Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
of course ff10 is linear, they're on a literal pilgrimage. its linearity, and the specific point at which it stops being linear, are strong thematic elements of the narrative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think this is really a good argument here. You can have an open world even with a linear narrative and it's not like the game really stops you from pretty much going wherever and whenever you want. You want to go right back to Besaid shortly before walking into the final area of the game? Go right ahead.

It works for the game particularly because the plot is very clear about being all "okay, you did this, next stations is..." with the implication that your itinerary has been out long in advance. That doesn't mean the game world had to be designed to fit it.

of course you can go back to besaid before the final area, you have the airship by then :v: but I'm not saying you can't have a world map and a linear narrative or that the designers had to do anything lol, just that the designers did make those decisions with ff10 and it's a stronger game for it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

Back to the new Mistwalker game real quick: I didn't catch that the environments are actually hand-crafted dioramas, as in they were physically built in real life

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366805251827900418?s=20

this is the kind of photorealism i can get behind

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rinkles posted:

How many good games has Mistwalker made? I haven't actually played any (Mistwalker games, good or bad)?

Yesterday I was randomly reminded of ASH when I was reading an old games blog. I remember hoping it would get a localization. Looking at it today, it has pretty art, but in game looks really cruddy.

the last story is very cool, the controls and battle system are kinda weird but mesh together to create a pretty dynamic feel, your party members are all a lot of fun (even if the hero is as bland as unbuttered toast), and it's one of those rpgs that takes place around one city so the setting gets nice and fleshed out by the end of the game. also the soundtrack slaps

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm playing the calamity mod of terraria and it's pretty cool, adds some new biomes and bosses and a ton of new items

in between bits of command mission and pokemon at least

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Magical Melody update: I met a girl called Gwen who said she was a good cook so I decided to woo her so I gave her a mushroom and then I found a flower so I went back to give her that too but she said she only needed one gift a day and now the girl I like thinks I'm a creeper :negative:

you fool. you clown. you absolute buffoon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Me, logging into the Dota client:

some people touch the stove and learn

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

no!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Magical Melody update: I cut my losses with Gwen and decided to start fresh with Nina from the seed shop who seems like a lovely girl. I gave her some gifts and then today I spent all afternoon hunting for a flower to give her but on her way to my house I met this new girl who just arrived in town and she's a total hottie so I completely forgot about Nina and now I'm all in on Eve hubba hubba

eve is cool! so are gwen and nina, no real way to go wrong here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Extreme Hard Mode: Identifying 2000s-2010s Shooter Protagonists, portraits only

Edit:

you'd think being extremely online would help me recognize at least one of these dudes but nope! no idea!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

axelblaze posted:

Hey games chat. Because I think there are some people in here that care about me I thought I'd share this Twitter thread I made
https://twitter.com/axleblazeSA/status/1367993839949144064?s=20

:unsmith: glad you're doing okay!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Why is there not a WarioWare for Switch

Why

WHY NINTENDO

wario ware gold is less than three years old and intelligent systems has too many series on its plate

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

the wario to peach's mario already exists

it's pauline

it's captain syrup, please respect the lore

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

no pauline is peach's wario, captain syrup is wario's peach, please understand

this actually makes a lot of sense to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the only number i want to see go up is my max minions count in terraria

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just finished up mega man x command mission. there's definitely a lot of cool ideas at play but they're brought down by the overbearing encounter rate and how doing anything interesting with the crafting system means grinding for rare drops to use as ingredients, for the special crafting currency, and for levels. for example, there is actually an accessory that lowers the encounter rate but crafting it requres a specific character be at level 30, and she finished the game at level 31 for me lol. fortunately there's another much easier to obtain accessory that guarantees running away

while many of the enemies are fairly lame, some do have interesting set-ups. there's a gigantic mettaur who hides in its helmet and runs away quickly, unless you steal its (relatively worthless) item which causes it to go berserk. some enemies made of silver and gold carry quite a lot of money but lose some of their luster each time you hit them. many classic mega man x enemies get a good translation to rpg mechanics, like the bee bomber you fight in x1's intro stage. and like every boss past the first few does something neat, especially the optional ones, though unfortunately it is the kind of rpg that requires a lot of foresight to be able to properly respond to those neat things. and then if you do battle the optional bosses you unlock super forms for x and zero, which are completely busted in a refreshing knights of the round kind of way

really the biggest bummer is that the OCs who join your party are all pretty cool, but they lose all relevance after zero and axl join back up with you to the point where they don't even show up in the ending cutscenes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
for the uninitiated, capra demon and bed of chaos are tricky. in the base game i'd say ornstein + smough without question, and with the dlc, yeah either manus or kalameet. though personally the boss that took me the longest to defeat was sif because i kept putting the fight off until i had no choice

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if nothing else I'm glad you post here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

Beat em ups ride or die based on presentation, the gameplay is rarely the draw

ah the yakuza dilemma

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
some observations about sonic chronicles: the dark brotherhood, in no particular order:

-there are about 15-20 seconds of silence between loops in the background music. i knew going in that there'd been issues with the music but not to that extent
-lots of stock sound effects evocative of humongous entertainment pc games
-this is the second sonic game on the ds to crib gameplay from elite beat agents/ouendan
-your healing moves can miss if you flub the qte
-the game tells you turn order for your party but not for the enemies
-the stats named Attack and Defense are actually for accuracy and evasion. relatedly, attacks miss frequently
-enemies will sometimes try to run away and you then play an auto-runner minigame. if they do escape then you don't get anything, even from enemies you defeated
-enemies scale with your level but their rewards do not appear to
-dialogue options let you decide whether to be polite goodboy sonic or snarky rudeboy sonic
-
-Visit our community website at https://sonic.bioware.com!

my only goal is to be as nice to amy rose as possible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've never played any bioware games before and am assuming this is exactly what they're all like, just with generic scifi and generic fantasy trappings instead

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

Fun fact: the chao you can hatch and equip are entirely random, and one allows you to ignore the rhythm game sections entirely for one character. Chao eggs are also limited per playthrough so it's entirely possible to "miss" some through no fault of your own.

i did happen to get that one! and now am currently trying to see whether "unique" rarity means unique or just super rare

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
record of lodoss war is pretty dry but if no frills fantasy is what you're looking for, it will deliver

FirstAidKite posted:

Case in point

i actually like most of those! the patrick one is a victim of color choices and the tommy poop truck is of course a league of its own but otherwise they're pretty fun, esp the reptar

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

I got hitched in Magical Melody :toot:

Now all we need to do is consumate the marriage :getin:

to eve??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
where's my bingo card...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

I have many threads I read to be sad, and this is the one I read to be happy and y'all are really messing up my ratios right now

sorry friend, hope this helps

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
rather than playing any of the mario games I've spent money on recently, I'm instead finishing mario party 64. it's super cute but the worlds are definitely too large for the amount of stuff to do. the minigame levels are rad though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Magical Melody: I got Eve knocked up :heysexy:

My new project is getting all the villagers to be around at the same time but oh my god there's so many of them and they all need constant attention to keep them around and I only have so much I can give :gonk:

saving the goddess, befriending everyone, showing up that clown jamie

choose two

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best part of yakisoba pan is the pickled ginger imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

wuggles posted:

God of War was good but I too am over dark cinematic AAA games

i've never played any of the older gods of wars and never will but i liked dad of war enough to platinum it (not that it's hard to do at all) after a friend insisted i borrow his copy. the story is fine, certainly not very dark, but i really liked fighting all the optional valkyries

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ds2 rips

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Arzaac posted:

I had a gamecube memory card that was 1024 blocks. I imagine it must have been third party because it got corrupted and I lost like, all of the save data that was on it. It didn't look like 3rd party though, it looked like an official memory card.

At any rate I lost the first 20 hours of Skies of Arcadia and that's why I've never finished Skies of Arcadia.

i had an official one that died pretty quickly, taking quite a few files with it. fortunately one of my friends had very similar taste and let me copy a bunch of his files, and even more fortunately he was much more into resident evil 4 than i was. so that's how i unlocked the handcannon without at all earning it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

I would never betray the sanctity of changed a named character's name. If they're anonymous they are fair game but Cloud is Cloud, Ash is Ash and Link is Link :hai:

something I've picked up on while watching a shitload of the pokemon anime is that pikachu has a consistent vocabulary, for instance saying pika-pi to ash because his japanese name is satoshi :3:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what is the virtual currency spent on, bathroom breaks?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

The one thing that criticisms of Octopath have in common is that people wish that the characters' stories intertwined in some way beyond the very end, and that characters interacted during each others' stories (rather than basically just being silent party members during 8 separate solo stories).

If that's not something that's likely to bother you, you'll probably have a good time.

And again, I cannot say enough good things about how the game uses its really good soundtrack. Every character has a cool "get pumped up" theme song that plays before their bosses and transitions smoothly into the boss theme and it's always really motivating and energizing. Really cool touch.

the party members do interact! in brief, easily missable one-on-one conversations that only occur if you have the right characters in your party at specific points in a given chapter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait what's the difference between Bomberman R and Bomberman R Online?

probably less notable than the difference between bomberman and bomberman online

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
every time i play custom robo i'm impressed by how much optional npc dialogue there is. at the lab break-in the game starts with, every cop and burglar pair gets a new line after every battle even when they're unconscious. if you revisit areas at the end of a day everyone has new stuff to say, and every opponent has a line if you lose to them. it may not be that long or large of a game but still, i'm here for it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They're called dungeon crawlers......

But aren't you walking most of the time?

speak for yourself

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've just gotten to a party split in sonic chronicles and the toughest decision by far is where to send cream, aka the busted infinite mp battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

Yahtzee is good

still stuck in 2006 i see