Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Super impressed with Nat's sequence break on the Crystal Peak.

With regard to enemy respawns, I don't know if this is a spoiler, but it works by Dark Souls rules. Mostly. There are some critters that always respawn when you leave a room, but for the majority of enemies, they won't respawn until you rest at a bench.

Definite spoiler:
This can be exploited for one particular side-quest. It takes a long time, but can save you from many re-do attempts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For me, the part of the game that I got stuck on was White Palace, because the challenge was of a much different nature than the rest of the game, combined with the scarcity of save spots. It's the kind of challenge where if I solved an early part but was having difficulty on a later segment, I'd start to get worn down and start screwing up the early segments again.

I eventually had to use the wiki page, which gave a charm loadout that basically removed the possibility of having to restart from a bench

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 2, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alxprit posted:

That mystery room is I think an entrance to another area that can only be opened from the other side. Am I right, better memory people?

yeah it leads to Kingdom's Edge, specifically the Coliseum, but the entrance is one way. Don't know whether bats can be used to explode it, though it is worth a try.

Tenebrais posted:

Passing through the Fog Canyon again, I admit I don't understand the decision not to let you get a map for it on the Greenpath->Queen's route. Is it just to get you paying attention to the shadowy black barrier? I'm not sure what benefit that provides that's worth making you deal with a hole in your map until you can get to the other side.

Best I can guess is to offer some encouragement to memorize room layout? Fog Canyon is probably the smallest area in the game, aside from the Abyss and Howling Cliffs, and it doesn't take long to get back to mapped territory so it's not too harrowing to be without the map.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 4, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Edit: double post

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tenebrais posted:

I am reasonably sure you need the monarch wings too, once you're near him, although you might be able to get around it with some careful enemy pogoing.

I did some experimenting, and while I don't claim to be a master platformer, I wasn't able to get the enemies in the right place to pogo to the map. Monarch Wings are required to get to Conifer

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

anilEhilated posted:

I really like Tea's vain attempts to direct Nat to the Soul Sanctum. One of these days...

To be fair, I think you can get to the end of the game without ever picking up Desolate Dive. You don't even need to do a weird pogo trick.

Now if I were Tea, I'd be more anxious on getting Nat to collect the upgrade you get from defeating Dung Defender

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 6, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Simply Simon posted:

This impenetrable black energy preventing me from getting the map broke something in my brain, I've talked about it before. I was utterly convinced that TRUE progress was beyond and kept trying every new weapon, upgrade etc...

In fairness to you, the ability to pass the black barrier is required to get the secret ending. Just not that specific barrier.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I like that the Soul Sanctum soundtrack has the same chord as the rest of the City Tears, just played on an organ to make it spooky.

That's actually another source of information about the lore. If you pay attention to the motifs, it can reveal connections that won't get revealed until much later in the game.

major spoiler My favorite example: compare the music playing during the Elegy of Hallownest in the intro with Hornet's theme.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shame on Tea for not making sure Nat inspected the door.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shitenshi posted:

Regarding the difficulty, I can say the one thing that would bother me if I were playing this game, is the overabundance of spike pits and the need to get over them by timing the parry strikes. To me, it just feels both boring and something akin to those trap iron balls coming out of nowhere like in Soulsborne games. And I get that this game is inspired by that series, but the need to do that often enough still looks generally irritating.

I think Nat has been showing off a bit. Pogoing can get you lots of extras and even allow for sequence breaking, that is true, but before The White Palace there is another way to get to critical spots without pogoing off spikes.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well congrats on finally discovering Kingdom's Edge.

now perhaps there are other low corners that you should investigate

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also given how much you've allowed Nat to walk past, Tea, your protest that you didn't point Nat into the big hopper just to see him get killed is a damnable lie.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

pumpinglemma posted:

Don’t listen to Tea, Nat, I never unequipped the compass except when optimising my charm loadout for very specific situations like boss fights I’d already died on multiple times. And I regret nothing. :colbert:

(I also can’t navigate for poo poo, so you’re not alone there either.)

It's especially hilarious because the reason Tea wants Nat to remove the compass is so he has room for Gathering Swarm, which betrays any sense that he is trying to encourage Nat to take off the training wheels.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Natural 20 posted:

In retrospect I should record my offscreen work and just cut stuff like that into a quick highlight before the next set of episodes air. Because I was pretty surprised.

This is an excellent idea. Do it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

was I the only one quietly hoping Nat would sequence break into Hornet 2?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tenebrais posted:

Only a true fool would continue fighting in the colosseum!

Pretty good showing, only one death on your first try. Even for the "easy" challenge that's a good run.

It looks to me like you're letting your soul meter sit at full a lot more than you were early on. Are the more intense enemies getting into your head, trying to maximise your heal potential? Or are your spells just starting to lag behind the power curve and don't feel worth it?

Well maybe if Tea was as meticulous as making sure Nat got barely missed upgrades as he was at directing him into deathtraps, Nat would be able to play the game the way he was most comfortable. :colbert::colbert::colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Marluxia posted:

Zote can only die the first time you encounter him, if you ignore the vengefly king fight for a period of time. Nat rescued Zote so the Grey Prince is still open. However, Nat would have to rescue Bretta, go save Zote in Deepnest, then redo the first trial of fool. Nat is absolutely not going to do all of that naturally.

I don't know if I'm surprised or not that Nat has completely avoided Deepnest. While it definitely has a lot of ":catstare: NOPE!" energy, in my experience and in playthroughs I've watched you usually get pretty far stuck in before you really want to back out (and by then you've fallen down that big drop - so you can't just retrace your steps)

Also, who wants to take bets on whether or not Nat notices the first Nosk teaser?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

As someone that ragged on Tea in the Spoiler tags, I want to say that I appreciated that he reminded Nat of the Elegant Key.

So, good news: It's time to advanced the plot :toot:

Bad news: Cloth is now doomed :smith:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C-Euro posted:

This is actually the "good" ending for that particular plot thread!

That's assuming that Nat isn't going to accidentally Dream Nail her after the Traitor Lord battle :unsmigghh:.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

YggiDee posted:

I don't know how I heckled it up, but I missed Cloth entirely on my playthrough. As for Hollow Knight themed cat names, the obvious choice is Leg-Eater. (Sly, Tiso, Myla, Millibelle, there's a decent selection of NPCs in there)

Zote.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really appreciate how the game makes sure you are paying attention in the lead up to Broken Vessel - the silence save for the blowing wind, the budgeting of enemies to make sure you notice the infection, even that delay between entering the boss arena and the gate closing are meant to get you to focus on the details. And topping it all off is the boss music - it's probably the most obvious example in this game of a leitmotif used to signify that this fight is important to the story.

That said, I think Nat's resistance to trying to understand the plot the best part of this LP. It's like the "Wow, cool Robot!" meme, but with bugs.

EDIT: The overhead hang prevents you from spike-pogoing all the way across. Though I think you can deliberately die and then shade-pogo to make it all the way.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 22, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I can't imagine why Nat would be so suspicious :allears:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think Galien is the toughest of the ghost bosses, even harder than Markoth

I'm very tempted to spoil Nat on returning to Kingdom's Edge before he fully explores Deepnest. One thing in particular unlocks a very important lore bit that would otherwise be missed.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hollow Knight is great because there's always another hidden alcove you never notice. Heck I have this LP to thank for showing me how to get to the Geo Cache in King Stations

A consequence of this design is that no two reviews are ever the same on saying how a first run "should" progress, because it is different for everyone.

I saw one video that said the normal way to enter City of Tears was via the Tramway in the Ancient Basin

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oooh, Nat found the Grey Mourner! Get ready to make her very sad.

Also Nat's inability to read the map even with the compass would be funny if it weren't so maddening.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nat also still needs to get Isma's Tear

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:sickos:

But to give you some advice on finding Mirabelle, you need a Simple Key to open the door. There are two still out on the world map, both you can reach.

One key is in the Ancient Basin, on a side path to Broken Vessel that you skipped

the other is behind a breakable wall in the Coliseum

EDIT: I just noticed that the first one doesn't show up as unexplored on your map, even if it honestly should.

EDIT2: And if it makes you feel better once you find Mirabelle you can get back 150% of the money that she ran off with.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 3, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LOL everyone on this thread has been careful not to spoil anything for Nat, only for Tea to carelessly reveal what happens to Myla!

Why not just tell him Hornet is his half-sister, why don't you?!

That said, if you visit Myla at the right time frame with the Dream Nail (I believe it's too late for Nat) then you can get a significant clue as to what the infection is

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 5, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

pointlessone posted:

Don't get me wrong. Hollow Knight taps into the lonely isolationist feelings of Super Metroid extremely well, but even when chasing down all the plot threads, there's very little indication of important info vs fluff.

It's a frustrating take on show, don't tell. It's ok to tell a little bit!

The game does tell important parts though. Twice you get dialogue from the Dreamers, and they pretty plainly state that whatever was done to contain the infection isn't working anymore, and yet they are compelled to keep this broken system going.

The Dreamers posted:

A call from beyond the Seals?
By the Vessel, or by that captive light?

Would the Seals break?
They cannot be undone.

But the Vessel weakens.
That plague springs anew.
They must be undone.

Yet still our Seals remain.
Our duty holds.

Yes, Hollow Knight doesn't say a lot, but you do get enough to have a basic sense of what the issue is.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

You know what, screw being jealous. I was cheering Nat that whole fight. Great job on defeating Nosk on your first go.

That said, I suspect that you're going to hate this next part given your pathfinding skills.

EDIT: That, and what his general opinion of spiders.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 10, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So technically Nat can get to the first ending with the upgrades he has, although it requires a sequence-break trick to reach Monomon

However I do hope that Tea directs Nats to revisiting the Royal Waterways to get Isma's Tear.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

His official name is Hungry Knight

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

C-Euro posted:

Cowardly Patreon members giving Nat an out to his haphazard exploration. Sad!

Also lol I did the exact same thing to poor old Poggy Thorax or whoever when I first played this game.

Well at least he now knows. If he'd done that to Marissa there would have been some very strong words.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I wonder how hard Tea is biting his lip whenever Nat uses the Dream Nail on everything except the thing it can interact with

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:stonk:
Nat, you're a monster! A monsterous monster!! :mad:

Tea, you better make Nat finish the Path of Pain as penance for eating Joni's soul!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey, it's Bug :drac:!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

That descent down into the Abyss always gives me chills. It just keeps going down and down. There's nary a hint of what might be at the bottom, or even if there is a bottom! And there are no aggressive enemies to distract you as you make your way down. It's just so foreboding.

The only other time I'd experienced that in a videogame was this one side dungeon I discovered in Dungeon Siege. After going down a large hole you are taken to an empty, massive labyrinth. The game offers no hints of where to go, and is just dead silent as you try to find your way through. I eventually found a gate that I thought was the end of the maze, only to discover that there was a second part!

I never got to the end. It was late at night when I found the place, and the game takes you back to the last checkpoint when you exit out. But I'm still a little curious to see what's at the end of that maze.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I did not think Nat would return to Hallownest's Summit.

And I certainly didn't think that upon his return, he again misses the one thing his Dreamnail will interact with.

Black Robe posted:

Every time he looks at the full map it hurts inside to see areas that come up as explored when they haven't been.

Especially frustrating when you consider that he's been able to get Isma's Tear since episode 19.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well grats on getting the first ending Nat.

And I'm glad your going to keep playing the game, because there's so much more to uncover in just the base game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I'm still not 100% on what "this" is, exactly.

While the Seer or the Pale Lady may still have some dialogue to this effect, Nat did miss out on a clue by not checking on Myla before the Crossroads became infected. If you Dreamnail her, it shows that there is an intelligence behind the orange infection