Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

*Coughs in Art Barr*

Not to mention Jimmy del Ray, a guy Corny managed and still speaks highly of.

Also anyone who thinks Shida's getting a nepotism push is a buffoon. She was barely on TV as champion until the Abadon program!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Knowing that it's a cash grab makes the whole thing even sadder, because Jim is ending decades-long friendships over this bullshit.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ian was hitting people up for money at JC Bailey's funeral so gently caress him too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Alaois posted:

do the people who talk about how wrestling was watched by 100 million people every week in the 80s ever also talk about or even just consider that boxing was also incredibly popular in the 80s and 90s and also suffered a similar downswing in popularity that can't be attributed to "goddamn fake video game playing phonies killing the business"

No, because those people also live in the wrestling bubble and don't get that it responds to cultural and economic trends just like everything else on Earth.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

RealFoxy posted:

Do you think Cornette would like Asuka better or worse if you showed him her early career when she was legitimately knocking people out

He would probably complain that she was an unsafe worker.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Corny thinking that he could convince Bam Bam Bigelow and Brock Lesnar to half-shoot on each other is where his Invasion booking officially lost me.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

Cornette knew how to draw heat with his fan base at least

Reminder that part of that is leaning into the incredible racism of the region of the time with the Gangstas, but hey, it worked, rite

In the long term, it didn't work - advertisers and sponsors wanted NOTHING to do with the Gangstas and they got "go away" heat on spot shows because New Jack was being, well, New Jack. It did get them into ECW, though.

Cornette's main problem as a booker is that he tries to fit people into ideas instead of generating ideas based on who he has to work with. When poo poo backfires, he can't adjust and freaks out.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mob posted:

shhh don't say the quiet part loud or else people may start to question Jake Roberts's "psychology"

Raven and Jake were both awesome, and also huge drug addicts who were difficult to motivate. But yes, "ring psychology" depends on the moment and the crowd and isn't preserved in amber the way Cornette and his ilk think it is. It changes with the tastes and appetites of its audience.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Destroy My Sweater posted:

what's the story here

Jim lost his mind when Brian got hit by a car and had his listeners demand that Brian be brought back to the show.

edit: someone beat me to it!

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mulaney Power Move posted:

reminds me of a jake the snake story where he asked wrestling students what the most important thing about the ddt was and they over analyzed every aspect of how to perform the move and then he was just like the most important thing was no one gets back up from it. then his snake got loose in a motel 6 while he was smoking crack with some strippers at the ihop. i might have some details of the story wrong.

No, that sounds about right for Jake.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cornette spent the most time around Grizzly in Mid South, where Corny was constantly on the road being worked to death by Bill Watts and dealing with crazy fans. It's possible that he may have been too exhausted to put two and two together. That complicates his tendency to forgive/overlook the hosed up antisocial behavior of old school wrestlers unless he personally dislikes them, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

wasn't Cornette's run in Mid-South extremely brief. Like 5-6 months?

I thought it was closer to a year, but driving around that territory all the time with no days off wrecked people. Ted Dibiase had stress-induced hair loss by the end of his run there. Abusers like Grizzly probably took full advantage of insane territory booking schedules because they kept everyone else too busy to notice what was going on.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

JR noticed it enough that he talks about it in his book.

I haven't read his book, but that's interesting. More evidence that Corny's just being shady, then.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

I'm sure it pisses him off that the Bucks don't wrestle matches like The Rock-N-Roll Express, where Matt gets the poo poo kicked out of him for ten minutes before making a hot tag to Nick, and instead wrestle matches where they go toe-to-toe with their opponents.

What actually pisses him off is that the Bucks aren't Memphis guys from the 70s, since Jim will defend every stupid thing they did until his dying breath. Jerry Lawler wrestled knock off versions of Frankenstein and Darth Vader when he was booking, that's way dumber than anything Omega or Orange Cassidy have done.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

This is the Cornette thread, but apparently Konnan is expressing doubt on his podcast that Hangman should be the next champion because "the fans may want it, but Hangman doesn't bring any new fans into the product".

Konnan isn't as much of an rear end in a top hat as Cornette, but they both say poo poo like this with nothing to back it up. How would he know whether or not Hangman brings new fans into wrestling? Not that AEW's never had booking misfires, but at least they do basic market research.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

What's Milton Berle doing in the CornetteZone?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Defenestrategy posted:

I can't imagine he hasn't bagged on eddy for being overweight and in need of a tan considering he used to bag on Kevin Owens/Steen for it.

He thinks Eddie's character justifies his appearance, and the only reason he ragged on Steen for that is because Steen talked back to him in ROH.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cornette has been well documented saying the problem with today's wrestlers is that they're not loving the women who come to the show and aggressively encouraged wrestlers like Chris Jericho to get out there and gently caress. Combine that with Jim's views on age of consent and...

He also got mad at Lance Storm for bringing his wife to SMW events and generally not being willing to tank his marriage to protect kayfabe in Shitsplat, KY.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

Not quite: In a lot of territories, particularly the one (Memphis) where Jim broke in, having regular sex with fans was considered good for business because it would help them draw female fans and drawing female fans led to drawing more young male fans. It wasn't a kayfabe violation thing, but it was still weird and dumb.

I was referring to the kayfabe that Lance was single and thereby attainable, but yes that's true about Memphis for sure.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Corny specifically hates Dave because he liked the Young Bucks' matches in PWG. I think he cut ties with JR because JR likes Orange Cassidy and warmed up to his gimmick.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

edogawa rando posted:

Yep, Brian Zane included it in his video calling Cornette and his fans out. He bleeps the word out, but it's pretty obvious what he's saying.

I'm kinda surprised Jim's promo against Bob Armstrong never comes up when this topic is broached - he uses a story about Bob's father selling shoes to set up the punchline "whenever anyone in Knoxville thinks about black loafers, they think about Bob Armstrong's old man." It's insane how often he said poo poo like that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

edogawa rando posted:

I wasn't aware of that one, but loving hell.

That clip is in the 11-minute Smoky Mountain TV demo he sent out to local stations and network affiliates. Granted this was in Tennessee in the mid-90s but still, yeesh.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Corny's repeated insistence that Matt Morgan was the next big thing always made me laugh. 7 feet tall or not, that dude sucked.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

C. Everett Koop posted:

Going off memory:

WCW - booking committee, wasn't the head decision maker, until he got mad and walked out.
Smokey Mountain: propped up by Rick Rubin money, tried the territory format after the territories were all but dead, went under once Rubin pulled his funding.
WWF: booking committee, pissed everyone off/didn't like the northeast (can't blame him on not liking Connecticut), went back to Louisville, wanted to kill Vince Russo
OVW: part owner, took WWF money in exchange for training their talent, did produce a golden generation (Cena/Brock/Orton/Batista), got mad over the idea that WWF would have a say in the talent they were paying him to develop, slapped Santino and solid his part
TNA: got worked by Jeff Jarrett into working again with Vince Russo, unsure of how much power he actually had but TNA was a shitshow that no one had a prayer of making halfway decent, from his telling got out-politic'd by Russo once more and was fired or quit I don't remember or really care to. Once more wanted to kill Vince Russo.
ROH: not formally head booker?, was now out of touch of what the modern wrestling fan was looking for, wore out his welcome and clashed with Sinclair management and ragequit

Basically only Smokey Mountain didn't end with him mad at someone or vice versa and that was a wrong place/wrong time investment.

Don't forget that every company he raged out of had one low-level office employee who, despite being a complete idiot, managed to singlehandedly wreck all of Corny's brilliant plans for wherever he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

rotinaj posted:

Wow, it is so strange that every single place he has ever worked employed one person who ruined everything

I wonder…

I know what you're thinking, and you're right: a conspiracy of fools has been set against the genius Jimothy Cornette.