Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Until he retired this offseason, the most famous professional baseball player was Tim Tebow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

His name is an anagram for "Northside as kelp".

Thanks, Nisei Lounge Twitter account

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Nobody has a clue at this point. The Nats released Jeffress out of the blue for "personal reasons", Jeffress immediately took to twitter to blame his former agent for "ruining [his] life", and said former agent made a couple response tweets that he hasn't even talked to Jeffress since 2019 - let alone represented him - so he's confused why Jeffress is blaming him for anything.

So who knows :shrug: Jeffress has a history of being kind of a piece of poo poo off the field, and his former agent is also a complete nutter, so either one could be at fault.

It was "personnel" reasons which is way weirder frankly

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dinosaurs! posted:

Curious to hear what other pitchers think. MLB said they were going to de-juice the ball (that they’ve never admitted to juicing) this year, right? Or did I imagine that?

They've said they adjusted the manufacturing process to reduce the COR (bounciness) towards the lower end of the acceptable range and reduce the weight, and there's going to be 10 ballparks using humidors now. They didn't say anything about the seams, but higher seam height = more drag, so that would make sense too.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

took a sporcle quiz to name all cubs opening day starters from 1990, and while i was incredibly proud of a few pulls (mike fontenot, junior lake, carlos pena, ian stewart, and somehow pulling marlon byrd from the deepest recesses of my brain) i was very disappointed to see that i did not remember mark bellhorn, jeff baker, bill mueller, how to spell mark grudzielanek, the fact that i conflated grudz and mark de rosa into the same guy, and forgot about SAS favorite darwin barney. i also completely forgot about the cubs playing the legend of mike olt at third while they hosed with bryant's service time, anyway if you are bored at work i highly recommend taking a sporcle quiz and trying to remember some guys.

Think you got the year wrong, unless you're thinking of Les Lancaster, Lloyd McClendon, and Luis Salazar.

Oh man yeah thanks for the recommendation, I am currently Remembering Some Guys

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

It was all opening day starters from 1990-2020.

Oh, that makes... a lot more sense

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I may hate getting rid of the shift more than the runner on 2nd in extras poo poo, which is really saying something.

I really hate banning the shift. As written it also bans 4-man outfields (although, not 5-man infields) and the Rizzo bunt-charge move.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Seattle looks like it may be the best of the retractable roof parks, but in general retractable roofs look like poo poo, at least Milwaukee and Houston do.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't know if I'm gonna put on this headset again.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

A friend of mine used to print out his nosebleed e-ticket with the seat number altered but the same barcode so he could sit in the lower sections but nearly got caught once and stopped because he was afraid of being banned from the stadium

Obviously this is only possible during sparsely attended games

At White Sox games they just close the upper deck when attendance is low and tell you to sit wherever you want if you have an upper deck seat.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I miss John Jaso. Did he come back to shore yet?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

ScottyJSno posted:

NPB quick update.

This year no extra innings. All games to end after 9 innings. They are also going to finish all games before 9 pm. This is to comply with the current state of emergency in a few prefectures. (The state emergency is slated to end next week.)

~Manfred starts smiling and can't figure out why~

NPB already ended games in ties after 12, I think, so fans are used to it.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ties are fine, especially in a 162-game season where every team in a division plays each other 19 times, and plays every team in the other divisions in the league 7 times. It's not really going to result in more ties in the standings.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My move is usually just to use the TouchTunes app to play Go Cubs Go in St. Louis bars

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Randy Johnson was on Effectively Wild a couple years back and literally only wanted to talk about the fine folks at Kingsford Charcoal and their great grills and charcoal products

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Man, now I just want an interview with Andre Dawson about his funeral home.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chamale posted:

According to Johnson, he gets asked about it "nearly as much", and more often than anyone talks about his Cy Young awards or his perfect game.

There've been 23 perfect games, there's two Cys Young every year, but only once as far as we know has a very tall man just completely obliterated a dove with a 98 mph four seamer with movement from the left hand side

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I could care less about Bryant at this point. I don't think he's ever going to put up the consistent numbers he had in 2015-16, he always seems to have been battling through an injury that's got his mechanics all screwed up, and he's going to cost a lot.

I want Javy, Contreras, and Rizzo to retire as Cubs but it's unlikely that will happen.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

While I'm sure it's service time fuckery, Nico's 2020 ended up mediocre enough where I don't mind him getting more time to hopefully continue mashing against AAA pitching. It REALLY seems to have helped Happ. Almora shoulda had the same thing.

He'll only get to have like 6 games at AAA, right?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Can't decide if that's better than Guaranteed Rate

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Chief McHeath posted:

Great American Ballpark brought to you by Skyline Chili

Make it happen, Reds.

GABP is already named after an insurance company, it just sounds like they named it like a six flags attraction

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Holy poo poo its opening day tomorrow.

Yeah I think I'm traumatized by last year. It doesn't feel like it should be opening day for like 2 months

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Krono99 posted:

Looking to get into an MLB.TV sharing group, am I in the right spot?

There's a thread in coupons & deals:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960688&perpage=40&noseen=1

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've been staring out the window and waiting for spring for far, far too long at this point. I'm going to be able to go back to Wrigley Field and see the grass and hear whoever the new PA announcer is and whoever the new organist is and see whatever lefty reliever with a 5.64 ERA they trade Javy for at the deadline blow a lead in the 8th, and go to Nisei and drink about it. I'm in.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

jng2058 posted:

Eh, the best broadcast team in Chicago is Bonetti and Stone. :colbert:

The difference between Benetti/Stone and Hawk/Stone is night and day. Benetti's the best.

I've liked Boog fine on ESPN broadcasts so I'm optimistic. Might listen to more games on the radio though. Pat is an old man who doesn't understand OPS or the fact that you can buy tickets secondhand, but he's got one of the best voices and flows in the business.

Does anyone know if broadcasters are traveling with the team? It was obvious that they hated broadcasting off a monitor half the time.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ogmius815 posted:

I must be an idiot because looking at Francisco Lindor’s offensive numbers I don’t see what makes him worth such an astronomical amount of money. I get that he plays a premium position (or rather THE premium position) but he looks to me like a ++starter, not the perennial MVP candidate implied by that deal.

What am I missing?

That's what a ++starter at a premium position with above average defense goes for. If you want to make sure he's going to play for your team for a long time, you have to pay him

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ogmius815 posted:

I read that it is the third biggest contract ever. Mike Trout this guy is not.

Mike Trout is also comically underpaid

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

$341m right?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I love day baseball but it's weird that there's just no games on right now.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Speaking of Bote, still lol'ing that Ross and Jed bent over backwards to suck his dick and talk about how he "unanimously" earned the starting 2B job over Nico and it's "his turn" and then... he gets pulled in the 5th of the season opener as part of a double switch and so, uh... *checks notes* ah yes, Eric Sogard and Matt Duffy could get some AB's late in a close game. Definitely feeling that ringing endorsement of the organization's belief in Bote's ability.

Ross pulled him because he had made the last out and the pitcher's spot was up, and they needed to use 17 pitchers to issue that many walks

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

It would be funny if it didn't have a chance to ruin this fun and promising white sox team

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

No Safe Word posted:

Hopefully it's just because you literally can't get it within 90 days of a positive test result. That quote doesn't make it clear that he wouldn't get one, but as mentioned above:

Yeah, it sounded like he was saying "I'm not trying to get it ASAP, because I just had COVID, but other guys should get it"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slimy Hog posted:

If you're talking about the one on North, that place rocks.

Aren't they at every Home Depot? I go to the one on Kimball/Addison all the time. Depot Dogs are great though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

lol get hosed

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

is that the i hit dingers kid from the LLWS a few years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqy1gVzdQ98

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Yeah, it doesn't significantly increase home or road team's winning chance, what it does increase is the chance that the teams will score different amounts of runs in a given inning, which will end the game.

I don't like it, but MLB and the players do so it's probably here to stay.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

Wow Bao is bad

Much like the Cubs

Oddly even knowing that we've only faced lovely batting teams so far, I'm pretty happy about the rotation. Unfortunately all the bats are trash and Krimbel is the only good reliever.

Wow Bao isn't good, but it's fine, the worst part about it is the tagline of "Hot Asian Buns"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Wow, Boog and JD are showing fly ball data that says the average fly ball is going 9 feet less far as it has in recent years through the same time in the season. New ball and humidors are really working it seems like.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Victor Caratini went 13 starts between no-hitters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

League average OPS (100 OPS+) is typically around .750, with a slash of something vaguely like .250/.325/.425. It's much harder to say aaasf darSfffda what a 0 WAR slash line would look like, because it also includes defense and depends on position, but yeah. The idea behind replacement level is that it's the level of player that you can have on your roster tomorrow without giving up significant cash or trade pieces. He's at AAA already, he's available on waivers and is making league minimum, he's someone's 26th man and they'll trade him for a PBTNL. If I had to guess what an average 0 WAR player's slash line was I'd go something like .200/.265/.325, so OPS of .590? But again that depends on baserunning, defense and position