Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Undertaker losing to Terry Funk is about the only interesting Undertaker match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Critical posted:

mike levy would argue ian was very drat close to murdering someone

What happened to Levy was lovely and inexcusable but my memory is that saying it was close to murder is mad silly.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I cannot imagine having 10 minutes worth of thoughts to say about that match.

Cornette as a fly seems a bit on the nose, what with flies being incredibly annoying pests

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corny with the big revelation: a Singles Match would be better than a battle royal. Bold.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So, are there actually any good wrestling podcasts? I occasionally check out Meltzer & co via YouTube clips, but the last wrestling podcast I listened to was so long ago they were still called radio programs.

Between the Ropes, I think? Man, it was good.

I like Between The Sheets, where they do a "this week in wrestling history" sort of thing, picking one year & going through the newsletters & dirtsheets to go through the results & news from that week, they often play clips from that weeks TV to illustrate a point being talked about by Meltzer or whoever. I find it very interesting & entertaining, they often have interesting guests on, promoters, wrestlers, fans. But boy are the shows long. For example, last weeks episode covered Feb 2-8, 1993 & the episode is 5 hours 50 minutes. The previous episode was Jan 26-Feb 1 1999 & was 6 hours 52. I have no loving idea how Bix & Kris have managed to do nearly 350 weekly episodes of a podcast that even on a short week is about 3 hours long & presumably takes even longer to put together all the notes.

I dunno, there's a few others that I frequently listen to that cover my areas of interest: Eastern Lariat which focuses on a bit of puro potpourri, you'll hear chat about Big Japan & Freedoms along side Stardoms & DDT & NOAH. Open The Voice Gate is a Dragongate focused podcast that I always catch, Emerald FloShow is a newer podcast that covers current All Japan & NOAH but I like what I've heard from the 1st episode. There's an ROH historical watchalong podcast, ThROH the Years that I enjoy, although I'm far from up to date on that. There are similar for PWG & Shimmer that I don't really keep up with but I enjoy the concepts.

There's probably too many good wrestling podcasts for the work-from-home era.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

11 loving hours

Once you have finished listening, give us a book report style essay on this, thanks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

I saw it come across a social media feed earlier today, but I see Cornette went full on racist about Asuka's return to RAW on one of his latest episodes, running down how she looked, claiming she was parodying a racist accent, and making GBS threads on her for her promo, saying that they need to "figure out a way to make her lips and words at least 5 seconds off". And then he screamed about how he is being accused of racism because "I don't like Japanese wrestlers".

So he basically wants ASUKA to get the old Funaki "INDEED" gimmick. Russo and Cornette, peas in a lovely pod

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keithy george posted:

Not to be pendantic but Indeed was long after Russo was gone, the Indeed voice was Bruce Pritchard… who now books a magical schoolgirl.

I mean, if we're being this pedantic, I didn't actually say Russo wrote it, I just implied that it was Russo level poo poo & Corny's ideas are on the same level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

This is the most I've ever been tempted to listen to an episode of the Corncast. Love some good dunking on Disco

Friends don't let friends listen to Cornette even out if curiosity

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

He actually couldn't do any of those things because he legit just sucks at wrestling.

That'd hardly a Handicap in GCW, they book Jordan Oliver all the time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Wrestling isn't MEANT to look like a real fight. Real fights are ugly and look like poo poo.

Wrestling is meant to look like the story of a fight, with better pacing, flashier things happening, and emotional heft.

If your wrestling match looks like what a fight actually looks like, you've failed.

Pretend i posted the video of some drunken brawl where a guy gets shoot piledrivered and totally no sells it.

The people who want this almost never watch actual shootstyle Pro wrestling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ah, the famous New Japan style as personified by Riho

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LvK posted:

as a shoot-style freak I can confirm this, plus the expected xenophobia about a pro-wrestling movement whose biggest players were primarily Japanese or Eastern-European.

Which, hey: you can only definitively prove some of those organized crime ties!

I always thought PWFG having Gumi in the name was a bit on the nose about who was funding Fujiwara's promotion

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, what makes an Outlaw Mud Show an Outlaw Mud Show is not that it's small-time, but that it doesn't have the blessing of the extremely official ancient honorary brotherhood of territorial wrestling promoters. So any show not blessed by the NWA is a mud show.

Billy Corgan is the only one not running an outlaw mud show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bartok posted:

Disney did a remake of Mighty Joe Young starring Charlize Theron back in 1998. It sucked poo poo and Jim Cornette is a racist.

It came out at the same time as Meet Joe Black (the film where Brad Pitt crosses a street & gets pinballed against a dozen cars) & I have always confused them in my brain, because I guess my brain can only handle one Joe film per year