Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Finally, the best McElroy content is coming back.

Now we just need to get Griffin and Justin playing random games together again and we're all set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The World Inferno posted:

Vice actually wrote about Adventure Zone's woes. https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dp...erboard_twitter

Cathartic in a way to see one of em' comment on the criticism. Wonder how many people will jump back on the ship for the mini-arcs / next season if they right the course.

I'll certainly give it a try. I really just miss the early balance days of mostly goofs and some puzzle solving with checks and fights. They don't need to do anything fancy, just get back to their roots a bit

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

rollick posted:

Yahoo gone, It's a Departure offthealbumPuttingtheDaystoBed gone, questions getting stale -- maybe a good time for a reboot.

Munch squad the podcast outside a podcast incoming

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Apparently the new TAZ is a total mess. They forgot to put in the Gary recap so it's just like a minute of dead silence and gary music. Travis telling characters what they're feeling. Pointlessly easy boss battles. Lots and lots of NPCs

Really runs the whole gamut of problems with Graduation.

The good news is that it's this one->finale->TTAZZ->new campaign that Griffin has been developing. Hopefully they can right the ship with the next one because I'd love to start listening again but man.. I just can't do it with Graduation

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I have made some attempts to get into TAZ in the past, but I started with graduation and well... it didn't stick.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to get into TAZ? Which campaign or episode should I start on?

Just start with "Balance" which is their first campaign. After the first few episodes it moves away from the original D&D module and into entirely custom content, and then shoots off like a rocket ship from there.

Murder on Rockport LTD (arc 2 of Balance I believe), Pedals to the Metal (arc 3) and the uh.. time loop one who's name I forget (which I believe is arc 5) are the stand out parts for me. Arc 4 and Arc 6 are pretty ok, Arc 7 is really hit or miss imo, I didn't really like it. The finale really stuck the landing for me though so it's all worth it!

Amnesty (campaign 2) is worth a listen if you're into the more monster of the week/buffy-ish kinda thing. But there's a few parts that just didn't work for me so I eventually fell off. And uh.. Graduation is.. well.. yeah

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Stroop There It Is posted:

...The Gary thing is wrong, maybe it was true earlier but it wasn't in the version I am currently listening to? There is no Gary intro (just starts with the normal theme music, no weird silence) but that's for a reason that becomes obvious once you, you know, listen to the podcast episode you're posting about.

And while I'm not far enough in to say the other stuff does or doesn't happen, yes, there are a lot of NPCs because this is the climactic battle where the party and all their allies--so... the NPCs--defend the school. At least thus far, there has not been any NPCs-talking-to-each-other-for-5-minutes bullshit that he used to do earlier on.

Ah ok, people were talking about it online, but I imagine they probably fixed it in that case. Or I got fooled!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Did you actually listen to the episode?

Which, graduation?

nah I just read a short summary and it sounded kinda bad. I'm thinking of giving it a try once it's complete to see if maybe it holds my attention better after it all comes out?

Listened to all the other ones outside of I think the last couple of amnesty when I sorta lost interest

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man BDG REALLY had the right idea by specifically keeping distance between himself and his audience

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

wait did the mcelboys actually run liberty lender ads? saw a random article mention it and uh, jesus if true

They ran a whole ton of insanely sketchy ads in the beginning years, so I seriously wouldn't be surprised.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SpacePig posted:

His response make him almost sound like he's, like, a part-owner or investor or something. I think a lot of people would like to consolidate our debt into a high interest loan with unlimited credit!

Honestly the scammiest part about that company isn't even the predatory interest rates. It's that they don't let you pay the loan early, so you're absolutely going to be paying it for years on top of the terrible interest rates and there's nothing you can do about it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'd guess racism is referring to the great debate on whether it was racist to have a Hispanic character named Taco or if it was racist to have a character named Taco who wasn't Hispanic.

I think Takko being hispanic is entirely a fan invention iirc so this was always kind of weird to me

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I was going to post something about Brian angling to get a job making digital shorts for snl but drat, I bet that patreon money is way better. Plus his vibe doesn’t seem like it would gel with that show anyway.

He's got like 4k patreons, so if even 50% of them are at the $5 tier that's still a good 15k a month with Patreon taking a 25% cut (presuming the other 50% are somewhat split between tiers)

He's making out pretty dang good for sure, and good for him. The guy is insanely talented

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

There were two good episodes, the one where the firbolg takes his first accounting class, and the one where they take the information gathering class. And then they never went to class again

There's definitely an alternate world where the classes figure heavily into the campaign with a grading mechanic, and they need to get a certain GPA to get access to some sort of special room in order to advance the plot or something at the start, nice and low stakes. It's a much better world imo

Could even have slight of hand checks for passing notes with answers and such

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Apparently the new and final adventure zone is out

Still not listening to it, but it sounds like there's a kinda directionless battle and then it just.. sorta ends?

4 weeks till Griffin's next campaign, hopefully it'll be worth a listen!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The ring from balance was a really cool fan creation honestly, I really wish it had seen more uses as it could've made for some pretty amazing goofs.

Divine Wood was absolutely perfect though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Haven't had the chance to listen to 420 yet, but I think I said at one point that 420 should be their final episode so it would sorta suck if that turned out to be prophetic

I would love to see them branch out though to some more non podcast content. Bring back gameplay overviews, play video games in dumb/fun ways like world of peacecraft and the nuzlock run. I definitely miss that era of McElroys

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The trailer is pretty cool, and I'm definitely interested in the setting, but it's kinda weird that it features 3 characters so prominently since according to Justin they haven't actually created their characters yet:
https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/1389251998466387969

Kinda hoping coral headed armor dude makes it in though cause that's a fun character concept. Though I guess they couldn't talk easily which does admittedly limit the potential for goofs

I'm actually really looking forward to the next two episodes. I've heard really good things about the world gen game they're playing and I think it might lend itself well to their style

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Haven't had a chance to listen to the prologue, but I'm excited to give it a try!

I caved and made a donation to get into the Charlieverse and oh man, it's so good. Despite their stumbles in campaigns their one shots are always so good, it's pretty incredible

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Dude looks like both Mythbusters.

:drat:

Honestly really good posting all around everyone up till now, when I posted

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Yea I'm not listening right now because it just did not make for good work audio. I usually have podcasts on as bg noise more than anything so actual lore building important sounding stuff does not work for me there. It just all gets lost in my brain and I forget what happened haha. I'll probably listen once the actual campaign starts though.

Tbf I feel that way about every DND podcast. If I try to listen to them while working I just end up having to rewind it a lot cause I missed something

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

HEY DO YOU LIKE THE ADVENTURE ZONE WELL YOU'LL LOVE OUR MUCH WORSE D&D PODCAST

The competing podcast jumbotrons were always great. The audacity to pay for that is wild to me, but I suppose it's a good way to at least get a bunch of people to hear the name

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Now that the prologue is done I'm probably going to pick it up and binge listen. Glad to hear it's a bit of a return to form!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I genuinely think it’s just that tours are a huge part of their income for the year and they really need to get back out there asap.

You'd think they'd make more off the digital shows considering they wouldn't have all the overhead of the actual venue taking a chunk out of ticket sales. Then again, I have no idea how their agreement structure works and they wouldn't be able to sell merch so maybe that's the issue

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Man I dun care anymore, I'm selfish. I need Monster Factory again. :(

This but gameplay overviews or Griffin's weird semi let's play things

I'd subscribe to a Patreon to watch Griffin and Justin play games in weird ways

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

How dare you try to be an important central character in this story I'm supposed to be writing in reaction to your choices?

Isn't the real complaint people have about main character syndrome that it's one person trying to be the main character and make everything about them at the expense of the other 3-5 people that are also playing characters that are central to the story that they're collaboratively writing?

I need to get back to adventure zone now that everyone's saying it's good again. I've started to listen to the prologue a quiet year campaign, but it's a little hard to follow since the listener can't see the board that they're drawing on

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, this can be a problem in organic tabletop RP if someone is actually steamrolling over other players, but TAZ is a podcast where they can and have edited out or redone scenes that don't work so it's just the very normal people who psychoanalyze every sentence Travis says.

Hell, there was only one character in TAZ who explicitly had a Chosen One backstory and it wasn't Travis...

Yeah I meant to add to the post that I don't think it would really apply to a podcast cause as you mentioned, they can just kinda edit out scenes that don't work or like, do a second take or something

Though I guess it'd still be a problem in something like Critical Role where it's done live. But like.. they're all professional actors so I'm sure they work a decent chunk of that stuff out behind the scenes before ever going on camera. At least to a certain extent

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Android Blues posted:

If you've ever actually read the Socratic dialogues he is completely insufferable. There's one where he argues that rhetoric is an inherently evil art and only pure logic should be practised, in the form of him having a back-and-forth with a famous rhetorician where he constantly goes "Hm! Very interesting! It sounds like you have it all figured out! But then what if...?". He sounds like the worst dude to argue with in the world, and funnily enough their take is at least 70% accurate on a gut feeling.

This point is illustrated beautifully in Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, where I desperately wish there was a quest to punch Socrates right in this dumb face for the crap he puts me through

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chieves posted:

Griffin's doing some more Guy Fieri LTTP streaming again on Youtube.

Not sure the 1-hit KO is making this any more fun though

OHKO things only really work if you're going for the classic "getting mad at videogames" kaizo vibe or you're really, really good at whatever game you're playing imo

Cause if you're not really good at the game it ends up like what I caught of Griffin's first stream which was him getting killed by the same eyeball statue like 50% of the attempts

Makes it a weird choice for Griffin to stream unedited, but people seem to be enjoying it online so more power to them

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

It's all been downhill since the 'no blue language' extreme restraints Candlenights Ad.

It's all been downhill since they stopped having extreme restraints as a sponsor period

Man some of those were funny

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Cool Games Inc was a good podcast before that news came out

I still regularly reference Hugh Jackman's Huge Actin'

It was a good podcast

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Jesus christ :psyduck:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Pretty sure it's illegal for businesses in Florida to ask potential patrons about their vaccination status, though I don't know if that applies only to businesses operating in the state or if that also extends to any business that's just passing through. It's probably not worth the headache to find out.

afaik it's not illegal, but I'm not a fancy lawyer person

CEO is hosted in Florida and they're requiring vaccines and mandatory masks in the building, though the host also wrote out that he's all too happy to pay any applicable fines in order to have a safe event

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lmao

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I feel like the whole rockport express arc from the first campaign was really in their wheelhouse and wish they'd keep more of that level of tone, I also liked petal to the metal as well

I was waiting for ethersea to finish before I started to listen, since I feel like these things always work better when you can do a bunch at a time. I've got some travel coming up, so I'll probably download a bunch of it and listen to it then. Sounds like it sort of fumbled the ending but started off a lot better?

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 20, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eke out posted:

alternatively: no new players but hire a DM and griffin is the fourth. i'm sure they could compensate brennan enough to do it lol

:hmmyes: I actually think this would be the real best thing they could do. Get someone who's an experienced DM who can run a full campaign and let them focus on goofs and stuff

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

they also want to forget justin being incredibly low energy and uninvested, trying to do the least RPing possible in almost any given scene

This'd probably be fine tbh if they stuck with funny comedy rpg podcast where they don't take things especially seriously

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Saw it on the first stop and it was crazy good. Though they never did get the accordion connected correctly so the songs were missing a key component lol

I imagine they fixed that for the later stops though!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

more falafel please posted:

The boys have this problem that a lot of tables have, where they describe what they want to do in game mechanic terms rather than saying what they want to do in real-life terms and having the GM tell them what to roll.

Like "I'm gonna do an investigation check on this room" instead of "I want to look around the room and see if I notice anything strange" "ok, why don't you roll me an investigation check"

You know, I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's true.

I've been watching a bunch of critical role lately and they're generally really good about that, and it really does make things flow better. Plus it allows them to look for something specific, roll well, and possibly fail to find it because it's not there without giving away things they didn't even know to look for yet.

NADDPOD is also pretty good about that, but iirc they do slip into that sometimes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I gotta listen to it, but I kinda like the idea of the evil deeds being "get a break room from definitely not disney" at least

Sounds low stakes enough that they can have a lot of fun with it, but still have things happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sankara posted:

Can't seem to access the third Steeplechase episode?

Worked for me yesterday, did they pull it for some reason?

Listened to all the available episodes driving to a tournament. It seems pretty good, but for whatever reason I can't seem to really get into it? Definitely a big improvement from what I listened to for graduation though that's for sure