the fallen. The boss, completely unfazed, tears the sword out of themselves and proceeds to use it for the remainder of the fight to deal massive AoE damage to your party.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's incredibly cool from an outside perspective, but it makes you feel like poo poo when you're playing. One of the reasons I think conventional writing skills apply badly to writing for video games.

Yeah it sounds kickin rad if you're reading it. In game it is the culmination of 20+ hours of your character being told they suck, having someone die, and the final boss just disrespecting you. You don't even kill the final boss so theres no catharsis and the ending of the game is "nothing you did mattered, go play a good Lunar game"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Are you playing the NES originals or the SNES remake of Ninja Gaiden?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, exactly. This really sums it up 100% - I do not play video games to feel like a sucker who got clowned on by everyone who actually mattered. That's what real life is for. A lovely game is a game that makes you resent it for fooling you into playing it. Lunar Dragon Song is exactly that game.

It is a game asking you to hold out your arm and when you do so it uses it to punch you in the face and says "stop hitting yourself!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rarity posted:

The XBox 360 one :)

Oh laffo, too many Ninja Gaidens. Its fun and I think better than its Sigma revision even if its massively unfairly harder in places

Ninja Gaiden 1 (xbox) has Ninja Gaiden 1-3 (SNES) as unlockables, while Ninja Gaiden: Black came with Ninja Gaiden (arcade). Ninja Gaiden: Sigma has nothing because its garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry, I only watched shows advertised on the Yamanote line so Im locked in to watch Upper 1%s Scream-Cry in Scenic Tokyo Locale.