Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

I think FF7R let you analyze everything in the battle at once maybe after an upgrade or something. but pretty early into the game either way.

Yeah if you level up the assess materia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

loadscreens with the spinning circle instead of a loading bar

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

in modern 1p games i should be able to save anywhere at any time and be dropped right back there when i load

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

british accents, in text form, make me mad. sorry yangus

The accents in recent dq games piss me off. Just translate the drat game normally

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

Graphics settings for pc games not being in a separate executable and games defaulting to fullscreen.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

when you can press a button to skip a dialogue line – except when suddenly, you can't.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

when you’re hitting the button twice to speed up the text and a choice comes up and you select the first one without reading them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

when you’re hitting the button twice to speed up the text and a choice comes up and you select the first one without reading them.

gently caress I hate this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

b_d posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Someone's already mentioned long tutorials but bonus points for tutorials that explain stuff you've already clearly been doing.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

A noise / chime to remind you that you are nearly dead - see Links Awakening

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

When you go through the game's encyclopedia to find new entries:

1. There's no option to jump to the new entries.

2. As soon as you scroll onto the new entry, the new icon disappears, so if you're going quickly, it thinks you've read the entry and now it looks like the other 800 old ones.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

A noise / chime to remind you that you are nearly dead - see Links Awakening

Pokémon Black/White incorporating the series’ usual low-HP chime into the battle music instead of it being a separate alarm blaring over everything else is one of the best ideas a video game has ever had.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

all modern game deisgn trends and videogames made in the past 20 years op. goodbye

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

lmao

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Multiplayer games with really short round times. Like you spend a minute matchmaking, another minute for everyone to pick their characters or loadouts or cars or whatever, another 30 seconds to load the map, then the game itself is 5 minutes.

Then you start the process over again

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

b_d posted:

It's this, but when that first option is to repeat the entire thing over again.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
When you don't know which is the side path and which is the main path

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Plebian Parasite posted:

Someone's already mentioned long tutorials but bonus points for tutorials that explain stuff you've already clearly been doing.

Especially when the game calls you out for doing it early, but still gives you the full tutorial

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

when you spend hours meticulously designing your character but then in-game you can't even get a haircut

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

thought of one while playing rayman legends: when you are forced to go fast but going too fast also punishes you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

yea ok posted:

thought of one while playing rayman legends: when you are forced to go fast but going too fast also punishes you.

When your characters walk cycle is too slow to keep up with NPCs, but the run cycle overtakes them.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Arrhythmia posted:

When your characters walk cycle is too slow to keep up with NPCs, but the run cycle overtakes them.
Or even when it's the other way around e.g. RE2 and Claire walking slower than Sherry can run, but Claire also running way WAY faster than Sherry. Get too far ahead of Sherry and she sits down and sulks, so you absolutely have to take your time. Great fun.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
when i have to redo an entire unskippable sequence for an entirely pointless qte that i want to see anyways like when i hosed up hugging leonardo di vinci in assassins creed 2

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

when there’s no secret behind the waterfall

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
unskippable

cutscenes

i'm sorry that you had to drop out of film school to slum it in the juego biz but you don't have to take it out on us

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

As odd and unnecessarily different as the GCN controller is, I actually like it. Not least because it's leagues better than that loving three-handled atrocity that came before it.

The Kins posted:

unskippable

cutscenes

i'm sorry that you had to drop out of film school to slum it in the juego biz but you don't have to take it out on us
These can just gently caress right off, especially when they're several minutes long and right before a difficult section that you'll probably fail a couple of times.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Women and sjws op

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HolePisser1982 posted:

opposite for me. if my bullets are going to disappear, it should be happening so far away that i cant possibly be mad about it. ie how battlefield does shotguns

i like the way arma does it where slug shells are insanely powerful but slow down and drop pretty fast and shot shells are fast but spread out and don't do jack to people in armor that are far away. you know. The way shotguns are supposed to work lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

As odd and unnecessarily different as the GCN controller is, I actually like it. Not least because it's leagues better than that loving three-handled atrocity that came before it.

i love the GC controller too. It's just that I'm in my 30s and still need to look at the controller every time it says to press X in a game

I also like the left button being the cancel button and the right button being confirm like all Nintendo stuff is and PlayStation used to do in Japan until the ps5. It just makes more sense to me but that could be because I grew up with nes and snes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
normally that stuff doesn't affect me because I use a 360 controller on PC but I bought Nioh 2 for PC and kept loving up my yokai abilities because I would hit A instead of X lol.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Women and sjws op

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

of course that's the post that gets the cake

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

sign of a weak gamer if this frustrates you in the slightest

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sony changing x to confirm is 100000x worse than anything anyone else ever did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

when you get arbitrary restrictions on your normal abilities just to make things take longer.

Like in Death Stranding, you take fragile cargo all across the world, but sometimes the game just decides you have to carry something by hand because that will make it safer instead of strapping it to your suit. Or how if you're transporting a body, you can't prop them up next to you in a truck.