Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

That the Red Sox went from the Benintendi/JBJ/Betts OF in 2018 to... uh... Renfroe/Cordero/Verdugo is one reason why I'm glad I decided to stop giving a gently caress about the Red Sox when they traded Mookie.

Hard same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/tipping_pitches/status/1367533561503506438?s=20

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I got blitzed at a corporate outing to a St Paul Saints game a couple years ago. Everyone got a few free drink tickets and I knew all my teetotalling coworkers to hit up.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Jose Canseco is spilling beans on twitter. Claims McGuire corked every game.

e: https://twitter.com/JoseCanseco/status/1368035338388668417

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Myth Busters did an episode on this and they found corked bats where actually detrimental. Probably why we haven't seen it since Sosa. It makes sense, you're losing barrel mass which is going to have a bigger negative effect for a power hitter than the benefit of swinging slightly faster.

I figured it could also affect the coefficient of restitution of the bat but I have no data. Not that Mythbusters is conclusive but also it's not unheard of for baseball players to do dumb things out of superstition.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

Just practice dropping bunts to literally anywhere on the left side of the infield hard enough to get it past the pitcher

And here I thought "gently caress bunts, hit dingers" was our creed and ethos.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This has serious Tracy Jordan energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gns1wFcQnbc&t=9s

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apparently a dude on the Mets drew 22 pitch walk today and The Defector did an article about it.

https://defector.com/now-here-is-some-baseball-rear end-baseball/

(buy a sub to this awesome employee owned sports/politics site)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Huh, I got a box of my old cards in the mail from my folks recently. Guess I should go through and see if there are any hidden gems. Is there a site that breaks down value by series or something?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

more falafel please posted:

Randy Johnson was on Effectively Wild a couple years back and literally only wanted to talk about the fine folks at Kingsford Charcoal and their great grills and charcoal products

Wade Boggs Carpet World
Wade Boggs Carpet World

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Squall posted:

The Show 20 is down to $5 on PSN right now so it may be worth grabbing it if you've got the itch to play it regardless of whether you decide to get The Show 21 later on.

Does it still have a ton of microtransaction stuff bolted on? Because that was such a turnoff.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Vaporwhale isn't even the fakest sounding whale-based name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Sexwale

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo its opening day tomorrow.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I will give my body to lifeboy

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

It's sorta funny that "It's Up To You" could easily be read as a another way of saying "It's your own personal choice."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Nah I'm on Google Fi, which partially uses T-mobile towers but that probably doesn't count :v:

Hey google fi buddy. And yeah, it doesn't count, I checked. I once accidentally used data to stream a game and it cost me like $15 or something.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Is Fi really better than T-Mobile? I'm paying ~90 a month for unlimited data for two phones and the speeds, at least in the PNW where their HQ is, are bloody fantastic.

My wife and I pay $40-60/month combined with Google Fi. You just need to plan ahead a little to avoid DLing podcasts without wifi and such. The coverage is great and it all works international.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The American League discovers pitchers hitting, collectively loses their minds

There's a difference between pitchers batting and pitchers hitting.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Oh ... kay?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

elentar posted:

there's a lot wrong there but honestly the worst thing might be matching all the bold stuff with the blandest pants possible

Verdugo looks too much like Craig Kimbrel.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I wonder who eats all the sunk costs like this

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

Shag Crawford was an ump that had a long career in the NL, and apparently would hug catchers.

I bet he used to wrestle.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rod Beck didn't die, he just found the hot tub time machine and was the first person to realize its powered by cocaine.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Apparently the Red Sox travel with this industrial laundry conveyer and whenever someone hits a home run they get a free ride in it around the dugout. :3: It was hard to snap a good shot but this was after Devers' dong.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Mustached Demon posted:

Is this a new thing? I feel like totems like this or the Cubs waffle iron are newish. Footballs had them for a few years. We need more of these honestly.

Not sure, it just reminded me of the "dudes having fun together" atmosphere that I remember from the good teams. Like the bullpen band and rubbing Adrian Beltre's head.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

This poo poo rules, as does Christian Vasquez

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
According to the broadcast the Red Sox are the first team to start a season being swept and following with back to back sweeps.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
New Defector article up in which a new accomplishment is invented: The Saint Cycle. In a display of pure selflessness, the batter must walk, HBP, sac bunt, sac fly, and hit into a "productive out."

ESB identified 3 instances of this happening, including this dapper dude:

(Sub to The Defector if you haven't already and can afford it.)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Still worth it for 2016.

:smugdon:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Dinger dong

https://twitter.com/redsoxstats/status/1382080675474518024

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/mlb_cc/status/1382901363747786754

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

howe_sam posted:

Oh yeah, definitely, sorry, I meant to include that, he's a gently caress face for sure.

Wait why is Verdugo a piece of poo poo?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

bleh, yeah, ok

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

That video box loving rules

It does but it also reminds me of when Jeb Bush spend tons of campaign money sending auto-playing video thingies to potential voters in New Hampshire.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Its Rinaldo posted:

When graduating from high school meant something I think they were more important. I don't know anybody who gets a college ring even anymore

I remember the scam "honors" fraternity trying to get me to buy a ring and I noped right out of there.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Catcher's complete and utter apathy

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone know of a way to disable the live score on MLB.TV broadcasts? I tend to pause or load up late and get spoiled.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

If you're watching on a browser under settings in the top right.

Much obliged, thanks.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1387060785147375616

This is how close I am to being officially done with Baseball.

This owns. MLB needs an ABA equivalent to do fun poo poo like this and see how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

These changes are all stupid gimmicks that don't even come close to getting at the things that suck about baseball. Just a waste of everyone's time.

The things that suck about baseball are austere appeals to tradition and skepticism/hostility toward fun. This is the opposite of that.