Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

But he didn't put you on TV, Jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Guys, I figured it out.

• Big head
  • Throws tantrums
  • Army of simps

Cornette hates Itoh because she's stealing his brand.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

The bullets are on point, but nobody has ever considered Jimmy the cutest of anything, especially the world.

She's doing his gimmick better than him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The sad thing is he's not anything like as influential as Limbaugh. He's increasingly deranged and powerless and the more that intensifies the less he can cope with it, to the point where sooner or later he's going to say something so vile he gets kicked offline.

He's professional wrestling's Graham Linehan.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jim usually gets less than 50k views for his videos.

To put that in context, John Silver has 57k views for recreating a scene from The Sandlot with Marko Stunt.

He gets comparable numbers of viewers to the comedy engineering podcast Well There's Your Problem. He's already nobody.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I've heard people saying that talking about Cornette signal boosts him and I just don't see the evidence. Even looking at google search data yeah he had the huge boost for Double or Nothing but since then interest has been declining, getting little boosts here and there.

hence him going to the diminishing returns of saying more and more controversial things and less and less people caring.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I genuinely hate South Park Guy more than Cornette

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Haas looks like what would happen if you tried to sculpt Tom Lawlor out of spam.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kip is 100% her himbo arm candy valet.

Kip vs Every Joshi has always been AEW's best feud.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Pylons posted:

I'm the can of fart spray.

No, Jim is.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vandar posted:

It never ends.

Holy loving poo poo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm more familiar with the UK side than the US side, but in British wrestling comedy was always always part of the bill. As far back as the fifties and sixties someone like Les Kellett was simultaneously regarded as one of the toughest men to ever get in the ring and one of the funniest. When someone like Colt Cabana talks about drawing inspiration from World Of Sport, he's talking about the incredible athleticism of people like Johnny Saint, but he's also talking about the comedy of Les Kellett and Leon Arras. Making 'em laugh was always part of the job.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Kenny Olivier is him referencing Lawrence Olivier cause Kenny is just "play acting like a wrestler" and using a man who is widely considered a master at his craft as an insult being stupid never occurred to Jim.

If someone were to compare my skill at my profession to a man who was so good at his craft that he was literally made a baron because of it, I gotta tell you, I'd be burned real bad.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

iirc Ric Flair once told Mick Foley to his face that everything he did in the ring was garbage and he'd be in a wheelchair by the time he was thirty.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jesus loving Christ.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

When I think about Asuka the first thing that springs to mind is how little charisma she has.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Considering the various forms of abominable poo poo that this thread's namesake has done, "liking Randy Orton" isn't a particularly egregious thing to lay at JR's door.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the best ways I heard it put was that abusers don't just groom children. They groom everyone around the child.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

That would involve ever thinking about him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Zombie Lemur posted:

They may not have pressed charges until they saw how batshit his social media was.

Yeah, something like

"I'm sorry, my excitement got the better of me"

"okay, well if you promise not to do it again we won't press charges"

"YEEAH, THIS IS A REVOLUTION!"

"All right, so we're pressing charges"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CaptainApathyUK posted:

This is definitely true, as evidenced by his fury that Nyla Rose wasn't booked with a "I've got an unfair advantage because I'm trans" gimmick.

oh god, I'm pretty sure that a trans wrestler given this gimmick would just quit. Jesus, I hadn't heard this one.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I'm pretty sure he also, as a part of that, suggested that the other members of the roster should be giving her poo poo about her unfair advantage and harping on about it.

More like Jim Mumsnet at this point

(one there for the britposters)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

What always gets me about the "[unrealistic thing] is killing the business" argument is that uh...

we all know it's not real. And we're all investing a suspension of disbelief when we watch shows. And crucially we invest a different level into different shows.

You have to suspend more disbelief for a Chikara show or a TJPW show than for Bloodsport or UWF, but you're still suspending disbelief. Some people find the amount they have to suspend for Chikara to be more than they are willing to do. Likewise some people find Bloodsport etc to be too close to just worked MMA for their tastes. To pretend one is killing the business and the other isn't is just silly.

It's like with TV drama. You have to suspend more belief to watch Wandavision than to watch Line Of Duty, because Wandavision is both more fantastical and more self aware of being a television show. But you also have to suspend disbelief for Line Of Duty because, well, these are actors pretending to be cops rather than cops.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Duke Pukem posted:

I dont think he has really changed, he was always like this. The business just got less carny

I thing this is exactly it. He's like those optical illusions where the same colour can register as white against a dark background or black against a light one. In the eighties and nineties there were so many people so much worse than him that he seemed reasonable (there's a reason he's a contributor to Dark Side Of The Ring rather than a subject). As the industry has changed and he hasn't, his opinions and attitudes have seemed less acceptable.

Plus, of course, he is absolutely playing to a crowd.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

When Cornette was running Ohio Valley Wrestling, Booker T main evented one of their shows.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"can't promo one bit" is the part that really nails down that this guy has never seen Nick Gage actually work.

Like, I can understand if people don't like deathmatches they will probably not like his natural style. If they're blinkered they may interpret that as him not being able to work. But Nick Gage is genuinely one of the most charismatic talkers in wrestling. Seeing him in Beyond and GCW, if he told the people in those rooms they were storming city hall everyone would grab a weapon.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Puppy Doll posted:

I've been wondering for a while: do Cornette stans even enjoy any modern wrestling? All I see from them is posting about the stuff they hate and the promotions they're mad at; I can't remember ever seeing one of those folks earnestly posting about, like, an NWA show they're excited for or whatever.

Hating something takes less effort than either loving it or engaging critically with it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I've said it before but I hate Cornette's artist much more than I hate Cornette.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

he represents himself as an irritant who feasts on poo poo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If you read Foley's first book, he was someone who knew Hildebrand better than almost anyone, and at one point basically says that if the business hadn't been body-based Hildebrand would have been a world champion. He knew wrestling like absolutely nobody else.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So, are there actually any good wrestling podcasts? I occasionally check out Meltzer & co via YouTube clips, but the last wrestling podcast I listened to was so long ago they were still called radio programs.

Between the Ropes, I think? Man, it was good.

Smart Wrestling Fan is good if what you want is an in depth review podcast. Marty And Sarah Love Wrestling is gentle wrestling talk with characters from a stand up comedian and an improv comedian (Marty DeRosa and Sarah Shockey). Never Openpod is a fun New Japan podcast that I would be mentioning as good even if I didn't do the New Japan Strong review for them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

collocation posted:

To be doubly pedantic, I believe it was a knock off of what Russo did with La Parka in late WCW. Though, the La Parka thing actually sort of had a point/story, in that the voice would write checks he would have preferred to avoid cashing resulting in La Parka, at least once, throwing the mic down, and pointing at in a horrified manner while the voice continued to talk poo poo to someone way tougher.

See, that actually sounds funny.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

angel hair pudding

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It is observable in every subculture that the further down a rabbit hole you are the more baffling your injokes and references will be to outsiders.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Let's stop arguing with the bad faith racist guys.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Wrestling isn't MEANT to look like a real fight. Real fights are ugly and look like poo poo.

Wrestling is meant to look like the story of a fight, with better pacing, flashier things happening, and emotional heft.

If your wrestling match looks like what a fight actually looks like, you've failed.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If someone in a wrestling ring did the waffle house chair catch I would pop like a motherfucker.

https://twitter.com/WeekendTwitr/status/1607919795726438401?t=LNUfe-3Tf5kumjSrvWV6Ig&s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Man, d'von can still move

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I would say that it's completely legit to want a style of wrestling that resembles a combat sport. UWF-E style matches are cool as poo poo. But they're a flavour rather than the flavour. (and combat sports don't look like fights either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

You mean like this?

https://i.imgur.com/3jFfb6H.mp4

(RoH Supercard of Honor 2022)

I did in fact pop like a motherfucker for this.