Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cornette isn't even a leftist; I have no idea how anyone got that idea. He's extremely angry at Republicans whenever the topic comes up, but so are a lot of Democrats his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Fritz would never expose the business at an outlaw mud show like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22qfagAc_o

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I haven't kept up with, nor thought much about Cornette in awhile. The most charitable possible interpretation is that leaning into his character and pandering to his audience of crusty old wrestling smarks has made him more insane and unhinged over time. Be careful what you pretend to be, and all that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
AEW employs bad people, but I'm not going to bring it up in every post, but I am going to bring it up in every post

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Sometimes you look in the mirror and instead of your own reflection you see Hollywood Hogan leering back at you while the Warrior lurks in the background. Wrestling makes hypocrites of us all.
As long as Bischoff's not there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Hausu Usher posted:

Thanks for the information.
Nah, this isn't going to work. We're bored with you now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, I'd buy a ticket to see that card

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's the kind of insanely stupid scenario that only could have happened in like, 1999 WCW as we wish it was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The card itself is terrible. We've seen Austin vs Foley many times before, but it's at least good.

Undertaker vs Funk would be awful.

Rock vs Sting would likely not be good, maybe Sting is motivated and good but in that era? Eh.

The Hogan, Vince and Dudleys matches would all be really bad. Angle/Benoit would be good but the rest is just a mix of average to good matches, mostly with bad mixes of talent.

It's all meaningless because people put these cards together randomly to get a payday for a shoot interview but it's an awful card.
I'm not saying that it would be good. I didn't see The Room in the theatre five or six times because it's a good movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Dear Seth,

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah he claimed it contained a horseshoe, a chain around the outside, and a cut out metal pan. But he also claims fans in the 70s believed wrestling was real, so who knows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Apologies if this was posted recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCXdwLQR4

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Duke Pukem posted:

Its worth posting again, funny as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sd3ZcSto2k

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Wrestling is still a simulation of a fight. That hasn't changed. I think those people don't really know what they mean.

And sure, pro wrestling did used to look like an actual wrestling match, but that was well and truly gone by the time Jim Cornette was born. Even in the 30s, when the in-ring action looked plausible, you still had masked man gimmicks and outrageous screwjobs that were hard to believe. Ricky Morton didn't wrestle Dick Shikat.

I think the idea that 70s fans were marks is something that Cornette started exaggerating in his first shoot interviews. Then he doubled down on it, along with every other aspect of the character he plays in "shoot" interviews, until he became this parody of himself who can't go a minute without saying something offensive and expects you to believe that the Midnight Express were chased by mobs with pitchforks and torches.

In another thread I brought up some old Disco Inferno essays that I can't find now. In one of them, he pointed out that some boxer had recently lost a championship title because they found out that he cheated by putting plaster in his gloves. That puts to bed the idea that a legitimate sporting match could be won by cheating when there's video footage of him whacking his opponent with a loving chair.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In the context Cornette's talking about, someone who believes wrestling is real, or at least real enough that they want to maim someone in the parking lot for pretending to win a pretend match by pretending to cheat.

Anyway, this one's my favourite.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, not really. Can you think of a real fight where someone was beat up so bad they couldn't move, while the other guy decided to climb up the wall and then jump on him headfirst, instead of just stomping on him or something?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

So Corny wants it back to when he thinks people were more gullible? Even if like 90 percent or more people still knew it was all pre-determined, even the backwoods sons of the soil in Bucksnort, Tennessee?
I don't know what's in his head, but I don't think he really wants to change anything insofar as he knows you can't rewind time. He's playing to his audience, and if Maki Itoh and the Young Bucks and AEW went away, how would he make money by saying "oval office" every five seconds and calling people pedophiles? It's a work, and to the extent he really believes the poo poo he says, it just makes the work more believable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sure, people do stuff like that. I'm just saying that by the 70s, obviously worked stuff was happening every 5 seconds in a wrestling match. The last time a reasonable person could believe a wrestling match was actually competitive was probably in the early 50s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know if Kenny can sue, but this is some real glass-house poo poo from a guy who, if I'm not mistaken, shared a locker room with Grizzly Smith and probably other assorted creeps over the years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Hausu Usher posted:

Hi, brainless here. I'm listening to the show and this segment just now. I think the quoted comments are the edgiest things in the conversation, which essentially is boiling down to:

Yeah the internet sucks. We also get death threats on our family all the time, we block them.

People assuming it's the fault of Cornette and his fans (and attacking them) are assuming a lot (Brian Last flub at making a ReVeNgE aSsUmPtiOn on Kenny Omega - Omega's comments about American fans harassing Riho is why they brought up Hana Kimura, I don't think that was needed at all).

Don't harass anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-1rVFPWEA

I don't agree with everything Cornette says, btw, but since you referred to me. I don't like 99% of comments he makes about women's wrestling in general. I also don't like what Hasan Abi said about the Hogwarts game or his failed allyship with the transgender community - but I'm not assumed to be a brainless bastard because I still listen to a bunch of his content.
Have you ever asked yourself why you crave attention from people who hate you without even thinking that you're particularly worth hating

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I can't picture his current fanbase. It can't all be guys who are old enough to have actually been there for the good old-school wrestling. Don't tell me bearded 30something leftist wrestling nerds are big Corny fans.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Tries?

Like, they're too small to see?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

TNA NFTs reminded me of Jim Cornette's failed NFT project.

They minted like 600 NFTs and barely sold any, losing a bunch of money in the process.
How do you lose money selling NFTs? Did they spend a bunch of money on marketing and design? (I hope not, in the latter case.) I have no idea how much money it costs for the electricity to mint a NFT.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I cannot find any trace of "Blessed" by Eric Bischoff on google.com. Was it retitled "Grateful" or is that a follow-up?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Doing stuff other companies did unsuccessfully, but even worse, is kind of their whole thing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Cornette won't rest until every woman tangentially connected to this fiasco has been held accountable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Cornette just has to talk about this poo poo for the attention. His knowledge of and taste in wrestling is so irrelevant to the mainstream that his natural audience is just other old people who really think that some random squash from Mid-South is better than Okada vs. Omega. That's not a lot of people, so he has to talk about stuff that is relevant.

And he has to talk about it like a teenager reviewing a video game they hate in 1999 because that's his character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Which has always made their mantra of 'outlaw mud show' funny because he ran an unsuccessful one for far shorter a time than a lot of other promotions ran. If you're doing a show in front of two dozen people in a high school gym in Hogswallop Tennessee, congrats, you're a very muddy show.
Well, what makes an Outlaw Mud Show an Outlaw Mud Show is not that it's small-time, but that it doesn't have the blessing of the extremely official ancient honorary brotherhood of territorial wrestling promoters. So any show not blessed by the NWA is a mud show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Billy Corgan is the only one not running an outlaw mud show
WELL MAYBE HE SHOULD

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

rotinaj posted:

I like that he calls people cosplay wrestlers and yet wasn’t a loving wrestler himself
James M. Cornette fought off 600,000 screaming Mulkeymaniacs at the Riverside Centroplex in Baton Rouge with only a tennis racket reinforced with a horseshoe and a dog chain, brother.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It would be very funny if Corny manages to Mike Lindell himself over random drama.

Raeg posted:

Have we reached the gently caress around and find out era of backstage assaulters?
I hope so, and if there's a sea change in the business, I think people will realize how much that culture only maintained because it was fostered by Vince and other old industry guys.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The name on the marquee is WRESTLING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I love it when Cornette shares his political opinions. Because he's a mainstream liberal, and a great look at what that actually means, unfiltered.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

BGrifter posted:

The Hulkster wants to bring his Hulkaroos and Hulkayoos to AEW
ADD MEATBALL

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

The obsession with using Southpark style art for his little bullshit is strange as hell to me.
The show has a surprising diehard Boomer fandom.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Juris Doctor is Latin for "shoot lawyer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I would like to see a UFC-in-1995-style tournament with Punk, the Bucks, Kenny "Twinkle Toes" Omega, and Jim Cornette. Jimmy can even bring his little racket.