Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

We dont have bears, courgars, wildcats, coyotes, any large dangerous poo poo. Like the US does.

Its just bugs and heat, and thats generally far out of town.

Yeah its generally inhospitable if you leave the coast and go deep past all the farmland or real far up north, which then becomes kinda tropical eventually.

The Australia is dangerous thing is such a sad overwrought lie

This guy is a spider, do not trust what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

We dont have bears, courgars, wildcats, coyotes, any large dangerous poo poo. Like the US does.

Yeah its generally inhospitable if you leave the coast and go deep past all the farmland or real far up north, which then becomes kinda tropical eventually.

Why in the absolute gently caress would you include coyotes on that list, especially when you have dingos.

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Icochet posted:

My john plant died of flatus

So did Luxemburg

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

Sir, this is a Macca's

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Liker posted:

The fauna in Australia is not content to be universally deadly, now they're starting an internet disinformation campaign.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

wtf bear grylls went all the way to australia to drink this guys piss? during covid??

thats hosed up

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Imo the states got yankees which are quite more dangerous to most people, australians are just annoying.

Both of these counts as fauna.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Yeah he peer pressured Les Stroud into drinking the piss too

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Australia has that rear end-burrowing beetle that hangs from your taint and swears that it won't burrow in your rear end, cmon guy i'll just hang from your taint for a few weeks, just until i find my own place. But as soon as you're distracted it burrows in your rear end and your insurance won't cover the extraction because you let it hang from your taint

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Halloween Liker posted:

Well don't ignore the ocean. The creatures that dwell off the coasts of Australia are so deadly that not even Steve Irwin himself could escape their treachery.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Imagine genuinely losing your child to wild animals and having the pre-eminent comedy TV show at the time make fun of you for it

I think the furor from North Americans about Australian wildlife is because it's mostly relatively small and venomous. I mean, we've got black widow and recluse spiders and several varieties of venomous snake too, but we largely don't have to shake out our shoes before we put them on, or check the shitter for bitey friends. Meanwhile our carnivorous megafauna pretty much prefers to stay away from the cities where most people live. Plenty of people will go their entire life without knowing anyone who's even seen a bear or a cougar outside the zoo.

Coyotes will live in a city no problem, but they'll go for your cat long before they'll go for your kid, and there's been precisely one adult on the entire continent that we know to have died by coyote. If a bear or cougar walks into my city it makes the news. Wolves are real shy, they don't do cities at all. I don't know what it's like in South America but I learned last year that jaguars are the big cat least likely to attack humans, it's like they just didn't evolve around us long enough to see us as prey like the old world big cats. (Not an issue cougars have, though... but technically they're not big cats, they're the biggest small cat.)

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

I’m not saying Australia is particularly dangerous just that it’s mostly wilderness which it totally is. The populated areas of oz are a tiny strip around the edge. The middle is just bush and desert

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gasmask posted:

The middle is just bush and desert

Turn your monitor on and put some clothes on

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
“Nah mate it’s not fair to say Australia is a vast featureless wilderness. Why, around here we’ve got Wogga Wogga, Berniestoun, and Bigfoot Station. That’s a total population of over 70 people right there, mate.”

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

"We have great white sharks and crocodiles, plus some Aussie-exclusive smaller critters that will sting or bite you with extremely painful and lethal venom, but we're totes not as dangerous as the US or Europe I swear" - a blue-ringed octopus or box jellyfish probably

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

This guy is a spider, do not trust what he says.

Nah he's one of them trees that make you kill yourself.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
When was the last time a wolf stole your baby though

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If people dressed as wolves count, Tuesday

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

Why in the absolute gently caress would you include coyotes on that list, especially when you have dingos.

They only eat babies left unattended in tents.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Admittedly the US is more dangerous because of the guns. But if that were the same everywhere, the roos would be armed and that’s game over

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Good for him.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I saw his book in a shop once, I think it was pretty much just simple step by step instructions for building stuff with screens from his videos as guides. I tried to buy it later and I could never find it anywhere.

Anyway he lives in far North Queensland which really is like, 99% inhospitable wilderness full of horrible poo poo that wants to kill you so I dunno why that other dude's complaining.
But it's nice cos you at least know there's no giant crocodiles when you're in the rainforest.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 6, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

you think he does a Neolithic version of whatever a bush doof is

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Further update: https://www.reddit.com/r/PrimitiveTechnology/comments/lfsq04/a_new_update_on_primitive_technology_and_johns/

Sounds unlikely the show is going ahead.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
People sort of lost interest once he single handily teched into the bronze age

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

It is full of Australians, however.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I’m all for the “Australia is full of dangerous animals” stereotype, it helps keep the Americans out

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Halloween Liker posted:

Please stop this

cry more

yes your blistering hot, comically sparsely populated, absurdly vast wilderness is not dangerous at all, it takes like at least a few hours to die on a summers morning

naem
May 29, 2011

Icochet posted:

Australia has that rear end-burrowing beetle that hangs from your taint and swears that it won't burrow in your rear end, cmon guy i'll just hang from your taint for a few weeks, just until i find my own place. But as soon as you're distracted it burrows in your rear end and your insurance won't cover the extraction because you let it hang from your taint

ciggy butt braain ciggy butt braaaiiin

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Visible Stink posted:

I’m all for the “Australia is full of dangerous animals” stereotype, it helps keep the Americans out

But now how de we keep Australians out of places like Bali?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Icochet posted:

I thought scott morrison was popular down there.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

PinheadSlim posted:

But now how de we keep Australians out of places like Bali?

Put cannabis in their surfboard bags at the airport?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I thought it was the 9000 miles (15000 km), much of it ocean, that was keeping me out of Australia. I'm not a strong swimmer.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Buncha drongos itt

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

whatever as long as he remains shirtless during the tv show

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

do you think prim tech guy has some super messed up voice and that's why he avoids making any sounds in his videos? i bet he sounds like a even worse gilbert godfried. that's probably why they make him live alone in the bush.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How much does it cost to buy a hectare of australian death-forest that I can play Survivorman in to my heart's content?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I think you just have to claim it by killing whoever owns it or the largest pile of dingo spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

you have to trick the current owner into lending you his cig lighter