Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

And just a few weeks ago he said some much worse stuff about her so hopefully Miro makes him piss his pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Kajemyster/status/1370859697809498113

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

For what it's worth (gently caress all) I reported his last tweet for abuse.

If more people reported Jim's abusive tweets and racist videos it might start making a difference.

MJeff posted:

Also, just cause I see a couple posts to this effect on this page, don't beat yourself up too much if you used to listen to him and enjoy what he said. Like Bix said here,

His content actually used to be worth listening to, and then he decided to become a horrible fun house mirror version of himself for money. Was he probably always that bad of a person underneath? Yeah. But how could we have been expected to know that from listening to fun stories of him burying Bill Watts?

His anti-Muslim rant was in 2014.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

You think he has the reflexes for that?

I mean I think you could just rush the guy with a baseball bat and it'd be over pretty drat fast.

And he advocated for bombing civilians in 2001, I'm operating under the assumption that people who enjoyed his old wrestling stories didn't know about that stuff.

One was on an OVW show no one watched, the other was on the very podcast we are discussing and led to one of his cohosts quitting. It was widely talked about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

Jim usually gets less than 50k views for his videos.

To put that in context, John Silver has 57k views for recreating a scene from The Sandlot with Marko Stunt.

He gets comparable numbers of viewers to the comedy engineering podcast Well There's Your Problem. He's already nobody.

I've heard people saying that talking about Cornette signal boosts him and I just don't see the evidence. Even looking at google search data yeah he had the huge boost for Double or Nothing but since then interest has been declining, getting little boosts here and there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Me: What kind of people like Jim Cornette in 2021?

https://twitter.com/MichaelMaiello/status/1371222593592758277

Oh.

https://twitter.com/MichaelMaiello/status/1371227973706264577

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

hate speech? how so?

If enough people report stuff on social media that has hateful speech in it eventually those sites do something if the person isn't really that important.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

personally i think hate speech is a serious thing and shouldn't be conflated with a retired wrestling promoter talking poo poo on my favorite aew wrestlers but this is the wrestling forum and wrestling is for babies i guess

How about all of the actual hate speech Jim Cornette repeats against Muslims, trans people, gay people and women?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

well now the muslim rant probably definitely fits the criteria for hate speech. you also left out the n word stuff. the penelope ford stuff? not so much.

Unfortunately for you social media platforms do think repeatedly insulting women in the manner he did in that video counts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Now here is some real Cornette content. Click the thread for more weird stuff on the shelf.

https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1372180271026540551

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
My grandmother's mantle but decorated by a 13 year old boy from Kentucky is the funniest aesthetic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kunabomber posted:

He's a psychotic note taker that literally has details like the gate numbers for every event he's ever been tangentially a part of. He might be the only person from that era that actually remembers what the hell happened.

And yet he is so blatantly dishonest how can anyone trust him to tell the truth?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I like this guy posting half a dozen times that it's not racist just sexist.

https://twitter.com/Marc_Geer/status/1383492978484813831

https://twitter.com/Marc_Geer/status/1383491319624998914

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DarkstarIV posted:

So Jim apparently reviewed the Asuka/Rhea match from Wrestlemania and it's brought out all of the lovely people. He assigned pretty much all of the blame onto Asuka (and basically claimed she is at fault for everything going wrong with Rhea), and gushed about Rhea and how perfect she is.

Is there a term to describe those who defend Cornette? Because I've seen people defend him by saying he's not racist at all. And when people bring up the NWA situation from a few years ago, "oh that's old can we move past that already!?" even though he never apologized for it and claimed it actually wasn't racist.

They call themselves the Cult of Cornette.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Doesn't Brian even get on him for the Asuka stuff because there's zero way to even TRY to fit her into his weird anti-Japanese women ranting? (That her entire run in WWE has been as a violent, believable, and physically strong rear end kicker, unlike Riho being too tiny and ineffectual or whatever.)

It would make sense that a huge piece of poo poo like Brian Last would try to argue a minor point like that as he ignores all the other stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If AEW beats the next season of South Park in the ratings Jim Cornette will vanish in a puff of smoke.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

...wasn't the fire dance entrance done only once or twice, and even then, only using the fire dance troupe consisting of Joe's immediate family?

I think it was done at BFG 2005 and then one more time after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe seemed proud of the BFG entrance and his only complaint I've heard about the match is it had to be so short.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it seemed like an actually good way to acknowledge Joe's heritage and cultural background without making him a caricature and doing something to make their big PPV seem special.

Oh poo poo, that was the one with Liger, right? Yeah, I get the idea they were going for, given Joe was being pushed as this unstoppable monster, but him and Liger going 20+ mins would've been rad.

It was because the show had to be changed up because Nash pulled out of the main event and they needed to add a title shot battle royal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Cornette is blaming the dance on Russo, even if for some reason Joe did not want to do it in TNA against all other evidence that he liked it... Russo wasn't booking TNA in October of 2005 when he first did it there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I thought we all mostly agreed the thumbnail was still racist as hell and were just deciding if Jim is lying too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kunabomber posted:

Take 10 minutes to watch Gorgeous George and you'd know that silly gimmick characters have been part of this carny business since the very beginning.

Ok I did and all I heard was a bunch of goons flushing toilets and making fat jokes???

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Doing Funk vs Undertaker is fine if you have a big WWF vs WCW event planned and think "Hey, Sting vs Undertaker would have a lot of mystique that isn't just brand vs brand, we can do that next year."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Was Smoky Mountain traditionally considered to have good booking? I know they went the route of Continental and I'm sure many others and killed interest by not paying off stipulation matches and all which is probably my answer.

Yes it was. Smoky Mountain as a pretty innovative promotion for its time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

People think psychology is boring because boring wrestlers claim they're doing psychology.

People think psychology is boring because psychology is an excuse by boring wrestler to be boring. It doesn't exist, wrestling matches are about doing cool moves and acting like a bad rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

That’s def a part of psychology. Something small like how after RVD would hit the five star frog splash he would immediately grab his stomach and sell it because it creates a sense of tension on if he can make the cover or not. There’s so many little parts of psychology that goes into matches that the fans are never supposed to actually think about. Just little logical things that help people buy into a match more. A lot of wrestling reviewers and old timers just kind of use it nebulously and don’t fully understand what it actually is though.

That's actually called "selling." It "puts over" (industry term) how dangerous or bad rear end a move is. It's how you combine "doing cool moves" with "acting like a bad rear end."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WatermelonGun posted:

seriously what is going in here

His twitter is funny and a lot of people don't remember or don't know the history of a guy who's hey day was 30 years ago.

Same way a lot of people talk about how cool Macho Man was and what a storybook romance he had with Elizabeth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WatermelonGun posted:

the entire point of this thread is to obsess over whatever dumb poo poo comes out of a miserable dude’s mouth who hasn’t been relevant in about 40 and everyone can just google the famous lovely baseball player instead of acting like a defensive penis, dude

You asked a question and I answered it. Why are you upset?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

You had the same response to this summary that I did. I really don't want to listen but I also really want to understand what the hell is going on here so I don't ever have to waste brain power on it again.

Brian makes a joke about who will be removed due to pregnancy and Cornette picks Asuka.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Cornette spent the most time around Grizzly in Mid South, where Corny was constantly on the road being worked to death by Bill Watts and dealing with crazy fans. It's possible that he may have been too exhausted to put two and two together. That complicates his tendency to forgive/overlook the hosed up antisocial behavior of old school wrestlers unless he personally dislikes them, though.

JR noticed it enough that he talks about it in his book.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Unperson_47 posted:

Imagine getting radicalized by Jim Cornette into rushing a stage hoping he notices you

Jim Cornette wants so badly to be Trump but his followers couldn't even breach the sacred ground of the AEW ring while the Q Anon Shaman was able to run the US Capitol.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
As I go through 2004 ROH again I keep thinking about what a shame it is that Cornette is the way he is. If he were open minded he'd maybe be less racist, but he could also be a really beloved figure in non WWE wrestling. The angles he does with the Midnight Express and Heenan are a lot of fun. But as he starts to really lose his mind in the aughts he becomes this sad shell of himself... and more of a bigot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Film people who say Marvel movies are ruining cinema is probably a good (and real) equivalent too lol. And just like Jim and his parliament of crummy old men's own involvement in bad wrestling, some of them were even involved in making garbage worse than the average superhero blockbuster too (like Stephen Dorff).

gently caress Jim Cornette is right about everything :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

At what point is it felt that Cornette really went off the deep end?

I would say the anti-Muslim rant in 2014, but you could easily say the email he wrote to Terry Taylor after he got fired from TNA about fantasizing to kill Russo. He'd obviously done deranged stuff before then, but he seemed to have the awareness to pull back when he went too far and save face. I feel like he still realized that after the email incident. But it was clear in 2014 he did not give a poo poo anymore. He was going to make his occupation "rant guy" and didn't care about his reputation, career prospects or anything. If he cost him co-hosts, jobs, friendships, he was going to be as racist, sexist, homophobic and dishonest as he wanted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love when Dave calls Cornette a shock jock, time for him to be covered on Shocktober.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

He's still a reliable historian, as far as I know he was sober his entire career which was a rarity from his era. But he's still a piece of poo poo and his head exploded somewhere in the mid 90's when he stopped recording history.

He's making up poo poo quite regularly so he is in fact, not a reliable historian.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

I think the old straight shooting series with Bobby Heenan was really good.

The first two are good the third one with them touring Jim's collection isn't that great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

How much has he made poo poo up in the "Historian Jim" role, though? I don't trust him at all as Shock Jock Jim, but I don't recall him obfuscating much when wearing the historian hat.

Was he historian Jim or shock jock Jim when he was talking about Samoa Joe not liking to do the entrance dance in TNA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

I've said it before but I hate Cornette's artist much more than I hate Cornette.

His lovely South Park art is very bad and it is fitting he's a Soros Conspiracy guy. Just the total package right there.