Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah it should be a Yan v Sterling rematch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Jan should have asked Izzy at the end of the fight "where is your Jutsu now, playboy?"

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/status/1368436810297319429?s=19

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

LobsterMobster posted:

Jan should have asked Izzy at the end of the fight "where is your Jutsu now, playboy?"

Hahahahahah.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Automator posted:

Nah, he just wasn’t quite as quick as he is when he’s smaller, but he did fine and clearly still had power.

Jan landed that jab all night and rogan refuses to believe that.

Israel didn't even seem heavier. Hard to believe that he was 200lbs.

Intruder posted:

jan gassed then realized he could just spend 6 of the final 10 minutes laying on top of izzy who never had a prayer of escaping

Pretty much. If Israel had better ground game he would have had a chance.

I guess his "striker only" philosophy has reached its limit.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

so long suckers! i perform hand jutsus and create a huge cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought he looked thicker than he normally does but it may just be me 🤷🏻‍♂️

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CommonShore posted:

I'm assuming that Sterling will be out for a long time. He was super hosed up.

In a perfect world he should, but I'm sure Dana White will try to get a rematch going soon and insist he's fine after like, two weeks

How long do athletic commissions suspend fighters after getting KO'd, like a month?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Joe Rogan loving sucks. Terrible commentary all night. He's just getting worse and worse.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Untrustable posted:

Joe Rogan loving sucks. Terrible commentary all night. He's just getting worse and worse.

Yeah, Joe Rogan has sucked for a while both in UFC commentary and his podcast. I think it's time for Rogan to move on from UFC.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/CrackHardly/status/1368455307677032449

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Oh my god, loving :lmao:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

chaleski posted:

In a perfect world he should, but I'm sure Dana White will try to get a rematch going soon and insist he's fine after like, two weeks

How long do athletic commissions suspend fighters after getting KO'd, like a month?

Usually it's 6 months but sooner if the fighter is judged okay, so in reality, how long is a piece of string?

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Dc is the best

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Usually it's 6 months but sooner if the fighter is judged okay, so in reality, how long is a piece of string?
Or if they go fight in Beijing instead.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

punk rebel ecks posted:

i don't think there was any way for izzy to prepare for a giant enormous man like jan getting on top of him. he lost that fight to jan's patience and size/strength/power, the wrestling was a symptom of that imo since jan caught izzy with reactive shots when he was looking to exchange when he knew he was down in the fight. jan didn't bite on loads of feints, didn't start freaking out like costa or whittaker, just stayed cool and fought a great fight where he leveraged his sizable advantages.

whether or not someone can do that without being a giant in the weight class above the one izzy actually fights in, idk. romero's come closest, i guess.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/funkmasterMMA/status/1368504715407814656?s=19

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

petr yan getting himself disqualified for hitting the Kamigoye in mma is epic as hell

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've seen a lot of bad poo poo happen in boxing shows but I'm struggling to think of anything as disgusting as an entire fight production passively watching a fighter who just ate a blatant hard foul to the head thrash around in pain in the center of the ring for two minutes expecting the fight to somehow continue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Looking back at stats, I didn’t realize Jan technically outlanded Izzy in 1-3. I still had the rounds for izzy regardless because he did the most damage and looked like he wobbled Jan once or twice while Jan shots appeared to no damage.

I love that goons still talk poo poo about me being an idiot years ago. I still think Max was clearly leading the entire Aldo fight, too! It’s me. I’m the moron.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
imo it's cool to delusionally stan for fighters you like. machida never lost a fight, in my heart.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still think Max was clearly leading the entire Aldo fight, too! It’s me. I’m the moron.

Yeah this proves it. Holloway definitely lost the first two rounds.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Do they normally interview the loser of title fights first?

The winners are always interviewed first. The only time I can think of where the loser was interviewed first was the DC Rumble fight where everybody knew Rumble was retiring so DC let his go first as a sign of respect.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

I've seen a lot of bad poo poo happen in boxing shows but I'm struggling to think of anything as disgusting as an entire fight production passively watching a fighter who just ate a blatant hard foul to the head thrash around in pain in the center of the ring for two minutes expecting the fight to somehow continue.

I dunno, this still ranks below Golota punching Bowe in the dick like seven times before getting DQed and all of the promoters and commentators going 'well, clearly, we need to do this again'

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah this proves it. Holloway definitely lost the first two rounds.

I disagree.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
He certainly didn't win the first and was getting hosed up for most of the second. He started turning it around like the last minute of the second round but not enough to win that round. He won the fight anyway but y'all have to make fighters flawless for no reason.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

College Rockout posted:

The winners are always interviewed first. The only time I can think of where the loser was interviewed first was the DC Rumble fight where everybody knew Rumble was retiring so DC let his go first as a sign of respect.

Maycee barber was just interviewed first recently

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

The Ninth Layer posted:

It was SOOOO DUMB! They should never put it in the hands of the fighter.

It should never be up to the fighter to continue. If you intentionally foul someone and give them a concussion, fight over!

https://streamable.com/e87v2m look how bad aljo's head gets snapped back.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Not to mention the small head butt Yan gives right before the knee ?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think everyone involved in the event realized the implication (title change by dq to someone who was almost certainly going to lose) and spent like 2min being like so uhh any other option and then all went welp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

i don't think there was any way for izzy to prepare for a giant enormous man like jan getting on top of him.

well... they probably did have him sparring bigger guys that usual, right?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Not to mention the small head butt Yan gives right before the knee ?

Yeah it was technically a headbutt, but it was to the meat of Aljo's back and just meant to keep him pressed down before he threw the knee.
If he had moved slower it would just be controlling with the head.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is coming from someone who has watched a ton of professional wrestling and having just started watching MMA literally this year but if titles shouldn't be transferred via DQ, what's to stop people from intentionally DQ'if they know they are going to lose?

Should it be a 0-10 loss of the round in the case of an illegal move that is deemed disaqualifying?

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 7, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Unperson_47 posted:

This is coming from someone who has watched a ton of professional wrestling and having just started watching MMA literally this year but if titles shouldn't be transferred via DQ, what's to stop people from intentionally DQ'if they know they are going to lose?

Should it be a 0-10 loss of the round in the case of an illegal move that is deemed disaqualifying?

Titles 100 percent should be transferred in the event of a DQ for an intentional foul. They will take points and go to the scorecards in some cases where the foul is accidental. Your logic is correct, Joe Rogan is a moron

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Gramps posted:

Titles 100 percent should be transferred in the event of a DQ for an intentional foul. They will take points and go to the scorecards in some cases where the foul is accidental. Your logic is correct, Joe Rogan is a moron

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I dunno, this still ranks below Golota punching Bowe in the dick like seven times before getting DQed and all of the promoters and commentators going 'well, clearly, we need to do this again'

I dunno I've never heard of a bruised dick leading to long term neurological consequences. But the UFC was treating Sterling like he got hit in the nuts and just needed five minutes to shake off his brain trauma before continuing, so maybe they know something I don't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Getting rocked is a spectrum, so I'm ok in concept with not stopping fights on all intentional fouls, regardless of impact. But I certainly don't trust just a ref and appointed doctor to be managing the fighter through an assessment. At the very least any members of their corner who want to talk should be let in.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

With something that flagrant just call it. Even if the fighter and their corner want to continue sorry; it's been decided. It sets a bad precedent for champs if it gets to continue after such a damning and reckless foul. Who cares if the title changes hands like that? It's solely on Yan for his stupid, stupid decision. I don't care if his corner told him he was in the clear. He should know. He gets paid a lot to know. No excuse. That's how you lose your title. Think in the future.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

It was SOOOO DUMB! They should never put it in the hands of the fighter.

It should never be up to the fighter to continue. If you intentionally foul someone and give them a concussion, fight over!

https://streamable.com/e87v2m look how bad aljo's head gets snapped back.

See that's what I would think too. When I see a guy take a massive unexpected blunt force full in the face, my immediate thought is "wow that must have hurt really badly." But maybe that's wrong of me, after all there seem to be a lot of twitter fight experts out there who saw the same thing and immediately knew that specific head shot wouldn't hurt very much and that the guy was acting too hurt. That seems to me like the kind of informed opinion that could only be developed after years of frequent and intense firsthand experiences with impacts to the head.

Untrustable posted:

With something that flagrant just call it. Even if the fighter and their corner want to continue sorry; it's been decided. It sets a bad precedent for champs if it gets to continue after such a damning and reckless foul. Who cares if the title changes hands like that? It's solely on Yan for his stupid, stupid decision. I don't care if his corner told him he was in the clear. He should know. He gets paid a lot to know. No excuse. That's how you lose your title. Think in the future.

Yeah for real. Forget landing a shot like that. Just throwing it is disqualifying.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
edit: wrong thread