Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

more falafel please posted:

I've been staring out the window and waiting for spring for far, far too long at this point. I'm going to be able to go back to Wrigley Field and see the grass and hear whoever the new PA announcer is and whoever the new organist is and see whatever lefty reliever with a 5.64 ERA they trade Javy for at the deadline blow a lead in the 8th, and go to Nisei and drink about it. I'm in.

I'm gonna watch me the poo poo out of some Cubs baseball tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's Coomer Season

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/stevanacohen2/status/1377462943919566848?s=21

Lol look at this shitkicker

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's Coomer Season

Pat and Ron over the TV feed. Never got into JD and new guy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it's not boog's fault but he sounds like he's doing an impression of a baseball announcer, it drives me nuts every time i would catch a game on ESPN radio and it freaks me the gently caress out when i turn on a sox radio broadcast and get len kasper.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

it's not boog's fault but he sounds like he's doing an impression of a baseball announcer, it drives me nuts every time i would catch a game on ESPN radio and it freaks me the gently caress out when i turn on a sox radio broadcast and get len kasper.

Unpopular opinion time:

I never really cared for Len's announcing and really haven't listened to Cubs TV announcers since Chip Caray left.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
This is going to be the best Phillies team in 10 years and they're going to be on the couch in October unless the postseason expands.

Baseball, I'm ready to be hurt again.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I love Opening Day for many reasons, mostly because the baseball hasn't actually started yet and thus the hurt hasn't either, but also because it's the day when all the non-injured ace pitchers and wannabe aces are out on the mound.

What other day do you get Ryu vs. Cole, de Grom vs. Scherzer, Fried vs. Nola, and Darvish vs. Bumgarner (ok he used to be, still has name recognition), plus of course others like Kershaw out there too? Good day.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does anyone know when Dee Gordon decided to start officially going by Dee Strange-Gordon again? He came up in the minors under that name but I believe played almost all of his MLB career just under Dee Gordon, but all of a sudden I notice that MLB sites have him listed under the longer name again.

He did it during his time in the Mariners

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, the best broadcast team in Chicago is Bonetti and Stone. :colbert:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

jng2058 posted:

I do admit I miss Steve Stone in the booth.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

jng2058 posted:

no one's disputing that, benetti is the best in the business

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does anyone know when Dee Gordon decided to start officially going by Dee Strange-Gordon again? He came up in the minors under that name but I believe played almost all of his MLB career just under Dee Gordon, but all of a sudden I notice that MLB sites have him listed under the longer name again.

Last year: https://www.distractify.com/p/why-did-dee-gordon-change-his-name he did it because Strange is his mom's last name who was murdered by an abusive boyfriend :(

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

jng2058 posted:

The difference between Benetti/Stone and Hawk/Stone is night and day. Benetti's the best.

I've liked Boog fine on ESPN broadcasts so I'm optimistic. Might listen to more games on the radio though. Pat is an old man who doesn't understand OPS or the fact that you can buy tickets secondhand, but he's got one of the best voices and flows in the business.

Does anyone know if broadcasters are traveling with the team? It was obvious that they hated broadcasting off a monitor half the time.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I must be an idiot because looking at Francisco Lindor’s offensive numbers I don’t see what makes him worth such an astronomical amount of money. I get that he plays a premium position (or rather THE premium position) but he looks to me like a ++starter, not the perennial MVP candidate implied by that deal.

What am I missing?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ogmius815 posted:

I must be an idiot because looking at Francisco Lindor’s offensive numbers I don’t see what makes him worth such an astronomical amount of money. I get that he plays a premium position (or rather THE premium position) but he looks to me like a ++starter, not the perennial MVP candidate implied by that deal.

What am I missing?

Nothing.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Handing out money like we’re the Yankees. I like it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

grats davecrazy

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ogmius815 posted:

What am I missing?

A smile worth 100m on its own

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

Lindor caved

Wouldn't call that caving

Meanwhile since no deal has been done Correa is all but guaranteed to be playing in another uniform next season for a fanbase that suddenly has plenty of excuses for the trash cans

Ogmius815 posted:

What am I missing?

A top flight defensive SS who hits for pretty good average and for power doesn't grow on trees

Not counting the covid hellyear anyway

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 1, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ogmius815 posted:

What am I missing?

That's what a ++starter at a premium position with above average defense goes for. If you want to make sure he's going to play for your team for a long time, you have to pay him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hell yeah Frankie

Extremely sad that Lindor will probably never again wear the uniform of a team I care about, but at least he’s not a Yankee/Card/Dodger.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

That's what a ++starter at a premium position with above average defense goes for. If you want to make sure he's going to play for your team for a long time, you have to pay him

I read that it is the third biggest contract ever. Mike Trout this guy is not.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ogmius815 posted:

I read that it is the third biggest contract ever. Mike Trout this guy is not.

Mike Trout is also comically underpaid

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Lol Angels

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Wouldn't call that caving

He wanted $400M and settled for $320M. Do I still think that's an incredible deal for him? Yes. Does that still constitute him caving from his publicly staked out position? Also yes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

$341m right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

He wanted $400M and settled for $320M. Do I still think that's an incredible deal for him? Yes. Does that still constitute him caving from his publicly staked out position? Also yes.

He wanted two more years for roughly the same AAV which he was never going to get in the offseason

Yeah

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's opening day my dudes

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It's basically the same as the Mets offer accounting for the deferrals.

Lindor's agent doesn't understand present value vs. future value, apparently. Or maybe he does and Lindor was just holding out for "the biggest deal ever for a shortstop" or whatever.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
gently caress yeah Frankie

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The COVID party in Texas isn't till monday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

seiferguy posted:

Last year: https://www.distractify.com/p/why-did-dee-gordon-change-his-name he did it because Strange is his mom's last name who was murdered by an abusive boyfriend :(
Thanks

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

The COVID party in Texas isn't till monday.

It's cool how little everyone in Texas values their lives

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Mike Trout is also comically underpaid

Baseball stars are ridiculously overpaid but this has always been a touchy subject on this forum. Yes they should all be getting real money when they are young and producing. However that doesn't mean they should be grossly overpaid later on. One or two stars cannot effect a baseball game like in basketball. See, Mike Trout. I think most of the extensions are the fair amount for players. The ones signed buying out their arbitration. Also baseball revenue is all over the place, depending on the team.

TL;DR the highest paid players in baseball are comically over paid. However, if someone can show me how Mike Trout adds tens of millions to the Angels bottom line each year, feel free.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

chilihead posted:

TL;DR the highest paid players in baseball are comically over paid. However, if someone can show me how Mike Trout adds tens of millions to the Angels bottom line each year, feel free.

Has there been any other reason to watch the Angels than seeing Mike Trout be good at baseball for the last 8(?) years?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my viewing plans for today are Jays-Yankees, DBacks-Padres, and then fall asleep some time during Nats-Mets

I am extremely hype

Apr 7, 2003

chilihead posted:

Baseball stars are ridiculously overpaid

Just wait until you see what the owners make

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

chilihead posted:

Baseball stars are ridiculously overpaid but this has always been a touchy subject on this forum. Yes they should all be getting real money when they are young and producing. However that doesn't mean they should be grossly overpaid later on. One or two stars cannot effect a baseball game like in basketball. See, Mike Trout. I think most of the extensions are the fair amount for players. The ones signed buying out their arbitration. Also baseball revenue is all over the place, depending on the team.

I dont think the burden is on other people to prove you wrong here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

I'm so loving mad at labor getting paid