Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

This is definitely true, as evidenced by his fury that Nyla Rose wasn't booked with a "I've got an unfair advantage because I'm trans" gimmick.

oh god, I'm pretty sure that a trans wrestler given this gimmick would just quit. Jesus, I hadn't heard this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Lamuella posted:

oh god, I'm pretty sure that a trans wrestler given this gimmick would just quit. Jesus, I hadn't heard this one.

I'm pretty sure he also, as a part of that, suggested that the other members of the roster should be giving her poo poo about her unfair advantage and harping on about it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'm pretty sure he also, as a part of that, suggested that the other members of the roster should be giving her poo poo about her unfair advantage and harping on about it.

More like Jim Mumsnet at this point

(one there for the britposters)

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Wasn't his plan for FTR vs the Bucks to be FTR going against the script, completely no selling the Bucks and going into business for themselves. I'd assume that he must realise that in coming up with that he has become the man he hates most at this point, but I don't believe he's that aware.

However, I am sure he must have gone through the roof when Cash missed the springboard 450 at the end of what was a fantastic match.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

God-drat

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm sure it pisses him off that the Bucks don't wrestle matches like The Rock-N-Roll Express, where Matt gets the poo poo kicked out of him for ten minutes before making a hot tag to Nick, and instead wrestle matches where they go toe-to-toe with their opponents.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

I'm sure it pisses him off that the Bucks don't wrestle matches like The Rock-N-Roll Express, where Matt gets the poo poo kicked out of him for ten minutes before making a hot tag to Nick, and instead wrestle matches where they go toe-to-toe with their opponents.

What actually pisses him off is that the Bucks aren't Memphis guys from the 70s, since Jim will defend every stupid thing they did until his dying breath. Jerry Lawler wrestled knock off versions of Frankenstein and Darth Vader when he was booking, that's way dumber than anything Omega or Orange Cassidy have done.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

What always gets me about the "[unrealistic thing] is killing the business" argument is that uh...

we all know it's not real. And we're all investing a suspension of disbelief when we watch shows. And crucially we invest a different level into different shows.

You have to suspend more disbelief for a Chikara show or a TJPW show than for Bloodsport or UWF, but you're still suspending disbelief. Some people find the amount they have to suspend for Chikara to be more than they are willing to do. Likewise some people find Bloodsport etc to be too close to just worked MMA for their tastes. To pretend one is killing the business and the other isn't is just silly.

It's like with TV drama. You have to suspend more belief to watch Wandavision than to watch Line Of Duty, because Wandavision is both more fantastical and more self aware of being a television show. But you also have to suspend disbelief for Line Of Duty because, well, these are actors pretending to be cops rather than cops.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

What always gets me about the "[unrealistic thing] is killing the business" argument is that uh...

That's what get me; Cornette doesn't even realize his whole role as manager requires an insane amount of disbelief. Like, can you imagine any other sport allowing a team/competitor to interfere in a contest, and there's no reprisals for it? Like the league wouldn't fine him? Suspend him? Fire him for interfering? The whole "The Ref decision is final" wouldn't be thrown out if it was shown someone was cheating? Like if Mike Tyson won all his fights because Don King kept throwing powder into his opponent's eyes, the boxing commission would throw up their hands and say "Welp, nothing we can do! Ref didn't see it."

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
The olds and old-adjacent constantly whining about anything "killing/exposing the business" when the business has been exposed for decades just makes wrestling look even lamer to outsiders imo. It's just so pathetic.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

we all know it's not real. And we're all investing a suspension of disbelief when we watch shows. And crucially we invest a different level into different shows.

You have to suspend more disbelief for a Chikara show or a TJPW show than for Bloodsport or UWF, but you're still suspending disbelief. Some people find the amount they have to suspend for Chikara to be more than they are willing to do. Likewise some people find Bloodsport etc to be too close to just worked MMA for their tastes. To pretend one is killing the business and the other isn't is just silly.

It's like with TV drama. You have to suspend more belief to watch Wandavision than to watch Line Of Duty, because Wandavision is both more fantastical and more self aware of being a television show. But you also have to suspend disbelief for Line Of Duty because, well, these are actors pretending to be cops rather than cops.

I feel like it's the difference between thinking "The Business" is a scam where you work marks and an art form that uses kayfabe to blend reality. The first guys think they need you to think it's real, the second set realize that even if you're making the entire world your stage you sometimes step off stage.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Long-Time Lurker posted:

The olds and old-adjacent constantly whining about anything "killing/exposing the business" when the business has been exposed for decades just makes wrestling look even lamer to outsiders imo. It's just so pathetic.

it really hasn't tho? People don't chant bump and feed or whatever. They come and cheer on their faves and boo their rivals. A great time is had by all except for crummy old men who are mad because their rapey hordes aren't venerated.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Long-Time Lurker posted:

This. It makes everyone look like that fuckin "it's still real to me!" guy.

coconono posted:

it really hasn't tho? People don't chant bump and feed or whatever. They come and cheer on their faves and boo their rivals. A great time is had by all except for crummy old men who are mad because their rapey hordes aren't venerated.

They know it's fake though. No one goes "wow this is great script writing!" in a movie if the movie is good, they go "oh no Tony Stark just died I'm so sad." Cornette wants us to instead think Tony Stark is real and actually died.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

only if Tony Stark is intimately familiar with Corny's hottub

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

They know it's fake though. No one goes "wow this is great script writing!" in a movie if the movie is good

What? Yes they do. I'm pretty sure I have had discussions about the quality of a given films writing with you personally.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

What? Yes they do. I'm pretty sure I have had discussions about the quality of a given films writing with you personally.

If in the moment while watching the movie you are thinking about any aspect of it's production, it's failed. Afterwards, yes. But in the moment you should not be thinking about the writer instead of the characters and story.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Write for-ev-er *clap clap clapclapclap*

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
ok

forever

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I’ve always thought it would be funnier if you reversed it and actors started acting like wrestlers. Conan asks some marvel actor what filming with special effects was like and they tell him to shut the gently caress up and buy a ticket, mark

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Film people who say Marvel movies are ruining cinema is probably a good (and real) equivalent too lol. And just like Jim and his parliament of crummy old men's own involvement in bad wrestling, some of them were even involved in making garbage worse than the average superhero blockbuster too (like Stephen Dorff).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Robert Downey Jr calling Chris Pratt a jabronie. That's high tier TV.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Knowing what a video camera looks like makes you a smark

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Film people who say Marvel movies are ruining cinema is probably a good (and real) equivalent too lol. And just like Jim and his parliament of crummy old men's own involvement in bad wrestling, some of them were even involved in making garbage worse than the average superhero blockbuster too (like Stephen Dorff).

gently caress Jim Cornette is right about everything :(

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The biggest work in the history of wrestling has been old wrestlers convincing themselves that "People thought it was real!"

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It's still real to that one guy, damnit!
And if it ain't worth it for that dude then I don't know what is.
-James Mark Cornette

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Long-Time Lurker posted:

there’s a legitimate argument that the dominance of the Marvel model has severely reduced the stylistic diversity of Hollywood filmmaking, to the detriment of the art form as a whole. There are fewer and fewer big budget non-Cinematic Universe films released each year.

Whereas with wrestling there is more professionally produced high level wrestling, of diverse styles, than there has been in over 20 years

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Lamuella posted:

This thread was worth having just for this post.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

there’s a legitimate argument that the dominance of the Marvel model has severely reduced the stylistic diversity of Hollywood filmmaking, to the detriment of the art form as a whole. There are fewer and fewer big budget non-Cinematic Universe films released each year.

Whereas with wrestling there is more professionally produced high level wrestling, of diverse styles, than there has been in over 20 years

On the other hand the Marvel model provides money to be used as working capital for small directors to make passion projects after delivering a huge film like Thor Ragnarok.

Delivering a good MCU project also gives the director the clout to pitch something more out there and have it be green lit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Marvel movie being the norm would be less worrying if it wasn't also being followed by Disney trying to buy up every Movie studio and the rest of the big budget movies if they aren't chasing Marvel are just endless sequels/remakes

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Not that I'm a big fan of the MCU (I think the vast majority of them are mediocre), but Hollywood blockbusters have been terrible way before the MCU became the standard for that particular type of filmmaking. I'm sure it's about to reach a point of audience fatigue too--even the most vanilla moviegoers are going "Marvel is the McDonald's of movies" now. I do see your point though.

Perhaps the oft-repeated "streaming is ruining cinema" is the better analogue then? Indies, mid-budget mainstream fare, arthouse, international stuff, pretty much anything of varying levels of quality are all fairly distributed and easier to access than ever via streaming now.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The main thing I think of that truly “exposed the business” would be WCW where they would talk about going off script, or they’d have a wrestler punch someone, then reveal they were allied and I guess the punch was a worked punch because it’s wrestling!

Everything else is fine as long as it follows an internal logic, if the Undertaker wants to ascend to heaven then that’s fine. So lmao that Cornette wanted FTR to go off script and actually be king exposer.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Marvel movie being the norm would be less worrying if it wasn't also being followed by Disney trying to buy up every Movie studio and the rest of the big budget movies if they aren't chasing Marvel are just endless sequels/remakes

We're watching Disney do its version of Vince killing the territories.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Everyone that thinks movies have been ruined by Marvel clearly wasn't alive for the mid-late 90s

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

cagliostr0 posted:

On the other hand the Marvel model provides money to be used as working capital for small directors to make passion projects after delivering a huge film like Thor Ragnarok.

Delivering a good MCU project also gives the director the clout to pitch something more out there and have it be green lit.

Okay, so: Disney didn’t pay for Jojo Rabbit, Fox Searchlight picked it up as a rare project to both co-produce themselves as well as distribute off the back of the reception of Taika’s other indie projects before Thor Ragnarok was even fully in production, before anyone knew it would be a hit instead of a wet fart like the previous two movies, well before Disney bought their parent company - and in fact, with the movie releasing after Disney had purchased it, there was a moment that Disney considered shelving or selling off the distribution of the movie because of the fact that Taika had cracked Thor as a movie character and the idea of their Thor guy having made a movie with Hitler as a comedy sidekick character made them uncomfortable.

The “big movies pay for small movies!” line has and always will be horseshit, all a big movie being a success does is tell the MBAs that run studios now that “people want more big movies!”, which in turn forces filmmakers to go even further out to find funding to make anything that doesn’t have a toy line already lined up to stock shelves by a very specific date.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The first Thor was a solidly underrated movie, and the only one that gave Loki an actual character beyond Cackling Supervillain

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DeathChicken posted:

The first Thor was a solidly underrated movie, and the only one that gave Loki an actual character beyond Cackling Supervillain
The TV series gives him his character back so it's ok.

And as long as Disney/Marvel keep making good movies I don't really care, at least they're willing to go to new franchises instead of just sticking to Iron Man/Captain America

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

keithy george posted:

The main thing I think of that truly “exposed the business” would be WCW where they would talk about going off script, or they’d have a wrestler punch someone, then reveal they were allied and I guess the punch was a worked punch because it’s wrestling!
Thanks for reminding me how truly awful the Russo Era of WCW was, especially with the heavy use of insider terms on television, which was dumb considering a large segment of the audience didn't follow backstage news on the Internet.

Like, this is somewhat comparing apples to oranges since they were completely different eras of WCW, but when Pillman said "I respect you, booker" long before I discovered the dirtsheets, I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Marvel movies aren't killing movies any more than the billon westerns from the fifties and sixties, or the billion cop movies in the seventies or eighties, or the billion erotic thrillers in the 90s. This poo poo goes in cycles and trends.

The Disney buying everything part is an issue but it's separate.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The terrible movie discourse on this page has given me osteoporosis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
can't even escape marvel discourse in the thread about the tennis racket bigot