Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
He chimed in on Twitter, too.
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370859579958046723
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370850580755800072
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370869164710170628https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370871954362806275
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370875440693456899
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370890589928050690
https://twitter.com/TheKipSabian/status/1370892729861992456
As did Janela:
https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1370873109184704514
Meanwhile, the reply guy responses have included trying to taunt Miro with screenshots of Google Image Search results from the Lashley/Lana storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

This is probably a good time to reiterate something I mention from time to time, especially with a new thread:

When Brian became Jim's new cohost, the entire idea behind it was that after Jim went on 6:05 with Brian and myself, he got a ton of "you actually sounded like you were having fun!" feedback. So Brian, who had a good working knowledge of what Jim has and hasn't said in shoot interview DVDs or podcasts before, would be able to steer the show into discussing cool old-school stuff that Jim hadn't discussed publicly before. As a result, everyone wins, with cool new content and a happy, engaged Jim. And none of this is a secret that I'm specifically privy to, either. The substance of it was discussed on the air.

Then AEW launched, Jim's Double or Nothing review blew up, and he went further on the shock jock shtick than ever before, and it carried the podcasts to new heights, even resulting in the Drive Thru (which had, for at least a little while, been insulated from Jim's takes on anything current) losing much of the appeal that differentiated it from the main show. To anyone who's paid attention to Jim long-term and has half a brain, it's a cash grab, which probably makes it even worse.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MJeff posted:

I mean, didn't he stop covering AEW for a while, then his numbers went down, so he started covering it again?
I think so?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

I actually thought better of that and edited because she's saying what does he think about his wife given, and that makes more sense. I don't totally dig it, but it's more of a point than just making GBS threads on his sex life.
Yeah, it really needs to be stressed that she made a point of phrasing the tweet in such a way that didn't impugn Stacey at all or even suggest their fetish was inherently bad. The "so what does he think of her" is the important part of "but he lets people gently caress his wife while he watches, so what does he think of her." In other words, she's saying "wait, if I, someone who he only knows of having two long term relationships, am a slut, then what in the world does he think of his wife if he literally gets off on her being with other guys?"

She's long been one of my favorite people in the wrestling business, but the blend of nuance and maturity she showed here bumps her up that list even further, regardless of whose insults she's fighting back against.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

His stuff was gone by the time I saw the post here with the embeds. What did he say?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

He was arguing that Cornette didn't call Ford a slut even though there was audio proving it.
Oh, he was FAR from the only one making that argument. (This may have been the first time he used the word "slut" or a direct derivative thereof to describe her—I honestly don't know—but that doesn't really matter because, as Penelope noted, it was far from the first time he referred to her that way more broadly.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

They're both carnies, but they're very different.

Jim is, of course, famously scorched earth over disagreements, but he's also shockingly honest when he's not shticking it up. (If nothing else, he's given us a tremendously improved understanding of historical wrestler pay scales.) He's still a carny, but more by way of his insistence on treating "getting heat" as a barometer of anything in the real world. And because that's how he's been viewing his self-worth, it's resulted in him becoming a lot more outright viscerally hated by fans and wrestlers alike the last couple years.

Ian is much more of a surface carny, but whose carniness is lovable in a weird way. For example, he and Dave Prazak had a pretty ugly split years ago after Ian booked a maatch that was seemingly designed just to undermine Prazak, Jimmy Jacobs, and B.J. Whitmer's jobs in Ring of Honor. (Specifically, he put Jacobs and Whitmer, the ROH champs, together as a team for the first time on an IWA show solely so he could job them out.) Yet they ended up friendly again a few years ago and Prazak has done commentary for IWA shows on occasion since then. Even though Ian didn't always provide the safest environment or most reliable payoffs, he's also provided a pretty fantastic learning atmosphere that helped shape a lot of careers. Since he's also a lot more easygoing than Jim is, all of that results in him probably being a lot less hated by wrestlers right now, at least.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

It is crazy the talent that got honed in IWA. Every early card I see from them read's like The Indies' Who's Who of the 00's. The women too, of course. Didn't Prazak start SHIMMER because he saw them come through IWA-MS and was like 'hey, there's enough women wrestlers to run a promotion?'
Sort of. Mickie Knuckles came through the IWA school and needed opponents, especially in an era where you couldn't just throw an intergender match on an indie show without anyone blinking. So Lacey and Rain were brought back into the mix, Daizee Haze and Ms. Chif would come in from St. Louis, etc. Then, one day, Prazak suggested to Ian that they book some of the non-Mickie women against each other on shows Mickie wasn't working. It got over, so they kept doing it. Their women's division became prominent enough that this all led to Prazak booking IWAMS's first (almost) all-women's show, Volcano Girls, which was, IIRC, a critical success that sold really well on DVD.

I forget when Shimmer was originally announced—the first show was 18 months after Volcano Girls—but it deepened Prazak's relationship with ROH because they were the DVD distributor at the start. If I'm parsing results right, Prazak and Whitmer quit IWAMS in August 2005, about 3 months before Shimmer's first show. (I misremembered earlier; Jacobs stuck around.) But Volcano Girls was absolutely a proof of concept, even if informally.

Being able to launch a domestic women's promotion that could be used to develop talent so they wouldn't be stuck always wrestling the same opponents had been a goal of Dave's for quite a while. He was at least an informal adviser to Kiryoku Pro, the VERY short-lived women's spinoff of Chikara Pro in its early days, which was run by his friend Joanne Starer, Mike Quackenbush's then-girlfriend. It never really got off the ground for a number of reasons, the most obvious of which was the debut show being completely gutted by outright no-shows as well as short-notice pull-outs. But you can see the DNA of Shimmer and its ethos in the matches that went off as scheduled on the first show, most notablyhe the main event of Sumie Sakai vs. Little Jeanne. Sumie had just come to the U.S. for what was assumed to be an extended working vacation (she stayed for good), but was based in New England and had been wrestling Mercedes Martinez exclusively. (Martinez almost exclusively worked with Trinity Campbell as her main opponent before that.) Joanne, wanting a different match, put Sumie in with Jeanne instead, while Martinez worked with Lexie Fyfe.

All of that said: I distinctly remember Chikara selling the tape of the debut show for an unusually low price by 2002 indie wrestling standards, especially since early, self-produced, pre-Smart Mark Video affiliation Chikara actually made an effort with packaging. It might have been $8? Maybe even less? There was absolutely a concern that fans wouldn't pay for a women's show, and that may have even been a pre-order price before the show actually took place. Because it was so early in the era of indies being able to sell tapes/DVDs reliably, I presume that they just didn't know yet that, between "regular" fans and fetish-oriented fans, women's wrestling videos might actually be the easiest sell in indie wrestling. When Shimmer Vol. 1 was released, it quickly became the fastest-selling DVD in the history of ROH other than Joe vs. Kobashi, IIRC.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 16, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

Charlie Haas has now earned his place in the Cornhole.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingMark8/status/1371674152990613506?s=20
So...we can write off everyone invoking the Lashley stuff as racists, right? I legit don't see what that has to do with anything past them trying to go "lol, u got cucked by a black guy."

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Tato posted:

Also, not that I'm defending anyone, but Ian Rotten probably wouldn't run and hide and call the cops at a convention when Santino was looking for him after riling a bunch of poo poo up.
That's a bad example because he was clearly trying to bait Jim into a physical confrontation. I can't really blame him for his reaction to Santino there.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Critical posted:

I mean if the dude didn't want a confrontation he shouldn't have slapped Santino at their shared workplace and then bragged about it in numerous shoots like Santino was the rear end in a top hat.
Well, no, of course he shouldn't have.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I know they're not being remotely intellectually honest, but...how is Penelope's gimmick that she's "slutty" in the first place, even in Jim's brain? Her outfits are not at all extra revealing by 2021 wrestling standards or hell, even by 2021 mainstream society standards. In storyline, she went from her longtime serious boyfriend to the dude she ended up marrying after being together for almost two years. (She and Joey were already broken up IRL, but they had agreed to stick together as an act until she fell so head over heels for Kip, constantly posting about him on social media, that it felt like it didn't make sense anymore.) Hell, when they did the Janela-Kip feud, I don't think they ever even said she left the former for the latter, did they? It just...doesn't fit.

Now, in isolation, could I see a possibility where someone who was a bit out of touch on what's acceptable might use "slutty girlfriend" as an archetype that has little to do with the actual character? Maybe. But it wasn't in isolation, he's repeatedly made nonsense comments that painted her as indiscriminately promiscuous. And his nicknames for AEW talent are all supposed to be insults, so why would anyone expect "Penelope Pitstop" to be anything other than calling Penelope a "pitstop" in the first place?

In other words: It's literally just that he's so consumed with weird hatred for Joey Janela that he feels that any woman who would touch him is a slut. Which means he'll probably say something terrible about Brandi Lauren/Skyler Story by the end of 2021.

But gently caress that guy. Penelope is awesome.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vandar posted:

Jesus Christ I didn't expect anyone to actually listen to that nonsense. :stare: I kind of feel like we owe you some kind of apology or something.
I'm still trying to figure out how that filled an hour.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

collocation posted:

Do you have a patron? I would not send a great deal, but I feel that you deserve some sort of reward for dealing with all of that, even if only nominal. A friend of mine listened to it, but their take was far more scanty.

Said friend (or perhaps, in this case, "friend") repeatedly asked me to listen to the part above (at 36:40) and, while I have sworn off the ruler of the hole, I did since it was just Last and thus something that I could guiltily rules lawyer my way into doing. The bit on Callis was troubling as Last seemed to imply either Callis did something wrong with the investigation and/or was a part of what was investigated. He also used an incredibly cheesy pun to tell everyone who the alleged person who may have been wronged was, which I think has only been rumored previously, and should be their story to reveal, not some shock jock podcast rear end in a top hat. (Though, I wonder if their release involved an NDA).
I have to be really, really careful about how I phrase this, especially at this hour, because, as has been alluded to in the past, what's reportable on this is...complicated. To understand what's out there in the public domain, I suggest reading these:

* The initial report about the Impact sexual harassment investigation etc: https://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/wwe/exclusive-impact-investigation-involving-work-place-sexual-harassment
* Fightful then independently confirmed the substance of WNW's reporting: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-impact-wrestling-official-investigated-sexual-harassment
* Six months later, Kris "Baby Ref" Levin got permission from the involved parties who made the accusations to give his side about how his interview in the investigation led to his firing. Nick Hausman wrote up a story on it that included some twists that were buoyed by a little bit of additional reporting from myself: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/06/kris-levin-questions-legitimacy-of-recent-impact-wrestling-671970/

Look, it's not particularly hard to figure out who these stories are about; I remember a bunch of people figuring it out just from the initial story at WNW. And there's enough that I find it highly doubtful that anyone in Impact would sue Brian over it. But there are very good reasons—ethical reasons specifically—why nobody's named names in any reporting.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 17, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Where am I supposed to be seeing that DVD in that photo?

collocation posted:

Thanks, Bix. I appreciate that you said anything. This had only bubbled up to me when the referee spoke, and I didn't know all of the available details. I didn't know that you had found out about how the investigator had a prior relation. It all sounds very unfortunate.

---

Also, the third link was the same as the second, but I think that you may have meant to post this article that I found searching for the referee's name or something with similar info:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/06/kris-levin-questions-legitimacy-of-recent-impact-wrestling-671970/
Yup! Fixed.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Alaois posted:

laying horizontally across the top of the middle shelf, on the left

above the can of Stewie Griffin Energy Drink
That's a heck of an eye from Wrestling Twitter Diceman to spot it in the first place.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Davros1 posted:

Noticed Cornette has a bunch of WWE documentary DVDs; do you think he watches them just so he can get upset?
Based on the vintage, those are probably DVDs that Brian sent him when he was working for Sony and Sony was distributing the WWE DVDs. I used to have (pre-Hurricane Sandy) a ton of DVDs like that which were gifted from Brian, usually WWE or Shout Factory stuff. IIRC, Brian was also supplying them to Bryan Alvarez until WWE got friendlier about sending out free review copies again. (WWE didn't seem to keep track of what the sent out, to who, and/or when, though, as I'm fairly sure they sent me the Wargames set three different times.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DarkstarIV posted:

So Jim apparently reviewed the Asuka/Rhea match from Wrestlemania and it's brought out all of the lovely people. He assigned pretty much all of the blame onto Asuka (and basically claimed she is at fault for everything going wrong with Rhea), and gushed about Rhea and how perfect she is.
Doesn't Brian even get on him for the Asuka stuff because there's zero way to even TRY to fit her into his weird anti-Japanese women ranting? (That her entire run in WWE has been as a violent, believable, and physically strong rear end kicker, unlike Riho being too tiny and ineffectual or whatever.)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i understand not giving Jim the benefit of the doubt but if you actually listen to the video he's talking about TNA wasting the best years of Joe's career and doing stuff like the fire dance entrance that he supposedly didn't want to have (and blaming it all on Russo) so this is kind of the intended effect
...wasn't the fire dance entrance done only once or twice, and even then, only using the fire dance troupe consisting of Joe's immediate family?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I was curious enough to listen to the segment and I may be losing my mind, but he wasn't using his bullshit voice and it sounded like he may have just confused the fire dancers with the dick tattoo or something else? And he specifically recounted Joe telling him it bothered him which, even by JC's standards, feels like something that would be a bad idea to knowingly make up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

RealFoxy posted:

This lawyer, in fact lives and practices in my home town and I've met him on occasion. He's a huge wrestling fan, I wouldn't be surprised if Cornette just knew him from running shows in West Virginia 35 years ago
Steve and Jim first became friends to some degree decades ago when Steve—then in law school, if I'm remembering right—sent Jim a law textbook excerpt about the time that Jim, Bobby Eaton, Stan Lane, and Jim Crockett Promotions were sued by a fan who accused Stan of assaulting him unprovoked. The textbook entry stemmed from this ruling, IIRC: https://law.justia.com/cases/west-virginia/supreme-court/1990/19481-5.html

At some point after they started doing the Drive Thru as a regular free podcast, Steve's firm started sponsoring it, and Jim would sometimes have him on the main podcast if there was a law-related topic he and Brian wanted to discuss. At some point this evolved into Steve being his lawyer.

While the G-Raver thing sucked, I do believe Steve when he says that the intent was just to stop selling the shirts and that it got out of control when the indie merch guy working as Raver's lawyer wanted to push it further. (Especially since it was clear early on that there wasn't much money from sales of the shirts.) In the last several months I've come to believe that at his heart, Steve is a truly decent human who came off worse because Jim was his client. He's done a LOT more to help fight the Joey Ryan lawsuits than people realize, and that really counts in my book.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I've always been scared to watch this ever since I first heard what his booking plans were on it.

Also: Didn't he want a series of Russo-esque promos where Vince wanted everyone to SHOOT in their interpromotional matches and the wrestlers would rebel against him because they didn't want to have SHOOTING MATCHES? Or something like that.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

...can these people just...get a hobby or something?

(Plus I tweeted about it six months ago and it's been in my bio ever since.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Was Smoky Mountain traditionally considered to have good booking? I know they went the route of Continental and I'm sure many others and killed interest by not paying off stipulation matches and all which is probably my answer.
It's complicated.

He absolutely booked some quality stuff, especially the three-way Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Heavenly Bodies vs. Stud Stable feud, Ron Wright's run as Dirty White Boy's manager, and even Buddy Landel's babyface turn (the qualifier being because it was late in the run as Jim burnt out). He also went back on too many stipulations (the match where Tammy Sytch would be stripped nude and Ricky Morton losing a hair vs. Tammy's hair match to Candido where Candido got shaved being the most famous examples), he recycled a LOT of Memphis and Mid-South angles (albeit ones that hadn't been done in east Tennessee before), he didn't seem to have a great grasp of the region, anyway (both in terms of the rural mountain folk and the much more liberal city-dwellers), and when he started burning out, he burnt out badly. When he turned back heel in the spring of 1995, for example, to lead "The Militia" as General Jim Cornette, it was Eddie Gilbert in ECW level awkward Jerry Lawler cosplay, playing off Lawler's run in 1976 as General Jerry (and Danny Davis's run in 1979 as Sgt. Danny Davis where he managed the Blonde Bombers against Lawler).

This is without even getting into how there are very legitimate reasons to believe that The Gangstas gimmick was conceived entirely out of spite. This is the next to last paragraph of the infamous Cornette letter to the Torch about the riot at an SMW show at a college gym in Wise, Virginia (emphasis mine):

"Everyone seems to agree, though, that had racial slurs not been used, there would not have been a riot." BULLSHIT! If one security guard hadn't thought his job description included getting up in the heels' faces, pushing them around, and trying to look big in front of his friends, there wouldn't have been a riot. If this same student hadn't been allowed back in after being ejected to stir up more trouble, there wouldn't have been a riot. Racial slurs were not used to start the fight OR to get heat from the fans, they were used in the heat of an argument already in progress. If the guy had been a fat white man, I'd have called him a "fat, lardass bastard," but nobody would have written about it. I'm not a politician or a member of congress, so I don't HAVE to have a "stance on social issues," and I have enough problems of my own without minding everybody else's business, too. SMW has NEVER used one single angle based on anybody's race to try to draw a house, but you wouldn't know that by reading the Torch. If I decide to do one, you know what? I'll do it if I want to if I think it will draw.

Two and a half months later, New Jack works the undercard of a combined SMW/NGWA show in Marietta, Georgia. Two and a half months after THAT, the Gangstas gimmick was tested out on another combined SMW/NGWA show in Marietta. Five to six weeks after that, the Gangstas debuted in SMW proper.

All of that said: There's a LOT worth watching in SMW and all of the TV is easy to find on YouTube in excellent quality. Some stuff doesn't age well, of course, with the Confederate battle flag stuff being the most obvious, but there's a lot of good there. And if you've never seen it before, the best and most different stuff (especially everything Ron Wright did) is something you will probably enjoy.

But you should probably try to watch Continental stuff first.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I had no idea about that riot
We did a BTS talking about the fallout: https://redcircle.com/shows/f0ecb959-5108-4c52-b3e7-2d9f28e5847a/episodes/373bf8fa-ebeb-4f4b-8d39-5f82f7a884f2

It caused the Cornette/Wade Keller heat even though Wade literally did nothing wrong. It's well worth reading Wade's original Torch story about the riot because the sourcing is unusually bulletproof by wrestling reporting standards and pretty drat well-sourced by mainstream standards. I'd have to pull it back up to get the specifics, but he cited law enforcement spokespeople, named SMW sources including Brian Hildebrand, fan witnesses, and newspaper reporting on top of there being one or two anonymous SMW sources. (Though he didn't get comment from Cornette by deadline, he made his best efforts to try.) Even the arguable most contentious part of the story, it being characterized as a "race riot," was clearly outlined as being something that a cop on the scene said when radioing for assistance. It certainly *feels* like it's as simple as Cornette feeling Wade was enough of a friend (SMW merchandise catalogs had been sent out to the Torch mailing list earlier that year) that he didn't like him covering such an ugly SMW story.

In the last decade or two, Jim has claimed that the relationship went south because Wade ran a story saying SMW would be going out of business soon long before that was in the immediate future. I've never found a trace of such a story existing, but if you look up the various "Jim Cornette on Wade Keller" YouTube videos, that's his story in them. In actuality, it was probably a combination of the Wise fallout, his blowup with K.C. O'Connor (who had written for the Torch and was close with Bruce Mitchell), and Bruce Mitchell's Gangstas column several weeks before the K.C. thing. (Specifically, in trying to make a point about how the gimmick was problematic, he asked if the Gangstas would start bringing out chained up white women as their "hoes," specifically naming two women involved with SMW, including Jim's then-girlfriend, to hammer the point home. Bruce has always sworn that he got their permission beforehand, presumably with an assist from K.C. since he was working in the office.)

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, is that where that whole thing about Cornette dropping n-bombs comes from?
Yes. And though he's said a lot of lovely things since, he did seem genuine when he said a few years ago that he understood now that his reasoning in 1993 (that once he and the other guy were in a "cuss fight" he had to say the most hurtful thing possible) was stupid and he knows that no white person should ever use that word for any reason.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 1, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

having sat through 6+ hours of Raven's art of booking shoots, I can tell you that most self professed wrestling geniuses are tremendous idiots that you can boil down to 2 minutes worth of "smart" soundbytes.
The Cornette DVD from the same ROH Secrets of the Ring series may actually hold up, though, because it's by far the most focused one he ever did. It's the one with the "four groups of wrestling fans" speech.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Ringo Roadagain posted:

didn't bryan on a pretty recent show tell a story about meeting some old wrestler who everyone said had great psychology, but when bryan asked him a question about his match psychology he had no loving clue what bryan was talking about?
Haven't listened in a long time, but there's a story he used to tell about asking Buddy Rose to teach everyone something about ring psychology and Buddy was terrible at putting it into words. Some people just aren't good teachers.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DarkstarIV posted:

The actual context is so much worse. Brian Last asks if any woman should be removed from that match due to pregnancy, who should it be? Cornette mentions Asuka. He goes on his typical anti-asian rant afterwards and complains about how unfair it is to Charlotte that she didn't get on the Wrestlemania card.

That's ignoring his complaints about how Asuka is supposedly sabotaging Rhea's main roster career as well and is incredibly selfish. Which is pretty much peak :ironicat: considering Charlotte actually does that.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Why does he think Asuka is pregnant?

Is this a weird stereotype I don't get? A stupid inside joke that Cornette has been making? An insult, "she wrestles bad enough for two", kind of deal?
You had the same response to this summary that I did. I really don't want to listen but I also really want to understand what the hell is going on here so I don't ever have to waste brain power on it again.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DarkstarIV posted:

Jim hates Asuka and keeps intentionally calling her Chinese.
...when did THAT start? That feels new.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Invalid Validation posted:

I wish he was trying to knock off South Park because it would have a style at least. That poo poo is just plain bad.
Yeah, I have no reason to be charitable to Travis, but outside of the stuff with direct South Park references, I don't think that's what he's going for. I think it's as simple as when he started doing these weird sketches for me and Brian for 6:05, it was a matter of what he could throw together quickly, since he's absolutely a talented artist. (All of his "X in the style of Hanna-Barbera" stuff is dead on, for example.) So the ways in which it's not especially good artistically are by design, tonal and subject matter awfulness aside.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 19, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I hate to admit it but I'm vaguely curious if they at least acknowledged the positives of the Gage DSotR episode while hating the subject matter. I really, really don't want to touch the poop, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Adam touched some of the poop so we didn't have to and BOY is this ill-advised on Jim's part.
https://twitter.com/Adam_N_Yeary/status/1396294760923639811

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

...who thinks he's WWE Champion?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1401555819104292872
https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1401557865182212108

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

KarloffsSidekick posted:

On his "Review" of the DSotR episode, he's started it angry at people on Twitter accusing the wrestlers of covering for him/ knowing more than they are letting on. Likened it to Jeffrey Dahmer's co-workers at the Candy Factory of covering for him because they didn't know he was going home eating people after work. Except he's been telling "Grizz stories" solidly for years, so obviously knew him better than to wave hello to on the way to the breakroom.

He's also not mentioned the fact that Jake told the story of being the product of his father assaulting and impregnating his 12 year old Stepdaughter, and Robin has told of being a victim of her father for years too (I'm trying not to use upsetting language, but you know what I'm calling him here). So even if he was as oblivious as he claims, then he's known at least for 20 years that he was a child abuser and has still continued to speak highly of him until this day.
Not defending him or Brian, but I listened to this to see how he reacted and while they didn't outright mention Paula's age, they did talk about the Beyond The Mat revelations in a way that seemingly assumed knowledge among the audience because it was a major motion picture and her age was mentioned in the episode. And he gave the impression that people around wrestling didn't know any of Grizzly's wives, so they wouldn't have had any idea of the age gap unless someone told them. (Also: Paula's mom wasn't married to Grizzly, but that's not important.)

(As an aside: If you ever need to touch a poop on YouTube while logged in, just giving it a thumbs down seems to keep it from messing up your recommendations.)

Also:

* There's a conversation to be had about how much of the unspoken subtext in the segment was seemingly rooted in how many of the "arena rats" (as he put it) were underage. (Post-pubescent, but underage—not that I'm defending it, but it felt like that was the distinction being made). How that's why he (and maybe others) assumed that the jokes about Grizzly being a nonce were about part of his job literally being getting to know all of the groupies so he could get information from them.

* Again, not to defend Jim or anyone else who it seems should have realized what was up, but we do need to be realistic about the fact that the grooming process is also about normalizing odd behavior to people who Grizzly/a given predator *wasn't* victimizing. Is Jim saying what he's saying in light of what he admitted being privy to a bit ridiculous? Yes. But are there real reasons why people disregarded what we see now as obvious red flags? Yes, because Grizzly was a ridiculously calculating predator who would try to make his victims complicit in his abuse of other children as the victims in his family (based on the Dark Side episode, Robin and her mom) got older and surely did all sorts of calculating poo poo to groom bystanders as well. And though Grizzly clearly liked having Bob Sweetan around as his child rapist buddy, it doesn't really feel like Grizzly wasn't going around telling people "I WOULD LIKE TO gently caress THAT CHILD OVER THERE!" like Sweetan was. But the fact that Sweetan, per Jim Ross's first book, was doing stuff like that and clearly a favorite of Grizzly's...that should have given more context to Grizzly's "odd" behavior, so...yeah.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

I would give almost anyone else the benefit of the doubt. Jim has not earned that.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

from what cornette described and from what's in that vice episode it sounds like a ton of people should have known better in retrospect. baby doll talks about being in the car with him and underage girls whose parents actually trusted grizzly.

it is kind of like jimmy saville in that there were rumors and evidence all around people and everyone was like nah, not jimmy - although in his case it was way more egregious when you consider everything that came to light.
Yeah, I think these are both fair takes. Jim hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt, but I don't want anyone to lose sight of the fact the the "we didn't know!" stuff isn't AS ridiculous as it sounds on the surface. Grizzly groomed everyone. Like with Jerry Grey previously when he discussed Grizzly on 6:05 with Brian, Baby Doll in the DSotR episode basically said "well, yeah, it's obvious now and I feel stupid for not realizing exactly what was up when I was riding with him."

I'll add this from one of my comments in the Reddit thread about the DSotR episode:

The unfortunate reality of child sexual abuse in that era is that there was a dangerous mix of people either being blissfully unaware that it wasn't self-evident to everyone that it was a bad thing or being way, way too OK with it. And not even necessarily in a sinister way with the latter: It's only in the last 40 years or so that the mental health profession recognizes that children can be traumatized. It was long assumed that they just...didn't retain trauma and bad stuff just rolled off them. (I'm not kidding. The child abuse episode of You're Wrong About does an excellent job of going over this.) And since so many people just ignored the idea that people were capable of such committing such horrific acts on children—whether their own kids or not—there were years of grey area with regards to how the law viewed child sexual abuse material. (CSAM has become the preferred term to "child pornography" for reasons that should be obvious.)

It sounds like a ridiculous comparison on the surface, but the closest analogue I can think of is how Trump quickly exposed that a ton of stuff that everyone thought curbed abuse of the office of the presidency, like the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution, was effectively unenforceable ceremonial nonsense that existed mainly as a norm and nothing more. Nobody considered that a time would come where we needed to make Trump-level self-dealing as President more overtly criminal. Just like nobody considered that you would need to make sexual contact with children—or photographing/filming it—overtly criminal.

When Jim Cornette and Jerry Grey went to Mid-South a few months apart at the end of 1983 into very early 1984, the Protection of Children Against Sexual Exploitation Act of 1977 was just a few years old. The SCOTUS ruling in New York v. Ferber, which established that CSAM was illegal even if it didn't fail the Miller Test for obscenity, was less than 2 years old. The Child Protection Act of 1984, which broadened the definition of "child pornography" under federal law and made it so that nonprofit distribution was explicitly illegal, would be passed in May of that year, while Jim and Jerry were in Mid-South with Grizzly. As insane as it sounds, even the most ridiculously loving obvious ways of dealing with child molesters were just...not really standard yet. Hell, think about how much Very Online people—and to a lesser extent, the general public, have learned about sexual violence in the last 5 years alone. There were numerous mainstream news stories about how to stop the burgeoning scourge of "child pornography"—this was when it was disturbingly easy to find at adult bookstores and some even advertised that they carried "kiddie porn"—DEEP into the 1970s. And a non-trivial amount of them had sections that "bothsides"ed the issue. Yeah.

It's all deeply lovely and horrifying, but it needs to be understood how ridiculously naive the vast majority of Americans used to be about child abuse in general, even as recently as Gen X-ers were coming of age. Even if more so for general context about the topic. Cornette shared enough that his pleas do sound ridiculous, even if there was probably was a legit state of denial on his part when he was around Grizzly regularly. But they'd sound a lot more ridiculous if he was describing the same things but shifted a decade later into 1994 and somewhat less ridiculous if he was describing the same things shifted a decade earlier into 1974.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Feels like it's only a matter of time before CAnon grows into full QAnon once Jim peddles around some BS connecting Kenny to an imaginary child trafficking ring by the (global) Elite—he already made up garbage about Kenny grooming younger wrestlers and poo poo before, right?
Yes, he has.

Omega is 100% right that Jim needs to tone down the rhetoric. (And he clearly doesn't mean "saying AEW is bad," he means things like basically calling him a child molester.) Brian is absolutely right, in vacuum, that Omega needs to disassociate himself from Callis for the reasons mentioned in the tweet, but he's also completely deflecting there and using something that serious to for that reason is complete bullshit. At least he didn't do anything to out the purported accuser this time.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 11, 2021

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Long-Time Lurker posted:

I, admittedly, hadn't heard anything about the Don Callis allegation and chalked it up as another CAnon made-up thing. How serious is the accusation?
I have to be very careful here, but at this point it's being shouted so loud—with Brian having also referenced having the emails at the center of it in the past, making it obvious what existing story he's referring to—that I'd rather provide whatever information I can than not try to explain it at all.

First there was this: https://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/wwe/exclusive-impact-investigation-involving-work-place-sexual-harassment

Fightful independently confirmed it: https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/report-impact-wrestling-official-investigated-sexual-harassment

Then Kris Levin got permission from the accuser(s) to give this interview explaining how he was seemingly aced out of his Impact refereeing gig for giving an interview to the "outside HR expert/investigator" that favored the accuser's case, which also includes some extra details I was able to provide: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/06/kris-levin-questions-legitimacy-of-recent-impact-wrestling-671970/

What I guess I can add now is that there are a lot of people in and around wrestling who have seen the key emails to the "HR investigator" with the accusations. (At one point, I think there were a lot less, because I was being pointed to privately as someone who could give the lay of the land to people in Impact who wanted to know the score.) But without the involvement of the accuser(s), my hands are tied reporting-wise, both in general and because the vast majority of the accusations would be difficult to relay without the accuser's identity being obvious. And regardless of who was or wasn't accused, it was Callis's (and D'Amore's) shop where this went on and seemingly swept under the rug.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

I also definitely read that as a professional journalist reaching out to a "professional historian" professionally and then getting rebuked by Jim being insane.
I guarantee you that's exactly how Dave looked at it.

It's not exactly a secret that, for reasons that have never been explained to me (as far as what set it off on his end), Dave and I had not gotten along for the last couple years. When Tom Cole died, knowing that the Observer obituary would be among most enduring records of the ring boy scandal, I called Dave and left a voicemail basically laying out how, with that in mind, I hoped he could set aside whatever poo poo was going on for the greater good. He did. We ended up going over a lot of important Cole stuff for over an hour, I sent him a bunch of documents, and we've been talking shop again pretty regularly since then. (Even if that wasn't my goal, I kind of suspected what the Cornette thing today kind of proved to me: That Dave appreciated the gesture and it changed his perspective.) I keep forgetting to set up a "clear the air" call with him—he's said enough stuff that I can't really explain that we need to set straight—but yes, whatever Dave's faults are, he's someone who generally feels that personal beefs shouldn't get in the way of important reporting, stuff that will be used for historical reference, etc.

(It also seems like, more broadly, he has a somewhat improved perception of who is and isn't a troll as of late.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

At what point is it felt that Cornette really went off the deep end?
There have been good answers, but it's complicated.

It genuinely seemed like he mellowed out for a long stretch. So much of the worst poo poo was, while not an excuse, seemingly stress-induced, and the specificity of a lot of his political rants—as in he had been very specific about racial justice and police brutality, for starters, not just shitlib stuff—suggested that he had changed dramatically from the guy who said all of the awful poo poo he had said during the SMW era. Of course, it's more complicated than that, but it's probably not a coincidence that, with his dramatically increased travel schedule at the time as well as his father-in-law's illness, his stress levels when AEW launched were probably the highest they'd been in at least several years.

That said, there were obviously tons of red flags that plenty of people, myself included, ignored for way too long.

Regardless, the whole "willing to burn decades-long friendships over what pro wrestling they like" think is, as far as I know, a wholly recent development. So it's really a matter of what you consider "off the deep end," but "the last 26 months" is absolutely one of the acceptable answers.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 19, 2021