Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I've never gotten it. Even with the massive PR campaign behind them I don't get why anyone would love this bland, charisma devoid family of rich wankers who's family tree resembles a double helix.

It's part of the Great British Institution™ and is hammered in from an early age as one of the few things we have left to be proud of. The others being racist sitcoms and World War 2.

Lmao the state of this loving island:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

Giving the Tories enough benefit of the doubt that they aren't just shovelling banknotes into a furnace,

It's this. But the furnace is their donors and Eton mates.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

idk who glen greenwald is :)

Johnny Depp used to play him in Fantastic Beasts.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

This needs to be the standard for this sort of thing going forward. Just goes to show how pathetically toothless IPSO is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I get the impression that this is just a one off ruling and not a statute, but it'd be nice if some kind of press standards body decided to use the ruling to justify why this should always be the case.

Have they been told how to word it at all? I can imagine something along the lines of "ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE FORCE MAIL APOLOGY" if they're given any leeway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

there has been an ice cream van going around here for weeks now and like, is that legal lol

Since when is ice cream in March not essential?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What does the P stand for anyway?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I use 'all' at work when I'm not accidentally slipping into 'guys'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Between my headphones and the mask steaming up my glasses going shopping is now a sensory depravation experience and I hate it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The mood in this thread absolutely plummeted after 2019 and the final hope-crushing. It's just been getting steadily worse since then - no one has much to be happy about right now and probably won't for a while.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheRat posted:

Gotta say it feels a bit staged. I'd imagine Piers a lot more red and animated if that was real.

It probably is but the fact that he's willing to look like such a loving toddler on national TV just to keep the attention on himself is phenomenal in itself.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bump_fn posted:

piers morgan is just will farrell from anchorman with an accent

Man I wish our gross, regressive overpaid pundits were actually like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GMB Piers is dead. Long live GBN Piers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tesseraction posted:

I'm pretty sure if she and AOC ever did something together the angry racist boners generated would cause the Terran mantle to implode.

She's already joined streams with breadtubers so it's not outside the realm of possibility. Do UK racists care about her though? I don't really hear her talked about outside of the information superhighway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hard tacos are naturally flawed because it's impossible to stop it from cracking as soon as you bite into it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Whenever I see someone walking a dog after 10pm I assume they're a serial killer using the dog as an excuse to cruise.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember a few years ago I passed a lady in the street and her purse fell out her handbag but she didn't notice, I picked it up and turned round to give it back. I said excuse me, no response, said it three or four more times while following her (she was still walking wherever she was walking) to nothing. Ended up physically tapping her on the shoulder and handing it back. I still remember the look of palpable relief on her face when she realised what was actually happening and at the time I attributed that to just being glad she'd not lost her purse, but now I look back it's pretty clear there was a lot more to it than that and I feel pretty guilty. Not sure what else I could have done in the situation though tbh or what I could do differently were the same thing to happen today.

I suppose saying "you dropped your purse" would have been more likely to get a response than just trying to get her attention.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i'm not a serial killer

How many serial killers are you? :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

marktheando posted:

Was season 2 any good?

It was fine. Didn't try to emulate the successes of the first season and does a few cool things but ultimately isn't essential viewing. It's a shame we won't get season 3 though.

e: If you count the movie (which you shouldn't) Breaking Bad had 63 episodes. That's as many as three 21s.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 12, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/paparoach/status/1370275885908115462

Finally some Brexit dividends.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We used cardboard boxes to move stuff at home so dad could have a bed downstairs before he died, and I swore 'never again'.

It's rare to be able to use them for more than one move, and when you have for example books which are very heavy, you can only put a few in each box and if it's raining or whatever and the bottom drops out of the box - bleurgh. The crates, I rented them for 8 weeks and gave them back after 4 weeks and got a partial refund.
Also, I didn't have any bookcases etc, so I bought a set of 3 bays of shelving (no bolts required) off Big Dug, piled all my stuff onto those (one of my friends was like - why not just put everything in bin bags and sort at your leisure - well hello I don't want to look like shitsville here let alone my flat being absolutely tiny and if my stuff was just in bin bags it would have covered every inch of floor space.).
I eventually had twin track shelves put up last September (was supposed to happen in March, but you know, covid etc) - well out of the range of any potential flooding. And then sold the Big Dugs on.

I used this company for the crate hire: https://www.cratehire-uk.co.uk/

VVV I know.

Wish I'd known this before my last move! Cardboard boxes are the devil's spawn and we were constantly terrified the bottom was going to come out of them even if they were only half full.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really starting to feel the ol' despair seeping in right now. I'm just sat here wondering how much worse things are going to get on all fronts with the frowning consent of all sides of parliament.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

learnincurve posted:

“Well the middle aged white woman shouldn’t have been politely asking to get her glasses after the policeman slapped them off her face for laying down flowers” is a hard sell even for the daily express

https://twitter.com/ilyas_nagdee/status/1370883610262310912?s=19

The Express doesn't give a poo poo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Call them choco-spheres you ghouls.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miftan posted:

There's still gonna be plenty of people who will be very comfortable once their parents die and leave them a house or 3. Plenty for whom that's not gonna happen, but as we can clearly see, not everyone has to be comfortable, just about, oh let's call it 40% of the voting population?

I'd like to think that inheriting a home won't suddenly turn every young person and leftie into a FYGM type. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and naïve but I have to cling to the belief that my generation and those after will be better.

Not to mention the fact that inheritance is going to get more and more diluted over the next few generations as living costs rise and people living longer need to pay out the nose for more care with dwindling state support.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nonsense posted:

Boris is unstoppable.

Where's he even been these last few weeks?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1371242722049339392?s=19

The state sanctioned murder of Jedward is going to be what kicks off the revolution.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just turned 40 and my brain is absolutely, definitely in decline. Nobody should be involved in legislation past 50, nobody should be voting past 60 without some kind of test.

Apparently most brain function peaks at 30 then starts to decline so really 35 should be the cutoff for being allowed to vote, govern or drive without taking some sort of annual aptitude test.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

dang does this mean i'll have to put some thought into my dad's birthday present each year. this is the true dystopia

You can still get their boxes in Tesco

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Saviour posted:

Zarah Sultana seems to be the only shining light in labour right now.

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2021/03/zarah-sultana-the-police-crackdown-bill-is-dystopian

Bell Riberio-Addy too, but I doubt she'll grab the public's attention the same way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Answers Me posted:

I like the way all these reports decline to say whether he’s left hospital dead or alive

Functionally there's no difference anymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pissflaps is a funny reference point and only comes up once a week or so.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Didn't even get a push notification. Utterly foul little cesspit of a country.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't think of any other retailer or restaurant that simultaneously overcharges and devalues its own products to such a huge extent as Dominos and Pizza Hut.

I assume they must make a lot off people willing to pay full price, but it must mostly be dickheads with too much cash who happily spend £500 on 30 pizzas for a party or to show off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah but proper Italian pizza doesn't taste of grease, mixed herbs and flour so what's even the point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

And no pizza, just a piece of toast between two slices of bread.

That sounds quite nice actually.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Under 30s are never going to get it en masse. The pandemic will be declared over and forgotten as soon as the 40+ demographic is fully vaccinated and that'll be the last we hear about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sad Panda posted:

I was surprised myself. It was shared by a teacher in the school I work at. Not sure if it's meant to be used but a coworker got it tonight. Ethically I'm certainly not high risk, but cancelled appointments with <24 hour notice aren't going to all get filled so it seems reasonable to me. Will see why they say when I go tomorrow.

Ethically speaking I don't think there's an issue - anyone booking their own appointments now through that kind of system will have no more need for the vaccine than you, so it's a hell of a lot better if you have it than if it went to waste.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can pay upwards of £20 to watch a stream of some bands live from their living rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently Apple Music pays better than Spotify - but still a pittance. I prefer it anyway because I'm used to iTunes because I make a lot of mistakes.