Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

ARMBAR A COP posted:

This dude is from Alberta lol

Being a hockey fan has taught me that Alberta is chud central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Penelope never really even did the "sexy valet as a distraction" bit. She physically intervened in Kip's matches with hurricanranas or dives. Thinking back on it, she kind of flipped that trope on its head even if that wasn't the intention.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kip is 100% her himbo arm candy valet.

Yeah, it's great.

I was lukewarm to it at first, mainly because Penelope was so involved in Kip's matches and he was still losing. Once he started interfering in her matches too and they found a better balance I found myself enjoying them quite a bit.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Digital Jedi posted:

All 32 years so far haven't consumed any alcohol. Don't know how I've done it.

Why kill your braincells with alcohol when you can kill them with Jim Cornette and (probably) spare your liver?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, Kip briefly becoming this dril tweet was great.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088?s=20

That was basically early Mikey Whipwreck.

"Let me tell you something, Pitbull #1...oh god I'm gonna die!"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't there one time he was teaming with Cactus and says something similar, and Mick just grins and goes "MIKEY LIKES IT!"?

Yep.

I might be misremembering, but I think there was also a time where Mikey tried to get out of a tag match by giving Mick a note from his mother.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The Wrestling Bios dude effusively praises Cornette every time he pops up on an episode of Raw during Reliving the War, so I can't say this is that surprising.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

RealFoxy posted:

Do you think Cornette would like Asuka better or worse if you showed him her early career when she was legitimately knocking people out

"Knocking people out should be saved for real matches with men."

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
gently caress, Cornette should just hire Ben Garrison.

For once the millions of labels he puts on his comics would be somewhat useful.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Unless Dahmer's coworkers were cracking jokes about him having people over his apartment for "dinner" or something that's a pretty poo poo comparison.

Cornette is trash as always.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Unperson_47 posted:

Imagine getting radicalized by Jim Cornette into rushing a stage hoping he notices you

*Rikishi voice*
"I did it for the Cuck"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Knowing the idiot's motivation it's kind of weird that he'd interrupt a segment with a veteran like Jericho and an old school never breaks kayfabe heel like MJF when Orange Cassidy and the Bucks were on the show.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Pylons posted:

Cornette turned on MJF some time ago.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why?

The singing stuff?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

I mean, I thought that segment was pretty dumb but it's very Cornette like to key in on one thing so he can totally write off a wrestler that basically follows the blueprint he worships.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
They may not have pressed charges until they saw how batshit his social media was.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lamuella posted:

More like Jim Mumsnet at this point

(one there for the britposters)

This thread was worth having just for this post.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I'm assuming the baby deer is female, otherwise Cornette wouldn't let it on his property.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Seeing this bumped reminded me that my buddy checked out AEW BECAUSE of Cornette.

Cornette made him think AEW was going to be an early TNA style trainwreck on a billion dollar budget and then he was pleasantly surprised and also mildly disappointed that it was actually good.

He's a lapsed fan so he was unaware of anything Cornette has said or done for like a decade. I guess one of his rants randomly popped up on his YouTube recommendations.

He also said something like "did you know Cornette is super loving racist now!?" I wanted to say "now?" but I just let it go.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Ivypls posted:

cornette had a weird bill maher liberal phase years ago which was also when he built up a lot of his good will with the iwc, i think it fooled a lot of people into thinking he wasn't a racist

That's part of it but he also built up goodwill with people from Western PA by making GBS threads on Mark Madden.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Cole IS one of the boys, that was the entire point of how things were set up.

And a manager in the ring being a DQ when they don't really do anything is stupid too. Christ, I remember managers jumping in, getting smacked and the match continuing happening in the 90's. Since Jim likes to talk about realism or whatever, wouldn't the rules being enforced that way just cause heels to have people interfere in front of the ref in every match to retain their titles?

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 8, 2021

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

TheKingslayer posted:

It was more egregious that the ref didn't eject Don for helping set up a table imo.

An ejection would be a totally reasonable way to book it. Or have some stipulation where Kenny loses the title if any of the Elite interfere.

Edit: As a reason for there being no interference, not as a way for the title to change hands.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
If someone debuted Flair's walk out of the corner and face plant spot today the usual suspects would lose their poo poo about how it exposes the business or whatever.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I haven't listened to any of their stuff in ages, but on the off chance Cornette would actually enjoy something Last would try to ruin it for him by pointing out parts that he would hate. Gotta keep the old man angry to get those clicks.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I was bored at work so I decided to bite the bullet and listen to their take on Owen.

Last and Cornette were both overwhelmingly positive about all of it. Cornette went as far as to say that it's not just young guys wanting to go to AEW but also legends because they can get paid and maybe do some commentary instead of getting insulted and treated like poo poo.

They called out the people complaining about WWE not getting to do the tribute and said it definitely wasn't their audience because they're reasonable. (Lol)

I'm going to laugh if he loses listeners for this.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Davros1 posted:

I caught him saying (re: Owen Cup), that'll be good as long as they don't have like Orange Cassidy win it, and all I could think was Owen would've LOVED working with OC. I bet he would've gotten such a big kick out of doing goofy stuff with him.

Yeah, I think OC and Owen would've been fantastic together.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
My favorite Owen match story from Foley's book is him no selling the Sharpshooter by smoking an imaginary cigarette and pretending to check his watch.

Man, now I'm imagining Owen countering OC's sunglasses with a pair of Bret's.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

BGrifter posted:

I’ve always assumed the Dan Lambert stuff was intended as a parody of Cornette’s criticism.

That's what I thought too, but apparently Lambert did the same shtick in Impact so who knows?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Well now I kind of want to see him do that too. Not enough to go back and watch Impact but still.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Mulaney Power Move posted:

corny would just threaten shoot him

The bullet would see Suzuki and go the other way.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Dawgstar posted:

Hildebrand was apparently an amazing wrestler who if he came around now would be on everybody's 'best of' list. Even as it was he was a great referee.

Yeah, Mick Foley has talked about Hildebrand studying tapes of Japanese wrestling for hours on end learning different moves and doing stuff no one in the US was attempting at the time.

It's funny that Cornette speaks so highly of him, because the mentality that put him in a turtle costume is the same one that leads to him trashing AEW wrestlers. Hildebrand would've thrived in AEW and Cornette would hate him.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Give me a turtle tag team that uses Total Elimination as a finisher but calls it Turtle Elimination.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

davidbix posted:

Hell, Hildebrand was super into lucha libre when that was incredibly rare in the U.S., even trying to learn the style and incorporate it into his own work. At one point he was working some shows under a mask as El Technico Rudo and explicitly working lucha style.

It really does seem like he was born in the wrong time.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I figured Cornette would be too busy whining about the Halloween match to talk about anything else. I should've known there's always room for racism on his schedule.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Vandar posted:

Great news for you then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fccpy21ZqiE

(I ain't listened to it and I ain't gonna. I can't do more than ten minutes of Corncob at a time.)

Haha, yeah I don't think I can put myself through it either.

What a waste of nice art, too.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

TheKingslayer posted:

You nailed what really bugs me about Jim's bullshit. He's as far from some kind of manly man as you can get and he's trying to gatekeep what being masculine is like any of that matters in this day and age.

That's generally how it goes, look at Ben Shapiro or Charlie Kirk.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Mox should see a doctor, I don't think it's normal to bleed puzzle pieces.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I like how in Corncob canon Meltzer is some kind of iguana monster.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

MancXVI posted:

The heck sort of job would have trolling AEW as a fireable offense

I'm guess they were doing that instead of doing their job?

Nothing else makes sense, unless they're completely lying. No one would lie for clout on the internet, so that can't possibly be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Lesnar vs prime Bigelow would've been a fun spectacle but Bigelow's body was already falling apart at that point.