Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah I agree completely. I hadn't previously seen the early comments about waves of immigrants overpowering the need to assimilate and jesus that stuff is blatant

a lot of glenn's success came from, basically, learning to shut the gently caress up about most of the things that show what his actual bad opinions are. which is a good strategy when you have bad opinions about some things and good ones about others and it worked really well for him for more than a decade

while he was focusing almost exclusively on the war on terror, mass surveillance, etc, people who liked his work could easily forget about the kind of things he was blogging about in 2004 (if they ever knew he thought those things at all, which i think 99% of people didn't).

but since the period that roughly started with his complete denialism about all russian interference in the 2016 election (which triggered neverending arguments between him and effectively everyone else not on the right and made him a very attractive guest on fox news as a 'liberal' journalist that didn't believe all that fake bullshit the democrat party is impeaching trump for) it's all been downhill

eke out fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's a lot of funny quotes from his first book, How Would A Patriot Act?: Defending American Values from a President Run Amok (2006)

quote:

Soon after our invasion of Iraq, when it became apparent that, contrary to Bush administration claims, there were no weapons of mass destruction, I began concluding, reluctantly, that the administration had veered far off course from defending the country against the threats of Muslim extremism

quote:

During the lead-up to the invasion, I was concerned that the hell-bent focus on invading Iraq was being driven by agendas and strategic objectives that had nothing to do with terrorism or the 9/11 attacks. The overt rationale for the invasion was exceedingly weak, particularly given that it would lead to an open-ended, incalculably costly, and intensely risky preemptive war. Around the same time, it was revealed that an invasion of Iraq and the removal of Saddam Hussein had been high on the agenda of various senior administration officials long before September 11. Despite these doubts, concerns, and grounds for ambivalence, I had not abandoned my trust in the Bush administration. Between the president’s performance in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the swift removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan, and the fact that I wanted the president to succeed, because my loyalty is to my country and he was the leader of my country, I still gave the administration the benefit of the doubt. I believed then that the president was entitled to have his national security judgment deferred to, and to the extent that I was able to develop a definitive view, I accepted his judgment that American security really would be enhanced by the invasion of this sovereign country

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

the london police were spending like 5 million dollars a month surrounding the embassy with officers in case he tried to leave. "lived openly in the UK" lol jesus christ

you slammed the post button multiple times before even bothering to look at the part of the timeline he's talking about

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

holy poo poo i'm just catching up -- people were saying "mask off" earlier in the thread but that piece about trans people today really loving is completely off

edit: lmao also i see the whole "bi people in opposite-sex relationships are actually straight people faking it" part too, which totally owns and he's definitely doubling down on since he first floated that idea a week or two ago

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 18, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PT6A posted:

You'd think this, but he keeps tweeting new, dumb poo poo to discuss, because he's both incredibly stupid and very hateful.

glenn is the embodiment of that dril tweet and will never, ever log off

all the people correctly mad at him for his TERFism and anti-queer poo poo are 100% guaranteed to make him even more of a hateful bigot, because that's what's happened with every other bad opinion he's held for the past several years

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sephyr posted:

He was literally on Twitter earlier going "HAH! See, all the witch hunters were using the Boulder shootings to talk about non-existent white supremacy, and now it turns out the shooter is a filthy ARAB! Booya!"

I haven't really seen the latest incident described as political extremism, and I hang around very lefty circles. It was mostly the "this keeps happening, we need to do something about guns" talk, mostly.

he moved on to just openly promoting far-right fucks glorifying this

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1374489083901190149
https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1374494151299919877

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

when you write a book that is published as nonfiction with yourself as the main character doing a bunch of rape and sexual harassment, it gives your enemies a lot of pretty easy ammo even if you meant it to be some kind of satire of the other terrible american expats exploiting moscow at the time. i just looked and taibbi's apology called it "stupid, cruel, mean-spirited, and gratuitous" and that sounds about right

he's also since written another successful book and is still a Rolling Stone columnist and has (according to articles about this) in the range of tens of thousands of $5/mo subscribers on substack.

so uh he's still doing quite well for himself, judging by the massive platform and high six figure salary (on the very low end, probably more like low seven) from his substack alone

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Radical gender identity fundamentalists are the biggest threat to white men with 6/7 figure incomes from Substack and it's a disgrace the liberal media won't talk about this problem

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tbh i think it's no coincidence that all these guys turned reactionary after they got rich

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"journalists hate the idea of normal people having access to lawyers" is definitely a totally normal, reasonable, not bad-faith take about the vast right-wing grift machine that raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for murderers in the guise of 'covering legal fees'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

The public defenders working on federal cases aren't the overworked/underpaid public defenders you see elsewhere. Not that I wouldn't be making GBS threads my pants if I had federal charges against me, but this isn't anything close to what anyone charged last summer is facing.

yeah there's plenty of problems and they're still overworked and underpaid, but jobs are fairly prestigious and attract extremely qualified and competent people and they don't face the kind of truly soul-crushing daily wave of cases a lot of local PDs do