Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Tau Wedel posted:

I love Yorkshire Tea's increasing exasperation at Nat's ability to sight read and defeat bosses on the first attempt. :allears:

I'm loving it, but a certain boss fight will probably legitimately upset me if Nat does it on the first attempt.

The Watcher Knights are the bane of my steel soul runs. Still haven't finished a run. And I'm trying to clear the speedrun achievements too, so that just makes it worse. I'll be curious to see if Nat can figure out the double jump skip to get up there, he's in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Soul Master wrecked me the first time around so seeing chump him was something. Still, his continued success gives me hope we might get to see GPZ, NKG, etc

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Regarding modding, there are a few videos out there showcasing the Hollow Point mod. It gives the Knight an AK-47 instead of the nail. Spoilers if you go looking, obviously.

Gun% speedruns.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Epicmissingno posted:

Congratulations, you beat Soul Master and got the floor-breaking power-up!

Now go back and do it again, but harder.

...Okay, I wasn't expecting you to actually see and attempt this. Kudos on doing as well as you did against Soul Tyrant on the first try, even if you didn't beat it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shame on Tea for not making sure Nat inspected the door.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The game is hard and you are that good, just accept the compliment and move on, sir.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

From that fight and the discussion afterwards, I unironically think Nat is going to love the hardest challenges of Hollow Knight. This is like seeing someone discover your favourite TV show for the first time. :3: Nice thinking with the Soul Tyrant as well - knowing that he wasn’t going to be able to work out how to dodge the attack before dying and instead latching onto an alternate strategy that still let him recover health. I think he actually would be able to beat the Tyrant with a few more attempts, although it’s also very valid to come back later with more health, soul, charm notches and experience.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

From that first attempt, I honestly feel like you would have been able to get Soul Tyrant in a few more tries with your current level of upgrades. You had gotten the hang of dodging and healing pretty handily.

Edit: I love how while Lemm is a grump who tells you to go away, he will just go on and on about Hallownest's history to you given an excuse. While being antisocial, he doesn't just want to hoard knowledge, he wants to share it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit posted:

The game is hard and you are that good, just accept the compliment and move on, sir.

What playing videogames online has taught me is that no matter how talented you are at a game there are a tonne of people who are more talented who have spent billions of hours playing.

SirSamVimes posted:

From that first attempt, I honestly feel like you would have been able to get Soul Tyrant in a few more tries with your current level of upgrades. You had gotten the hang of dodging and healing pretty handily.

It felt very doable. One of the issues from an LP pacing perspective that I'm going to have is when I come up against bosses that need 3+ attempts. I avoided refighting Soul Tyrant pretty much entirely because of this consideration.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The dream bosses are a great place to use the Fragile ___ charms from Leg Eater. Since defeat there doesn't count as a death, the charms don't break.

So, question for everybody who is not Nat or otherwise blind (Seriously, no one look at this if you're coming in blind): How are we going to make sure he gets the reaction to Millibelle stealing his money on camera?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dareon posted:

So, question for everybody who is not Nat or otherwise blind (Seriously, no one look at this if you're coming in blind): How are we going to make sure he gets the reaction to Millibelle stealing his money on camera?

We're going to have to rely on Tea's sense of timing. I'm sure he won't let us down.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

This part has been absolutely killing me and we've been close a few times...

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I think Mega Man robot masters are tougher than most boss fights in Hollow Knight just because of how in-your-face they are. You can lose to a lot of them in 5 seconds before having a chance to learn anything about the fight. Like off the cuff, Elec Man, Quick Man, Charge Man, Shadow Man, Wood Man, Air Man, Magma Man... all of these just rush you down or spam the screen full of projectiles and you'll be looking at a game over screen before you know what's up.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Shame on Tea for not making sure Nat inspected the door.

Yeah, this is painful, given Nat's playstyle with the hadoken. If you don't want to spoil Nat that much, you could at least point toward reading the item description, it specifically calls out Soul Sanctrum iirc.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Dareon posted:

The dream bosses are a great place to use the Fragile ___ charms from Leg Eater. Since defeat there doesn't count as a death, the charms don't break.

You should be wary of looking at this even if you've played Hollow Knight - it's a spoiler for an event a lot of people won't know about. (I've been resisting the temptation to post about it for a little while now...)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

For the record, I would watch the hell out of a video that is just Nat grinding out one of the tough bosses in this game especially with how quickly he learns and picks up on boss patterns.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dareon posted:

Maybe just mention that she gets new dialogue when the balance goes above a certain point (true) and that he might want to be careful about how much he deposits when he's not recording? I don't think there's a completely non-spoilery way to do it, unfortunately. (Likewise, don't read this.)

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Regarding the difficulty, I can say the one thing that would bother me if I were playing this game, is the overabundance of spike pits and the need to get over them by timing the parry strikes. To me, it just feels both boring and something akin to those trap iron balls coming out of nowhere like in Soulsborne games. And I get that this game is inspired by that series, but the need to do that often enough still looks generally irritating.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shitenshi posted:

Regarding the difficulty, I can say the one thing that would bother me if I were playing this game, is the overabundance of spike pits and the need to get over them by timing the parry strikes. To me, it just feels both boring and something akin to those trap iron balls coming out of nowhere like in Soulsborne games. And I get that this game is inspired by that series, but the need to do that often enough still looks generally irritating.

I think Nat has been showing off a bit. Pogoing can get you lots of extras and even allow for sequence breaking, that is true, but before The White Palace there is another way to get to critical spots without pogoing off spikes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Love the visual storytelling in this are with all of the bug corpses and journal tablets strewn about, and exits hastily blocked off with furniture. Some bad poo poo went down here for sure.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Pogoing off spikes in the platforming sections is basically training for pogoing off enemies in combat, which feels amazing when you can do it consistently.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Love the visual storytelling in this are with all of the bug corpses and journal tablets strewn about, and exits hastily blocked off with furniture. Some bad poo poo went down here for sure.

One touch I always liked is that the bug corpses are, from the outside, visibly intact.
That doesn't mean they're fresh - they're skeletons. But bugs have exoskeletons, so you wouldn't see the difference except close up.
It manages to make things like the huge charnel pit in the soul sanctum both less edgy and more horrifying than if it were bones and skulls.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shitenshi posted:

It might be that it's a lot easier and more fun than it looks; almost everyone I've ever seen play this who was not thrilled with the idea of doing spike pogos quickly got very good at it. There's a sort of rhythm to it that makes it juuust challenging enough that you feel cool for having done it, without actually feeling hard. And as mentioned it's completely optional and only used to get collectables, get around faster, and complete an optional area for the secret ending.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Black Robe posted:

I'm rewatching Nat's LP of Symphony of the Night and he and Tea get into a long conversation about signposts and being pointed towards upgrades, and how being able to annotate a map is important to Nat, and Tea mentions that he just bought Hollow Knight and you can do that in that game.

And now here we are watching as Nat utterly fails to note anything on his map. :allears:

I think that has to do partially with the fact that the game won't give you the map until you reach a bench, and often when he's reached a bench he's usually trying to figure out where to go next, so what he's already seen isn't foremost on his mind (that and he might not be 100% sure where it is on the map). Being able to annotate a map is important, but it also relies on the game giving you the map.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I gotta agree, one of the best improvements Xenoblade 1 DE added was able to put pins on the map, and the explored portion autoupdates in real time.

If the compass still showed your position even in terra incognita, so you could pin the current position even before getting to a bench it'd still be passable (and justify the 1 notch cost for what should be a basic feature in a 'vania).
As it is, the pins seem a weird afterthought with major usability problems. I'm not asking for Etrian Odyssey mapmaking* but convenience features should be convenient.

*because those can only work with turn based overland movement

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
As you have to use the menu Map to pin stuff, you can pin stuff in unmapped territory if you have the Compass charm on. It floats in black space until you update your map, but it works.

EDIT : To clarify, the Compass charm works in unmapped areas, it's just than LT for quickmap does not.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The pins were added as free DLC about a year after the game's release, so they literally were an afterthought :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tylana posted:

As you have to use the menu Map to pin stuff, you can pin stuff in unmapped territory if you have the Compass charm on. It floats in black space until you update your map, but it works.

EDIT : To clarify, the Compass charm works in unmapped areas, it's just than LT for quickmap does not.

C-Euro posted:

The pins were added as free DLC about a year after the game's release, so they literally were an afterthought :v:

Yeesh. Yeah that's bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omobono posted:

Yeesh. Yeah that's bad.

If you think that's bad, apparently in version 1.0 there wasn't an audio cue for when Cornifer was nearby. I can't remember if his paper trail was still present or not though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cornifer's humming and his scattered papers were added in the same release, 1.0.0.7.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I sure am glad I played the game three title updates deep!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Alxprit posted:

I sure am glad I played the game three title updates deep!

Same. I rarely feel the need to play games anywhere near their initial release date these days.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Solitair posted:

Same. I rarely feel the need to play games anywhere near their initial release date these days.

I still have a few Stellaris 1.0 mechanics in my head. It sucks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Desolate Dive is what the first ground pound spell was called.

I was gonna congratulate you on how well you managed to fight those large hoppy boys until, well, you struggled.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Ah, Kingdom's Edge... a fun little diversion that hides many a secret. There's a lot to do here that one can't typically do from their first visit here, no matter where they come at it from. We shall see how it shakes up.

Desolate Dive can do damage, Descending Dark just does more, I think that's the only real difference. I never use it for combat, but it has some interesting applications with i-frames, from what I remember. A bit too technical for me, really.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

lol that bouncy boy at end is one of the worst place in the game. I hated it so much my first time. Especially since the shade spawns INSIDE that area instead of before it. It's incredibly easy to lose geo here.

Alxprit posted:

Desolate Dive can do damage, Descending Dark just does more, I think that's the only real difference. I never use it for combat, but it has some interesting applications with i-frames, from what I remember. A bit too technical for me, really.

Yep, that's it. And yeah it's massively broken if you know how to use it. The i-frames lasts from the time you hit the ground to about a second afterward? So you can use it as a "get out of jail" card if you're in a bad spot, along with the damage from it. There are other methods of attacking that does more damage but none that makes you invincible during it. I think there IS one other difference, Desolute Dive hits once, but Descending Dark can hit multiple times?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You can bait those big stompy ones into a repeatable pattern if you dash from left to right at just the right rhythm. It's tricky to pull off at first but once you do it once or twice it clicks and as long as you can position yourself so that your dashes go across the spikes that room becomes a lot more manageable. Fighting those seem like the one time where the game goes from being the Dark Souls of metroidvanias to the Sekiro of metroidvanias.

You're probably the only person I've seen choose the horrible pit of death before the big inviting house right next to the fancy ornate bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I have a habit of just not upgrading my nail. At all. This makes Kingdom's Edge... very slow. Though learning to also not fight big dumb things helps too. Primal Aspids are a real threat because my dodging game is weak though.

Also, huzzah for taking damage that knock you into spikes and then respawns you right under an enemy! :D So yes. Best way to do that fight? Just leave.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 13, 2021