Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was playing valheim and made a server and like 5 friends were logging on and it was super fun and then I completely lost interest because one friend was like "my boyfriend's got an endgame server and he said I could take everything from his base and I did and it's on your server now" and then the boyfriend came to my server with his level 100000 stuff and just wrecked everything and randomly threw gifts at people and I was like, "this is fun..." and never logged into my server again. And we'd just found the trader, too. (the boyfriend somehow saw it from like 5 minutes running distance away from it, even though he'd never been there, and marked it on his map for everyone?) so yeaaaahhhhh, yuck, don't let it happen to you. I think maybe my friend and I have different playstyles and what's fun for her isn't fun for me, but I'd never even encountered that 'problem' before. Even if I don't use any of that stuff, I also don't really care about the game any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's just not possible to do that in most games without modding or hacks or whatever, and we normally play Don't Starve Together and it's not even an issue that it can happen at all, but as soon as valheim comes around with 'you only have one character and can transfer as much as you can carry between servers, as many times as you want' you will start to see what your friends are REALLY like.

And some of them are bad. (Not really, honestly I think we just find different things fun! But it sucks to find out this way)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

I joined a random friend server on a whim and within seconds of wandering around I picked up some iron nails, which I didn't have the tech to make yet. I immediately alt+f4'd in a panic hoping it wouldn't save, but it did. I'm caught up now, but it was a little bit of a spoil. Made a second character for that sort of thing now but am holding off on any other servers till I've uncovered the game for myself.

I think it's a well established dick move to pop into someone's game and dump and the endgame poo poo on them, plenty of a games where ther work of getting to that end stuff is the joy itself. Wanna know what thickheaded thoughts were going on for the gf and bf in this story.

it does sound like this high level person was using something to spot stuff from afar, but marking it on everyone's map is just what happens whenever someone first uncovers him. My buddy got the icon even though I found trader while he was offline.

She's relatively new to gaming so I think she's got to take time to find out what is fun and what isn't. I remember using 'idkfa' in doom or whatever as a kid, and then realising 'it sucks the fun out of everything'. Her bloodborne playstyle is 'ok we all set a server password and you go into my world and we will do the entire level together and kill the boss, then I will go into your world and do the entire level from the start and kill the boss, and then we do it for the next level and the next level and' so she plays the entire game with friends. I think it's more about the social aspect of hanging out with people and less about the actual game. But maybe she just hasn't discovered yet that it's fun to not do that stuff. Or maybe it is fun for her. Her boyfriend is a well established gamer guy who plays tons of games, has for ages, is not young, and should know this. But it wasn't really him dumping the stuff from the server, it was her idea. IDK if he was cheating or not to find the trader, maybe someone who has got to the current end of valheim can tell me if there's a 'poi locator from afar' that you get later on. If not he was definitely cheating.

"the trader just popped up for me, I don't know man"

PantsBandit posted:

Valheim is cool. I like how it encourages cooperation while also letting each person sort of forge their own path. Like, you spend a few days bow-hunting food for the group and now you're better at archery for the next time you all go fight a boss.

It's cool.

OR the boyfriend arrives and throws sausages and potions at everyone, and then someone is like "I got all the stuff to make cauldrons from my boyfriends server" and I'm like "what is is a cauldron" etc etc.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

PantsBandit posted:

I guess the lesson to learn is don't play with people who you aren't comfortable with enough to smack-down when they're being dense.

Yeah I literally didn't know this was going to be an issue at all, and honestly I don't think I'll bring it up because she's VERY MUCH not doing well at all right now.

edit: VVV "Helping friends!" is my guess.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I think there's a difference between like, graffiti art and just tagging your name literally anywhere you can. I love graffiti art, it's awesome. Even if you want to do your name but make the letters really cool, like the trains in NYC. That's great. But gently caress those straight line no-art tags on every bridge and anywhere that the people can reach. It's more 'is it good'? but either way I don't care and it shouldn't be illegal. Just don't do bad graffiti. There's good and bad graffiti in San Jose.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Splish splash, splish splash
Have you heard how curiously the cum churns…? Like a storm but like the rain, only gentle, like dripping jizz… It bellows from deep inside of me… here it comes up through my insides, but gently, like little droplets…

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I did the bed of chaos second try after missing the jump first try. I never encountered any of the bullshit everyone else has, so I was wondering why people complained so much. On my second run through I realised.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RBA Starblade posted:

Nick Cave released a new album and no one told me

It's good btw

Thanks! He's one of my favourite live acts!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

okay we beat Valheim, whats another cool co-op game just like this but even better or more complete?

7 Days to Die.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

One of my coworkers is incredibly powerful and drinks black Keurig-cup coffee and then when it gets cold he just sticks it back in the microwave

I drink coffee black but I read recently that if you microwave it when it gets cold, it destroys the caffeine. I have no idea if that's true or not but I just make more coffee now. gently caress keurig though! Offices love it, but it's so bad for the environment.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

VideoGames posted:

I used to live in Bristol many, many years ago and there was an independent place about 30 minutes walk from me called Planet Pizza (I just checked and it is all modernised now).

I would always order the 'Plan-It Pizza' because a) you could pick your toppings and b) the wordplay.
(Haloumi, chorizo and garlic butter were what I usually went for).

I just looked it up and it looks more like a pizza express now. They also seemed to have moved to a fancier location.
Back then, though, it looked like the space jam website.

I am glad they have done well and are still operating. :)

I lived in Neasden at one point and there was a lovely greasy take out only pizza place. This was like 1998 and the pizza cost ten loving pounds. I thought it was expensive. Anyway so my dad visited and we went to a pizza restaurant, where you actually sit down and eat, somewhere in soho or somewhere like that in the west end. I remember being absolutely gobsmacked when it was less than 10 pounds per pizza. "why is the neasden shithole so expensive?" I thought. But I never found out why.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

wuggles posted:

MGS4 was the first one I played I think

Ah to be 18 again and not give a gently caress about what I play or in what order

It was 4 for me too. I don't think it messed up my appreciation for the series. And for people recently talking about playing MGS1, I played it for the first time about 7? years ago and have played it recently and it it totally holds up and is fun, a little hard in some parts (some bosses, especially the final one) but it's totally doable.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still extremely mad about a collectable figurine game called 'mage knight' or something where as your creatures took damage, you rotated a thing in the base and their stats went up and down. I was playing in a tournament and I was 100% going to win the first match I played, but only if the match finished or got near the end. I honestly can't remember the details but it was probably due to my stuff being better than his stuff. But the time limit for the match was extremely short, and my opponent could probably tell what was up, so he made every turn take about 5 minutes. My turns would be done in about 3 seconds and his turns would be him going 'hmmmmmmm' and not doing anything while I loudly told him to 'just play', lol. In the end he won.

edit: reminds me of (also more or less the only time I played) necromunda, a friend said he had to get to the class starting in 10 minutes. So I did my turns nice and fast so he could get to class. All of his turns were careful measurements (or however you play, IDC), lots of thinking, and he was better than me and destroyed me about 30-40 minutes later, because he was never intending on going to class and was never going to just attack/play quickly. In that case I admit I was wrong and bad.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
If I were to get into Enter the Gungeon or BoI, which one is better? I started EtG this weekend and it is reminding me a LOT of BoI, which I played during a work trip on the plane and started getting into, then just didn't pick it up after that. What other games are similar to those? I enjoyed Helldivers and Cryptark a lot, but was never able to defeat the cryptark.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Wow. Honestly expected everyone to say BoI is a way better game. I do find the art a bit too much. Like, I'm not grossed out but I'd rather look at nicer - looking things. I also looked at the wiki for BoI and thought 'holy poo poo? really?'. I'm glad to hear the EtG is so well-regarded. I like the intro screen and song too :) I've played about 3 runs with the first 3 characters, starting on the left, and don't have a favourite yet.

Is there metagame progress, or is it all within the run? With BoI I think you unlocked items that could appear in chests or something? I'm not sure if there's anything in EtG.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
It was crazy getting a vita when my previous handheld had been a ds lite. It was about 10000x better, and looked amazing with that oled screen. It was also clearly more powerful than the 2ds (or 3ds) and was just such a good handheld. It also had two sticks! no other handheld (that I knew of) did.

And then it just, loving, failed. And the 3ds became immensely popular. I ended up getting a 2ds in the end because my ds lite had been stolen and I just didn't like it much at all. I cannot to this day understand why the vita wasn't more popular (probably price) but it was about 5x better than the 3ds. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

frankly i would rather read 100 more rarity posts about mgs4 than another post complaining about too many posts in the chat thread while also misgendering her. just one goon's opinion tho