Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's up UKMT, long time no see. Let me tell you things in Bristol are loving lit right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kecske posted:

I'm not implying anything, I'm pretty clearly saying that the state is not above abandoning a bait vehicle somewhere it's going to attract anger from a crowd so they can take pictures of the vandalised vehicle and plaster it across the news.

It's hard to say it was a bait vehicle when it was parked right in front of the police station

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mebh posted:

Do tell!

Livestream here

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Livestream journo is an SWX fan, credibility ruined :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

I like that "kill the bill" is ambiguous as to whether it means the legislation or the police.

I've known about this protest all week and only spotted that this morning :cripes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/djbirkinshaw/status/1373745422376828933

https://twitter.com/ChowardReal/status/1373755747507568640

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 21, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Look you can debate the merits of violence as a political tool and the valid tactics of protesting all day long but you can't deny that a guy doing a kickflip in front of a flaming van is loving cool

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

crispix posted:

NO you have to give the police several weeks notice of your intention to protest so they can sort out shifts and that to make sure they can kettle and beat you if you shout too loudly or have a sign with a rude word on it, HAVE SOME CONSIDERATION :mad:

Filling out forms so I can schedule the slot for my baton beating

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yeah the torched van was parked outside the police station from the moment the protest got there and had probably been there all day

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Saviour posted:

how do you even hurt a riot cop

Catching your mate on the backswing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sinky posted:

I don't see what good an inquiry into covid will do, there's simply nothing we could have done.

'No need for inquiry into COVID handling' say people likely to be implicated by inquiry into COVID handling

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If your protest means going where the police tell you to go and doing what the police tell you to do then it's not a protest

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh for most people the idea of protest extends to maybe signing a change.org petition, or at least liking an instagram story of someone else doing so

I sat in my room for ten minutes thinking really hard about how sad this all is, I contributed

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lining up protestors and making them do kickflips to identify the guilty party

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bristol Police Station has protestors rammed outside it for the second time in a week :getin:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

Police already reporting 3 stubbed toes, 1 sprained wrist and 2 officers with nasty headaches

One cop has even had to get a letter from his mummy cause he's got a nippy tummy, when will the violence end? :negative:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 26, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1375538103667023872

Sorry, English folks, but I'm doing unilateral independence by going to the border with a shovel and just digging a big ditch to snap us off like a kitkat.

This is fair

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Julio Cruz posted:

setting fire to Bristol

Sadly there is a distinct lack of flaming police vans tonight :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Who the hell is REF?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wait what are they trying to reform? We already Brexited :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the new sex arsier Suez crisis is screaming at me to start my own uk based sex arse business. IF not now then when?

Those arses won't sex themselves!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

namesake posted:

Yeah they used dogs on protesters on one road and horses on the other. Seen at least one arrest with batons used (on stream). Completely peaceful apart from half dozen eggs until the cops started having a go at the protesters.

If any clips come up please can you share? So far all I've seen is stuff that's a bit scary but didn't cause any actual harm. Nothing even comparing to Tuesday yet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

Great to see you posting btw, hope you're doing well :)

Thanks, I'm doing good. I'm not in UKMT much these days cause I stay away from politics unless things really kick off but I'm doing good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Perfect Element posted:

Bristol scenes look awful. I'd like to go to one of the other city protests (either London or Brighton I guess) but I'd need to bring my toddler and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

That's totally fair, not everyone's in a position to protest. You can still help by spreading the message on social media and highlighting police brutality not being shown in the media

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1375707945175035904

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1375718107877101569

A&S Police I think you might have hosed it lads

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

StarkingBarfish posted:

My god, there's an *arc* and I've only seen 2 of them:

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1375565658667253766

THE LORE OF THE SEX ARSE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Maybe Bristol wouldn't be kicking off we could access our sex arses :thunkher:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MikeCrotch posted:

Heading to the Nottingham protest, apparently the fash are about but Nottinghamshire police are usually not as baton happy as the Met or A&S

Hope it goes well, stay safe friend

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/catherinecadams/status/1375845874434244612

https://twitter.com/NavajoChris/status/1375849082963513347

https://twitter.com/SomersetLive/status/1375848531681026051

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MikeCrotch posted:

Manchester really going for it huh lol

Looks like

https://twitter.com/_JD_Black/status/1375833486758707210

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Back when I went to uni in the 00s a girl from there told me it was the #1 place for stabbings in the country. Is that still true?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What was this? Already got deleted.

Hoping police didn't get their riot shields and baton's dirty with protestor blood

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1376163201935622147?s=19

We just need to appeal to Tory voters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Excited for the exhibit detailing the assassination of a sitting MP by a pro-Leave terrorist

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An account of cops incorrectly arresting someone for the first Bristol protest

quote:

This has been shared about a bit already but I wanted to reshare what has happened to me on Friday now that I have submitted an official complaint. I think it is important that as many people can see how intimidating, disorderly, undemocratic and incompetent the police force is. Sorry it is a bit long.
In short they tried to arrest me but had the wrong person which would have been obvious if they weren't so incompetent and ill-prepared but the way they went about this arrest was extremely problematic.
On Friday a police officer impersonated a post man at my student house (occupied by young women), telling my housemate that I needed to sign for a broken parcel, when she turned to go upstairs and get me he followed her into the house, uninvited and 3 or 4 more large male officers in plain clothing followed into the house (they could have been anyone), they were half way up the stairs before claiming to be police and waving what must have been a warrant or badge. They then all burst into my bedroom without knocking, without a female officer present, I was not fully dressed.
They immediately handcuffed me and kept telling me they had a warrant for my arrest and that I was under arrest for violent and disorderly behaviour. I was having a panic attack and uncontrollably shrieking, extremely disorientated, asking to call my mum (they said no). They were all big men in my room (which is obviously not a monitored space) and my flatmate was told to leave and go to her room. (context: 100s of police sexual harassment claims that have gone un-investigated have been brought to light the past few weeks plus the rape and murder of Sarah Everard by a policeman... also context: living in Bristol, every day this week I have seen footage of policemen violently assaulting peaceful protesters and innocent civilians - please ask if you need to see this for yourself)
They were unable to take me to the police station immediately like they wanted to because I objected to going without clothes on and they had to call for a female officer so I could be dressed. As this was taking a while, they started talking about the possessions they would be seizing, including what I was wearing on Sunday. I pointed out my coat from that day and they said, sounding like absolute idiots, "oh the girl in the photo wasn't wearing that", then as they had some more time to kill and I was still asking what violent and disorderly behaviour I had allegedly committed and what evidence they supposedly have to have got a warrant for my arrest, and they showed me a photograph.
The photograph of the girl they presented to me after some time of me being in major distress, clearly did not look like me. Her hair was blue and a different cut and length to mine, she had no eyebrow piercing (I do), a different face shape, body type, features, everything. It was SO obvious that when I said “well, no that’s not me” they asked if I knew who it was instead. At this point they were aware of their error of judgement, but they still did not uncuff me immediately. They had no right to cuff me or arrest me before confirming my identity against their so-called evidence (just a photograph of a girl at a protest). I was still in great distress (they used the word “distressed” to describe me so were aware) and they were patronising and untrained to deal with any kind of mental health problems or panic attacks.
Then one of them decided I should be allowed to put some joggers on. This was humiliating as I struggled, crying, to find trousers and put them on while in handcuffs and shaking from the stress and then my housemate was allowed back in to put them on for me.
The whole ordeal lasted around 20 minutes and they finished by telling me I was no longer under arrest but not apologising. They didn’t leave me any paperwork which I believe they are meant to (speaking of procedure, I was very disorientated but am fairly certain they did not read me my rights when arresting me), it is unsurprising that they didn’t want to create a paper trail of their incompetence and vile behaviour. They showed they had found a photo of someone else (a model I did not know) on my professional photography Instagram account, who had blue hair and assumed it was me as I owned the account. This is a ridiculous leap of judgement but also knowing they had my social media, it is clear that the least intelligent person ever could have taken under a minute to see that I was not that girl, just from my social media without raiding my home. I also wonder how police can easily get a warrant for the wrong person yet seem to struggle to catch the actual murderers and rapists on our streets and get justice for real victims.
I will also add one of my flatmates heard them refer to me as their “prisoner” amongst other unprofessional and offensive things they said during the ordeal. In regard to Covid-19 the officers were not wearing any form of face covering or PPE, but they crammed into my small unventilated bedroom, not respecting social distancing and touching my belongings.
It’s worrying that police can get a warrant without any grounds for it and that they proceed to terrorise innocent people. I am uncomfortable in my own home now, I can’t answer the door, even in the daytime comfortably. As well as exacerbating my anxiety to a crazy level, I feel so assaulted and victimised, I also had chest pains and a splitting headache that evening from the stress.
I know people love to have their own opinion and speculate about this kind of thing, but this is a real event that has happened to me and has traumatised me so if you want a political debate go somewhere else as I am emotionally worn down and it would be incredibly insensitive. I am sharing an account, not an opinion. I don’t have faith in the police or the British justice system so to round things off: Kill the bill; the imminent police, crime and sentencing bill will make incidents like this more frequent and intense.
I will be reaching out to press/media about this. Feel free to share but I will not tolerate hate towards me or being spoken about objectively in people’s Facebook comments.
Also, i acknowledge my privilege in this situation. This was a terrible experience for me and my household but I am also well aware of the disproportionate number of black people who have died in uk police custody and have experienced systematic police brutality. I fear for others' physical safety if the police continue doing this.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

willie_dee posted:

Has she made a complaint to the iopc about this? Who ever authorised that based on a photo of a model on someone’s social media needs firing.

It was from Facebook, not someone I know directly. If she does complain I'm sure it'll be a case of "mistakes were made, police trying to do their best under stress at a very difficult time, lessons will be learned etc etc etc"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Poor delivery, unwilling to run with the ball and has a habit of being miles off target, I don't rate the lad

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

multijoe posted:

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of the public prefer incompetence to competence.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of this country prefer this country to be much poorer rather than a country that believes in shared prosperity for all

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of this country prefers to look inward rather than outward at the world.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a large part of the British media are very deeply compliant with this government.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of this country preferred to believe the poisoned nefarious narratives about Jeremy Corbyn rather than hear about good old Boris and what he is up to.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of this country prefers public services to be cut and taxes to be low rather than make sure all our public services are well funded.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of this country prefers flags, populism and individualism rather than a country that is fairer for all in society.

Is it Keir Starmer's fault that a considerable part of the public prefer oven ready deals rather then trade deals with our former biggest trade partner.

For Christ sake your enemy is not Keir Starmer but those that are in power now.

Get behind him rather than repeatedly criticise him and you might be surprised.

[x]

Source your quotes

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh it just looked like it was linking to the main article :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's VERY much playing with fire but the UK consistently plays with fire cause a fire could never happen here.

(Please ignore the fire that happened here a few years ago)