Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Framber Valdez apparently fractured his ring finger on his pitching hand fielding a ball yesterday, uh, somehow? Not really clear from this clip but it must have bounced into his hand hard.

https://twitter.com/adams_at/status/1367177905500004355

Anyway apparently he could end up missing the entire season because of it, the human body is dumb:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1367479249905602561

Well uhhhhh gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Should have written MLG RIP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

According to the study, White Sox fans drink an average of 4.2 drinks per game and spend about $46, placing them in the No. 1 spot of the "Booziest Baseball Fans" list.

So people are paying on average $10.95 a drink, sounds cheap for a modern sporting event.

That number doesn't seem so bad if you round it in with nickel beer night!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've never purchased enough overpriced stadium beer to get shitfaced but I've absolutely arrived at the game already there

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cheering for a team that has zero domestic abusers on it feels pretty dang good

Don't ask me about the Rockets (though they did release Boogie)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm reading that Forrest Whitley is still dealing with arm soreness which may be why the Astros went out to get Odorizzi

and there it is

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1368602809785008129

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wow someone buy that dude a better mic

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Get rid of defense, set up targets batters have to hit else it's an automatic out

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just practice dropping bunts to literally anywhere on the left side of the infield hard enough to get it past the pitcher

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's what he gets for holding a can. if he'd had a cup he could have done the ol' catch it in the cup and chug manuever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sweatpants Baby posted:

Mariners games are great because you can just buy the cheapest possible tickets and then sit anywhere.

A friend of mine used to print out his nosebleed e-ticket with the seat number altered but the same barcode so he could sit in the lower sections but nearly got caught once and stopped because he was afraid of being banned from the stadium

Obviously this is only possible during sparsely attended games

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

more falafel please posted:

At White Sox games they just close the upper deck when attendance is low and tell you to sit wherever you want if you have an upper deck seat.

The Astros could have a Marlins level of attendance and they'd still check your ticket every time you try to go to the field level seats

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time to shoot that shot

https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1370512611121405955
https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1370516217128050688
https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1370521721988472832

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

They couldn't stand being so thoroughly owned by Jose Canseco.

another relationship saved by canseco, what a hero

e:

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1370787834362277897

Huh, never knew this happened. Man I wouldn't want to be the pitcher who let a 59 year old non-player run a full count before striking out

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 13, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There's no need to trade Acuna to save money they locked him in dirt cheap

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also have that extremely tiny Albies contract

I wonder if there comes a point where that makes it harder to sign international players

Or maybe the owners will get their way and there'll be an international draft

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

the American People deserve a Jose Altuve bounceback season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

How can we get more baseball fans? Hold on, they're doing something fun, we need to put a stop to it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

we had a beer league softball game that ended in a tie and the umps left but we just decided to keep playing so i was able to illegally bat out of order and hit a walkoff dinger that we decided to count as our only win of the season.

every time I think you can't get any cooler you prove me wrong

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gotta be honest -- and this is just cause, as you probably know, the pandemic kinda tightened things up for all of us -- personally I would not pay $15Gs for the autograph of Randal Grichuk or Tyler Matzek, at least not until I get the chance to move some money around.

Seems like a better use of money than paying tens of thousands of dollars to own a jpeg

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dinosaurs! posted:

https://www.sporcle.com/games/75zxcvbnm/thom-brennamans-apology

I put up a shameful 55%. Clearly haven’t actually heard it that many times.

Seems nearly impossible to 100% the first time since it treats four-nothing as a single word

e: lol

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1371593985093951489

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 15, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

phew

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1372314737292230660

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

From The Athletic

quote:

“It’s going to sound crazy, but I’ve been fighting something at the plate for like the last year, year and a half,” Trout said. “Starting this year, I just kind of figured out what I was doing. Just getting back to where I can go up there and feel comfortable.

“People won’t get it, but if I go in the box, or if I go in the cage and I take a swing, I know it’s my swing. If I’m in there and something little feels off, I know it’s not right. I was talking to my hitting coaches about this. It’s crazy, people don’t see this, either. I have two different swings. In the cage, I don’t have a leg kick. I don’t know why. And when I try to do a leg kick in the cage, it feels weird. And then in the game, I have a straight leg kick. It’s pretty crazy.

“I can do all these drills in the cage and it feels fine, it feels right. Then I get in a game, I add a leg kick and it’s not right. It’s kind of like a battle. I’ve kind of figured out some stuff in the last few days that really I’ve been struggling with the last year, especially last year, just fighting it.”

That explains his down year of a .993 OPS!

jesus christ

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

those look like poo poo

that's straight out of the 90s

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

MLB C/V Marpril: Someone jerked off on those hats

We already have that thread title in a way

e: welp should have finished reading the rest of the posts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I question that decision since it could potentially cost him his job but it's still funny

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Will I be able to get a PS5 by the weed day I wonder

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

hosed up that as soon as the Dodgers give Bauer a bunch of money the league uses science against him to turn him back into his old league average self

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1374831929531494402

Are you serious Astros? This is practically insulting

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That's like what you offer him when you're buying out multiple arb years and maybe even a pre-arb year and hoping he bites, not when he's a free agent to be after the season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bregor posted:

Pay all players all the time, but also maybe let’s see how he does in a non-COVID, non-trash can year

His second best year was 2019 after the banging had stopped

He was also excellent in 2015 and 2016. The covid hellyear was one of his two bad years, the other being 2018. Lots of injuries though, that's the big knock

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gio Gonzalez decided to retire today

Covid claims a career :smith:

The two seasons prior to the hell year he was pretty good

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Man I'm sure enjoying watching Astros fans fall over themselves to explain why 6/120 is a great offer for Correa and if anything it's overpaying him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Other than the weird back thing Correa's injury history is just weird poo poo. Like tearing a thumb ligament on a catcher's shinguard on a slide. Or breaking his leg on another slide

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

blossommirage posted:

Moving the ASG out of Atlanta would probably piss off a ton of Braves fans, and I'm all for it.

Does anyone actually care about the ASG these days though?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

this organization is a loving joke

I assume you're referring to MLB in general if you mean because of service time fuckery

mcmagic posted:

It's really unbelievable how horrible a job the Yankees as an organization do at keeping their players healthy.

How exactly is the org responsible for a meniscus tear

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The MLB will never let the Pirates move

That stadium being unused would be a tragedy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Lindor caved

Wouldn't call that caving

Meanwhile since no deal has been done Correa is all but guaranteed to be playing in another uniform next season for a fanbase that suddenly has plenty of excuses for the trash cans

Ogmius815 posted:

I must be an idiot because looking at Francisco Lindor’s offensive numbers I don’t see what makes him worth such an astronomical amount of money. I get that he plays a premium position (or rather THE premium position) but he looks to me like a ++starter, not the perennial MVP candidate implied by that deal.

What am I missing?

A top flight defensive SS who hits for pretty good average and for power doesn't grow on trees

Not counting the covid hellyear anyway

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 1, 2021

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

He wanted $400M and settled for $320M. Do I still think that's an incredible deal for him? Yes. Does that still constitute him caving from his publicly staked out position? Also yes.

He wanted two more years for roughly the same AAV which he was never going to get in the offseason

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Opening day has arrived with no deal in place for Carlos Correa, the only offer being an insulting 6/120. So he hits free agency going into 2022 when the Astros will have approximately an $80m payroll and could easily afford to give him his market value since he said he wouldn't discuss an extension during the season

The tank is back baby