Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A mediocre pro fighter on my FB who has like 9 ko losses was an accusing aljo of acting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Look it's just smart fight preparation to spend hours of training time making sure you can believably fake intense pain whenever your opponent lands a flagrant-looking phantom foul on you. The hardest part of course is making it look like a technique this professional fighting league deemed too dangerous to use in a bloodsport is something that could actually hurt you, most fighters don't have what it takes to commit to being a giant crying baby in front of a massive audience. But that's what separates the champs from the chumps.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is a tangent from the shot that Aljo took, but I did find knees to the head qualitatively pretty different to punches to the head when I was training Thai rules. At least while standing; I've never been kneed Pride style.
Unless thrown with really good placement, a standing knee runs out of speed really fast at the end of its travel, once your hip is done moving. If thrown upwards to the face, you can also get clubbed by the meat of the quad instead the ends of the femur, which is a far softer blow than a gloved fist. Also with upward swinging knees, it's hard to find the point of the chin, where you maximize brain rotation around the base of your skull.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

kimbo305 posted:

This is a tangent from the shot that Aljo took, but I did find knees to the head qualitatively pretty different to punches to the head when I was training Thai rules. At least while standing; I've never been kneed Pride style.
Unless thrown with really good placement, a standing knee runs out of speed really fast at the end of its travel, once your hip is done moving. If thrown upwards to the face, you can also get clubbed by the meat of the quad instead the ends of the femur, which is a far softer blow than a gloved fist. Also with upward swinging knees, it's hard to find the point of the chin, where you maximize brain rotation around the base of your skull.

The Ninth Layer posted:

That seems to me like the kind of informed opinion that could only be developed after years of frequent and intense firsthand experiences with impacts to the head.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

kimbo305 posted:

This is the key point though, unless you were taking knees from Semmy Schilt or something

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The only time I ever hurt someone in sparring way worse than intended was a knee to the face during halfspeed MMA sparring. He sorta did a half double leg feint/level change right as I started to throw the knee and I tried to pull it but he smashed face first right off the top of my thigh.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Remember this came from a knee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, coming in on a flying knee is way more speed differential.

e: oh yeah, rewatching the MVP flying knee confirmed what I thought -- Cyborg didn't even get KOed -- he quit from the pain of having his skull collapsed

MVP posted:

No. I heard a sound. In all honesty I thought it was his nose. Then by the way he was...he was still conscious. He was still kicking his legs.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 8, 2021