Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
adaptive difficulty. if i lose a level getting shotgunned down, then i want to retry the level again and get my revenge, i dont want the shotgun man to turn into a brainless walking target with a gun designed to itch me. gently caress you, cruelty squad, and gently caress resident evil 4 for starting this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fucker posted:

adaptive difficulty. if i lose a level getting shotgunned down, then i want to retry the level again and get my revenge, i dont want the shotgun man to turn into a brainless walking target with a gun designed to itch me. gently caress you, cruelty squad, and gently caress resident evil 4 for starting this poo poo.

The original spyro 3 had that, and as far as I can remember the only thing it changed was getting put on easy mode made it impossible to 100% one level.

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

When you enter a new area with the move button held down and the camera flips 180 degrees making you walk back out

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fucker posted:

max payne had it well before resident evil 4

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Frenz posted:

When you enter a new area with the move button held down and the camera flips 180 degrees making you walk back out

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Fucker posted:

FF14 at least doesn't change the difficulty automatically, but the first time I failed a quest and got the prompt to choose between Normal, Easy, and Very Easy on my next try, I felt insulted by the game. WHY DONCHA TRY IT IN "DIAPER BABY" MODE NEXT TIME, CHAMP

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Games where you can make melee or close combat builds that put enemies in areas you can reach so you have to plink at them with a sidearm you're not specced for or whatever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bosses that just try to push you into pits instead of fighting you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Frenz posted:

lol yeah

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wait RE4 had adaptive difficulty?

Also lol Dark Souls 2 has that where if you die enough times in an area more and more enemies wont respawn.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fucker posted:

Max Payne's adaptive difficulty was the funniest because iirc if you just quickloaded instead of dying and loading, you never really counted as having "died" so the adaptive difficulty got increasingly insane, culminating in wearing out the F9 key while being gunned down by battalions of invincible supersoldiers

I wouldn't say that's exactly what Cruelty Squad does though, it just shifts world states more than anything and it's eventually trivial to manipulative them

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CyberPingu posted:

Wait RE4 had adaptive difficulty?

Also lol Dark Souls 2 has that where if you die enough times in an area more and more enemies wont respawn.

I guess you could say it's adaptive difficulty but it actually makes the game harder since enemies are where resources come from. They only respawn 7 times or something unless you bonfire ascetic or have covenant of champions on. Maybe there's people out there who suck so bad they only got past that first ambush courtyard in forest of fallen giants because they killed 2 of the like 12 hollows and died a million times in a row lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wasnt Re4 kind of similar? Less enemies if you were bad at the game so you were always running out of ammo, but if you were doming everything in sight, you had ammo coming out of your ears.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wasnt Re4 kind of similar? Less enemies if you were bad at the game so you were always running out of ammo, but if you were doming everything in sight, you had ammo coming out of your ears.

i guess but I never ran past any enemies in re4 so I never noticed lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Max Payne's adaptive difficulty was the funniest because iirc if you just quickloaded instead of dying and loading, you never really counted as having "died" so the adaptive difficulty got increasingly insane, culminating in wearing out the F9 key while being gunned down by battalions of invincible supersoldiers

I wouldn't say that's exactly what Cruelty Squad does though, it just shifts world states more than anything and it's eventually trivial to manipulative them

it only really is a problem in the last level where youre facing all the guards with m4s and long hallways, and then you can replay with the new unlocked hard difficulty which keeps the game permanently in that state

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

I guess you could say it's adaptive difficulty but it actually makes the game harder since enemies are where resources come from. They only respawn 7 times or something unless you bonfire ascetic or have covenant of champions on. Maybe there's people out there who suck so bad they only got past that first ambush courtyard in forest of fallen giants because they killed 2 of the like 12 hollows and died a million times in a row lol.

I think the only time I ever saw that was in the run up to Smelter Demon

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Smelter, Alonne, Smelter but blue, and leagues of assassins I farmed for their awesome set and weapons

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
rpgs/jrpgs where its game over if the hero goes down in combat. consider it pure bullshit, give me a chance for a revive

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nutmeg posted:

rpgs/jrpgs where its game over if the hero goes down in combat. consider it pure bullshit, give me a chance for a revive

This, but especially when enemies have instant-death spells

The old squad based shooters that I don’t think they make too much any more were pretty bad about it too, a lot of games would have squad mates that could revive each other if they went down but apparently not you if you did.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

final level was crawling with loving sniper-shotgunners by the end :mad:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

enemies do half-damage when you don't have divine light, so there's definitely some difficulty scaling as your, uh, state changes.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im 99.99% positive that they also turn into dumbasses on the lower states. they both take way more time to detect you and are more likely to just go around left to right instead of getting in front of you and shooting

its fkn bs and should be illegal

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

This, but especially when enemies have instant-death spells

The old squad based shooters that I don’t think they make too much any more were pretty bad about it too, a lot of games would have squad mates that could revive each other if they went down but apparently not you if you did.

in the newer gears games if you go down your ai squadmate will dart to you to revive you immediately and it just feels wrong imo. like if I was playing with a friend theyd do the same, but when its AI its the game deciding youre immortal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

it only really is a problem in the last level where youre facing all the guards with m4s and long hallways, and then you can replay with the new unlocked hard difficulty which keeps the game permanently in that state

yeah I have vivid memories of the lady going "what's stopping you, he's only one man" and 50 incredibly armoured men immediate burst into the room and gunned me down instantly, like they went "oh, huh, good point"

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
EULA agreements on booting the game for the first time that make you manually scroll all the way down using a slow as poo poo scrollbar.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nutmeg posted:

for some reason this bothers me even more when it's specific to a part of the game. I may as well start doing the kefka laugh with how much I hate Bannon from ff6

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WombatCyborg posted:

EULA agreements on booting the game for the first time that make you manually scroll all the way down using a slow as poo poo scrollbar.

i ran into this last night and it had me butt mad.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah I have vivid memories of the lady going "what's stopping you, he's only one man" and 50 incredibly armoured men immediate burst into the room and gunned me down instantly, like they went "oh, huh, good point"

this discussion brought back playing the foundry level and the commando guys took something like a full desert eagle clip to the head to go down. collective trauma of max paynes adaptive difficulty...

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

on the higher end of the scale, re4 does stuff like put crossbow shooters in places you can't reach, giving bosses more health, and giving dudes shields or helmets or instant-kill plagas
all stuff that makes it harder without also bumping up the drops

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It's weird. I did a run on Professional recently and it's actually insane how much ammo and money you get in that game. I wasn't even being particularly conservative with my ammo and was trying to kill everything I came across and I never felt like I was going to run out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

It's weird. I did a run on Professional recently and it's actually insane how much ammo and money you get in that game. I wasn't even being particularly conservative with my ammo and was trying to kill everything I came across and I never felt like I was going to run out.

theres a bit of rng, thereve been times where after the novistadores section on pro I was completely empty on everything. having the TMP in your inventory definitely fucks up the entire game, the weapon itself is bonkers and enemies start dropping full clips for it half the time. pro mode also gives you like 2-3x money cause it wants you to be as upgraded as possible to deal with high enemy hp

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

when you're doing a puzzle and taking a little bit to think about it, and then the game starts automatically giving you really obvious clues because it assumes you're stuck, ruining the puzzle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Trillhouse posted:

when you're doing a puzzle and taking a little bit to think about it, and then the game starts automatically giving you really obvious clues because it assumes you're stuck, ruining the puzzle.

yup, hate this

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
sometimes ive not even started the puzzle yet. let me look around the environment a bit. gently caress.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
[checking the room for secrets/easter-eggs] "there's got to be a way to get that door open! I wonder if those control panels will help."

[squat-walking under every desk] "there MUST be some way to open it. maybe it's the control panels. I bet the door lock is connected to one of those control panels."

[trying to jump on the lights] "if I use the control panels, I should be able to open the door. I should check the control panels. I should see if the control panels can open it."

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Trillhouse posted:

haha drat what he do

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Cubone posted:

[checking the room for secrets/easter-eggs] "there's got to be a way to get that door open! I wonder if those control panels will help."

[squat-walking under every desk] "there MUST be some way to open it. maybe it's the control panels. I bet the door lock is connected to one of those control panels."

[trying to jump on the lights] "if I use the control panels, I should be able to open the door. I should check the control panels. I should see if the control panels can open it."

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cubone posted:

haha drat what he do

He knows what he did.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cubone posted:

gettin an aneurysm reading this lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cubone posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cubone posted:

haha drat what he do

I really appreciate Bolverkur’s lust for noob blood while I’m not able to keep as much of an eye on the forums as usual :hai: