Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

my top three marvels are cap: winter solider (great action), thor ragnarok (funny), and doctor strange (looked cool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

another point in winter soldier’s favor is congressman garry shandling’s exquisitely slimy delivery of “hail hydra”

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i feel like i'm just elitistly having my sensibilities offended here but i can't help being irked by the implication that that style of "profound" dialogue is what screenwriters do and should aspire to, and that the disney+ limited series "wandavision" is the apotheosis of an art form that everyone else is just playing around with

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think i need to watch wandavision asap though because it does sound cool but it seems like we're nearing the point where i will no longer be able to avoid being spoiled on whatever the big Thing is

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

The other funny thing about it is that structurally it's an inversion of the trendy "mystery box" JJ Abrams show because the audience goes in knowing a lot more than the characters about what's going on and we're watching Wanda and Vision gradually catch up to where we are already

does this require me to be up to date on the latest happenings in the larger marvelverse or will the show explain it to me?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

in other superhero news my 4yo has developed an intense interest in spider-man and i showed him into the spider-verse, which he now requests to watch almost every weekend, so i have seen it probably half a dozen times over the past couple of months and you know what? doesn't get old. great movie. looks great, sounds great, good jokes, good action, sad villain, mahershala ali, it's got everything

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ymgve posted:

You need to know what happens in Infinity War/Endgame, at least

e: sorry for this crummy snipe

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think this is my all-superhero top five

5. Batman (1989)
4. Darkman
3. Logan
2. The Dark Knight
1. Into the Spider-Verse

e: gently caress i forgot about blade! poo poo!!!!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

on the topic of old superhero movies, my wife and i watched richard donner's "superman" (1978) a while ago, which we did not enjoy. very strange film that really struggled to build momentum until like the last half hour (it is a two-and-a-half hour movie). gene hackman's clownish performance as lex luthor was by far the most entertaining part of the film although it didn't exactly make for a thrilling struggle between justice and avarice or anything. also could have done without the long, excruciating scene of lois lane suffocating to death as she is buried alive. on a lighter note i heard that marlon brando was absolutely not going to learn his lines for this film under any circumstances, so he had them written down on for example the front of baby kal'el's diaper

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

Is this the place to ask random questions about older games like Octopath Traveler that don't have an active thread anymore? Trying to kit myself out for the endgame and I thought I was ready, but the side quest boss in the Forest of Purgation is giving me serious grief, and my whole party is in the low 70s while the level recommendation for the area is 58.

you could also try the switch thread, lots of octopath likers in there

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

It really is, such a nice chill song.

I love the Kazoo

the kazoo makes it. i love that it doesn't show up until you start thinking the song is almost over, then they really let it rip

Weedle
May 31, 2006

other choice cuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfoI86n950Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ6qcQvISOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Qvdv4ba04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0U1plBLX94

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you might ask, why would a horror game have a scene where you chase a dog to jet set radio music. but deadly premonition asks, why don't other horror games have a scene where you chase a dog to jet set radio music???

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm amped for elden ring, but i'm okay with it taking a while yet to come out because i still have so much other fromsoft soulsborniko stuff to do still. maybe by the time i've finished them all as many times as i've finished ds1, it will have a release date

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bowsette

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1366432756016807946

Weedle fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 1, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wasn't there a goon who claimed that billy mitchell's hot sauce gave them stomach cancer

Weedle
May 31, 2006

all numbers are imaginary. what is a four. it's not a thing. it's just an idea. like dracula

Weedle
May 31, 2006

golly that's a nice interface. pokemon interfaces started looking really good in the gba era i think, when the text boxes and stuff got really colorful and chunky and there was more skeumorphism in the menus. love how clean it's become while still being very inviting

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I want to see a cut of every Marvel movie where Captain Marvel just swoops in half an hour into the movie, solves the problem and leaves and it's over.

wouldn't that just be a tv show

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wuggles posted:

What a weird fuckin game.

i never played it, but as a kid i did have a small book of hints & tips for the hottest new nintendo games, including blast corps. the descriptions of the levels, goals, and actions in the game made it sound like an absolute nightmare. not to play but like, as a world in which to exist

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i really appreciate the artistry of a lot of apple arcade games, but i ultimately unsubscribed because picking an apple arcade game to play feels a lot like picking what kind of pictures i want to look at while i poke them. most of them do not have particularly involved gameplay

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there is a weird mobile game that i really like called "triglav." it feels souls-inspired but it's almost 20 years old, so maybe it inspired the souls games instead. it seems kind of like a roguelike but isn't, although it does have permadeath. you're traversing the floors of this tower fighting enemies, talking to npcs, and solving puzzles. communication is non-verbal and many npcs will request items that you don't recognize or know where to find, but if you remember where they were when you do find them you can bring them back for rewards, sometimes significant ones. combat is simple but fairly challenging, and if you get killed you can use one of an assortment of items you find to avoid permadeath, but these items also have unique effects during gameplay so it can be tough to decide what to burn. the levels of the tower are hand-crafted, visually compelling, and fun to explore. you'll come across cryptic signs and sigils whose purposes aren't immediately apparent, but as you become more familiar with the game world you'll start seeing relationships between things in different areas. i really thought it was just going to be a simple, spooky action game but it's much more than that. highly recommended and free. one of the most uniquely enjoyable mobile games i have ever come across

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/triglav/id1410545078
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SmokymonkeyS.Triglav

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i mean, they were definitely fun-filled adventures

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wuggles posted:

oh yeah that's a good one too

hm should I play Y3 or just replay YK2

kiwami 2 has way better gameplay but 3 has a way better story. imo.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

karmicknight posted:

Same but joshi wrestlers.

I said come in! posted:

I live to see every single one of them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's always a treat to drive past a freight train on the expressway and get a load of all the big bright tags all over the cars

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you definitely shouldn't be going around leaving paint in natural environments but that's totally unrelated to the issue of graffiti on man-made structures

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

How many of the pro-graffiti folks here own any property? Just wondering.

you mean the kind of property that graffiti artists paint on? probably none. private homes aren't really popular targets

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I think it's not something to get outraged over, whether or not you think some jackass fortunate enough to have the liberty to go enjoy then tag some designated nature area for humans to do human activity with some arbitrary degree of nature preservation in place, while still expressly being a place for humans to tromp around the nature. It doesn't seem genuine to feign concern for the natural environment, so much as it's inconsiderate to other people who want to visit these same places and see the same natures. You don't wanna be reminded of some jackass with a spraycan while you're on a hike or whatever, cool, just say that.

The part I thought was laughable and amusing is the way a rock most people will never see or hear of became a huge point of contention over one of many acts and marks of human activity that anyone present will necessarily be participating in one or more parts of.

They blew up a mountain and poisoned the water to make my phone, that's not really cool either is it, and I'm not exactly going to stop using and buying the things because I know that, but the funny part is that when the person painted the rock everyone could get all righteous about it because hardly anyone goes to that rock, let alone paints on it, so it's easy to be like "heh, I'd never do that abhorrent poo poo, what kind of subhuman trash would even suggest that being okay even casually"

accusing people of virtue signaling about this isn't a good look. the main reasons that painting rocks in nature is discouraged are the following.

1) paints often contain harmful chemicals that can linger in the environment for an extraordinarily long time and negatively affect the flora and fauna of the area
2) other people see the painted rocks and take that as encouragement to paint their own rocks

literally everyone who works in a caretaker capacity for any kind of nature preserve loving hates this poo poo. they are constantly picking up painted rocks and clearing rock stacks and poo poo alongside the usual litter cleanup work. not every place on earth is a playground for humans, even if most of it is by now

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got my first shot on saturday but my wife has to wait until april despite her job putting her in direct indoor contact with the public for the entire duration of the pandemic to date. fortunately her mom is on the cherokee rolls and the tribal administration here has their poo poo way more together so she might be able to lifehack her way into a vaccine at the indian clinic

Weedle
May 31, 2006

here's my geo guess: earth. boom. got it in one

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rarity posted:

Wrong, we're actually in the matrix

where do you think they store our goop pods

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mobile games are also very ephemeral due to the constant changes to the platform that require continual app updates to support, and games without microtransactions generally don't have that long tail of revenue that makes it worth publishers' time to keep them updated. a lot of customers, with good reason, don't have confidence that a game they buy now is still going to be playable in a couple of years. that, combined with the race to the bottom that occurred in the first year or so of the iphone app store that established $1-3 as the standard mobile game price point and $10 for the absolute most top notch premium titles, means that people are generally reluctant to invest any significant amount of money in a mobile game. the fact that it takes basically no effort at all to pirate paid android games makes developers even more likely to rely on microtransactions instead of up-front purchases

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the thing that turns me off most about gacha rpgs is the sense that i have to be really careful not to waste limited resources. like in a single player offline rpg if i run out of something important i just google "robinson's requiem where to get bug legs" or something and then i go to the slime pits and get the bug legs and i'm back in business. but in gacha games the answer to questions like that are always "grind for a week and a half or spend $35"

e:

Cardiovorax posted:

Knowing that even where you can collect those secondary resources yourself, the game is intentionally just slightly too slow to make it reasonable or fun and that the only way to get around it is to pay for currency repeatedly, that is what kills it for me. I've gotten into arguments with people about microtransactions before and about how much of them I think are acceptable in a game before it's too much, but gacha games and their whole sales methodology is the definition of predatory business practices to me. At least a regular MMO gives you a fixed amount of time per month for the money and for that amount, you get full access to everything. Even that is more than I'm willing to deal with, but at least they don't nickel and dime you to death.

lol yup exactly

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

They swapped their color schemes so Mythra has Pyra's hair/clothing colors and Pyra has Mythra's. It's one of the alternate colors for them in Smash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Why was Breath of the Wild called that anyway, what is the breath of the wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iflGTN9Lt9s

Weedle
May 31, 2006

uh oh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: how did I never notice that

in the words of former forums poster "zyborne cock,"

quote:

In this moment, Luigi is demonstrating more of the ephemeral qualities of "Mario" than Mario himself. Mario Mario is, in essence, learning from Luigi Mario how to be Mario Mario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Harrow posted:

warch is unimprovable

overwarch