Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Supreme Allah posted:

Fuckin hell imagine still being a country that has a monarchy, its 2021 bitches. We have refrigerated food and planes and stuff.

Eh, it's still better than American style Republicanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

lilljonas posted:

I'm not having a hard time imagining that both parties are in every sense in the wrong and everyone involved being pampered babies complaining that the world doesn't revolve just enough around making their lives just that extra bit easier.

Backing either side is the wrong take, you can both think that the British monarchy is a backwards torture chamber overdue for removal by three centuries AND that Harry and Meghan should stop whining about not getting enough tax shillings to have the life of the top 0.0000000001% without actually working for it.

The thing is it was removed a bit over three centuries ago and things got worse to the point people were clamoring for it's return.

teardrop posted:

Prince Philip, looking at 2 white people:
“Hmm yes have you considered if your baby gets too much sun it may resemble a quadroon?”

Edit: I think the monarchy is kind of a good thing because BoJo is less pompous and dumb than Trump. Nobody calls him their god emperor because that position is already taken. So it helps create an upper limit on hubris maybe?

The main thing is the Prime Minister has a lot less individual power than the President. The concentration of so much power inevitably leads to problems.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

hakimashou posted:

The US is less racist than the UK though

Maaaaybe most people are. But I'm unaware of any recent UK lynchings or extrajudicial killings of minorities by police. I'd guess there have been some cases of the later but probably not just brazenly in public and the perpetrators are FAR more likely to have faced real consequences. Still, being less racist than America is really a case of damning with faint praise.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

ShredsYouSay posted:

While the UK has not had de jure segregation in living memory, and London is a multicultural world city, lol at the rest. Racism and xenophobia are cornerstones of British identity.

Has it ever had de jure segregation? I thought not and a quick google confirmed it but I'm open to being wrong.
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1068/d060423?journalCode=epda

Algol Star posted:

Reminds me of when Jimmy Hill compared being called 'Chinny Hill' to being called the n word.

Is he a Chinese fellow?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There have been a number of cases in recent years where black people have been murdered by the London Metropolitan police using the same choke hold that was used to kill George Floyd.

Could you go into this further or provide links? I read through the following list for the last ten years and came up with two possibilities for this, one of which is still under investigation and the other of which resulted in a sacking, namely Sheku Bayoh and Kingsley Burrell respectively.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_Kingdom

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

let's all move to new zealand, the good country

Unfortunately (for you) we're strongly limiting immigration even after this covid malarkey.

crispix posted:

the queen literally believes she was appointed to rule the nation by god lol

anyone else coming out with that poo poo would be sectioned under the mental health act in a heartbeat

The only monarchs to advance this claim were (I believe some of) the Stewarts, which resulted in a lovely regicide. You may be thinking of the French.

I don't know how credible the site is but this article says it wasn't Lizzy or Phillip who asked the baby colour question. My money is on William or possibly Charles.
https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/queen-elizabeth-promises-to-privately-address-issues-of-race-raised-by-meghan-and-harry-1.1181165#15

Personally I'm a monarchist but only because it seems to be the best of a bunch of bad options. I'm going to read about the Irish system now though.

E: what the heck does the Seanad actually do in practice? It seems toothless and basically pointless.

Weka fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 10, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

crispix posted:

yeah i was thinking of charles i

everyone goes on about the french solution to monarchy but personally i prefer the idea of that of the bolsheviks

Didn't they both kill them?

Klyith posted:

Can you guys start telling american billionaires to gently caress off too please?

a. they're gonna come and poo poo up your beautiful land
b. giving them a literal Dr Evil escape rocket to magical hobbit land makes them a lot more confident they will suffer zero consequences from loving up this one

a. Yeah I agree.
b. Atleast I can just crack open rich people bunkers in the event of an apocalypse.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think Markhle said the Queen was actually really nice.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Who What Now posted:

Every single royal member treats staff like garbage. Abolish them all.

Yeah but they treat them like poo poo politely.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

This is how I show my respect and devotion to HRH.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Are you British?

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

What is it that appeals to you about Britain becoming a state or three?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Helicopter mechanic.