Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I wonder what the first boss that gives him trouble will be. Not going to speculate obviously because spoilers but I've got a few ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Personally I'd drop the soul gain charm and use long nail, but that's just me. The extra soul you get from it doesn't amount to much, especially when you're good enough at the game to have got past Hornet without dying.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

True, but which thing do you use the most, the hadoken, or the nail?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Um... no. It looks nothing like a flash game. This is a magnimonious troll. I am triggered and spouting Fanta.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mostly played similar to Tea as in I also used soul for healing almost exclusively, but like others I'm enjoying watching a different, more spell-heavy playstyle than my own and most blind LP's. If only because watching Nat have to adjust later on in the way Tea seems to be trying to make him avoid having to do will be interesting. It's usually different for everyone, but everyone eventually comes across an encounter that is just an Absolute Bastard toward their style of play, and since the spell-heavy style isn't one I've really watched before (outside of ridiculous speedruns n'poo poo) I'm curious to see which one will be Nat's first Absolute Bastard Encounter.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'll happily eat my words if wrong, but I reckon first death is soon now :allears:

and I don't mean Team Cherry "soon"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well, poo poo.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OMG I just realised if someone asked me what my favourite zone in Hollow Knight was I wouldn't know what to answer.

Except "marry me" but that's beside the point.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:derp:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That's how I felt with BotW. I'd see an enemy and be thinking I'm sure there are lots of clever things I could do here. I could drop loads of metal objects to conduct the electricity over there and get him to walk over it and and get fried. I could set fire to the grass next to that cliff with a fire arrow and use the updraft to glide up to where that boulder is perched and push it down to crush him. I could chop this tree down, freeze the log in time and hit it with my hammer so it flies into him like a freight train when it unfreezes.

...or I could just run up and twat him with my sword. Yeah that seems like the most effective way. I'll do that.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

...and the Seer said to the little ghost "hey buddy, you ever tried DMT?"

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Solitair posted:

This thread convinced me to buy the game. I just finished Greenpath. Dunno if I'll catch up with Nat before he beats the game, but I'll try.

Go a different route. Just because you can.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I played a bit a while ago and just beelined Deepnest from fungal wastes, where you fall in from the top. That's probably one of the least-used routes but one of the more challenging fun ones, and by the time you get to City of tears you can upgrade your nail twice, which beefs you up nicely for the next whatever you decide to do. It's a nice little reward for hacking your way through all those spiders with the vanilla nail.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ah poo poo sorry. I just got carried away with the discussion. Guess there's no point spoiler tagging my post now...

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I needed to have the Quickslash charm equipped before I could do that Greenpath pogo challenge and even then it took me about 20 tries.

(trying to be super careful w/spoilers from now on since I don't recall if that has been seen yet.)

Also, he's totally going to one-shot the Path of Pain and make us all quit gaming en masse isn't he. (DON'T hover over this one lol)

If I were going to offer any advice at all on something I know has definitely been seen but may possibly have been forgotten: it would be wise to spend ALL the geo you have on charms whenever you can, even if you think you're never going to use them. Firstly, because you need to possess certain numbers of them to be able to buy the slots from the shop at the bottom of the forgotten crossroads, and secondly, though I'll admit this is a much lesser concern in this playthrough, geo can be lost forever but possessions cannot. Oh and thirdly, you could well find yourself trying out some of the useless-sounding charms for fun or for niche use in some of the unique challenges out there.

There are more to charms than at first meets the eye... that is all I'll say. <-- this is not really a spoiler at all, I don't think, but to be on the ultra-safe side have Tea hover over it first to make that judgement.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There are different types of difficulty though. There's difficulty rooted in a lack of knowledge, and there's difficulty rooted in how hard executing the actions needed to get through a section is. I'd amend that question to "could a player who is allowed access to any walkthrough or youtube video detailing how to get past a boss or platforming section complete the game without dying on their first go?" This would eliminate the need to be able to know the future and test them purely on skill of execution.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Black Robe posted:

I get what you're saying, but you've got two completely separate arguments here. Not knowing in advance how to beat bosses has nothing to do with difficulty, it's just how games work - I can't think of any game where you're told before you get to them exactly what attacks and patterns you're going to face.

Into the Breach has this exact thing as one of its main mechanics.

e: Although that's a completely different genre so coming back to more twitch-based games, stuff like Hades will give you ample warning in the form of a circle on the ground before an enemy is about to do an attack so that you can avoid it. There are ways to make attacks feel less like cheap shots but only some games use them.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 2, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nanite bugs, colloquially known as Grey Goo, are what repair the broken signs.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

TIGER UPPERCUT!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You can bait those big stompy ones into a repeatable pattern if you dash from left to right at just the right rhythm. It's tricky to pull off at first but once you do it once or twice it clicks and as long as you can position yourself so that your dashes go across the spikes that room becomes a lot more manageable. Fighting those seem like the one time where the game goes from being the Dark Souls of metroidvanias to the Sekiro of metroidvanias.

You're probably the only person I've seen choose the horrible pit of death before the big inviting house right next to the fancy ornate bench.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just clicked this so fast

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

You mean ar-Tea-ficially?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

I can't believe Hallownest was inside of a Monster can this whole time.

I heard it was one of the Devs at team cherry that spilt Fanta on the ground and all the ants drank it and went crazy and that was how hollow knight was born.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Eight legs good, six legs bad."

I for one cannot wait to see what Team Cherry come up with for Silksongs Deepnest analogue. In 2030.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah the purpose of that room, and a few others like it is to show you to always check the area around/below/above a boss arena before engaging the fight, if you have the option.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I didn't know about that one, interesting. The one I had in mind was the chandelier.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Glad I'm not the only one that completely forgets about howling wraiths because it's given to you too late in the game, well after your internalised moveset has calcified.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 29, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm pretty sure he did but now I'm second guessing myself. I have various playthroughs of games on as background noise sometimes and occasionally they blend together.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hey Tea, are you going to tell Nat about Overcharming? It isn't something that is particularly intuitive to find on your own and could make for some interesting and tense gameplay sessions.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That settles it. Nat should definitely spend the rest of the game overcharmed.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

HS Bee C

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

pointlessone posted:

"Hmm. That seems ominous. Anyway, WHERE'S MY MONEY?"

Nat's avoidance of the actual story in favor of vengeance for minor in game slights will always be fantastic.

Ok, unpopular opinion incoming...

The "story" in this game, in my opinion (which is the correct and objective viewpoint of course) isn't all that. Every playthrough I watch has comments saying "DrEaMnAiL EvErYtHiNg!!!" but in the vast majority of cases all you get are vague phrases that mean next to nothing, or actual nothing.

Ever since Dark Souls was a big thing I've been so over this vague, open-to-interpretation piecemeal maybe it means this, or maybe it means that, or maybe it's nothing at all, just flavour style of storytelling that when I encounter it now I belligerantly refuse to humour it. Either put an actual story in the game, or don't. If every other aspect of the gameplay stands up just fine without the story (which in this game it does, and then some) then it's fine to decide not to have one. But if you're going to put one in there, then I personally would rather it was in there, so to speak, rather than this wispy, fragmented half-story that takes watching several hours-long youtube videos to put together. If I want to indulge in that type of gameplay I'd rather do it in a game that is first and foremost a game about piecing together a story, e.g. Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, Gone Home, Heaven's Vault, because those games provide generally much better quality storys and have unique mechanics built in to help you to figure them out in interesting ways. I don't find that it works for me in a game that is ostensibly a platformer, or an action RPG, with a cryptic story bolted on that was not a main priority.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Hollow Knight's story is pretty clear. :shrug:

Not really, no.

It's fine that it's there and I'm happy that there are people that love spending hours replaying the game in different ways to try to get all the pieces of the puzzle, but it just doesn't work for me.

There is, for me, absolutely no difference between the story being present in its current form, or there being no story at all. And, for me, my experience of playing Hollow Knight didn't suffer for that fact.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 5, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alliance & Locust

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

That midwife encounter is like when you need to go for a piss in the bushes on the walk home and you find the creepy old man in his lucky blue mac.

"Surprise!" :shepface:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Marluxia posted:

Oh man, that nail arts. I know it's crazy good but I could never use it properly, or even think to use it.

I was the same, they're given to you too late, well after you've learned how to control your character, and everything in the game can be gotten past without them so they inevitably fall by the wayside. Game needed enemies that could only be killed by dream arts to force you to use them, but then that would have conflicted with the open-ended nature of the go-anywhere in any-order nature of the game design because it would have made those enemies gates that you couldn't get past if you hadn't discovered an out-of-the-way ability.

They designed a game with a combat system where if you hit things, they die. Then they added a function where if you hold down the button plus a direction to hit things, and then release it, they die... but they die anyway with the first method, so you just carry on using the first method, because it's easier. Because why wouldn't you.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Some Secret Rooms (don't click this until you've finished the game and want to see if there are any you missed.) It isn't all of them by any stretch, but there are some obscure ones here that I never even knew about or saw in anyone else's playthrough, and some that are extensions of places I thought I'd fully discovered but hadn't. It's crazy how many nooks and crannies are in this game.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I love that you post these updates right when I get back from a late finish at work.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think it was resident evil 2 remake that had The Map Design That Everyone Else Should Just Copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I can't say I ever questioned why the dream bosses. They were there and I had a nail, what more could I want?

I do agree that the paucity of hints towards the importance of essence is a flaw.

This was my attitude, but toward the whole game.

"Amazing world to explore, cool combat to be had, let's do it. Don't need a reason!"