Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I know there was an lp for the way on here pretty recently.

The game can best be described as a hot mess, imo. Setting's pretty cool tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My favorite writer's lazy plot point is inventing the whole "being around Sin makes you confused" and that excuse only exists for Tidus and you never see it happen to a single person

I dont think this is canon but I like to imagine that a whole lot more people than Tidus and Jecht have come out of dream zanarkand and all have similar stories about encountering Sin which leads people to assume Sin is causing their amnesia

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've probably posted this before but I legitimately like gacha systems; I think if they're done right you can have a lot of fun with having to figure out how to complete challenging content with just the characters you pull instead of whatever the current OP meta team is. The problem of course being that a lot of gacha games don't work like that, in fact most of them are designed to make you constantly wanna spend money in order to beat the next weekly event or whatever. But still, there are a few here and there where you can have a bunch of fun without spending a dime.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno, MMO style "you can do this all you want but you only get loot the first time for balance" feels like a good thing to discourage poopsocking.

"You can only play this game while you have stamina and then you can't play anymore" feels dramatically worse, that's purely aimed at my pocketbook. Especially since they sell stamina.

Speaking from my own personal experience I prefer dailies or weeklies to stamina because they're both designed to make your gamer brain keep playing the game, stamina's just dramatically more clingy

If I've got a daily, I can pretty much just do it whenever, as long as I do it in the day

Stamina means I'm pretty much constantly checking the drat game because the stamina bars like 5 hours long and if I don't spend my stamina before I hit max I'm wasting it so I gotta check in like 5 times a day

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Extreme Hard Mode: Identifying 2000s-2010s Shooter Protagonists, portraits only

Edit:

I think #7 is Shepard but other than that I have absolutely no clue

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I'd expect the manual to have an explanation that actually no, these are corrupt cops under Kingpin's payroll, not like real cops who never do anything bad!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I even saved the match log because I'm a nerd

Did you get a really good hand or was it an "oops I just happened into 6 Dora" kind of Baiman?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Reminds me of that one wendy's tabletop rpg imo

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

definitely subway, then i can maintain at least some dignity

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

raditts posted:

how does it compare to Dark Souls 2? I've been trying to get back around to DS2 since I've had enough of a break after doing Demons/DS1/Sekiro last year, but it feels like all my character's actions are laggy and lethargic, I can't parry things for poo poo in this game.

Honestly you're probably having trouble parrying because the parry frames are way different from Dark Souls 1. In DS1 every single weapon has 6 active parry frames the second you hit the button, followed by a number of recovery frames (14-20) depending on the weapon.

Dark Souls 2, there's a bunch of startup frames for every weapon (9-39) where parries don't work, followed by a variable number of active frames (4-18, again weapon dependant) and then some recovery frames (39-60). The only weapon that functions like Dark Souls 1 parries is the Monestary Scimitar, with frame data of 0/18/49, and that's a New Game Plus weapon.

Also probably relevant to this, is this chart comparing roll data between souls games. You can see you need like 105 AGI to get anywhere close to having a roll that feels like the good DS1 rolls, and even then you've got a bunch of recovery frames.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I missed cat pic hours? Well here they are anyway.

For bonus points here's my dog too.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I bought Sonic Chronicles because I was thinking "Oh boy, I love both Sonic and RPGs! This is gonna be great!"

(It was not, in fact, great)

At least you can use Cream to completely break the game in two

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Evil Genius 2 is a game that gave me a big sense of dread when it was announced but it turns out that the devs are seriously just making a no strings attached sequel.

It looks amazing, tbh

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Cars that adopt a character's design: pretty cool, radical even

Cars that look like you transformed the character into a car: horrifying, why would you do this

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My first thought is Guardian Heroes, it's a Treasure beat em up/rpg. Every character is a different class and they've all got unique movesets with fighting game inputs and command lists.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

DFO is Still The Best

It's like the least KMMO-y KMMO though, like there are a bunch of stereotypes I can think of regarding KMMOs that just do not apply to DFO

Yeah but relying on those shortcut keys alone isn't gonna be that helpful when you end up with more skills than you have hotkeys and you start having to figure out which skills you can best cancel out of or combo into to account for cooldown times and which skills you'll want to keep attached to button combos so you can make room for hotkey skills.

e: Other good beat em up rpgs: river city ransom series, the dungeons & dragons beat em ups

The other cool thing is that you can rebind those inputs to be whatever you want. If you wanna do complex inputs you can but you can easily rebind a bunch of them to be smash bros style commands too.

Honestly I might wanna play more DFO, I haven't touched it in forever

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Harrow posted:

Meanwhile, while Square was worrying about Final Fantasy games being too hard for stupid Americans on the SNES, an Enix-published game around the same time called The 7th Saga was made harder for the North American release, to the point that it's one of the most notoriously difficult (to the point of being unfair) RPGs of the era.

I'd love to play a version with the original balance because that game has some really cool and unique ideas, but the difficulty is wildly overtuned in the North American version.

There's a romhack you can get that restores the monster and character stats to their original values, if you're curious.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Probably the worst part is that FF3 has a bunch of fights that are pretty much designed to be tackled with certain team comps, meaning that you pretty much waste time adjusting to new jobs every time those happen.

Though the worst part is the job levels they added. I assume they wanted to add job levels to make things a little more interesting and encourage specialization but they went a bit too far. Job levels have a pretty significant impact on your job, and they max out at 99. Basically encouraging you to stay in one job the entire time, in a game that also wants you to experiment with combinations to beat tough fights. It's a mess.

For bonus points, job level also affects Thief's steal chance, so good luck stealing anything if you don't have a permanent thief.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I had a gamecube memory card that was 1024 blocks. I imagine it must have been third party because it got corrupted and I lost like, all of the save data that was on it. It didn't look like 3rd party though, it looked like an official memory card.

At any rate I lost the first 20 hours of Skies of Arcadia and that's why I've never finished Skies of Arcadia.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm not even sure I have a favorite pizza anymore, I just have a list of toppings I like and as long as some combination of them are there I'm good to go

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Is what COWARDS say because the best is sausage and feta

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I honestly think the only problem I have with Octopath is the asinine way the stories play out. You really should be able to pick a character and play their story from start to finish instead of doing everyone's chapter 1, then everyone's chapter 2, then everyone's chapter 3...

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The only roadmaps that I actually care about are indie game roadmaps, but also they tend to have full, complete, fun games and the roadmaps are "hey look at all this cool stuff we're adding"

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, I only joined a year ago

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

wuggles posted:

Speaking of the upcoming Boyfriend Dungeon is going to be very good

https://youtu.be/lRQjfd0Zf5U

Well, I do like boyfriends AND dungeons

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite part of Kill La Kill is that the villain has roughly the same plan and motivation as Lavos from Chrono Trigger

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Simone Magus posted:

I'm sitting in the parking lot of a gay bar in a little town in the south and I've just been informed that tonight is the night that straight married swingers take over the place

:negative:

This should be illegal holy poo poo

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think I have a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games on PS3 I never downloaded so uh, I better get on that

Or just emulate them I guess, console storefronts feeling more and more like a scam

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, you set a deck of 12 spells and have access to 4 of them at a time, as you use spells you'll draw a new spell in that slot.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also near as I can tell, "spells" in this case are just Creatues, Sorceries, and Enchantments. Equipment and Artifacts exist but are basically just equip slots, and I'm assuming instants got just rolled into Sorcery.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

homeless snail posted:

it was fun if you had a good deck but an expensive pain in the rear end to get there. lots of cards that are worthless unless you play another specific card on them to give them a pilot and a gun or whatever. really benefited these days by the ability to just play whatever weird card game you want with complete access to all the cards

I feel like a lot of card games end up falling into this trap. I know like YuGiOh is full of archetypes that are weirdly insular, like there's an archetype based all around Skull Servant. Not like, skeleton or dark monsters, but specifically the card Skull Servant. To the point where other cards will have text along the lines of "This card's name is treated as Skull Servant when in your hand/battlefield/graveyard". It's wild and forces you to make super specific decks. Like, you've got creature types for a reason, but you're not using them at all?

And also it honestly limits creativity. MTG tends to create archetypes that feed into each other but don't require that you run cards in that archetype. They tend to be broad enough that you can often find alternate uses for them outside the obvious ones.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah that sounds like a fun concept, but also a concept that's really difficult to translate to actual gameplay without it being extremely clunky

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hey, I don't blame you, spellboost is just a really fun mechanic to play around with and often requires specific play orders to get your cards exactly where they need to be. Granted, I'm a filthy control/D-shift player but a lot of principles are the same.

The only other deck I really messed around with was Havencraft aggro and that was a ton of fun for pretty similar reasons. Messing around with your amulets to summon strong monsters way earlier than you should be able to was a great feeling.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'll be honest, I'm into it, I'm always a sucker for a cool story from an incredibly unlikely place.

I should probably get back into Shadowverse really, it's a remarkably good card game for being from that huge wave of Hearthstone ripoffs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

Kid Icarus: Uprising, normally I’d never want a sequel cause it can’t hope to match the original as a whole, but a sequel that’s guaranteed to catch the lightning in the bottle again? Heck yeah.

More than a sequel I really just want a switch remaster. Pretty much everything would still work, you could use gyro aiming, but they would have to change how the camera controls work. Which is frankly, a good thing for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I think all the Gex games are pretty decent