Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Nice to see they didn't blow Dustin's first appearance. One of my favorite character archetypes and I always love seeing chessmaster types executed well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

For someone who professes to be for world peace, while also abducting children, he seems like an awful...

Oh, you... :holy:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nitrousoxide posted:

I started dabbling in the web novel, starting at the Mother fight as I was told that’s when things really diverge, and maaaaaan is the fan translation at that point terrible. I got through about 20 chapters, up to 182. I will say that when people said things diverge they were not kidding. It’s like reading an story taking place in a parallel dimension from the LN.

You definitely appreciate the editing and translation work that went into the LN after reading a few chapters of the WN. drat.

Well I've knocked out a lot of chapters of the WN now (specifically up to WN 288) and there's some real banger chapters once you get past the Turb0 stuff. I will say that some of them, like 288 the only real response to them is :asoiaf:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I need to go back and re-read some of the web novel stuff that the light novel hasn't gotten to.

There's some good 'holy poo poo' moments, but there's also some extremely silly stuff, like Kumoko using her god-like abilities to teleport over to Japan and make sure that Wakaba's MMO account logs in for all the seasonal event bonuses

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

I need to go back and re-read some of the web novel stuff that the light novel hasn't gotten to.

There's some good 'holy poo poo' moments, but there's also some extremely silly stuff, like Kumoko using her god-like abilities to teleport over to Japan and make sure that Wakaba's MMO account logs in for all the seasonal event bonuses

I have liked the D interludes, the Halloween and Valentine's day chocolate were pretty funny. I hope they make their way back into the LN's

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Next episode's title makes me think it's Ariel and Kumoko's fight in the Sariella's battle.

Edit: I suppose it could also be B R E E D I N G guy

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 21, 2021

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Crunchyroll accidentally put Ep 20's description up instead of episode 19, and yeah, it's probably breeding guy.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Doodles posted:

Crunchyroll accidentally put Ep 20's description up instead of episode 19, and yeah, it's probably breeding guy.

Remind me because I can't remember to whom this refers

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

He's the Ohts representative who was visiting the town and wanted to take Kumoko to breed her for their Pokemon trainers. Ohts fully knew he was an obnoxious idiot rear end in a top hat who would likely provoke a dangerous monster into attacking or killing him, thus providing them with the Causus Belli needed to invade.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I really hope they didn't just take Ariel's kickass fight vs. a gazilliion dragons and turn it into a single flash of purple light.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
More and more I'm feeling glad I dipped into the LNs, they seem fine cutting a lot of stuff that isn't from Kumo or Shun's perspectives, even if it's cool, or in this case kind of important to the plot.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tomorrow's episode looks to have the Ohts/Sariella war, the return of the Demon Lord, and the first appearance by Wrath!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Tomorrow's episode looks to have the Ohts/Sariella war, the return of the Demon Lord, and the first appearance by Wrath!

Is that a fuggin mini-me?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that a fuggin mini-me?

One of Shiraori's spyders

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sophia stopped by the merch table they had set up in episode 19.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Lol after today’s episode people are going to think Mini-Me’s are like cell phones and that Sophia was calling Ariel “master”

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's too bad that the anime probably won't cover any of those great shiro communication gags.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Considering the title for episode 21 (So I'm not in this one, am I?), we're probably going to get a big elf village war episode right away. That's surprising to me. I figured the Ohts / Sariella war would be first or concurrent.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobulus posted:

Considering the title for episode 21 (So I'm not in this one, am I?), we're probably going to get a big elf village war episode right away. That's surprising to me. I figured the Ohts / Sariella war would be first or concurrent.

The anime is making an effort to avoid catching up with the manga. This was actually the last time we see Kumo.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Sounds like half the next episode will be the parts from Ariel's perspective in Volume 5, that's good to know.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's too bad that the anime probably won't cover any of those great shiro communication gags.

5 minutes of internal monologue
“And therefore we go”

Everyone else around her, “What White?”

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Huh,

Never noticed this before, but OP 1 literally has White's Apotheosis just straight up in it.

Pulling out from D's eye into her face.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm about half through volume 11 after burning through the light novels over the last couple days and it really had me worried Sophia was eating her classmates until she mentioned they were dragon bones.

Also the book doesn't deserve the poo poo people are giving it on amazon.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Today's anime episode showed (I can't remember if they've actually showed this in the LN?) Shiro taking down the elves' barrier, and it sure looked like the scythe wasn't involved. I know a couple people here speculated that the reason the LNs was building up its mysterious power was that it would shatter the barrier or something.

The barrier turned purple and then faded away, so if anything, it looked like she poisoned it.

edit: let's just put that behind spoilers, for people that didn't read the web-novel.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Today's anime episode showed (I can't remember if they've actually showed this in the LN?) Shiro taking down the elves' barrier, and it sure looked like the scythe wasn't involved. I know a couple people here speculated that the reason the LNs was building up its mysterious power was that it would shatter the barrier or something.

The barrier turned purple and then faded away, so if anything, it looked like she poisoned it.

edit: let's just put that behind spoilers, for people that didn't read the web-novel.

They did not show that in the LN.

I personally was hoping for the WN Baseball bat, it would have been a pretty funny image to have her walk up to the barrier and then pull D's baseball bat out of spatial storage and give it a good WHACK

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"Be Forever, Me" is the title of the next episode. Pretty sure it's gonna be Kumoko getting washed by the Demon Lord and reviving herself. Hoping there's time to fill in the reveal in the present day too. That'd leave two whole episodes to do the rescue of Sophia and Merazophes, and the formation their little group uninterrupted.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I assume they want to do the Arachne evolution and the scene of Shun calling White Wakaba in the same episode

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Lmao at how they changed the scene where Oka reflexively hits Yuri with an arrow to stone cold shooting her in the back. Not even a hint of regret afterwards!

Bobulus posted:

White isn't mentioned in the LN but everyone craps themselves when they sense the power that pops the barrier. The latest ep didn't really handle that bit very well either.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Eyre Kneed posted:

"Elf forest" lol. This was a really bad scene, ngl. The tiling pattern, the lack of shadows on the 2D characters, the desert in the middle of the forest.

Cross posting from the anime thread. Anime-onlys that have stuck with this adaptation, even with the studio skimping on the animation like this, deserve an award.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I'm gonna go ahead and post some manga links here.

The last chapter to go up on Mangadex before it crashed was 50.3. A couple more chapters have been translated since then without making it to mangadex -

And just now, the new chapter has been published (but not translated) 52.1

IT'S HAPPENING
IT LOOKS SUPER WEIRD

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 17, 2021

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Kinda hope the anime just gives her the actual spider face on the bottom, at least most of the time.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
https://readmanganato.com/manga-zd976712/chapter-52.1

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interesting design choices.

I like that her humanoid torso and arms still have some spidery elements. And the color scheme makes it look like she has fingerless gloves.

This is going to be really hard for the anime to animate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what isn't really hard for the anime to animate?

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I'd be a bit disappointed if they didn't just stick with the LN design cause I'll be real honest that looks goofy as gently caress, especially with the lower head.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zeratanis posted:

I'd be a bit disappointed if they didn't just stick with the LN design cause I'll be real honest that looks goofy as gently caress, especially with the lower head.

After dipping into the Kumo Desu reddit, I'll take a slightly-goofy appearance over the people lusting over the LN version.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think it looks fine? It's different from the LN but that's not a good or bad thing. It's just different.

I was kind of hoping she would be pink and she'd get called pink instead of white/shiro just to piss everyone off.

Alas, she described herself as pure white in the dialogue.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
One final desperate attempt of the manga to not get passed by the anime, but I think it will finally catch up tomorrow.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

I'm still not a fan of the mangaka's human art. I think that's the major reason they didn't do the human side- they're not great at drawing people. Like, why's she got shark teeth?

Edit: What time have the previews been dropping on Fridays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It varies, but typically in the evening. Maybe... four, five hours from now?