Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Problem description: Computer does not boot, does not even reach BIOS. It appears to a problem with the RAM. I was trying to put in new RAM under poor lighting conditions, and I guess I didn't push them down all the way. It latched on one side, so I thought - "Alright, they're in!" Then I noticed that I wasn't seeing them show up when I started the computer and looked at the specs. So I shuffled them around more and more, got different results. And then finally one of the configurations caused it to stop working altogether.

There's a red light that turns on now called DRAM. This happens with any configuration of RAM in any of the slots or none of the slots.

Attempted fixes: Tried taking out the board from the case and resetting all the RAM.

Recent changes: The RAM sticks

--

Operating system: Windows 7 x64

System specs: Asus 970 Pro Gaming / Aura, DDR3 RAM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is just broken, but if someone knows something, that'd be awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shadow0 posted:

I'm pretty sure the motherboard is just broken, but if someone knows something, that'd be awesome!

Yes, it could be the RAM is all bad or the motherboard died or even a PSU issue.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Unplug from wall, Pull all ram, reset bios (pull battery or bridge jumper for rtc reset/cmos reset/clear pw)

Install one stick, the slowest of them, in the 2nd slot from the CPU.

GIVE IT TIME.

ASUS reset like 2-3 times and can take a while after a reset.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

down1nit posted:

Unplug from wall, Pull all ram, reset bios (pull battery or bridge jumper for rtc reset/cmos reset/clear pw)

Install one stick, the slowest of them, in the 2nd slot from the CPU.

GIVE IT TIME.

ASUS reset like 2-3 times and can take a while after a reset.

down1nit posted:

GIVE IT TIME.

I tried this one last time, giving it a lot more time, and I at least got something to show up on screen. But when I tried jumping into the BIOS, it turned itself off.

I already did a RMA though by the time I saw this thread had replies, so I decided to just send it in to ASUS to see if they can fix it. Kind of expensive, but, so far at least, cheaper than replacing.
Thanks for the help though.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Update: Asus replaced the board for me, and now it works great. Unfortunately, I accidentally dropped a hard drive during the process, so now that's broken. :smithicide: Anyway, thanks for the help!