Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

Lol he's still mad she wanted nothing to do with him

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1366309836682653696?s=19

So, when will these false accusations be made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I saw her on Marr over breakfast yesterday and gently caress me she's a non-entity. No charisma, no presence, no ideas, no ability to read the mood of the electorate, just nothing. Of course, she attended the same school as Michael Gove (Robert Gordon College in Aberdeen), love that meritocracy.

The Irony being that the other fee paying schools in Aberdeen hold Robert Jordan's in contempt, and the University doubly so regarding the jumped up technical college.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

And Sarwar begins as expected: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-56238614

At this rate I'm beginning to think Labour would like to have a coalition with the Tories.

Aberdeen City Council is a bit of a special case. There was corruption involved.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

they're keeping him on ice until we reopen again so thousands can catch covid at his funeral.

Philip isn't going to have a state funeral. He's said he doesn't want one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

u brexit ukip it posted:

I don't know exactly what a smart meter can and can't do, but my main concern would be whether it can send live readings. When (not if) the power company gets hacked, somebody can then essentially see remotely when somebody is or isn't home, since that correlates pretty well with power usage.

Doing a bit of reading it does seem like (some/all?) meters allow you to specify how often it sends updates, between half-hourly and monthly, so I would choose the longest interval that I can.

Monthly reads are optimal for small scale tracking like a single domestic supply. Half hourly data is only required for large scale operations which can burn a ton of power out of hours if the BMS isn't set up correctly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The answer to Cohen's very pertinent question is "not having the full support of the journalist set and thus their scandals being made relevant".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Joe Biden has aphasia and a stutter, making fun of him for misspeaking is pretty lovely TBH. Yes, he makes mistakes talking but because he's had that problem his whole life, even in the days when he ran rings around Paul Ryan a la 2012 he was still making these kind of mistakes.

He also only made one mistake that I heard, where he says "would support unions organising and their right to collectively bargain" and starts to say "... organisation", and even that could have been "would support unions' organisation and collective bargaining" before someone realised it sounded a bit too much like the government would back the unions in negotiations. The other two slips were clear references to earlier drafts. One was about an act that "didn't just say that unions are allowed to exist, but that we should encourage unions" but instead he obviously goes with the (better sounding IMO) "didn't just say that unions are allowed to exist, it said unions should be encouraged to exist". The other was talking about "the deep disparities [of race] that still exist in our country" and he starts to say "in our society".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I can imagine Sturgeon being forced out and the BBC cutting to a house in Scotland where Jo Swinson throws up her arms and cheers in mirror image to when Sturgeon did the same.

I can imagine Swinson doing it, but I can't imagine anyone having the slightest interest in her doing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

peanut- posted:

The country has absorbed this into its soul, it's a message that's constantly reinforced.

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1367096773609684993?s=20

The literal IMF says it's nonsense at this point, but nothing will ever shake the conviction of our political and media class that the nation's finances work like their credit card bill.

The political class don't believe it at all. It's a convenient fiction to support the narrative they want. And the media, well, it's in the air as to whether the tail wags the dog. But if they're not complicit they're compliant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angrymog posted:

Is calling Starmer Keith a common thing now, because there's a guy on the local pollytics FB page who does it, and I don't know if it's now common or if I should be making sure that he doesn't like some deviant flavour of Monster Munch.

Starmer isn't worthy of the name Keir.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

namesake posted:

Why do you think it's being spent on things rather than transferred out of government accounts into private accounts and so it is 'spent'?

It's literally this. You can't explain how the money is being spent because it isn't being spent. The Tories are simply looting the country and using the pandemic to cover it up. Hence their pandemic strategy, which is prolonging the crisis because the longer it goes on and the worse it gets, the more they can take.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Supporting Hitler until the day before the war didn't destroy them, I'm sure they'll find a way around this one too :sigh:

"Until the day before", he says.

This one could hit them harder, though. Their readership would have been big fans of Hitler when the Mail supported him, but they are big fans of the Royals and this time the Mail are against them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Why on earth do you think Daily Mail royalists like Meghan Markle?

Oh, she's the Duchess of Sussex? Then I don't know why Guava even thought that the Mail would need to slither out of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

You can do a lot of fun and useful stuff with fridge compressors.

A post that requires no context whatsoever, and indeed may be lessened if such were to be provided.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

"You cunts" is gender neutral and appropriate to any situation. :can:

I didn't think I was going to come in here tonight and see someone say "oval office is gender neutral, akshully".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IllusionistTrixie posted:

I have to say, hoodie, mask, headphones for podcasts, and a written shopping list, I have literally never been happier to take a trip to Asda for the weekly shop. The fact that the shelves are often half bare, and various options just flat missing is only a minor complaint.

I'd have assumed a few months of this now, where its pretty clearly brexit related, people would start to notice/complain but maybe I'm just looking for things that aren't there? (It's the German ham, it's literally not there)

We have our own British ham, and as it voted for Brexit it's scarcely about to complain now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

You need to up your game. Change it to a picture of Starmer, change your handle to Shakespearean Keef, job's a good 'un.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

I think Charles understands that without the goodwill of Brenda the monarchy needs to be less expensive and less of a scandal magnet, which is why he wants to make the whole thing more boring and professional.

Def agree that he wants that crown though

He's the last royal who has been raised as the heir to the throne. Imagine being taught from being a kid that one day you will lead the country and then it never happens.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheRat posted:

Considering how hard he defended the queen, it has to be either Charles or William

It's absolutely William. He's that kind of shithead and if the monarchy persists he'll likely be king a decade or so from now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aramoro posted:

In the group they don't say white. It's either 'wheat', 'whyte', '6f' or just 2 wheat ear emojis.

That's because they want to avoid being grepped. Now think about the contexts in which you might get into trouble for saying "White".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Private Speech posted:

It's about the grep command a.k.a. the linux regular expressions parser, presumably found using wrong phrases on some sort of communication log or whatever.

This. "Grep" fell into parlance on IRC as a generic term for searching through the chat log and extended to all Internet searches. I tend to use it because it's shorter than "search the Web" and more generic than "Google".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

josh04 posted:

"grokked" is the made-up cyberpunk term.

No, "grok" is taken from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land and means to understand something. Entirely different.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Unkempt posted:

Dredd has 'Drokk' and 'Grudd', which as I recall are official Justice Department swearwords to allow Judges to express themselves without offending the citizens.

Grud is what they call God in the 22nd century. The other JD sanctioned swear word is "stomm".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

People who complain about others being too sensitive are often extremely sensitive about their own ideas and I don't think that hypocrisy is really a problem for them, because the people who like them are much the same way, the point is merely the dominance of their ideas, and if throwing a big flounce is a useful tactic they will do it. For all that they might claim to be above that, in reality the thing that really matters is dominating the situation, the pretense of seriousness and factuality is only as a method of dominating, and refusing to participate when they find it unpleasant is just another form of it.

You could have saved a lot of words by saying "The right project".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

They've arrested a met officer over the Sarah Everard disappearance. Yeesh.

"While we understand that the public believe that nobody is truly safe if the Metropolitan Police have begun raping and murdering white women with no criminal record, we must stress that the incident occurred when the officer in question was off duty."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

My assumption would be because of triage, people don't get seen in a linear order for most things. idk though.

Pure speculation here, but the two who jumped the queue could have been intersex.

Regardless, the FOI doesn't include enough data to interpret the figures. As a bare minimum I'd need to know how many people were on the list when the oldest case on it joined and how many people were taken off the list each year without being referred.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kyojin posted:

Is it relevant that he was off duty because if he were on duty the rape and murder would be legally allowable under the new bill? Or is that not yet passed?

No, this is me being cynical about it being normal for the Met to murder black people while on duty.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Borrovan posted:

I haven't seen the show & don't have an opinion, but this is how the best propaganda works. Look at the BBC, half of the population genuinely seem to believe that it has a left wing bias, the gammons won't stfu about it, and most of the other half just go "oh everyone thinks the BBC is biased against them so it must be balanced" - despite it literally being a matter of public record that all of their politics reporters are lifelong Tory shills and the higher-ups direct political appointments by the Tory party. Now that's good propaganda.

These things are not mutually exclusive. The BBC are both unashamedly pro-Tory and have a left wing bias from the perspective of the gammon half of the population, because the gammons are far enough right to make Hitler look like a liberal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah there are at least certain people at the beeb who would find it most distasteful to fire all the artsy people (not enough to fight it, mind you, but they'd feel bad about it)

That's confusing the issue. Artists tend to be left wing, their patrons tend to be right wing. The people at the BBC who wouldn't want to fire the artists are the patrons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Donut posted:

I am starting to wonder if this government is just trying to squeeze as much money out of the country as possible before it implodes, and becomes a failed state.

Welcome to, oh, nine or ten years ago? Everything the Tories have done over the last decade has been the act of a party that was sure it would never be elected again. They just managed to push exactly the right buttons in exactly the right way to ensure that the stupid and the bigoted keep voting for them in large enough numbers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

suck my woke dick posted:

if i were a tory minister that's what i would've been doing from the day of the brexit vote at the very least

You're understating the case. Causing the state to fail is the precise reason why many of the Tory ministers wanted the Brexit vote to begin with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, he could manage the comedy option of dropping Labour below the Lib Dems or Greens if he really puts his back into it.

If you believe that Starmer is in place to permanently wreck the Labour Party, then it logically follows that he's not acting like the leader of the opposition because before Labour, under a Tory government the LOTO would have been a Liberal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

The comedy value of 650 MPs trying to squeeze into a chamber with 129 individual separate seats might be worth it though. everyone pretend you would find it really convincing

It still wouldn't exceed the comedy value of Mogg demonstrating that he knows literally nothing about Britain's government outside Westminster. Most notably that if the Tories went to Stormont to govern, an incident would be almost inevitable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

There's definitely a fair argument that once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, we should be thinking about how to supply countries with active spread and large vulnerable populations left to cover, before we work on vaccinating every single 20 and 30 year old though, right?

We are the country the with large vulnerable population and the active spread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

Don't do this unless you have space for mongeese!!

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongooses."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongeese."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me a mongoose. Actually, make it two."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

As a group they consistently vote for cutting public transport and accessibility and meaningful community and public spaces.

And they do so because "they don't use them" . It's the same as Brexit - they never wanted to travel, live and work in the EU, so why should anyone have the right? So utterly self-centred.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mechanical mandible posted:

I have the exact same thoughts about Skegness; going there enough as a kid kinda makes it hard to let the grimness bother me to much

But it's so bracing!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is being suspended all over the EU. I'm a bit baffled as to why.

It's been linked to blood clotting that can induce a stroke. Global Britain, getting there first again (with yet another way to mass murder people through sheer incompetence)!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coming right after a cop murders a woman on her way home? I guess it's true, cops really never do take off the uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

This is the context needed to interpret Owl's numbers from earlier. It could have been the case that people were exiting and leaving the GIC referral lists at roughly the same rate, meaning that 5 years and change was just how long the process takes. But knowing that they are not, the numbers become indicative of a system that is either starved of support or being purposefully obstructive (if not both).