Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I knew he was a baseball fan, but I never thought I'd see Jesse Thorn quoted in the MLB thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Going to eBay right now to buy this.

EDIT: I was joking but it turns out they're worth $2 so one is now on the way to me.

I collect silly baseball cards so I did the same.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

the only full set of cards I ever had was 1989 fleer, infamous for this card (the error version was not in my box, sadly)

This is one of the cards that piqued my interest in silly baseball cards and I was stoked when I found someone selling one for like $7

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

last year, mlb extra innings was basically just mlb.tv. like, they just put the mlb.tv feed of whatever game on the right channel.

is that how it's always been? i really was hoping to get the local broadcast via mlb extra innings. but if it's just a more expensive version of mlb.tv, why bother?

Aren't the MLB.tv streams the local ones?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

saintonan posted:

Costco and Vaporwhale? These are real people?

And someone named "danger"?!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's baseball today!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Got a meeting scheduled directly over the start of the game :suicide:

I had meetings all afternoon so I'm just now getting to watch the Phillies.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

Players travel across the country for work, passing through airports, hotels, and sports stadiums full of fans, workers, etc. They aren't quarantining in any meaningful sense, and its lovely to blame people for catching a highly contagious disease.

Also its news to me that the vaccine is universally available now. I'm still on a waiting list.

It depends on your state I think. Colorado just opened up to general public recently(or maybe next Monday? all I know is that I'm getting micro-chipped vaccinated on Tuesday)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

For the reasons of not wanting that poo poo in my neighborhood, I have to disagree. Any other year I'd be down. I mean, not last year either, but you get me.

It's bad enough now. Wife said she saw literally dozens of unmasked yahoos going past the apartment. I am not amused, gently caress you Rickettses.

I don't believe you live in wrigleyville if you think the ASG will bring more bozos to the neighborhood than TBOX or some other dumb event that happens every year.

(I used to work at the Binny's on Clark and HATED all those events that brought more drunk idiots to the area)

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 2, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

drat I didn't get any PMs

maybe if I say the chop is racist as gently caress and Chipper is a stupid name for an adult man

Chipper may be a bad name for a random person, but it's a great baseball name

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/hbryant42/status/1378123941835911168?s=19

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1378333941946404870

MLB is going to lose a lot of money over this. I wonder if Manfred knew what he was doing when he made the decision. It's possible he didn't and he's just an idiot which I think is more likely than that he was actually doing something morally courageous that he knew was going to cost him money.

I'd be happy to never hear about that man again

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's also the unfortunate fact that corporations are the ones that our congresspeople listen to so hopefully them not wanting to be associated with garbage voter suppression means they'll lobby to fix it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Can I get more news and fewer views please?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Did you hear about the MLB moving the ASG out of Georgia due to a law blatantly meant to suppress black voter turnout?

Sure did but I don't want to hear a bunch of lovely opinions about it. (the ones that disagree with me are the lovely ones obviously)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bring back retro classic, the new Texans stadium looks like a loving costco

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Just start with the assumption that all your favorite players are chuds until they prove you wrong and you'll never be disappointed

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh cool, the Angels game is blacked out on MLB.tv for some reason. Way to go MLB

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

fawning deference posted:

I am on Google Fi as well and have no idea why more people aren't on it. It's 100% flexible, it's easily the cheapest provider, and the technical support is amazing - you basically never to call and listen to robot voices ever again and they solve your problems on the spot. No contracts at all.

I was about to quote this and talk about the pricing, but after looking it up the price seems to have dropped and it would save me $40/mo to switch; I'll definitely look into this.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

jng2058 posted:

It's a full 162 game season. That's the definition of "it's a marathon, not a sprint." You know how football coaches like to break down the season into quarters? By that standard, we're a minute and thirty seconds into the game. Plenty of time for things to improve, yet.

This is 100% correct....

On the other hand the Phillies are undefeated and on-track for 162-0 and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

Not accepting cash is completely illegal . Maybe there is a Covid exemption idk

This isn't true

https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

That's actually the little hot dog vendor at the Home Depot exit.

If you're talking about the one on North, that place rocks.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

euphronius posted:

I’m just a baseball fan my currency theories are worthless ! I am sorry

You expect me to read the thread and not :justpost:?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How hard will it be to get tickets to this? I've never been to one and would love to take my kid if at all possible

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

by then, i think the best strategy would be to wait for the colorado rockies to sell off enough of their players that you can make the 26 man roster.

I just bought a new glove so I think I'm ready for the show

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How could you not include the time when he Rougned up Bautista?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bewbies posted:

its in the center of the dam picture

I meant it more as "of course they included it! How could you not!"

It was mostly an excuse to make a "Rougned" pun

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If he comes back in 10 days and can't play then he gets the surgery then. I don't see the big issue.

The issue is that he might come back in 10 days and gets MORE hurt that he currently is

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Yes but unless he can injure himself to the point where the surgery won't fix it, there doesn't seem like much of a downside.

When you're injured you end up compensating with other muscles so he could get hurt elsewhere.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

I don't get why you wouldn't want to share unless you were being coy about not getting it. Like who cares if people know you got the vaccine that's not really sensitive private medical information.

Maybe he _wants_ the vaccine but has a private medical condition that prevents him from getting one? I don't care if this ONE PERSON gets the jab, but hopefully his PSA means that whoever can get microchipped vaccinated does.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

more falafel please posted:

Wow Bao isn't good, but it's fine, the worst part about it is the tagline of "Hot Asian Buns"

I took me far too long to realize that you and Poque were saying "Wow Bao is bad " as in the restaurant called "Wow Bao" is bad and not "Wow, bao is bad".

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I also think the game should be played like it was in 1970 so ymmv. I'm going to watch whatever they change so it's all internet posturing.

But why 1970? That seems arbitrary; especially since you're making claims about rules staying the same for 160 years (they haven't as other people pointed out)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pre-DH, good mix of big fat Stargell and Boog Powell types who hammered dingers and agile guys like Bert Campaneris who stole bases.

Ah, so you admit that it's just nostalgia and not objectively better or anything.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Meanwhile, here is the actual issue: strikeouts

edit: further context showing all components of TTO

What happened in 1980-ish?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

If you look at the K-only graph you can see that K% was also rising steadily from about 1930 till 1965-ish.

My theory is that the downward trend from the mid-60's till 1980 was primarily the result of the expansion era (talent pool dilution has favored hitting generally), plus the lowered mound in 1969 and the addition of the DH in 1973.
Yes, and we even know why. Pitchers are specifically able to leverage modern technology to train for increased velocity and to tailor their spin planes/location/sequencing to be more effective.

The explosion of data in the past 5-10 years has been a bigger boon to pitchers than hitters, in aggregate.

Thanks!

Where are you getting these charts?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

The stadium, the Albies contract, the official response to the All Star Game move, hearing The Chop on TV again....

I've been a lifelong Braves fan but I'm out. I never ever thought I'd switch teams but as soon as I saw the poster above me announce they were through with the Braves something clicked and suddenly I was like Yeah gently caress this team.

I'm still trying to process the ramifications of my decision, but I feel like a great loving weight has been lifted. Thanks for complaining enough about my lovely team to make a difference guys.

Are you done with baseball or just the braves?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

Hmm yeah maybe gently caress the Mets

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

N: Aaron Nola

V: Rules