Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bartok posted:

I remember it played on one of the non-network affiliated UHF channels in Cincinnati when I was a kid. Happy days when it folded and was replaced by ECW.

Ol' Corny must've LOVED that. It's amazing that for all his BS, Paul Heyman isn't even in the bottom 50 worst people in wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Good I hope he legit drives to his house and puts him in the accolade until he dies.

Am I the only one slightly bugged that they call it Game Over in AEW when KENTA literally appeared on Dynamite and did the original Game Over?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1991 - 1995)
IWA Mid-South (1996 - today)

the numbers speak for themselves.

Is Cornette worse than Ian Rotten at this point? I assume not, in so far as all Jim does is say hateful poo poo and Ian has physically hurt multiple people

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zombie Lemur posted:

That was basically early Mikey Whipwreck.

"Let me tell you something, Pitbull #1...oh god I'm gonna die!"

Wasn't there one time he was teaming with Cactus and says something similar, and Mick just grins and goes "MIKEY LIKES IT!"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vandar posted:

It never ends.

It's kind of funny that this dipshit artist couldn't find a reference for Joe that doesn't make him come off as going "WTF is this racist nonsense?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For all it's faults, I'm not sure TNA's loving up of Joe even comes along racist lines. Like, I suppose the 'Nation of Violence/penis tattoo' stuff kinda does, but that was when he was managed by Taz, right? I think they were going more for Taz's whole Path of Rage thing. Other than that, I think he did a traditional dance for an entrance at one PPV and it was handled pretty sensitively from what I recall and came off pretty cool, especially compared to some of the poo poo WWE pulls.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it seemed like an actually good way to acknowledge Joe's heritage and cultural background without making him a caricature and doing something to make their big PPV seem special.

MassRafTer posted:

Joe seemed proud of the BFG entrance and his only complaint I've heard about the match is it had to be so short.
Oh poo poo, that was the one with Liger, right? Yeah, I get the idea they were going for, given Joe was being pushed as this unstoppable monster, but him and Liger going 20+ mins would've been rad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kenny Olivier is him referencing Lawrence Olivier cause Kenny is just "play acting like a wrestler" and using a man who is widely considered a master at his craft as an insult being stupid never occurred to Jim.

Oh, he's probably aware, but it's also meant to be a lovely bi-phobic joke about Kenny's sexuality because theatre actors (and English people in general for some reason I've never quite understood) are stereotyped as queer. And the Twinkletoes thing is along the same lines. He knows he'd get poo poo even from some of his 'cult' if he didn't code it and actually used the slurs he would've used in the past.

I believe he got replaced by Schiavone, funnily enough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To play devil's advocate: Remember that Underaker had literally just started the biker gimmick less than a year earlier. Taker/Funk makes way more sense as two Texas good ol' boys having a fight than the Crow vs a random motorcycle dad. The Sting thing is based around the Crow gimmick and the Deadman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Cornette's problem often seems to be that he can't get past that mental roadblock of "I did stuff like that, so that can't be bad because then I'm bad."

This is literally the reason why anyone with lovely views or behaviour doubles down. "That thing can't be racist, because I like/did thing, so that'd make me racist and racists are Bad People and I'm not a Bad Person".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rare instance of that word being used as a legitimate descriptor instead of a generic insult.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It kinda comes back to that quote from (I think) Nash about everyone calling it 'the business' but the old guys get mad when you treat it as one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

actually his invasion plan was 3 hours long and the youtube video everyone talks about only showed the culminations of all the booking. you have to watch the full dvd now if you've ever talked about it

I think I may actually have this DVD in the back of a wardrobe somewhere

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...Not only did Jack literally kill people... he all but did so in the ring. Much more deliberately than the Arquette incident.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll grant him this: It's almost clever in that if someone points out that it'd be really silly to chant something that Page has said in promos as a rallying cry, or something that sounds almost indistinguishable from it, as an insult, then he can just :smug: about AEW fans being dumb so of course they'd be that stupid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

I’d rather have the 16 million dollars from the baton rouge shows tbh

You have to spend like 70k of it each time to cover the building, pay off the boys, pay off the cops for not arresting the boys, pay for the truck for the ring... And then the other 10k goes towards coke and meth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tato posted:

what is there to say besides "who the gently caress booked a Gallows singles match in 2021?!?!?"

I assume Impact mandates Karl and Doc have to work the same number of matches in AEW, so we got a good match from Anderson the week before, we had to suffer this this week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like JR complained about New Japan doing the same thing back in the day and it was also dumb then.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's like, one or two semi-reasonable points in among the reams of horseshit there. Like, arguably you could've spaced out the Mox and Miro matches because while they didn't repeat spots, they were both 'strong style' big meaty slap fests. His point about getting someone more relevant than Kojima isn't crazy but also is ignorant of the fact that clearly they were angling for Tanahashi until Covid hosed New Japan and they had to bring him home.

And the crossbody off the cage with Penta popping up is kind of fair, but like, it was the finish, who the gently caress is bothered when it goes straight to the finish.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I think that's what Cornette means with the back elbow thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

beggar posted:

Lmao we can't do the south park shtick for Owen, let's put some effort into this one!

In fairness his take on this is pretty much the correct one. If anything it may be too generous to AEW because they are 100% trying to make money off Owen to some degree (I'll happily be proven wrong but I doubt 100% of the profits are going to the charity) but he rightfully tells the critics to gently caress off about WWE and the HOF

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Laid OUT BY THE CHAIRMAN you mean!

That's not Shawn Spears :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He also complains about Suzuki's stuff looking weak/fake and like... what the gently caress is he talking about? I've literally been in the room for a Suzuki match, he's either really hitting the other dude... or working snug enough that it doesn't matter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That's not what he said. He said it looks phony when two guys stand in the middle of the ring and just trade blows. Like I hit you, now OK you hit me now.

He said both.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean I get that Last has to (well 'has to') work with the guy, but come on dude, just loving say that it IS racist to say that. In fairness, I get that he DID basically all but say it by pointing out that Cornette's basically decided every Japanese woman is Riho and that every joshi show is ChocoPro, but that's the loving problem these days. Everyone's so scared to say the word because fuckwits act like being called racist or even just saying you said/did something racist is worse than literal racism.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah yes, AEW, famous for ejecting fans for yelling NEEDLE-DICK at MJF or KENNY NO-BALLS or FAT-FACED DIPSHIT. How dare they throw one transphobe out! That'll only leave 6898 fans in the building!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jim's right, the headline could've had room for a couple more jizz puns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A: He liked it
B: It's very funny hearing him tie himself in knots trying to give the Bucks backhanded praise for 'not doing their gymnastics' when they did basically nothing they don't normally do (I think the only spot that was notably missing was the dive between Matt's legs after the wrecking ball dropkick) and the match was clearly as much a Bucks production as FTRs, just like the ROH one was a Briscoe match as much as an FTR one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also laughed during the match (or maybe it was the Top Flight match the week before) when Excalibur kind of backhandedly pointed out Matt still selling his back from like 6 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

What I always wonder is if anyone besides Cornette enjoys this boring, rote poo poo.

I mean, people liked FTR/Bucks a lot, so yes? (Hint, every one of those things happened in that match)

The issue isn't the formula, it's Jim and his lot not being able to recognise that formula once you bring in more modern spots and moves.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LOWKVq5sQ

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mulaney Power Move posted:

im sorry but orange cassidy has no business being on this list of great wrestlers, come on now

Cassidy had the best match on the last PPV.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why would he? He never bothered to change direction when the gates were down as a promoter

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Have Cornette remake Action Buttons nearly 6 hour review of Tokimeki Memorial.

https://youtu.be/xb-DtICmPTY

Jim was definitely born stupid

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

edogawa rando posted:

Can't wait for them to inevitably publicly tell him to gently caress off.

They've consistently not done so even when given the chance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
C'mon guys, Corny is a Family Guy guy, not the Simpsons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, it is a fine line. Tagging the TBS Twitter account or the corporate WBD ones about the issue is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest fans do. Asking them to harass a specific individual, especially without confirmation if it's even the right person, is not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

No you literally have to pay transaction fees (usually referred to as ‘gas’) to put your NFTs onto the blockchain in the first place before you can sell them.

They have to be paid every time the NFT changes hands too because it’s grifts all the way down.

Everything about NFTs is even stupider than you first imagine.

Said gas fees can be stupidly high AND the transactions take forever on the biggest chains, making the whole 'crypto is the future of currency' thing even more obviously bullshit as well. Blockchain is basically a niche tech that's useful for specific databasing applications... which some assholes decided needed to be more than that and have been trying for a decade-plus to make it the answer to some kind of problem

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also, like, there's literal precedent for 'attack the boss, get fired' in the major companies. It was a long time ago, sure, but VINCE fired Nailz for the exact same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's part of the grift. If they don't sue, it's because they're afraid of what he'd find or because his misogyny is correct and they'd lose. Instead of because he's irrelevant and not worth the effort