Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

vonnegutt posted:

Also if anyone has a link to the extremely expensive selfie stick camera, I'm interested. Are those the ones that automatically "erase" the stick? I've seen skate videos where it appears as if someone is holding onto nothing to film, I assume that's some kind of post-processing?
That type of video is produced by 360 cameras like the insta360 series, although I honestly don't completely understand how that makes the stick invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I'm trying to find 80mm 85As because I'll need to replace my wheels soon, but everything looks sold out on the stores I've used before and the one you linked is out too. Any other recommendations on stores/brands to look for?
The Inline Warehouse branded wheels are rebranded Powerslide and they're probably acceptable quality if you need replacement wheels right now, although I haven't specifically tried them: https://www.inlinewarehouse.com/IW_Hurricane_Urban_Wheel/descpage-IW5SW.html (I think I actually have a set lying around I bought earlier but I've mostly been skating 110mm)

Hydrogens are really good but they're pricey enough that I would only buy them on sale. There are plenty of other things like Rollerblade Supreme and most other legit brands that are still decent.

Also you realize that 85A is just the durometer (hardness) so you don't necessarily have to replace your wheels with the exact same number (although most wheels for normal outdoor use will be around 85A-86A anyway) right?

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 14, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I love my FR1s and I just recently cleaned all the bearings and relubed them and let me tell you that it is not fun at all and I do not like it one bit. Also, it seems like if I tighten the bolts on the wheels they're noticeably less spinny then if I leave it a little loose on a couple of them. Haven't had any issues with leaving them this way, but it bothers me
Try removing and reinserting the bearings on the wheels that have this problem. Also make sure the bearings are fully seated in the wheels.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In case anyone else has been looking for any deals on 110mm wheels since there's been fairly limited selection for the last year, I noticed that Proskater's Place has a two pack of powerslide wheels for $11.47 ($5.74 per wheel): https://proskatersplace.com/shop/inline-skates/inline-skate-wheels/powerslide-swell-wheels-white-110mm-86a/ which is the cheapest I've seen in a while.

They're in Canada but they have free shipping if you spend $100 and they don't charge tax if you're in the US. They don't have a deal on bearings if you get wheels like Inline Warehouse though.

I've been skating on 4x110 frames recently so I wanted to buy new wheels before I actually need them because the price difference ends up being insane. (I think my current wheels are hydrogens that I got from Amazon Warehouse but I've kind of been turned off Amazon Warehouse since I recently got some bearings that appear to be fake or rather maybe someone just carefully reinserted other crappy bearings back into the package)

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 19, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

That is pretty cheap. I don't need 110mm replacements yet, but will eventually, and I need to get my wife some new bearings so might as well. Are there any bearings on that site you can recommend? Doesn't have to be anything too fancy.
I ordered some twincam ilq 7 bearings (which are supposed to be roughly equivalent to abec 7 bearings) because I think I've had good luck with twincam bearings before but I haven't tried the exact model proskaterplace had before (they have removable metal shields with c clips, which is a style I've never tried).

Bearings are weird because supposedly things like the differences between abec ratings should be negligible for skating but there are also tons of garbage bearings out there if you buy random no name ones of Amazon or something. I don't really like to buy expensive ones because it feels like inevitably I'll end up skating through a puddle or something the day I install them, but I'm sick of my bearings constantly being terrible.

I'm also thinking of trying leaving the seal on the inside side of the bearings off and seeing if that makes it faster to clean them.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 23, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think once you actually get water or crud in your bearings you pretty much have no choice since otherwise they'll become completely unusable, but if you're skating in good conditions all the time just adding lube and then throwing them out when they get bad might very well be a reasonable approach.

I've gotten better at removing the rubber seals but it still may be true that repeatedly removing and reinserting them will inevitably damage them a little bit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you have the cheap ones with crimped on seals you can actually just remove one side (stick in just the very tip of a utility knife and pet up and if it doesn't pop out then there should be room to stick in a thin screwdriver and pop it off) and clean them. It's actually not that hard, although if you've never done it before you have a decent chance of destroying at least one bearing in the process.

I don't think the bones bottle does that great a job compared to just submerging loose bearings in slightly larger gladware container or something and I think you have to soak them longer after shaking to really get them clean, although it depends on what lube you're using (I guess if you're using sewing machine oil or something it will be faster but I use 3-in-1).

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do both, imo

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are you looking to get into speed skating (since you're looking at these in between skates with removable cuffs)? I don't know much about that. You're describing your current skates as "entry level speed skates" but I'm not sure if you mean something like "fitness skates."

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the longer frame might be better in that case (my 4x110mm frames are about the same length as the rollerblade ones I guess and I like the stability that that provides) but one thing you should be aware of if you're specifically looking at 110mm because you're not sure if you want to go all the way to 125mm is that if the frames have the clearance for 125 you're going to be higher up because of that even if you only have 110mm wheels on them. The frames have to be 125mm/2 over the axles to have clearance so they'll be 117.5mm off the ground rather than 110mm like a normal 110mm frame.

It probably makes sense to go with the rollerblades if you're specifically planning to get used to 1100mm as an intermediate step before you switch to 125mm but otherwise you might be better off with something that doesn't have clearance for 125mm... However, I'm not sure if longer 3x110mm frames are that common since I think all the speed skaters have switched to 3x125.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5PSu8BMuKc

Shameless self-promotion. I made a little solo edit this summer after 3 years back skating. Nothing death-defying but I wanted to push myself (and have fun). Really happy with how it turned out. So glad I started skating again.
Nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Most cheap skates are pretty flimsy. I guess it's not a problem if they fit perfectly and you just want something you can beat up while you learn the basics but if you're a beginner you can end up pronating your legs and not learning how to use your edges properly because of the lack of support. It may be different if you have more skating experience from before though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you buy new skates, I guess look at whether the wheels are decent and if they're bad then you might want to factor in the cost of new wheels.

If you look at frames look at the cost of frames + wheels + bearings obviously.

Also consider whether you want to have a backup pair of skates / the option of using 4x80 some of the time since you probably won't want to change frames frequently (some people might not consider this a big hassle but I find it very inconvenient and I don't like to ever change frames without applying loctite and letting it cure overnight because having your frame get loose loving sucks). Having a second pair is nice for example if you realize your bearings have gotten bad but you really want to skate ASAP without having to replace the bearings in your other pair, but if you always only skate it good conditions this may be less of an issue.

Also, if your main goal is to go fast, consider that you may not actually want a super short 3 wheel frame because the frame length (wheelbase) also makes a pretty big difference in addition to wheel size and 3x110 wheel frames aren't necessarily longer than 4x80 frames. Some 3x110 frames are longer, though, so just look at the specs.

A 4x80 frame will typically be about 3*80=240mm for comparison, and some 3x110 skates will be similar in length, whereas on the other extreme speed skates tend to be like 315-350mm which is more stable but less maneuverable.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 7, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why soft boot specifically out of curiosity?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've tried a bunch of different solvents for cleaning bearings and the problem I had with water based stuff was that it's hard to dry it off well without the bearings immediately rusting, so I had been using 99% isopropyl alcohol, but it recently occurred to me that you can get the best if both worlds and just use something water based to clean the bearings, rinse them in water, and then dunk them into a container of isopropyl alcohol and shake them at the end to remove most of the water before drying them.

This way I can just use hot water and dish soap in an ultrasonic cleaner for the cleaning step which is extremely effective (I've been trying grease rather than oil but this removes it very quickly even with only one seal off, so I can just permanently leave the inside seals off) and there's only minimal exposure to fumes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

When you're talking about carving on a sidewalk are you talking about a wide concrete sidewalk? If it's like a 2 foot wide bumpy asphalt sidewalk down a hill I feel like it might be hard to carve down that.

E.g.: <- yeah probably
<- probably not

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 8, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you can carve as anything between a series of parallel turns (where you're just rolling in zig-zaggy path without really applying edge) and an actual parallel slide but I think the faster you're going and the less room you have, the closer you need it to be to a parallel slide or you'll just get out of control.

I can't quite do a real parallel slide yet but my carving has gotten better by working on applying as much edge as possible. Also, if you're already doing something close to a parallel slide and just not quite actually sliding fully most of the time then it seems like you aren't really affected if you actually do end up sliding, which makes it more stable on uneven terrain.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 8, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

black.lion posted:

y'all may already be doing this but just in case, control on fast tight carves is really bolstered by letting your skates separate during the turn, so like if i'm turning sharp left, my left skate will be under me (on outside edge) and my right skate will be pretty far out, knee nearly straight, on inside edge...and my body is relatively low to the ground, like a weird sideways lunge... this way my left skate is supporting my weight, and my right skate is pushing against where my momentum wants to take me, bleeding speed/energy into the street... then go back and forth doin that (this is how i taught my wife to take big scary hills and she's p competent at it/comfortable with it, without having ~big inline skills~ of any sort
I could be wrong but I'm not sure this is actually desirable during carving because it means you can't use your outside edge properly?

I think while carving you should ideally try to work on getting it closer to a parallel slide where you're using both edges (or alternatively try to do a magic slide or something rather than carving)

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 8, 2021

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i've been reading this thread for a while and i think i want to try skating this year, but i have no idea where to start, or even if it's a good idea, given the following:
i don't know how to skate at all (i can ride a bike if that helps)
last i knew i didn't have great balance but i've been working out for quite a while now so maybe that's changed?
i am a mutant and wear size 15 shoes
Basically get skates (and a helmet and elbow/knee/wrist protectors) and start trying to skate and maybe watch some youtube videos after giving it a go and have a sense of what you are trying to do.

Aggressive skates (for skate parks) are different and have smaller wheels than skates for just skating around recreationally so ideally know which you want to do (if you want to do both but don't care about grinding you can get away with just using 4x80mm skates for both to begin with).

I'm not totally sure about size 15 skates (and availability kind of sucks right now anyway). I would normally suggest getting hard shell skates to start but based on that shoe size you may have to get something like the Rollerblade XL line. The most important thing is you don't want them to be too big (they normally should feel slightly too tight when you put them on the first time; if you're feet are sliding around in soft shell boots it will be completely impossible to learn to skate properly).

Edit: The first time, maybe just try a big/smooth/empty parking lot. Then, if you want to skate in a skate park you can just go to one anywhere and maybe watch youtube videos on aggressive skating and try doing that. If you want to skate around for exercise, try to find a flat, quiet bike path. Be VERY careful about any sort of downward slope until you have learned how to brake and know what you are doing somewhat. You should probably watch a youtube video on how to use heel brakes first, too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 24, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, I think there are more that go up to size 14 but at size 15 you may not have that many options other than those (I'm not sure if other brands also have similar models that go up to size 15?)

quote:

it's not for exercise, mainly wanting to put my new body to use. i thought it might be fun for traveling shorter distances. i live in kansas so everything is pretty flat here

is there something that tells me what all the terms are? is there a video that tells me what to do with my flailing extremities? my only experience with skating was 20 years ago using too-small ice skates and running into the walls of the rink when i wasn't falling over
It kind of has a steep learning curve so you would probably would want to do it a decent amount on a bike path or something before you actually try to skate around roads, although if there are lots of smooth/flat sidewalks it might be easier.

There are probably youtube videos that cover a lot of the basics but I don't know any specific ones off the top of my head. To start you'll just want to try to just skate without falling over and learn to use the heel brake. You'll probably naturally end up kind of skating the wrong way (shuffling forwards) so as soon as you can do that you'll want to try to skate by gliding on your front foot and kicking backwards. After that you can try to learn other stopping techniques and go from there.

Basically I think the main issue is that because of the learning curve, if you're hoping to just casually put on skates and be able to immediately skate around on actual roads for transportation immediately that might be hard but it does depend on what the roads and sidewalks are like where you are.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ghostal posted:

I basically spent my last summer in hotel isolation, so I got a massive craving for wheels and outdoors. I'm not completely sure how I ended up looking at blades again (after 20 years off them) , but I ended up looking at wizard skating for the first time on YouTube and knew immediately I needed them.

After a long time finding individual parts, I've been getting back into the swing of things with NR100s with some gutted SXs and intuition liners. These have been great fun, but also super stable - I think I've fallen over like twice in 6 months. Great stuff for the 30 plus crowd.

Wanting to keep pushing myself, I ordered some wizard boots and PR76s (5 wheel) when they came back in stock,. The boots came in December but I had to wait for the frames. I got them yesterday and wow, these are amazing. The rocker feels really good, the wizard boot feels more solid on the tounge, so maneuverable. I'm excited to wear in the wheels and explore my skill limit with these.

If you're on the fence about wizards, I strongly recommend you find a way to try them out or one of the equivalent frames.
I feel like it should be noted that one of the downsides to the wizard style configurations unless you're specifically interested in wizards skating is that they can be pretty heavy. Here are approximate weights of different wheel configurations as percentages of 4x80 (plus I think the wizard frames are heavier than most other frames):
pre:
4x80	100.00%
4x90	125.00%
4x100	160.00%
3x110	146.25%
4x110	195.00%
3x125	185.63%
5x80	125.00%
I got 4x110 nn frames like a year ago and I liked the stability, plus the weight doesn't really matter if you're going on flat surfaces and don't have to stop frequently, but I've been skating more on routes that have more stopping, starting, turning, small hills, hopping on curbs, etc. and the weight started to get annoying so I've mainly been using my other pair of skates which have a 4x90 frames. Unfortunately it seems like it's hard to get 90mm wheels right now and I have a bunch of 110mm wheels lying around so I'm actually thinking of getting longer 3x110 mm frames since they would have the same stability as 4x110 with much less weight.

I think wizard skating makes sense for people who used to be into aggressive skating and now are interested more in something like free skating but I'm not totally sure that that style of skates makes a lot of sense if that isn't what you're interested considering that the frames are pretty expensive and not necessarily that practical for other styles of skating.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 25, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

There appears to be a skateboarding thread in sports argument stadium for some reason: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104299&pagenumber=130&perpage=40

For helmets the Virginia tech ratings are interesting but they don't have that many multi sport helmets with good (low ratings)

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 29, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Helmets:

I have a triple 8 dual certified helmet that I was using when practicing skating backwards more but virginia tech's testing gives it a pretty bad rating.

I've been using a random older bike helmet when I'm not doing anything particularly dangerous-seeming but I might replace it with the Specialized Align II (MIPS) which seems to be the best tradeoff between cost ($50) and rating in virginia tech's ratings (presumably if you're just skating forwards at moderate speeds the requirements for a helmet should be very similar to cycling).

Admittedly, I'm not sure how applicable their test methodology would be to things like aggressive skating, skating backwards, etc. though. Especially if you're at a skate park it might not necessarily be that meaningful but I haven't looked into the exact details so I'm not sure.

Also, MIPS is probably only meaningful if you keep the helmet really tight but ideally I guess you should do that.

Virginia tech gives an extremely good score to the Specialized Mode (MIPS) which seems like it would be decent for skating but it's very expensive and pretty dorky looking.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 29, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've tried loads of knee pads and although my favourite are probably the triple 8 undercover gaskets, if you fall and slide they get pulled out of the way and you still grind a hole in your knee. I've got a set of the Ennui gasket type pads that are kind of like those biking ones and although they're super protective, you sweat like a motherfucker with them on.

So at the moment I'm using some generic Powerslide hardshell pads and even with some fair falls, they've held up and stayed in position, they're reasonably breathable and you can just about get them on under trousers.

E: ennui knee gaskets (they're super expensive, I paid less than this!) https://www.locoskates.com/products/ennui-shock-sleeve-pro-knee-gaskets-pads?variant=16029404037163

Powerslide hardshells that I currently use. Cheap, durable and comfortable: https://powerslide.com/products/standard-men-knee-pad
I've been mostly using some cloth ones that are I guess are like the triple 8 gaskets but worse but I want to find both some ones that I can wear under pants that are a little better and some hard shell ones that I like.

It should probably be noted that in addition to typically providing more padding, the hard shell ones that you wear on top of any clothing are theoretically inherently superior because you can slide on them.

The one problem with the cheaper hard shell ones is (from my experience back when I was falling a lot more lol) if you don't fall on the front of your knee they can easily slide around and so if you're wearing shorts, especially, you don't get much protection on the sides and back of your knee at all and it's really easy to fall on your thighs for example.

Some of the heavier duty ones have pads and or neoprene on the sides but they're more expensive, availability seems to be limited, and the sizing seems to be much more complicated.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 29, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a random cheap backpack from amazon where the skates stick out the sides and it might be able to hold a laptop but in general it doesn't hold stuff that securely so I'm not sure I would trust it.

Decathlon has a bag where the skates strap on to the outside (https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?variant=39591537573950) that I haven't tried but it looks like it might be better... Unfortunately, it's been listed as out of stock on their US website for a while so I'm not sure it's ever going to be available again.

The straps design isn't that complicated so you could theoretically probably add straps like that to a laptop bag yourself if you're handy with stuff like that though.

If you're only carrying around the skates for a short period you could use a snowboard boot strap, carabiner, or a folding duffle bag thing to carry the skates

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

If anyone else wants to buy the Decathlon skate backpack I realized they are back in stock... but there were only two and I already bought one so there's only one left: https://www.decathlon.com/products/bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982?adept-product=bp100-20-l-inline-skating-backpack-304982

I just ordered it so obviously I haven't tried it and can't vouch for it but after using one of the bags where the skates go on the inside and stick out that I got from amazon (which did a bad job keeping either the skates or anything else in the bag secure and was really floppy when the skates weren't in the bag) I am hoping this design where the skates strap to the front will be more practical

mystes
May 31, 2006

Literally A Person posted:

What are you folks listening to while you skate?

My album for the past week or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWlGBfbZcQ
I don't have anything to recommend but I have to say that this does seem like it would be good to skate to

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'd be interested if it works with larger skates i.e. adult size 10 and/or 110mm wheels. The rollerblade backpack I got just fits a 4x80mm in men's 10 but can't take a 3x110mm in that size because of the extra height and the product photos clearly use a much smaller size skate to pretend that you can.
I can't remember the actual skate size but I wear 11.5 shoes and so far it seems okay from a cursory check with my 4x90 skates. I don't think the wheel size should matter that much in terms of the straps based on the design, but with skates this big the wheels do end up sticking out a little bit above and below the pack but that doesn't seem to cause any problems. It does kind of feel like I'm running the straps out and then across whereas I might just being them across the skates with shorter skates, and it seems like it might take slightly longer to get the straps fully secured than I was expecting but not enough to really matter.

My general impression is that it secures the skates at least as well as the other lovely pack I had but it has the advantage of holding other stuff securely both with and without the skates on the pack

Hopefully I'll get a chance to actually go out and use the pack at some point and maybe that will give me a better sense (I'm probably going to try using it to take skates on the bus or train at some point).

---

Unrelated to that I've been having the worst time trying to find knee pads I like because I mostly end up wearing cloth knee sleeves because I like the way they fit but I wanted more protection and I finally bought "Powerslide onesie" knee pads which are like a cloth knee sleeve but with a plastic cover just over the pad part in the middle.

I'm definitely at the upper end of the thigh thickness range for them if they don't stretch out during use but they still seem comfortable enough and I really like the general design:

They probably won't be practical in colder weather though (they're probably too thick to wear under pants).

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have to admit that that style of knee pads is the cheapest, has the best protection for normal use, and is generally the most practical so I should probably just use them but I guess I'm too stubborn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

I just got some bearings in the mail and previously they had shields on both sides, but these are open on one side. They're ilq 7 plus where the previous ones were just ilq 7. Is that normal? I put the open side inside but haven't gone out with them yet
I guess like 90% of bearings come with shields on both sides but it really doesn't matter. I just get rid of the inside shields the first time I clean the bearings so I don't have to bother removing/reinserting the shields after that anyway* and there's no real need to have shields on the insides as far as I can tell.

*: It's a bit harder to clean them thoroughly with only one side off but I use an ultrasonic cleaner.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 9, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Florida one?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ordered a silly electric bike horn thing off of amazon to see if it works for skating because reddit just randomly showed me an electric unicycle sub thread where someone said it worked attacked with the control run over their shoulder on a backpack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B65PCMH (I plan to use it on the bike bell sound at the lowest volume)

Probably dumb but I kept wondering if I could find a way to use a bike bell when skating on paths in the probably misguided hope that people will actually be more likely to keep to the left if they think a bike is coming rather than just being confused

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know why but that just seems so dorky even compared to a dorky electronic bell

Also I don't think I really like the modern style of bike bells that just ding once loudly. People don't seem to hear them if you only ding once but if you keep dinging then it seems pretty obnoxious. I have one on on my bike but I usually just end up just saying "on your left" and I've been wondering if an older style bell that makes a double ring sound would be more effective

But we'll see... If I'm not happy with the electronic bike horn for skating I may just use it on my ebike with the horn sound at a louder volume.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 14, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i got these in size 14 and they fit well even though i normally wear size 15 shoes.
Normal shoe sizing doesn't really matter and it's important that they not be too big (even more so in soft shell boots) so you probably made the right choice. If anything you want them to feel slightly too tight when you first get them since in general the liner will compress a bit after a little use.

quote:

my buddy pointed out they came with 90mm wheels instead of the 80s his came with so i can go faster (note: i do not currently want to go faster)
With boots that big you wouldn't want the frame length/wheelbase to be any shorter anyway (the size 14 in the product image even has a substantial distance between the 90mm wheels, whereas smaller boots with 80mm wheels often come with them nearly touching) so you probably don't want smaller wheels unless you're doing aggressive skating (I assume not because they aren't aggressive skates that you can grind on but I'm not sure what the availability is like in size 14).

You could put 80mm wheels on them and you would just be a little lower to the ground though

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 31, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

posting w/ one arm. saturday i tried to learn again and went to a relatively flat parking lot with my buddy. i had all my pads on but when i fell i landed on my wrist and my elbow went backwards. it hurt pretty bad but i was thinking "don't be a wuss, you can't stop the first time you fall!" so i practiced another half hour before going home and noticed my arm still hurt and i can't move it in the normal way. went to the doctor today and it's broken lol
Yikes... when you say all your pads were you wearing a wrist guard too? And you still broke it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unfortunately broken wrists are one of the most common injuries from skating.

I wasn't wearing wrist guards for a while but I decided it's better to be safe and started wearing them again... However, I think the fit is pretty important. Ideally you probably want one that will prevent your wrist from bending and I'm honestly not sure the ones I've been wearing fit right to do that

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

my wrist is absolutely fine, that guard worked. my elbow didn't even touch the ground, it just smashed into itself. i have "closed posttraumatic nondisplaced fracture of the radial neck. no additional acute fracture. no dislocation"
Oh, I misread that. I'm not sure what you can even do to prevent that aside from falling differently then, hmm.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How the hell did I lose a cuff bolt while skating wtf.
I did that once

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh nm actually what I lost was the screw on one of the straps not the cuff bolt

Mauser posted:

my wife managed to lose one of her axles while we were skating, sending the wheel rolling off on its own. I have no idea how she managed that because if mine are even the slightest bit lose it sounds like I'm stomping around in wooden clogs or something
Yeah I can't imagine not noticing when it's loose to the point where you actually lose the axle. First you hear it and if you somehow don't notice that it tends to start feeling weird once it gets slightly looser.

After one time getting traumatized when my frame got loose on one skate and I didn't have a hex wrench with me, the second anything starts to feel loose I'm like "please just be an axle" (I always carry a hex wrench with me now anyway though).

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Intl Cron posted:

I was hoping there were some goon skaters, and I was not disappointed. Just got a schmancy action camera and finally taught myself to clumsily edit some footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiFBNT8Df0
Nice

Philadelphia seems like it's probably pretty dece for skating