Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Borrovan posted:

What a massive coincidence that they've got not 1 but 2 completely unrelated stories about how awful she is, just after she (again, completely unrelatedly) pointed out that they are in fact awful
Everything to do with the royal family is awful. Every member of it, the fawning press, people who care about it, people who marry into it, people who profit off it by association - fire all of them into the sun and level Buckingham Palace, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think it's incredibly dangerous to treat any "not guilty" verdict as anything other than innocent. Otherwise we might as well just have a Japanese system with a 99% conviction rate where being hauled in front of a judge is basically an automatic presumption of guilt regardless of evidence.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If there's one thing I can't stand it's a bunch of incredibly privileged people playing out stupid internal drama in public. Enjoy your loving mansions, for fucks sake

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's surprising about it? Some Labour voters will feel a sense of ideological duty to say they support the current leader while others will be more issue based. I would only say it's surprising if the poll swung hugely towards favouring one over the other.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Every British Monarch has been of German blood for over 300 years. The Queen Mother was the first person from a British bloodline for many many generations to ascend to the top step, so much so that Prince William will be the first Monarch since that previously mentioned 300 year period who's bloodline is more British than German. The Queen is half German by bloodline and Prince Phillip has not a drop of British blood so we can thank Diana for that.

The only reason the British royal family have English sounding surnames is because they were changed during WW1 due to anti-German sentiment.

Of course bloodlines and nationality are separate things but it does make you laugh when racists love the royal family.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

ThomasPaine posted:

But this isn't remotely true. It should be, for the reasons described, and there absolutely are examples of the concept of nationalism being constructed to attack ruling monarchs, for example in the French Revolution and arguably earlier in the the various revolts against absentee Habsburg rulers (e.g. the Netherlands), in the former case at least led by the bourgeoise and in essentially liberal capitalist interests. And yes, nationalists and royalists have in different contexts been opposed. However, how do you explain the UK, which after the Glorious Revolution somehow managed to achieve an alliance between aristocratic old money and capitalist new money in the framework of a constitutional monarchy held together by an emergent sense of nationhood? Or Germany, where the Prussian King was able to use the vague notion of German 'nationality' to successfully push for the creation of the Empire by unifying the many tiny warring principalities? Or Italy, where a similar process occurred? Why do the monarchists and the nationalist right tend to overlap so heavily? Whatever the philosophical contradictions, nationalism in Europe has in practice by no means always been opposed to the idea of royalty, and in some cases the two ideologies have directly fed off one another.
The practicality of power. It depends on the situation and who's trying to claim it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Has a year of lockdowns resulted in an increase or decrease in murders? I guess it would be interesting to consider that against the old stats about how most women who are killed are victims of people they know. Like theres not much point in calling for a male 6pm curfew if you're just increasing the chances of people getting murdered. I assume to be honest lockdown hasn't increased the murder rate but probably has the incidence of domestic violence against women.
I remember reading a statistic that a women is murdered by her partner every 3 days in the UK, which is a pretty close number per year to the amount of murders that Jess Phillips read out in parliament. Domestic violence is the biggest issue and it's at home behind closed doors that needs to policed much better. I hope that doesn't get forgotten.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've always found the keys in the fist thing weird as it's a crap way to punch as it makes it hard to ball your fist properly and if you don't know how or aren't used to punching is completely useless anyway.

Much better to just carry a knife.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
As a man I'm wary of someone approaching me on the street, even if I'm not afraid of being attacked when walking around normally. I'll always take a defensive/stand-offish stance, especially at night, unless the person is clearly a tourist. If you are approaching a stranger on the street for some reason (eg returning something they dropped) it's always a good idea to be pretty cautious regardless of their gender.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Borrovan posted:

So if you've only killed 2 people, and somebody's scared that you might murder them, would their fear of being murdered by a serial killer be rational or not? Like, you wouldn't be a serial killer until after killing them

makes u think
I'm going to say yes as the act of killing them would make you a serial killer at that moment. Logically you would be afraid of being killed by a serial killer as there is no way for them to complete the act while being a common murderer.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

sebzilla posted:

Is there a different between serial and spree? Where does "mass murderer" come into it?
A spree killer is when all the kills are in a span of less than 2 weeks (yes I watched Mindhunter, why do you ask?)

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That cheese is in a flexible format

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Weasling Weasel posted:

There's definitely a fair argument that once the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, we should be thinking about how to supply countries with active spread and large vulnerable populations left to cover, before we work on vaccinating every single 20 and 30 year old though, right?
Not really, no point in half measures. All we'd be doing by continuing to let Covid circulate among young people is for a bigger outbreak in the future, for instance the coming winter. It would be a huge mistake to fumble 2 yards from the finish line.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Yeah it sounds like he has some serious mental health issues which might go some way to explaining his actions for lack of other motive. Mental health issues don't explain why he transported and hid the body though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The police have really done it now, manhandling a group of white women. Maybe they'll finally be some consequences for police violence.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Decades of institutional racism, political violence, illegal detainments and open gangsterism and corruption and it only took one protest by white women to get the whole system changed.

Now that's what I call girlpower!

Narrator: Actually, things took a turn for the worse

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Trin Tragula posted:

Is it, though? YouGov did a snap poll...

47-23 in favour of her staying in post; the only age band in favour of her going is 18-24 and then only by 34-30.
Even with all the negative press coverage a majority still say that the police shouldn't have allowed the vigil. Even among women the split is almost 50/50

The one time you think it would be the other way, with the press on the side of the protesters.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Love how after what happened to Sarah Everard the government is going to use it as an excuse to crack down on personal freedoms while doing nothing or very little to tackle the actual problem.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

forkboy84 posted:

I will never mention Pissflaps again if you stop acting like the Scottish independence movement is on a par with ethnonationalist regimes, deal?
It's worse, they aren't even a different ethnicity ffs. It's hipster nationalism.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Apperol Spritz is not the best cocktail by a longshot, but they are nice.

I've really gotten into cocktail making this lockdown, even going as far as buying weird liqueurs and spirits so I can make such oddities as Aviation and Death in the Afternoon, but I think maybe my favourite overall is the simple Daquari.

Been making a ton of Apple Martinis recently -
2 parts vanilla Vodka (50ml per drink standard)
1 part apple juice
Half the juice of a lime per drink (so a whole lime if you're shaking for 2)
2 tea spoons of sugar syrup per drink
Egg white
Shake well to froth up the egg properly, serve in a stemmed glass with a dusting of cinnamon.

Very tasty.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 21, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Vanilla Vodka really is the best Vodka for mixing cocktails, a very worthy purchase if you enjoy shaking up a drink or two. Regular Vodka has its place too of course but for most Vodka cocktails I'd go for vanilla.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Protests are only viable if they scare the authorities - either via massive overwhelming size or serious disobedience and violence. Burning that police van should be celebrated by anyone who supports the protest and not be forced into this stupid conspiracy theory. If that protest was just a small random crowd in Bristol milling about absolutely no one would give a poo poo, because some fires were set and scuffles broke out the protest actually achieved national coverage and success. The government may actually make meaningful change to legislation if it causes scenes like that where control is lost.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you don't want to say you would never use nukes (which is the right answer, I suppose their main purpose is international prestige) it's so easy to waffle something like "if the integrity of the British Isles was threatened by a foreign army I would nuke their base" instead of flat out abdicating from the responsibility of the job you are apparently vying for. It's madness that we are considering building more nuclear warheads at the exact moment we are hopefully emerging from an economy shattering pandemic but it's even crazier that Kieth comes off looking like a dolt when opposing it should be an open goal.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's times like this when I wish Corbyn really had been the red menace Stalinist purge machine that his shrieking opponents made him out to be and eviscerated the right of the Labour party instead of being a nice old jam man with some good ideas.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Not adverse to Labour speed running Pasokification so we can get an actual left wing party again. Labour is riddled with traitors.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Priti Patel is as hardline as it gets, it's hard to be outraged by her bullshit as it's so predictable at this point.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and are now banning everyone mentioning her history.

Now on one hand, Reddit... but on the other Reddit users. I seriously doubt discussions of her hiring were careful, considered debate on her situation at the time or the psychology of abuse, do you?
[/quote]
What's the suggestion? That Aimee is a paedophile or paedophile enabler?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

His Divine Shadow posted:

That german stuff really vibes with me and a lot of the culture here too.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The only way Labour makes any headway in the polls is if the Tories make themselves less popular. The Lib Dem style of opposition.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
British Summer Time should be all year round. We only change clocks because of tradition, it's not a system that would ever be implemented now if it didn't already exist.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The only good thing about Kieth is that he is so incompetent that it does provide some amusement. Hope has long left the station so gallows humour will have to do.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah, I know. And it's incredibly sloppy journalism to call herd immunity an "insane theory" when it is, in fact, an extremely solid and well-studied scientific principle. Calling it an insane theory delegitimises it.

It's like if the government proposed dropping people on their heads and someone came out shouting about the "insane theory of gravity"

It's insane policy not theory
In the case of Covid19 it is a pretty insane theory - it's been well documented that people have caught Covid19 twice and the line from research suggests getting Covid19 only gives immunity measured in months. There is also the unknown factor of Covid19 strains resistant to vaccines. The fact is if you let Covid19 run rampant it would slowly kill us all. It would probably reduce life expectancy in this country by a good 10 years at a minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the racism report does bring up an interesting and worthwhile point that poverty, classism and lack of education are the bigger indicators of whether someone will do well in life. It also points out that one of the most disadvantaged groups educationally in the UK are working class white males. Then you look at the north of the country and how it's increasingly voting right wing and tory, the red wall is a thing of the past. That's a generational issue that has been seeded for a long time and is almost impossible to solve in a reasonable amount of time now. If the north starts voting tory how the gently caress is the left wing ever going to win an election in this country? There needs to be some kind of institutional change that doesn't abandon young white working class men to become victims of right wing propaganda.